• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid cast has reunited for an unknown project

Arachnid

Name the list of great non-Hideo Kojima Metal Gear games. Also, name the list of great Bluepoint original games.
Metal Gear Revengence was fucking fantastic.

And to be fair, the absence of either doesn't mean it's impossible. There hasn't really been a real Metal Gear since since Kojima left (other than a cash grab spin off made with the same MGSV assets and gameplay, though I wouldn't classify that as a "real Metal Gear"). What we do know is that Bluepoint has put out nothing but quality content with no glitches, fantastic presentation, and top tier gameplay. If they did make a more original game, I think it's a solid bet that it would come out pretty good. They'd also likely look to the other games a ton for inspiration and direction. IMO they'd be one of the best choices around for continuing if that was an option.

Last edited:
GIF by Giphy QA

ButchCat

The one thing I'm concerned about are the camera angles. Are they gonna keep the experience pure to appeal to the fans or are they gonna do a modern take. Gameplay will be affected accordingly.

Ozrimandias

But no Quinton Flynn, so this problably is a Metal Gear Solid Remake?!
But, why is Lori Alan (The Boss) and why Robin Atkin Dowes (Kaz) involved.... la li lu le lo god dammit

MiguelItUp

The one thing I'm concerned about are the camera angles. Are they gonna keep the experience pure to appeal to the fans or are they gonna do a modern take. Gameplay will be affected accordingly.
Considering Bluepoint's approach to remakes, I feel like if anything there could be a new angle and classic angle. They do a good job of respecting the classic title IMO.

BuffNTuff

Banned
Not sure why people are so excited about an MGS remake... of course it was huge at the time like 20+ years ago... but Kojima’s wackiness hasn’t aged well at all. I’d argue the only reason it was as popular as it was in the first place was because there wasn’t much competition out there at the time, the infancy of 3D and cinematic narrative driven gaming.

I don’t think MGS fits in a modern AAA world. Not unless they totally gut much of the nonsense wacky Kojima stuff. I remember playing Ground Zeroes and it seemed like Kojima finally went all in on the gritty realism stuff... ground zeroes was perfect. Just pure stealth gameplay with gritty raw realism. Then V came out and it was quite the opposite and was more ridiculous than ever. It really killed the franchise for me.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Not sure why people are so excited about an MGS remake... of course it was huge at the time like 20+ years ago... but Kojima’s wackiness hasn’t aged well at all. I’d argue the only reason it was as popular as it was in the first place was because there wasn’t much competition out there at the time, the infancy of 3D and cinematic narrative driven gaming.

I don’t think MGS fits in a modern AAA world. Not unless they totally gut much of the nonsense wacky Kojima stuff. I remember playing Ground Zeroes and it seemed like Kojima finally went all in on the gritty realism stuff... ground zeroes was perfect. Just pure stealth gameplay with gritty raw realism. Then V came out and it was quite the opposite and was more ridiculous than ever. It really killed the franchise for me.

I kind of agree with you regarding the wackiness of V, however i think MGS1 still holds up and could be timeless tbh

MGS2 with rollerskate bomberman however is a bit much

Am I right in thinking a multi platform franchise will only be released on PlayStation now? Is Sony funding the project entirely? Otherwise Konami would be losing out on overall sales.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Prepare for me to go into fanboy mode if anything comes from this, Metal Gear Solid is probably my favourite series.
I'm just trying to imagine what it would look like, and if the rumours of the whole series getting the treatment are true.
Damn, dat tanker level with Raytracing 😳

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Ghost Babel, Acid 2, Revengeance
A GBA game, a deckbuilder, and an action game from Platinum, all side stories with two not even being canonical. Not exactly what I was talking about. That's on me for not putting "Solid" and "mainline entry" in the original message, I guess.

