• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

yea no platinum as far as I know...

This console generation has just been one massive shitball of disappointment so far! Fuck!
They could have just given us a fucking platinum since the game is so short. I mean, seriously, what the fuck? And no reverse cover for EU? I'm not in that region, but that really sucks.

I am so angry that I love Metal Gear Solid so much right now.

Okay, I'm now considering to cancel my pre-order and go digital, so I can share it with my brother, which will make it cheaper by a lot.

I want to have it in my physical collection, but what Konami is doing with this is a fucking disgrace and I will not pay for this more than I have to.

Oh man, without the reversible cover I will only have the cover with the big FSK logo. Still cannot believe this. What has happened to Konami in the last years? A joke nowadays.

Betty

Banned
I won't believe the non reversible cover for PAL regions until I open the case myself and face the bitter disappointment head on.

Wow, this is hilarious. People are getting so upset at trivial things.

Wouldn't say that the reversible cover is trivial when you have to live with the ugly standard cover with a big ugly german FSK logo and with the knowlegde that other ones have a superior cover inside.

levitan

Played it today. It's a metal gear game alright. Fox engine is looking fine too.

Kiefer is a great voice actor, but I don't feel he is "better" or more well suited to the job than Hayter...hayte's work in peace walker was really impressive.

Man I miss snake's old voice.

cackhyena

Played it today. It's a metal gear game alright. Fox engine is looking fine too.

Kiefer is a great voice actor, but I don't feel he is "better" or more well suited to the job than Hayter...hayte's work in peace walker was really impressive.

4209835151.png

Spaghetti

wow, could not disagree more

peace walker only really highlighted that hayter couldn't maintain the voice with fast and forceful speaking. even in the takes they kept (as in, made it into the game), he slipped out of it during a grunt (when he's
beating on the ai pod at the end and going "why" etc
). it's too much of a buzzsaw in his throat to deliver lines convincingly.

sutherland lowered his voice, but still to the degree where he could convey emotion without breaking it.

Spazznid

Wouldn't say that the reversible cover is trivial when you have to live with the ugly standard cover with a big ugly german FSK logo and with the knowlegde that other ones have a superior cover inside.

Yeah, I can see it's really hard to print stuff there. Not trying to rain on anyone's rain parade, but for serious, you can print a new cover.

I really want to pre-order this digitally for the PS4 so that I can get the pre-order bonus, but it is still not up in the store for pre-order with only a few days left to go. What on earth is going on?

I really want to pre-order this digitally for the PS4 so that I can get the pre-order bonus, but it is still not up in the store for pre-order with only a few days left to go. What on earth is going on?

It will be up on release day, there is no digital pre-order for the PS4 version.

I haven't finished Peace Walker myself as I find it to be far too bloated for a Metal Gear game. I don't even really have a problem with the mechanics in general and I get that they're there because it was designed as a portable game with a lot of sidetrack stuff, but I like my Metal Gear to be more linear and intense like the original.

That being said, I'm in hype mode so I may pick up Peace Walker HD and finish it just because why the fuck not.

Wounded

With regard to Hayter, I love his Snake voice in MGS1. It's so good. It gets far more gravelly in 4, which I think was ok for how old he is then. But I don't get why they use that voice in PW and for Big Boss in general. It doesn't really fit.

Imm0rt4l

Lol

Megasoum

Banned
Wait so I was planning on getting it digital on PS4 since it's cheaper but it's not on the store right now.

So there's not pre-order bonus for this game? And I know they reduced the prices for the physicals copies but I imagine they didn'T change the digital prices?

Sorry but no. Peace Walker is what convinced me he can't do the snake voice anymore. You can tell he's struggling to just maintain the voice that he doesn't bother with proper inflection and the like.

Edzi

Sorry but no. Peace Walker is what convinced me he can't do the snake voice anymore. You can tell he's struggling to just maintain the voice that he doesn't bother with proper inflection and the like.

