• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will arrive on PC via Steam on December 18 2014

Teremap

Banned
Hah, I love how the only reason to my PS4 is exclusives, rather than it actually being better than alternate platforms.
Pretty much. I have no choice but to wait for a price drop because the exclusives are, quite literally, the ONLY reason for me to even consider a console at this point in time. And there's not that many of them.
Sigh I don't know if I can go back to playing Souls games at sub-30 FPS.
Yeah, it's a tall order. I know Bloodborne is being made with help from Sony but console exclusivity in the year 2015 still annoys the hell out of me conceptually.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, it's a tall order. I know Bloodborne is being made with help from Sony but console exclusivity in the year 2015 still annoys the hell out of me conceptually.

They are needed to give a flair to a console, without them there would be no difference, no reason to pick one versus the other.

I'd argue that PC really is not in direct competition to either console. It exists in its own space, that's why Ryse and Dead Rising 3 coming to PC isn't a blow to the Xbox One.
I very much doubt people having bought either game on Xbox One would have bought it on PC had it been an option back then.

Opiate

They are needed to give a flair to a console, without them there would be no difference, no reason to pick one versus the other.

I'd argue that PC really is not in direct competition to either console. It exists in its own space, that's why Ryse and Dead Rising 3 coming to PC isn't a blow to the Xbox One.
I very much doubt people having bought either game on Xbox One would have bought it on PC had it been an option back then.

It really depends on how one defines "direct competitor."

I mean, one can make a ready argument that iOS is not a direct competitor to 3DS or Vita -- different interface, more open platform, DD only, multipurpose devices instead of gaming-centric device -- and yet iOS is clearly siphoning users away from 3DS/Vita regardless.

Where one draws the line is almost arbitrary, as long as it is consistent. I do think that once one has invested in one particular platform, they're not very likely to invest in another instead. However, I think it's entirely possible that it might persuade people looking to jump in later. Would a PC port of Gran Turismo get Playstation 4 users to jump in and buy the PC version instead/as well? Probably not. Might it get people just buying a platform to choose the PC instead of the PS4? Possibly.

sense

Nothing in your list is even remotely close to picking my interest. That was my point by the way, I don't care how many exclusives consoles have, what matters to me is whether or not they're aligned with my tastes.

I feel like you need to broaden your horizon if none of those even remotely pique your interest. even on pc i try the games out before I say they are not of my interest. i have played starcraft2, league of legends, civilization, mmos like wow, planetside etc...and i feel like they are not my type and never bother getting into those kinds of games. i am mostly ps4 for exclusives and pc for some shooters that i have friends to play with mostly coop games though and some cod and medal of honor from time to time. i have put in a ridiculous amount of time into hearthstone and xcom though.

Kezen

Banned
It really depends on how one defines "direct competitor."

I mean, one can make a ready argument that iOS is not a direct competitor to 3DS or Vita -- different interface, more open platform, DD only, multipurpose devices instead of gaming-centric device -- and yet it's clearly siphoning users away from those devices.

Where one draws the line is almost arbitrary, as long as it is consistent. I do think that once one has invested in one particular platform, they're not very likely to invest in another instead. However, I think it's entirely possible that it might persuade people looking o jump in later. Would a PC port of Gran Turismo get Playstation 4 users to jump in and buy the PC version instead/as well? Probably not. Might it get people just buying a platform to choose the PC instead of the PS4? Possibly.

Yes, it is entirely possible that some people just looking around for a platform might opt for PC if they share a great deal of titles with consoles or if console exclusives start to appear en masse on PC, but one has to be cognizant of the wide disparities in experience between PC and consoles. It's true that PC gaming has become a bit more accessible and straightforward than it used to be but it's still far from being as "comfortable" as consoles. This is debattable on a game per game basis, but my point is that PC has still a certain mentality associated to it, you need to be relatively tech savy to enjoy and tame the platform. So,hypothetically even if console exclusive were to be on PC I don't think it would harm consoles much because the people playing on PC might not have bought a console + the game + online (given that more and more games are online) and people playing on consoles choose so for a reason, I do not have anything empirical to back up my understanding, only irrelevant anecdotes.
Even today I believe PC is a different beast, for better or worse and not a platform which immediately competes against consoles, perhaps this is why we get away with better looking games and free online, don't you think console manufacturers would start to pressure publishers if PC was eating their lunch ? No, I think they don't care because PC is catering to a different demographics (although I'll concede lines are getting blurres somewhat) with different levels of tolerance to the quirks of a platform.
Now, there is the image argument. Exclusives appearing on PC would degrade the image of the console. That's possible but I believe the impact is massively overblown, would Ryse or whatever exclusive on PC turn people off the console ? Why would that happen the Xbox One is still the platform they would have played the game on regardless, I think console gamers are a lot more attached to the straighforwardness of the console environment than believed, to the ones I know it couldn't matter less if X or Y exclusive comes to PC because they play on consoles, that's where their interest is.

