• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection new Japanese trailer

Japanese version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qTEiSP-gb_Y

English version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5RZq7rD-gk

iZ1NjOtDIgfJ8.png

...tranquilize if old.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well since I'm going to be super lttp for the PS3 this looks to be a nice potential pickup (if it comes out in Europe).

raven777

is there a reason for having a separate logo for MGS1 and MGS1 integral, but not having for substance and subsistance for MGS2 and 3?

Salaadin

Whoa, hold the phone. The Metal Gear theme is back?!?!

Thats the slightly remade one from MGS4, I believe. Its similar but exactly like the original. I guess they feel like its different enough.

The original theme is still present in MGS1/2/3 though.

Tsunamo

Metal Gear trailers have this amazing way of always getting me hyped. Can't wait to grab this and play through the series again.
is there a reason for having a separate logo for MGS1 and MGS1 integral, but not having for substance and subsistance for MGS2 and 3?
I'd assume because they were already known to be those versions in the HD Collection so they didn't specify it, that or it was just a oversight.

Bit-Bit

Thats the slightly remade one from MGS4, I believe. Its similar but exactly like the original. I guess they feel like its different enough.

The original theme is still present in MGS1/2/3 though.

It's not the slightly rearrange theme from MGS4.

Edit: I went back and check. You're right.

"This year, get ready to buy the same games for the fourth time "

My MGS's "Let's milk our fanbase" purchase guide over the years. :

Buying MGS
Buying MGS : Vr Mission
Buying Twin Snakes (Don't have a gamecube, deal with it)

Buying MGS 2
Buying MGS 2 Substance to get the full package
Buying MGS 2 again in the HD collection.

Buying MGS 3
Buying MGS 3 Subsistence for a camera that should have been included in the first place and an online mode that gets killed.
Buying MGS 3 again in the HD collection.

Buy A PSP you MGS Fan !!!

Buying ACID, ACID 2, Digital Novels you don't care about because apparently 3D console quality MGS games could not work on PSP... Oh wait, here they come.

Buying Portable Ops, cause it's canon.
Buying Portables Ops Plus

Buying Peace Walker .. Oh and Portable Ops is no longer really canon... Well it is , but it also isn't so we won't talk about this game anymore.
Buying Peace Walker HD Version in HD collection.

Buying MGS4
Buying Three DLC packs for an online mode that gets killed.
MGS4 gets an advanced version with... No Online ? Color Me Impressed.

And now... BUY THE LEGACY Collection. Finally, you can re-buy all these games again only a couple months after buying them all already !!! Finally !

Buying MGS

Buying MGS 2

Buying MGS 3
Buying MGS 3 Subsistence for a camera that should have been included in the first place and an online mode that gets killed.

Buying ACID, ACID 2, Digital Novels you don't care about because apparently 3D console quality MGS games could now work on PSP... Oh wait, here they come.

Buying Peace Walker .. Oh and Portable Ops is no longer really canon... Well it is , but it also isn't so we won't talk about this game anymore.

Buying MGS4

And now... BUY THE LEGACY Collection. Finally, you can re-buy all these games again only a couple months after buying them all already !!! Finally !

Pretty much sums up how I feel about this collection :(

No real interest in actually buying this, but that was a pretty nice trailer.

Also, #teamportableops simply because of playable Para Medic (and conversely #teamfuckMGS4 for what it ultimately does to her).

injurai

Banned

Buying MGS

Buying MGS 2

Buying MGS 3

Buying ACID, ACID 2, Digital Novels you don't care about because apparently 3D console quality MGS games could not work on PSP... Oh wait, here they come.

Buying MGS4

it's obvious that this collection isn't for you. but a better collection for people joining in the series, or who haven't already purchased the HD pack.

I've only played MGS. This is perfect for me. So yeah, there are gamers out there who don't have all of these games in some form.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I went and sold off my individual release copies of the HD collection and mgs4 to buy this. It's nice to consolidate everything in a sleek package and the bonuses are good too.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is Peace Walker available for PS3?
Is the only one i havent played yet and ive heard its quite good.

You can get it from either the existing HD collection disk or from PSN as a standalone title. The HD collection is probably a better bet due to having MGS3 and MGS2 HD... Honestly MGS2 doesn't look much different in HD , but MGS3 does look much better indeed.

Yes it's available in this collection as well as the HD Collection and yes it's very good indeed!

I'm only buying this for the graphic novels and the art book, but the trailer is making me want to play the whole series all over again.

Edit: Seems Metal GAF is a little too helpful :p

onken

So you still have to load MGS3 to play the original 2 games and MGS1 is just a download code which means they did absolutely no work for this whatsoever.

No buy, Konami.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thank you bros! Will get it then.

