• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is now fully playable, from start to finish, on the PC via custom RPCS3 build at 60fps

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/meta...t-to-finish-on-the-pc-via-custom-rpcs3-build/

Back in August, we informed you about Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the PC via the Playstation 3 emulator RPCS3. And today, we are happy to report that the game is fully playable on a custom version of RPCS3, from start to finish.

Furthermore, the game’s performance has been significantly improved. While there are still some drops below 60fps in some scenes, most of the game can now run with 60fps. For comparison, the original PS3 version is running at 30fps. Moreover, this custom version of RPCS3 fixes numerous bugs and glitches.

What this ultimately means is that PC gamers can fully enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4. In fact, PC gamers can run the game with much better performance than what Konami and Kojima originally offered. And this right here is why emulators are so important, even for newer consoles like the PS3.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm probably going to play through this and upload various sections to youtube at the highest resolutions i can render

right now we're stuck with abysmal bitrates from 2008ish, it's maddening

mgs4 has aged gracefully i feel, its relevancy has only grown over time

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
MGS4 was my favorite in the series (probably because it was my first). I'd love to see if get a remake on PS5 or at least remastered on PS4 (and even PC).

Last edited:
Sony has nothing to do with this. Its up to Konami if they want their game to be modified to be playable on the PS4.
Considering that it was never sold on any other platforms, and just how many references to Playstation are in the game, it's extremely likely that Sony paid for permanent exclusivity and it will never, ever officially come to any other platform. It wasn't even remastered for PS4, if I had to guess I'd say it's a similar situation to The Twin Snakes, where neither party can do anything without the other's say so and they can't come to any kind of agreement.

Sony has nothing to do with this. Its up to Konami if they want their game to be modified to be playable on the PS4.
Nah man. If some albeit amazing coders can whip up ps3 emulation with zero documentation, dont tell me Sony couldnt support this on ps5, shit maybe even the ps4 in some paired down, not accurate to the cycle but essentially still plays most of the games manner, the way original xbox emulation sad for the 360. Not perfect but...something.

Tldr: sony could do something. So could konami in the case of mgs4 but there are also a ton of really good ps3 exclusive games still trapped on that console, for no real reason other than they (Sony) dont give a damn. Stop making excuses for them.

Last edited:
I'm glad. I myself finished the game on ps3 but I understand people who never had a ps3.
I just recently finished Bayonetta 2 on CEMU.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah man. If some albeit amazing coders can whip up ps3 emulation with zero documentation, dont tell me Sony couldnt support this on ps5, shit maybe even the ps4 in some paired down, not accurate to the cycle but essentially still plays most of the games manner, the way original xbox emulation sad for the 360. Not perfect but...something.

Tldr: sony could do something. So could konami in the case of mgs4 but there are also a ton of really good ps3 exclusive games still trapped on that console, for no real reason other than they (Sony) dont give a damn. Stop making excuses for them.

It does not diminish their skills, but the CPU is fully documented thanks to the docs IBM and Sony were giving out since well before PS3 came out with the Linux kit (including a cycle accurate emulator for a CELL based processor).

ZywyPL

Banned
All we need left is high res texture mods to elevate all those emulated games to up-to-date standards.

PS. Next step - KZ2. PLEASE.

RedVIper

Banned
All we need left is high res texture mods to elevate all those emulated games to up-to-date standards.

PS. Next step - KZ2. PLEASE.

Modding an emulated game is pretty difficult.

A lot of these games look pretty good once you run them at 4k,i was super impressed by some of the texture work in demon souls.

pawel86ck

Banned
Great news, although I must say DSOG is the most negative place I have ever seen. People there are allowed to use extremely rude language and like attacking others just for fun. They will hate you just for posting something positive and love you for playing pirate copies or hating everything (and especially consoles) 😂. I have no idea why developers even bother sending review copies to place like DSOG. It's really dark place, exactly as name suggest.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
This is why Miyazakihates Kojima was. Self-banned. After DS coming to PC, now Mgs4 arrives there too unofficially and a PS5 release is unlikely too

Ryu Kaiba

Fool it's aKonami owned property. He's saying its a Konami Licensing issue, it's not up to Sony. Konami clearly dosen't want those games made available anymore. they've stopped reproducing them for anything but Pachinko machines.

Shifty

Wow, rad. It was clear that MGS4 had a performance ceiling back in the day, since the whole game jumped up to buttery smooth 60FPS when you turned on night vision goggles. Good on you, RPCS3 devs.

From the video description:
► My PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.2Ghz
16gb DDR4 3733Mhz RAM
GTX 1080ti 11gb
500gb NVME M.2 SSD

Emulation is super performance-intensive and there is no way in hell that a PS4 or even a PS5 is going to be able to handle that, given that it's taken 11 years of hardware and software advancement to get to this point on top-end PC hardware.

On the whole MGS4 was disappointing.

However it has some really fantastic sequences, which absolutly should be experienced.
Plus the stealth/item sandbox is one of the best in the series, if you can put up with the wacky pacing.

Teslerum

It wasn't dissapointing. It just had a little too much cutscenes for it's own good.

Coming from MGS3 it was (understandably) for many.

Off the top of my head some things that generated controversy: That badly designed stealth/follow mission, Merill and her love story with pants shitting johnny, the non characterisation of the bosses. I mean I appreaciate the booty, but for a series that is riddled with memorable bosses, MGS4’s mentally damaged tits got absolutly nothing on them.

I mean it has good things that make up for it, but it doesn’t touch Snake Eater.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Coming from MGS3 it was (understandably) for many.

