• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V final box art (A Hideo Kojima Game/Kojima Productions removed)

Isn't this old news? Still lame though

His name had only been officially removed from site-related content, so the MGSV website, Konami site, etc., not the box art -- which the placeholder was still present!

19487626499_9f2e33fd01_o.png

19486233478_f5d15b1c24_o.png

morikaze

Banned
So bizarre, the group will be liquidated anyway, why go the seemingly vindictive group of erasing their logo and name from the last game they'll ever make, a game they spent so many years making?

So when the inevitable MGS6 (or next Metal Gear game) releases certain people will not realize the absence of Hideo Kojima's involvement.

That would be awesome if everyone who bought this game changed the cover to a fan made version where it still says a Hideo Kojima game. Konami would get so salty.

FLD

Would be funny if they remove his name from the credits.

The funny thing about that is that, from what I heard, Kojima's name is pretty much all over the place in-game. Every single episode starts and ends with credits as if it was an actual TV show or whatever. So you'll probably end up seeing the words "Directed by Hideo Kojima" multiple times over the course of the game, anyway.

Betty

Banned
So when the inevitable MGS6 (or next Metal Gear game) releases certain people will not realize the absence of Hideo Kojima's involvement.

If they think the fans are that stupid they're in for a shock when the next MGS after V drops.

Fisty

Remember folks, Kojima may have asked to have his name removed because Konami tried to censor the game. It may have been his choice.

At least that gaffer who hated that Sony put their publisher logo on the back rather than the front of the box will be pleased to see the publisher putting themselves first on the cover.

soultron

Banned
I really don't give a shit, just let me play the game. Just because his name isn't the sole credit on the box doesn't mean fanboys won't be able to revel in auteurism for their own sake.

soultron

Banned
So fucking terrible. I wish I could buy this game without supporting Konami at this point. But I must.
Buy it used if it pisses you off that much. Konami won't see a cent of that unless you purchase additional DLC.

What's with the day one edition thing
Incentive to buy ASAP; probably has MGO stuff or codes for free Day One DLC unlocks in it. With stuff like consumables, soldiers at the HQ, camo patterns, and MGO, it'd be easy to dream up DLC unlocks to incentivise Day One bullshit.

Brakke

Banned
why does it even matter. it's not like KojiPro benefits from building brand-recognition at this point, they're never going to make another game...

The messed up thing is that Ground Zeroes still has the "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME" tag on it, even on digital storefronts like PlayStation Store:

Not saying he shouldn't be proud of the game (my favorite PS4 game out, for what it's worth), but he has stated several times how he would have preferred to include it with The Phantom Pain, and given Konami's recent actions, it is pretty obvious that they called for the segmented release of MGSV. Just a shame that the last game his name will be on the cover of (in the Metal Gear series, at least) was shrouded in backlash and questioned as a quality product -- something that has NEVER been questioned in a Hideo Kojima game. (People like or don't like MGS, sure, but I don't think anyone is gonna sit there and tell me he's released a game with his name on the cover in which his blood, sweat and tears didn't go into it.)

HeelPower

So bizarre, the group will be liquidated anyway, why go the seemingly vindictive group of erasing their logo and name from the last game they'll ever make, a game they spent so many years making?

It really comes off as petty,vindictive and bitchy.

I can't interpret this any other way.

Kojima and his team worked so hard on this for years.Kojima made gazillions of presentations, interviews and tweets on this game alone.No one has a right to scratch off Kojipro logo.

It really comes off as petty,vindictive and bitchy.

I can't interpret this any other way.

Kojima and his team worked so hard on this for years.Kojima made gazillions of presentations, interviews and tweets on this game a lone.No one has a right to scratch off Kojipro logo.

Not only the bolded, but he has been working on the game engine for roughly seven years (began working on it after MGS4, alongside Peace Walker and throughout the production of MGSV), and it will have been used for this, a couple of soccer games and a demo of what could have been a truly special horror game.

Falcs

Banned
So will Kojima still be in the game's credits?
I haven't really been following the development of this game. I assume he was obviously involved.

Hoje0308

Banned
The funny thing about that is that, from what I heard, Kojima's name is pretty much all over the place in-game. Every single episode starts and ends with credits as if it was an actual TV show or whatever. So you'll probably end up seeing the words "Directed by Hideo Kojima" multiple times over the course of the game, anyway.

I hope it's being done as a form of protest and that he's not actually that much of an egomaniac.

soultron

Banned
The messed up thing is that Ground Zeroes still has the "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME" tag on it, even on digital storefronts like PlayStation Store:

Changing this would probably involve resubmitting GZ in all territories just to change that icon and pushing an update to people who already own it. Not worth the time and money in Konami's books, I bet. MGS5 isn't out yet, so I'm sure they will change it there in time for release.

Not only the bolded, but he has been working on the game engine for roughly seven years (began working on it after MGS4, alongside Peace Walker and throughout the production of MGSV), and it will have been used for this, a couple of soccer games and a demo of what could have been a truly special horror game.

This feels a touch presumptuous; Kojima probably has done little work outside of high level feature requests for the Fox engine. It's not like he's coding the thing by himself or at all. This is why, IMO, the removal of the KojiPro logo from the box is more of a slap in the face - to the members of KojiPro that nobody really knows but spent years making the Fox engine and this game.

So will Kojima still be in the game's credits?
I haven't really been following the development of this game. I assume he was obviously involved.

Yes!

The game actually features credits that appear on-screen during the start of a mission and gives a list of characters, locations, programmers, and writers-- the assumption is that most of the story missions will be written and directed by Kojima himself, so we will see his name in the game plenty - don't worry!

Fuck you Konami, you fucking garba--- I mean uh, oh no, that's really disappointing but we should all keep a mature, level head about it!

Fucking garbage Konami, garbage.

I don't even understand why they would do that. What do they expect to accomplish other than alienating fans? Are they really that out of touch?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never buy used games. Always buy brand new must haves on day one or around that timeframe, and games that I feel should be lower (i.e. GoW3 Re) I will wait until a little lower, but still buy brand new to support the developers.

But this game, as sad as it may be, might have to buy used, breaking my rule due to Konami.

Houndi101

Ah the digital only Steam version is starting to sound pretty good two weeks down the road when whe actually know if the game is good... or maybe 3 weeks to see that the port is up to snuff.

Ain't no one man above the crew.
-Dude from Juice and 2Pac.

I personally would have went out on my own before naming a company that I don't own, after my name. His name will be in the credits, I'm sure.

KodaRuss

Does no one at Konami have any sense how does this do them any good? What a shame this is the way this franchise/studio is ending.

Top Bottom