• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

jackdoe

Bear said:
Maybe through rose coloured glasses. For a new player with no nostalgia towards the original, I think that would be a very difficult argument to make. The difference in art style isn't nearly as vast as the difference in detail.
Maybe it is nostalgia. But damn if TTS character models don't suck a whole lot of balls.

SamuraiX-

StalkerUKCG said:
What exactly are peoples problems with twin snakes. Lists please

Id personally say its just MGS1 done right.

Please, let's not turn this glorious domain into one of those topics.

StalkerUKCG said:
So if i understand right.

Replace voice acting with original recordings and technically the problem is solved.
Cutscenes are fine, the only real big difference is snake and fox in the room with ken baker and the c4, but after other cutscenes later in the series its not too crazy.

Levels play fine with the "roll" from mgs2 infact id go as far as saying MGS2 controls improve the game.
Vopmh.gif

legacyzero said:
Seriously. They're forgetting like....EVERYTHING else in the game that is over the top.

MGS1 isn't that over the top. Everything is sort of teetering on the edge between realism and craziness, so stuff like Psycho Mantis and the Ninja has more of an impact in an otherwise believable world.

It wasn't until MGS2 that things hit the Twin Snakes level of crazy.

Still need to see how the pressure sensitive buttons are worked into MGS2/3 on 360. Also wouldn't be surprised to see the bumpers used to shoot lulz.

jackdoe

Red Blaster said:
Still need to see how the pressure sensitive buttons are worked into MGS2/3 on 360. Also wouldn't be surprised to see the bumpers used to shoot lulz.
Someone should be able to answer this question. Wasn't it a demo at TGS? Didn't someone take a snap shot of the control scheme?

SamuraiX-

Red Blaster said:

Wasn't there some bit of info recently about how MGS4's controls were somehow worked into the HD collection?

Ridley327

SamuraiX- said:
Wasn't there some bit of info recently about how MGS4's controls were somehow worked into the HD collection?
Well, they're guaranteed for Peace Walker, since it controls the same. Outside of the yet-to-be-explained accounting for the pressure sensitive buttons, MGS2/3 control like they did all those years ago.

Personally, I've always hated the pressure sensitive actions (especially in MGS3), so I'd be too glad to have them gone for good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ridley327 said:
Yes, all of the original music is intact. No swapping out for the theme they've been using since MGS4.

Excellent! I used to love popping MGS2 in my PS2 just to watch the opening.

Chuck

Still without luck
And the voice acting changes in Twin Snakes were totally better than MGS1 and done by the people who they kept for the sequels. Not the British accent Naomi and Chinese accent Mei-Ling.

Uhh.. is it true that the HD collection includes the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? If so, I completely missed that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-26-metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-release-date-announced

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection launches on 3rd February 2012, Konami has announced.

The five-game high definition compilation releases on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

HD Collection includes Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, all in full HD.

It also contains Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, first released for MSX over 20 years ago.

Ridley327

ChuckNoLuck said:
And the voice acting changes in Twin Snakes were totally better than MGS1 and done by the people who they kept for the sequels. Not the British accent Naomi and Chinese accent Mei-Ling.
They've always been the same VAs, though. Naomi has always been played by Jennifer Hale and Mei Ling has always been Kim Mai Guest.

Chuck

Still without luck
Big Papa Husker said:
Uhh.. is it true that the HD collection includes the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? If so, I completely missed that.
Yeah, the MGS3 in it is the Subsistence version, which included both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Although, I'm not sure if they have been HD-ified.

Ridley327 said:
They've always been the same VAs, though. Naomi has always been played by Jennifer Hale and Mei Ling has always been Kim Mai Guest.
What, really? Then why did they put on bad, fake accents?

SamuraiX-

Ridley327 said:
Well, they're guaranteed for Peace Walker, since it controls the same. Outside of the yet-to-be-explained accounting for the pressure sensitive buttons, MGS2/3 control like they did all those years ago.

Personally, I've always hated the pressure sensitive actions (especially in MGS3), so I'd be too glad to have them gone for good.

How do you know this? (referring to the bold)

And strongly agree on the pressure sensitivity. It was tolerable in MGS2, but MGS3's ridiculous mini-games of finger twister in order to do anything with CQC outside of grab & throw were teeth-grinding types of fun.

ChuckNoLuck said:

Stereotype Mei Ling is Best Mei Ling.

Bear

ChuckNoLuck said:
Yeah, the MGS3 in it is the Subsistence version, which included both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Just to clarify this, Subsistence on PS2 had a second disk that contained all the extras, including MG1/2. That disk is not included in the collection, and none of the extras are included except for the MSX games.

Salaadin

Big Papa Husker said:
I was just about to preorder the LE on Amazon and it says that the delivery estimate is Nov 14. Really? A whole week after release? WTF?

Yup. It makes no sense. Its either a typo on Amazons part or they have a weird definition for 2 day delivery.

Chuck

Still without luck
Bear said:
Just to clarify this, Subsistence on PS2 had a second disk that contained all the extras, including MG1/2. That disk is not included in the collection, and none of the extras are included except for the MSX games.
oh really...what else was on there then? I don't remember.