I feel like you need to broaden your horizon if none of those even remotely pique your interest. even on pc i try the games out before I say they are not of my interest. i have played starcraft2, league of legends, civilization, mmos like wow, planetside etc...and i feel like they are not my type and never bother getting into those kinds of games. i am mostly ps4 for exclusives and pc for some shooters that i have friends to play with mostly coop games though and some cod and medal of honor from time to time. i have put in a ridiculous amount of time into hearthstone and xcom though.
Perhaps you're right. But so far nothing except UC4 and The Order to a much smaller extent are interesting to me. I love The Order's art, and the gameplay seems polished enough but it's not a revelation at all. The game which made me rush to buy a PS3 was.....The Last Guardian because I couldn't get ANYTHING like this on PC.
The Order will certainly be a good game but I have enough TPSs to play on PC, same goes for FPS.
I'm starting to kick myself for not having waited a little more, the PS4 is gathering dust right now.

The engine's obviously grown a lot since it was designed for MGS4, and I can't imagine pop in would be the sort of thing 100% baked into the engine and impossible to fix, but I can't say for sure. I do find it odd they don't manage to have a much larger distance before things pop in on PS4 with all that memory though. I at least assume that's usually the bottleneck usually?

this is a completely different engine than mgs4. fox engine was developed from the ground up after MGS4 with multi-platform and streamlined development as a focus.

the pop-in is more than likely a concession for 100% 60 fps with no compromise

Spaghetti

totally didn't expect this thread to take a consoles vs pc spin, but whatever

regardless, even if the pop-in remains in the pc version, modders will find a way to fix it

Boogybro

iSuDan7QpjLmJ.gif

Even though I'm not getting this on PC due to mine being a piece of shit I can easily see this being amazing if people mod it. This game was screaming for a level editor and other tools. Hell, even changing enemy placements or adding a few would be cool.

Eusis

Sigh I don't know if I can go back to playing Souls games at sub-30 FPS.
I actually am able to jump back and forth, but then I made a huge investment on PS3 and my Steam version is from a shared library so I'm not guaranteed access.
Ah, I saw this before the edit, without the second clause. That makes more sense. Because overall the games couldn't be more different. I've seen it repeated by PS4 fans on GAF that a PS4 is somehow a PC equivalent, with similar libraries due to Sony's aggressive courting of Indies, but really that couldn't be further from the truth. It has mostly the same types of games we already saw last gen.
Yeah, when I say something like that it's usually when the games you want are on both and thus it becomes a matter or price versus performance, along with user freedom versus guaranteed performance. Games come first though and that absolutely cuts both ways.

Grief.exe

So when are we possibly getting a confirmation from Konami/Kojima?

We knew about Metal Gear Rising due to the registry, but That game just popped up on the Steam store first day of the winter sale last year.

What a genius move by Konami. Rising was the top selling game for the first 48 hours of the sale period. A time when there are millions upon millions of people browsing Steam concurrently.

eyeless

Day one!!!!!! 40 weeks later!!!!!
Dat master race.....
you seem upset

you check these dudes post history and without fail it's full of pc salt, half his 50 posts over a year are manifestations of an inferiority complex
noconstant said:
Talking about 2014, good luck playing GTA 5 on 2014 pc gamers.....
WOW great price!!!! You get to play PC games for the price of a PS4+XBONE+WiiU+32inchtv!!!!!!! I get the felling this is going to sell like hotcakes!
lol

thematic

you seem upset

you check these dudes post history and without fail it's full of pc salt, half his 50 posts over a year are manifestations of an inferiority complex

lol

it's 2014 and there are still people like him/her in here?

the only reason I can think of is s/he can't build his/her own PC (due to skills or budget) and hoping by trashing PC constantly, it will shift developers to make more games for consoles. or s/he just love being an @$$

I was a console gamer only. but since HD era (non HD games look ugly nowadays) and no backward compatibility for new consoles, I'm being smart and got cheap PC for gaming too. emulators + ultimate backward compatibility is my reasons.

no need to "master race" to enjoy good PC game with better visual than consoles.

Eusis

no you cant, ending spoiler

you can beat it in a weekend for the first credits but if you don't grind and get that real ending then ground zeroes is not going to make any sense
If you read spoilers (or just the synopsis the game starts with) you'll understand. And given how shit that grind can be it's probably a good idea to do so.