So you still have to load MGS3 to play the original 2 games and MGS1 is just a download code which means they did absolutely no work for this whatsoever.

No buy, Konami.

I do wish they would bring MG1 and 2 out to the game select menu. I don't know why little stuff bugs me like that, but it does.

rvy

Banned
I do wish they would bring MG1 and 2 out to the game select menu. I don't know why little stuff bugs me like that, but it does.

It does because they're devaluing the games by putting them as extras in the MGS 3 menu, it's like they're not worthy of being stand-alone experiences that can be selected via the XMB.

Still kind of sad that Portable Ops is further treated as the red-headed stepchild of the series, but this is still the best collection of the franchise to date.

onken

Same. Just really hammers it home how fucking cheap they are being and how much they are trying to milk fans/collectors.

Still kind of sad that Portable Ops is further treated as the red-headed stepchild of the series, but this is still the best collection of the franchise to date.

Again, because there isn't a pre-made HD port they can just throw in for nothing. Twin Snakes should also be here but that would require effort of course.

KmA

I'm always confused by people that say they are milking a franchise with re-releases. This clearly is not meant for you then, it's meant for people who don't own these games like me.

Salaadin

I'm always confused by people that say they are milking a franchise with re-releases. This clearly is not meant for you then, it's meant for people who don't own these games like me.

Its just that they do it so often for MGS.

Not like it matters. I buy all of them anyways.

rvy

Banned

Re-relases are fine, as long as you don't go overboard with it. MGS 2 and 3 have been re-released 5 times, 2 this generation. It's getting to a point where it's silly.

Its just that they do it so often for MGS.

Not like it matters. I buy all of them anyways.

They did the trilogy set right before MGS4, an HD collection, and now this. Wouldn't say it's a ton per se, it's just this one is coming close to the HD collection. Sort of how movies do it.

Portable Ops isn't canon anymore?

Yeah, it still is.

Metal Gear Wiki said:
While officially confirmed as a canonical installment in the series, Portable Ops is considered a spin-off game, despite the relative importance of events that occur in its storyline. As such, the events of Portable Ops receive notably little mention in official Konami press, compared with other installments in the series, which has caused some amount of confusion among the fanbase.

Portable Ops is not mentioned in the documentary Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2, though it is included in the timeline at the end, and footage is seen during the credits. The timeline on the Metal Gear Solid 4 website also mentions Portable Ops. Likewise, Metal Gear Solid 4 itself frequently used stills from Portable Ops in its cutscenes (made especially apparent with the EVA and Liquid Ocelot montage cutscenes in Acts 3 and 5, respectively) alongside the rest of the games, and artwork for Portable Ops by Noriyoshi Ohrai likewise briefly appeared in the church in Act 3 alongside other artwork by Ohrai, and some plot elements from Portable Ops were also referred to subtly (a notable example being the revelation that Zero founded the Patriots).

Despite being its chronological predecessor, the events of Portable Ops are barely acknowledged in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, though it was included in the Metal Gear website's timeline during Peace Walker's development. In addition, Kazuhira Miller says the line, "Now we can leave that crap at San Hieronymo behind," early in the Prologue mission of Peace Walker. This caused debate among fans, as to whether Miller was referring to the events of Portable Ops, in which he was not involved, or whether this statement debunked the events of that game altogether.

Unlike Peace Walker, Portable Ops did not receive an HD update, and thus was not included in any version of the Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection or the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection. Kojima later revealed on Twitter that the reason why Portable Ops will not be included in The Legacy Collection is due to the fact that he was not directly involved in the game's development. As such, it remains confined to the PSP platform, while all other canonical games are playable on the PlayStation 3 console (the MSX2 games are included in Metal Gear Solid 3). It is also the only canonical Metal Gear Solid title to not be asked as a favorite of the player, in the upload screen of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D. The MSX2 games are similarly not asked as a favorite of the player in the same game.

In a podcast for Kojima Productions, Kojima stated via his translator that Portable Ops is canon. The official website, likewise, kept Portable Ops on the Saga timeline, although only as a brief footnote. The MSX2 games were given similar treatment on the same website. In addition, the Japanese Konami site had a 25th Anniversary timeline that omitted Portable Ops, although it should be noted that in a previous timeline hosted by the Konami site, occurring around the time Peace Walker was in development, had erroneously omitted the MSX2 games from the timeline, leading to the possibility of it being an error on part of the Konami staff, and in either case, Portable Ops was still included in the chronology section of the site. In addition, two levels from Portable Ops were also included in Peace Walker's online mode, specifically the Silo Entrance and the Soviet Patrol Base.

Basically, Kojima's ego got in the way.

Top Bottom