Ridley327

ChuckNoLuck said:
What, really? Then why did they put on bad, fake accents?
IIRC, Kojima has never been a big fan of either accent, so they got redid when it became necessary to re-voice MGS for TTS.

jackdoe

Ridley327 said:
IIRC, Kojima has never been a big fan of either accent, so they got redid when it became necessary to re-voice MGS for TTS.
That was fine and it definitely improved Mei Ling. The real shame with the new VA was that David Hayter and Paul Eiding carried over what they did in MGS2; over the top gruffy Snake, and not gruffy enough, Aldaris sounding Campbell.

Ridley327 said:
MGO, the Secret Theater (the greatest loss of all :( ), boss rush and Snake vs. Monkey.
I thought Secret Theater was on Disc 1 though? Unless my memory's mistaken.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Edgeward said:
Fuck, I had no idea this was coming out so soon. And some of the achievements look to test my sanity, catching a Tsuchinoko, all frogs, all dog tags?!

Gonna need this just for Peace Walker and proper online sometime down the road.

Yeah the MGS3 achieves sound awful.

Getting this mostly as an excuse to play 2 again anyways

and maybe mess around with PW online and try save transfer with my PSP version

Man why isn't Amazon offering release date shipping for this one? UMVC3 is getting it

Ridley327

jackdoe said:
That was fine and it definitely improved Mei Ling. The real shame with the new VA was that David Hayter and Paul Eiding carried over what they did in MGS2; over the top gruffy Snake, and not gruffy enough, Aldaris sounding Campbell.

I thought Secret Theater was on Disc 1 though? Unless my memory's mistaken.

1. Yeah, Hayter has gotten steadily worse over the years; he's never been able to match his performance in MGS1 and I suspect he never will.

2. Disc 1 had the normal cutscenes for viewing, along with one hilarious surprise.

jackdoe

Ridley327 said:
1. Yeah, Hayter has gotten steadily worse over the years; he's never been able to match his performance in MGS1 and I suspect he never will.

2. Disc 1 had the normal cutscenes for viewing, along with one hilarious surprise.
Oh right. Now I remember. See, the problem with the secret theater was that they were FMV right? They couldn't be bothered to redo the FMV for Peace Walker, so they definitely couldn't be bothered to do secret theater.

Ridley327

legacyzero said:
MGO not being included is sadly the biggest missing feature of this masterpiece.
They have VERSUS OPS online-enabled, unless you're really hankering for Rumble Roses characters.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know where I could import this to Australia? VideoGamesPlus are not stocking the Limited Edition and usually they're my GoTo Guys :(

legacyzero

Banned
Ridley327 said:
They have VERSUS OPS online-enabled, unless you're really hankering for Rumble Roses characters.
Theres no way Versus Ops could be as good as OG Metal Gear Online. Just cant be. (although I havn't played Versus Ops.)

jett

D-Member
Ridley327 said:

He sounds human in the first game, he sounds like a caricature of that performance in every single game after that. I don't know what's up with that.

The_Monk

This thread is beautiful. That is all.

Oh, and I forgive them by the late release date to Europe. But only cause I'll be busy...

Ridley327

legacyzero said:
Theres no way Versus Ops could be as good as OG Metal Gear Online. Just cant be. (although I havn't played Versus Ops.)
There's really not much of a difference between the two, outside of the player count and Peace Walker having better controls for shooting.

Ridley327

jett said:
He sounds human in the first game, he sounds like a caricature of that performance in every single game after that. I don't know what's up with that.
I'd wager that Jerry Blaustein had a lot to do with how well Hayter did in the first game. Look what happened when Konami kicked him to the curb.

Edgeward

Oh god, I've fallen down the youtube hole of cutscenes. Can't stop watching my favorite cutscenes. Really weird how
Liquid
only appears in 1 game as himself proper yet he's by far one of my favorite characters besides Snake.

And Cam Clarke not being in 4 outside of one easter egg still hurts. ;_;

Huge Spoilers for MGS 1 but the best reveal ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPqTd410OOw&feature=related

jett

D-Member
Ridley327 said:
I'd wager that Jerry Blaustein had a lot to do with how well Hayter did in the first game. Look what happened when Konami kicked him to the curb.

Yeah, it's obviously no coincidence MGS1 has the best script in the entire franchise. Kojima got pissed at him because he changed some of the no doubt horribly contrived dialogue he had written.

This is an interesting article on Jeremy Blaustein.

"When translating the script I had to balance things so it sounded as natural in English as the original, while still staying as close to the original as possible to satisfy the purists."

Metal Gear Solid, of all the games he worked on, brought Blaustein the most recognition. Rather unfortunately, it also proved to be one of the most stressful of his projects and landed him in trouble with Kojima, who didn't appreciate the changes he'd made. Blaustein did a podcast interview with PushToTalk, where he highlighted some of the heavy goings on regarding the project.

"When you create an environment where people aren't allowed to question you, you get a translation by committee where the uniqueness of any person's speaking style is wiped away in favour of a bland approach which doesn't take any risks. You get something less direct, less stylised, less intentionally suited to that market."

Top Bottom