And you side-stepped the second part of the question. Since Bluepoint would be developing it: what great non-remake/remaster games have they made? Metal Gear is an incredibly unique series with its own distinct brand of storytelling, due in large part to Kojima's influence on it. I wouldn't want a studio that pretty much exclusively makes remakes taking their first stab at an original game with a franchise like Metal Gear Solid.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
What we do know is that Bluepoint has put out nothing but quality content with no glitches, fantastic presentation, and top tier gameplay. If they did make a more original game, I think it's a solid bet that it would come out pretty good. They'd also likely look to the other games a ton for inspiration and direction. IMO they'd be one of the best choices around for continuing if that was an option.
Quality content, but not original content. There's a pretty big difference there. It wouldn't be impossible for Bluepoint to put out a good original Metal Gear game, but given their lack of experience making original games and the unique and downright fucking weird universe of Metal Gear Solid, it would be a pretty big gamble.

As excited as I am, I was really looking forward to a brand new IP from Bluepoint (if the rumours are to be true).

Welp, I ain't going to complain 🤷🏽‍♂️

KOMANI

KOMANI
A GBA game, a deckbuilder, and an action game from Platinum, all side stories with two not even being canonical. Not exactly what I was talking about. That's on me for not putting "Solid" and "mainline entry" in the original message, I guess.

And you side-stepped the second part of the question. Since Bluepoint would be developing it: what great non-remake/remaster games have they made? Metal Gear is an incredibly unique series with its own distinct brand of storytelling, due in large part to Kojima's influence on it. I wouldn't want a studio that pretty much exclusively makes remakes taking their first stab at an original game with a franchise like Metal Gear Solid.
i didn't side step the second part because i dont care if bluepoint makes a metal gear game or not. this was you:
Name the list of great non-Hideo Kojima Metal Gear games. Also, name the list of great Bluepoint original games.
dont be a dick because i answered your challenge. A challenge you now say wasn't worded correctly. Also... shitting on video games because of their platform and genre, nice. Which one is the "canonical" game that (now) doesn't meet your requirements?

John2290

As much as Hayter is iconic, man, going back to the games before TPP is excruciating. I can hear him put on the grunt voice now and I can hear him falter, funny how TPP changed the image of Snake and BB in my mind along with the voice. Kojima really did make the right choice on that one.
I don't expect them to cast Suderland for the remakes but I hope, if they are redoing the VA, that they give Hayter enough time and patience. Put him in a a mo cap suit and get the director along the way for every line so he doesn't go limp and waver his acting ability in a sound booth. If not, give a japanese audio track on the English versions.

All things considered I'm just so happy for David Hayter (and the rest also) that he will get to reprise his role.
Being Snake is really important for him and what Kojima and co. did to him was pretty unprofessional.

David Hayter as Solid Snake/BB is for me one of those things that are really important part of my life growing up and I will cherise the memories that came with MGS 1-3 for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MGS Radio Play obvs.

Why would they need to all get in a call if they just got recast for some new game or remake, they'd just have their appointments and everything with the directors, possibly not even meet each other as far as the job goes depending on how that's handled, they have no reason to coordinate everyone together for it in this way.

Unless they're doing marketing/dev docu material I guess and the devs wanna stress/showcase they're bringing everyone they can back etc.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
i didn't side step the second part because i dont care if bluepoint makes a metal gear game or not. this was you:

dont be a dick because i answered your challenge. A challenge you now say wasn't worded correctly. Also... shitting on video games because of their platform and genre, nice. Which one is the "canonical" game that (now) doesn't meet your requirements?
You didn't side-step the second part of a two-part question, even though that's what you did. Sure thing. A "challenge?" lol, okay.

Don't be a dick? Physician, heal thyself.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't even need this to resemble the original MGS1's gameplay. That game does hold up fine, especially with radar. Just needs a new coat of graphical paint, Twin Snakes-style.
I'd really just like this to be Ground Zeroes but set on Shadow Moses...with the Metal Gear Solid 1 story and characters. Ground Zeroes 2 in disguise. Madness, surely. But what else can we expect? If you stay 100% faithful to the gameplay, I think people will be underwhelmed by the game, classic or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom