• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4's ISO size is... (rough estimate inside)

Update: 30GB. Original post below.

Taken from an NFO on a certain site that has scene dump info:

324 x 100MB

Some multiplication and division later shows that MGS4's size is roughly 32GB. And that's archive compressed, so it's most likely slightly larger than that. Some questions/comments:

- Given that there's a main 4.5GB install plus additional installs per Act, how probable is it that they duplicated data on the disc?

- Audio must be the main factor taking up so much space if the 18GB of free space (again, rough estimate) isn't enough for an extra language track (according to Ryan Payton, iirc).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
_leech_ said:
Taken from an NFO on a certain site that has scene dump info:

Some multiplication and division later shows that MGS4's size is roughly 32GB. And that's archive compressed, so it's most likely slightly larger than that. Some questions/comments:

- Given that there's a main 4.5GB install plus additional installs per Act, how probable is it that they duplicated data on the disc?

- Audio must be the main factor taking up so much space if the 18GB of free space (again, rough estimate) isn't enough for an extra language track (according to Ryan Payton, iirc).
Some dude in Best Buy reluctantly turned down the purchase of MGS4 when he pondered what the size of the Iso will do to his enjoyment of the game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
_leech_ said:

Figured it would have been cutscenes.

So this would fit on four 360 discs easy, right...?

McLovin

Andrex said:

The cut-scenes are done in real time.. they don't take up allot of space.
edit- two are cg?! I didn't know that.

Diablos

DenogginizerOS said:
Some dude in Best Buy reluctantly turned down the purchase of MGS4 when he pondered what the size of the Iso will do to his enjoyment of the game.
huh?

_leech_ said:
Only two cutscenes in the entire game are pre-recorded.
...and they are? (spoiler tag them plz)

Grayman

Andrex said:

I don't know if 360 discs could contain the amount of PS3 promotion in the game.

Diablos

_leech_ said:
The ones you can't zoom in on, specifically in Act 3.
How come? Limitation of hardware? I DID notice
a ton of soldiers being on the screen simultaneously

consoul

Well, apart from anything else, the idea that you could get any realistic idea of the actual size of the ISO from the fact that it could be archived and compressed into 324 100MB chunks fails to make sense.

Your 32GB figure is meaningless.

Doc Evils

consoul said:
Well, apart from anything else, the idea that you could get any realistic idea of the actual size of the ISO from the fact that it could be archived and compressed into 324 100MB chunks fails to make sense.

j0k9jd.jpg

/thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If they were to port it to the 360, which I doubt they will, they would probably just split it up into multiple discs (one for each chapter or two) and compress the audio a bit to get it to fit.

consoul said:

Well unless someone is going to spend the bandwidth to download it themselves, it's a 32GB rough estimate (most likely larger, mentioned that in the OP).

jet1911

Why is everyone responding like if the OP had an agenda or something... ?

jetjevons said:
Sadly still not big enough to be a detterent in terms of a pirate's bandwith. :-(

Is it even possible to play pirated games on a PS3?

Zefah said:
If they were to port it to the 360, which I doubt they will, they would probably just split it up into multiple discs (one for each chapter or two) and compress the audio a bit to get it to fit.
Why would this go multi-platform, though? I can see a small possibility for the "Substance" version of this. But I think, at this stage, Metal Gear Solid 4 coming to another console is as likely as Gears of War coming to the Playstation 3.

jetjevons said:
Sadly still not big enough to be a detterent in terms of a pirate's bandwith. :-(

It would be if you lived in Canada. This one game alone would eat up over half of my monthly bandwidth cap (one of the main reasons why I think digital distribution of major releases is DOA until ISPs get their act together).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
jet1911 said:
Is it even possible to play pirated games on a PS3?

Not so far, nearly uncrackable. To the OP... if the files were in RAR format, the compression must be a lot more than the estimate, maybe 30GBs, and if all the sound got compressed we might lose a lot more GBS. I think using a dual layered blu ray was not necessary after all

itxaka

Defeatist
consoul said:

Someone posted the REAL size taken from his BD-rom in the official MSG4 thread and it was above 32GB. So it is.

Also, my god if anyone would be willing to download that, 32 fucking gb.

sangreal

itxaka said:
Also, my god if anyone would be willing to download that, 32 fucking gb.

Sounds like you just have a slow connection; would only take me 4 hours and I certainly don't have the fastest connection available

FirewalkR

5 DVD's... change disc on Act endings instead of waiting 3 mins.. they could do it. I don't think they will, however. I doubt Sony would pay to stop them from doing so, but Kojima (*bows*) could try a little bit of extorsion :lol

I'm more interested in knowing why the 2 referenced cutscenes were pre-rendered. I'm guessing memory issues, given the size of the location and number of complex models on-screen in the first one
end of act 3, pre-rendered sequence begins when Liquid's boat leaves the shore I think
, and the various locations displayed in the second sequence
begins when Snake enters the room with the AI and goes through various locations in and outside of the ship

itxaka

Defeatist
sangreal said:
Sounds like you just have a slow connection; would only take me 4 hours and I certainly don't have the fastest connection available

Well I have download linux isos of 7+gb at 1.2Mb, but this is via torrent when they have a lots of seeders and it happened too few times. And as far as i know the torrent protocol is one of the best to maximize your speed.

Heck, even when I could download 30gb in almost no time, my laptod HD is just 40gb :lol

devilhawk

I love how the fanboys run in here and try to muck up the thread all the while acting like they are doing some type of service to the community. I find this information informative. Imagine that :lol This is one of the largest games and it is worth discussing, hypothetically, how it could be transferred to dual layer dvds; it doesn't mean it will.

itxaka

Defeatist
So if the maths are that 20gb are for audio (5.1 whatever format i got no idea of them) how much of it could be compressed to meet 360 standards (when they put it on 5.1 normal or whatever)

Anyone with good audio knowledge could estimate it? just out of curiosity.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Have you ever unpacked something with many pieces, assembled it, played with it, disassembled it, and then fail at putting it all back in the box only to be left with the mystery of how it all fit in there in the first place?

I didn't get that feeling when I played MGS4.

devilhawk

DenogginizerOS said:
Have you ever unpacked something with many pieces, assembled it, played with it, disassembled it, and then fail at putting it all back in the box only to be left with the mystery of how it all fit in there in the first place?

I didn't get that feeling when I played MGS4.
You're reaching now

Not many games ended up using multiple DVD's for PS2. I wonder if that continues in the 360 Wii, and PS3 generation.

Kagari said:
Good thing the PS3 is still locked up like fort knox then.

For now...

Every Sony system so far before the PS3 has been hacked and very easily I might add. To the people thinking that the size of the games will prevent piracy on the PS3, remember the PS2 HDLoader and how it worked. You won't HAVE to download it them. Talking about this is hlike hearing a Mac user tell everyone that the Mac will never have a virus.

I'm not advocating piracy at all but to say that the PS3 will never suffer from it is naive at best especially considering Sony's past history of how open and easy all their systems have been going back to even just holding down a button in the back of the unit in the original 1001 PSX.

On topic, this stuff interests me too. I like seeing where developers are using their space on the disc and for what.

Top Bottom