Granted I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but I've gotta say that most of the complaints I've been hearing lately about Hayter seem to have more to do with the voice directing quality and not entirely his voice acting. We already know he was capable, as seen in MGS1-3, so I don't think it's fair to say that he can't do or wasn't a good fit for Snake's voice.

Granted I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but I've gotta say that most of the complaints I've been hearing lately about Hayter seem to have more to do with the voice directing quality and not entirely his voice acting. We already know he was capable, as seen in MGS1-3, so I don't think it's fair to say that he can't do or wasn't a good fit for Snake's voice.
Considering how every other voice actor does at least a decent job at their performance I don't think we could blame the directing.

rvy

Banned
I never got the problem with Hayter.

Voice acting direction suffered as a whole when Blaustein left, but the original game had the "luxury" of being recorded in poor conditions, so Snake, especially, sounded much better than he would otherwise. I think David was also sick during a lot of the recording.

What we ended up getting for the sequels was poorer voice direction and Hayter trying to mimic his MGS recordings.

I don't have a problem with Hayter, quite frankly. I think he would do fine for GZ and TPP as long as the voice direction was there, but it's not.

Ridley327

Voice acting direction suffered as a whole when Blaustein left, but the original game had the "luxury" of being recorded in poor conditions, so Snake, especially, sounded much better than he would otherwise. I think David was also sick during a lot of the recording.

What we ended up getting for the sequels was poorer voice direction and Hayter trying to mimic his MGS recordings.

I don't have a problem with Hayter, quite frankly. I think he would do fine for GZ and TPP as long as the voice direction was there, but it's not.

It also can't be ignored that Kojima insisting on literal translations of his scripts, starting with MGS2, is also a big culprit. Blaustein reportedly had to rewrite a lot of stuff to make MGS1 sound like the Hollywood blockbuster-aping game that it is, and it really shows with the other games.

It also can't be ignored that Kojima insisting on literal translations of his scripts, starting with MGS2, is also a big culprit. Blaustein reportedly had to rewrite a lot of stuff to make MGS1 sound like the Hollywood blockbuster-aping game that it is, and it really shows with the other games.

According to Blaustein the literal translation was forced into MGS1 for some scenes against Blaustein's will, like the 'can love bloom on the battlefield'

@ToraShiro - Could we at least get some official high-res artwork of that Shinkawa cover?

I'm working on getting approvals to put that up, hopefully later today. I've got the full res version, looks super nice and would rather you guys link that all over the place.

hemo memo

Gold Member
51MB Update 01.01

- Fixes bug where part of the user's Online ID overlaps with the score in the ranking screen under certain conditions.

- Fixed bug where required space for saved data was not accurately calculated when there is not enough space on the System Storage to save.

rvy

Banned
51MB Update 01.01

- Fixes bug where part of the user's Online ID overlaps with the score in the ranking screen under certain conditions.

- Fixed bug where required space for saved data was not accurately calculated when there is not enough space on the System Storage to save.

Nonsense.

Konami hates detailing shit they fix in patch notes.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
*KNOCK KNOCK*

Postman: This is for you sir.

Me: A package for me? Why thank you.

*inspects package*

Me: Hmm.. the senders address is Konami. Yes this must be MGS:GZ.. That next gen feel in 60fps.

*opens package*

X360. :|

Fuuuu

dc89

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Postman: This is for you sir.

Me: A package for me? Why thank you.

*inspects package*

Me: Hmm.. the senders address is Konami. Yes this must be MGS:GZ.. That next gen feel in 60fps.

*opens package*

X360. :|

Fuuuu

*slow claps*

They got you good.

Ishida

Banned

Finally, someone who realizes that Hayter is not the problem, but the voice direction. Even then, I never had any problem with Hayter's performance/voice tone on Portable Ops / Peace Walker. I liked it a lot.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Peace Walker for the first time in anticipation of Ground Zeroes. Graphics have held up pretty well (considering it was a friggin PSP game) but I can't say I'm enjoying the level-based system and team micromanagement.

Top Bottom