Off the top of my head some things that generated controversy: That badly designed stealth/follow mission, Merill and her love story with pants shitting johnny, the non characterisation of the bosses. I mean I appreaciate the booty, but for a series that is riddled with memorable bosses, MGS4’s mentally damaged tits got absolutly nothing on them.

I mean it has good things that make up for it, but it doesn’t touch Snake Eater.
I thought MGS4 had the best bosses in the series gameplay wise (agreed on the "damaged" lore for all of them, that was lame). MGS4 is my personal favorite MGS game, so I'm pretty excited for this.

Wow, rad. It was clear that MGS4 had a performance ceiling back in the day, since the whole game jumped up to buttery smooth 60FPS when you turned on night vision goggles. Good on you, RPCS3 devs.

Emulation is super performance-intensive and there is no way in hell that a PS4 or even a PS5 is going to be able to handle that, given that it's taken 11 years of hardware and software advancement to get to this point on top-end PC hardware.
Those specs are meaningless though as the emu creators dont have the original documentation for ps3. You could say the same of ps2 emualtion. It requires crazy pc specs to run well also, considering what games it's running. Do you know why?

Because the emulator creators dont have the original documentation that explains the inner workings of said console. Do you know who has those documents? Sony. Somehow, their ps2 emulation solution on ps4 requires a LOT less computing strength than a pc to play ps2 games...hmmmm...why is that?
Like I said, sony has all the documentation for ps3 hardware and could release a paired down version of a ps3 emulator for ps4, just like the 360 did for og xbox. It would be the furthest thing from accurate but at least the games would (kind of) run.
Remember: if some jabronies on the internet can do it with zero documentation, then Sony has
NO.
EXCUSES.

They simply make more money reselling the biggest games and forgetting the rest. All it is is tried and true "business sense" and its fucking dumb if you're trying to create an online market people will continue to invest in for decades. I ain't investing in shit if i cant play a game i bought 4 years ago, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Those specs are meaningless though as the emu creators dont have the original documentation for ps3. You could say the same of ps2 emualtion. It requires crazy pc specs to run well also, considering what games it's running. Do you know why?

Because the emulator creators dont have the original documentation that explains the inner workings of said console. Do you know who has those documents? Sony. Somehow, their ps2 emulation solution on ps4 requires a LOT less computing strength than a pc to play ps2 games...hmmmm...why is that?
Like I said, sony has all the documentation for ps3 hardware and could release a paired down version of a ps3 emulator for ps4, just like the 360 did for og xbox. It would be the furthest thing from accurate but at least the games would (kind of) run.
Remember: if some jabronies on the internet can do it with zero documentation, then Sony has
NO.
EXCUSES.

They simply make more money reselling the biggest games and forgetting the rest. All it is is tried and true "business sense" and its fucking dumb if you're trying to create an online market people will continue to invest in for decades. I ain't investing in shit if i cant play a game i bought 4 years ago, plain and simple.

Thats... What? Sure proper documentation gets you better optimization, but the massive overhead you produce by translating calls to a different architecture stays. Regardless of how much *documentation* you have.

And where did you get that the PS4 needs *a lot less* computing strngth? What metric are you even using here?

The PS5 having a PS4 emulator is more realistic than the PS4 having a PS3 emulator.

GreatnessRD

Say it louder for those corporate whores in the back. Y'all ain't finessing shit!

Thats... What? Sure proper documentation gets you better optimization, but the massive overhead you produce by translating calls to a different architecture stays. Regardless of how much *documentation* you have.

And where did you get that the PS4 needs *a lot less* computing strngth? What metric are you even using here?
That's why I referenced the 360 emulating the og xbox. Completely different chipsets and architectures, but Microsoft still got a lot of xbox games to run on 360, though inaccurately. This overhead can be overcome.

And when I say the ps4 requires a lot less computing power, I meant in reference to ps2 emulation, as in, if you had a ps4 playing gta San Andrea's side by side with a computer with similar ps4 specs running San Andrea's through pcsx2, the ps4 will always produce the better results.
Why?
Because sony has the original ps2 hardware documents and the people coding for pcsx2 dont so the pcsx2 devs have to rely on other things, like brute force. With proper documentation, those needs go away. Not completely but, like the xbox on 360 situation shows, there are compromises that can be made. Sony just wont. I've had many an argument with Sony reps going back years on this topic.

Shifty

NO.
EXCUSES.

Just because you want it real bad does not mean there are no excuses.

Having the original documentation is not a magic passport to being able to emulate a system flawlessly on whatever hardware you like. Having that knowledge solves compatibility issues, not performance.

As for performance, console hardware does not have the grunt to emulate Gen 7. The amount of power needed for emulation increases exponentially with the complexity of the target system, and low-to-mid tier CPUs aren't going to cut it.

Just because you want it real bad does not mean there are no excuses.

Having the original documentation is not a magic passport to being able to emulate a system flawlessly on whatever hardware you like. Having that knowledge solves compatibility issues, not performance.

As for performance, console hardware does not have the grunt to emulate Gen 7. The amount of power needed for emulation increases exponentially with the complexity of the target system, and low-to-mid tier CPUs aren't going to cut it.
Having that knowledge obviously at least gives them the better conditions to solving both better performance and compatibility issues.

Zelent

Interesting... had no idea PS3 emulation has progressed this far.

MGS4 at 60fps is pretty cool. That was the last good Metal Gear game in my opinion.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
AVBINnz.png

Top Bottom