LeleSocho

Banned
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DAVID HAYTER MOD ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Oh shit. I won't double dip on Ground Zeroes, but if Phantom Pain is day and date, I'll have a tough decision to make.

On the one hand, PC version. On the other hand, it'll feel dirty playing Metal Gear on anything but a PlayStation.

Choices.

RK9039

Oh shit. I won't double dip on Ground Zeroes, but if Phantom Pain is day and date, I'll have a tough decision to make.

On the one hand, PC version. On the other hand, it'll feel dirty playing Metal Gear on anything but a PlayStation.

Choices.

Just use a DS4 on PC.

I'm going to play it with my 360 pad while standing.

Palpable

Choices.

I need to upgrade my PC since it'll have 4k support. I feel dirty for playing MG on anything but a Playstation, but since I've got GZ on PS4 and will get TPP on PS4, no harm done due to the double dipping. Gonna use a DS4 to play it on PC as well.

Spaghetti

ground zeroes has gotten a number of updates on steamdb today, looks like achievement languages have added then removed Japanese, and also have done the same for mac operating system support

so... Japanese and mac release possible?

ground zeroes has gotten a number of updates on steamdb today, looks like achievement languages have added then removed Japanese, and also have done the same for mac operating system support

so... Japanese and mac release possible?

Possible.
The weird thing is if they end up releasing it for Mac and not for SteamOS.

I mean, having MGS:V for SteamOS would be a huge help to Valve's OS.

Spaghetti

Possible.
The weird thing is if they end up releasing it for Mac and not for SteamOS.

I mean, having MGS:V for SteamOS would be a huge help to Valve's OS.
steamOS is kind of unproven and doesn't offer much right now, it makes more sense to put it on mac than linux based systems at the moment

Spaghetti

unintentional double post but i figure this could use a bump seeing how we've got confirmation of a japanese release locked down.

apparently two people have been playing it this week (tora maybe?), but start expecting screens and maybe a price announcement in the coming weeks.

kudoboi

unintentional double post but i figure this could use a bump seeing how we've got confirmation of a japanese release locked down.

apparently two people have been playing it this week (tora maybe?), but start expecting screens and maybe a price announcement in the coming weeks.

nice! so this game might also be released for asia unlike other konami games on steam

Spaghetti

I'll be applying my new rule for buying Japanese games. Don't preorder. Wait to see if it's an actual PC game.
i don't think you have much to worry about.

konami haven't really got a bad modern track record for pc games, and the fox engine was designed from the ground up to be compatible with the platform. the fact they're going to add more dynamic light sources and supporting resolutions above 1080p means they aren't taking the port lightly.

RedSwirl

I'll be applying my new rule for buying Japanese games. Don't preorder. Wait to see if it's an actual PC game.

I'd use the PC version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 as a bar. It runs on the same engine and is already on Steam. I don't know what it's actually like though.

Spaghetti

I'd use the PC version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 as a bar. It runs on the same engine and is already on Steam. I don't know what it's actually like though.
the PES ports aren't that great and are definitely not an indication of the ground zeroes port.

doesn't matter if it's running the same engine either.

KojiPro LA's Online Community Manager, Robert Allen Peeler, posted the following on Steam a few days ago, regarding the PC versions of both GZ and TPP:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311340/discussions/0/613941122619835287/?l=english

http://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/620696522077942813/

To summarise, he'll be monitoring the Steam community for any kind of feedback such as what you expect from the PC version, what you want it to have, etc. Therefore, anyone who's interested in the PC versions should leave feedback on the links above.

Ark

I'm really happy they've got a community manager for the Steam versions. Gives me a lot of confidence that the PC version won't be terrible.

Kezen

Banned
KojiPro LA's Online Community Manager, Robert Allen Peeler, posted the following on Steam a few days ago, regarding the PC versions of both GZ and TPP:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311340/discussions/0/613941122619835287/?l=english

To summarise, he'll be monitoring the Steam community for any kind of feedback such as what you expect from the PC version, what you want it to have, etc. Therefore, anyone who's interested in the PC versions should leave feedback on the links above.

Thanks for the link.
My list :
Much higher quality textures
Tessellation/POM
HBAO+
Contact hardening shadows
Better LOD
4K compatible (UI scaling)
Full res bokeh

It's nice to dream and regardless it's a day one buy from me. I can't believe MGS is no longer a console exclusive IP. :)

RK9039

I think ToraShiro posted in that thread too. I think he knows what we want,
WHERE'S MGO3 MATES?

Goon Boon

Banned

I think a big thing people need to push is releasing close to the console version's release, if not the same day.

Top Bottom