• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes = $29.99 @ gamestop.com

Chrono

Banned
NO!! I ordered it from gamestop on 9-5 and just got the package exactly an hour ago!

If only I waited…

WordofGod

Banned
Tower Records (Sherman Oaks, California) had Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for $20 today (1 copy left). All Tower Records are having a clearance sale on all their existing games.

I'm not a big fan of the stealth games anymore (played out), but you can't deny the classic storyline and characters in this one. Definitely a good deal, even at full price. :D

Miburou

I found the game enjoyable, but it's no substitute for MGS. The music, the cut-scenes, and the gameplay, especially the gameplay, aren't faithful to the PS1 classic. Introducing gameplay elements from MGS2 seems like a good idea at first, until you realize that there's no change in the room layouts or number of guards.

Like I said, an enjoyable game, but not a replacement for MGS1.

Miburou said:
I found the game enjoyable, but it's no substitute for MGS. The music, the cut-scenes, and the gameplay, especially the gameplay, aren't faithful to the PS1 classic. Introducing gameplay elements from MGS2 seems like a good idea at first, until you realize that there's no change in the room layouts or number of guards.

Like I said, an enjoyable game, but not a replacement for MGS1.
You aren't forced to use first-person aim. I'm pretty sure you can play through the game as though you were playing the original.

Miburou

It isn't just the first person perspective thing. The tranqualizer gun, the lockers, the rails, and the first-person aiming are now all part of the gameplay. They work better in MGS2 because the rest of the game was designed around them, but in MGS1 they reduce the stealth aspect of the game, not to mention the challenge, greatly. Because the AI of the guards was upped, while keeping the areas the same size, it's easier to dispose of guards than to sneak by them.

That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, just a different experience from MGS1 on PS1 (and a slightly inferior one, IMO).

Top Bottom