• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

So what is going on with the flaming dude? Volgin?

I wonder if it's really him or just a cameo and big boss having flashbacks (caused by psycho mantis)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
But isn't that one of the main points Kojima tries to make? "The man is no match for the legend." You think Big Boss (and Solid Snake, to a lesser extent) is a legendary bad-ass, until you realize that he's just a pawn, turned into a legend by government/military propaganda.
Very true, it's worth considering. But I just think Kojima takes it a little too far, robbing Big Boss of almost any inherently compelling traits whatsoever.

Izick

Here's some interesting, Metal Gear related events that take place in African countries during the 1980's.

Metal Gear Wikia said:
Liberia

During the late 1980s, specifically 1989-1996, a civil war that would come to be known as the First Liberian Civil War occurred. A boy, Jack, was later recruited into a unit of child soldiers commanded by Solidus Snake, after the latter murdered the former's parents.

Metal Gear Wikia said:
South Africa

The mercenary nation of Outer Heaven emerged in South Africa in the 1980s, 200 kilometers north of Garzburg.

Metal Gear Wikia said:
Uganda

In 1987, an insurgency occurred known as the Lord's Resistance Army insurgency led by the Lord's Resistance Army group. The arms smuggler and weapons dealer Drebin 893 was a former child soldier in the group after the latter orphaned him.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/African_countries

That's fair, but I think it was mostly effective in conveying his "I've given up talking, all I have left is to do" kind of attitude in MGS4.

Yeah, I don't think it's all bad. I think some scenes, like when Snake meets up with Meryl and tries to hide his face from her, are absolutely brilliant, but sometimes it's just too much for me. I take the good with the bad with MGS4. I absolutely adore that game, but I always think of it as the best worst game of all time. It has the highest highs and the lowest lows of the entire Metal Gear saga, for me.

I wonder if it's really him or just a cameo and big boss having flashbacks (caused by psycho mantis)

Almost definitely this. Volgin's way dead :p

Here's some interesting, Metal Gear related events that take place in African countries during the 1980's.

I'm holding a secret hope that we might be able to take a quick visit to Tselinoyarsk in the Afghanistan portion of the game. Depending on where exactly we are in Afghanistan, and whether we can ride around on the Diamond Dogs chopper, Tselinoyarsk might be pretty close (MGS3's opening suggests it's in Tajikistan, right next door).

duckroll

Phantom Pain starts in 1984, so I think it's unlikely we'll see events towards the end of the 80s unless there's another timeskip during the game. What we'll likely see are the seeds which lead to those events. The birth of Outer Heaven, the influence of Big Boss and his war against Cipher on the region, the rise of the young Snakes, etc.

Izick

Also, Kojima sure picked an interesting date for Snake to wake up on.

BgUbtEP.jpg

Not to mention it seems like this book is becoming more and more relevant with each passing day.

Phantom Pain starts in 1984, so I think it's unlikely we'll see events towards the end of the 80s unless there's another timeskip during the game. What we'll likely see are the seeds which lead to those events. The birth of Outer Heaven, the influence of Big Boss and his war against Cipher on the region, the rise of the young Snakes, etc.

Yeah, I suppose it depends all on how far into the timeline they go into after 1984. It's interesting though, we see a older, pudgy version of Kaz. No way to tell for sure how long that is after Snake rescues him though.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Here's some interesting, Metal Gear related events that take place in African countries during the 1980's.http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/African_countries

Woah, unless my math is off, Raiden and Solidus are probably only like a decade apart in age. Solidus was pretty young himself when he first started commanding those child troops. Like, no older than 16/17.

That's kinda funny considering he's his "foster father". or does accelerated aging play a part in that?

Gun Animal

Woah, unless my math is off, Raiden and Solidus are probably only like a decade apart in age. Solidus was pretty young himself when he first started commanding those child troops. Like, no older than 16/17.

That's kinda funny considering he's his "foster father". or does accelerated aging play a part in that?

He's far younger than he appears. Even if we assume that Solidus was cloned like a week after the first batch of clones, that still makes him 12 in 1984. It actually adds a lot to his character when you consider that he's the youngest president in history, basically.

Izick

Yeah, pretty much. Despite appearances, he's only 8 years older than Jack.

He's far younger than he appears. Even if we assume that Solidus was cloned like a week after the first batch of clones, that still makes him 12 in 1984. It actually adds a lot to his character when you consider that he's the youngest president in history, basically.

I'd vote for George Sears.

He was only 28 at the time, but he looked much older. Apparently nobody checked his papers!...or they were forged.

Catalix

Man, Solidus is so underrated. The redheaded stepchild of the Snake family. I wanna get more insight on his origins!

Makes me wonder just why the Patriots had their precious perfect clone in the middle of these dangerous scenarios. Probably planting him (and his brothers) in the middle of various warzones as a training wheels experiment, to see how quickly he could adapt to hostile situations. Or how much commanding influence he can gain over large groups of people (like his child army).

Gun Animal

Man, Solidus is so underrated. The redheaded stepchild of the Snake family. I wanna get more insight on his origins!

Where could they go in-universe with the MGSV/MGSPW "Ops" or open world gameplay structure? More importantly, where could they go while still using the "Snake" character for brand recognition? One answer.

Metal Gear Solidus.

Solo

i thought these prequel big boss games were mgs3 brand of wacky, and mgs4 was mgs2 brand of wacky?

MGS2 was Kojima unleashed. That game was driven 100% by pure creative passion. MGS4 was Kojima on the leash of fans. That game is retcon and fanservice central. A great example of why devs should never listen to fans.

seldead

MGS2 was Kojima unleashed. That game was driven 100% by pure creative passion. MGS4 was Kojima on the leash of fans. That game is retcon and fanservice central. A great example of why devs should never listen to fans.

You don't think it was more him just trying to tie up alot of loose end and discontinuity in the series?

/disappointed this is no longer a lock for pc

Catalix

Where could they go in-universe with the MGSV/MGSPW "Ops" or open world gameplay structure? More importantly, where could they go while still using the "Snake" character for brand recognition? One answer.

Metal Gear Solidus.
I like the way you think.

You too, stranger.

Solo

You don't think it was more him just trying to tie up alot of loose end and discontinuity in the series?

/disappointed this is no longer a lock for pc

I think it was him making a sequel for a game that not only didn't require one, but also betrayed the themes of it in doing so.

All because fans whined about it for years.

I didn't ask to see Meryl get ***king married!!!

tass0

Banned
Yes, except that it's MGS 2: Sons of Liberty for me.

Nobody is probably going to believe me (and I don't blame them, because I wouldn't believe it either) but I've played the Tanker section likely about over a hundred times, and I've played through the full game probably around half of that. I remember the Summer after its release was the biggest proponent of that. I would just do speed-run after speed-run, I never got bored. I kept seeing how fast I could get through the Tanker especially; I really wish I could remember my times, but I remember telling my friend and he didn't believe me until I actually showed him. I fucking love that game. If I had to say, I've probably played it more than a dozen times with all the story stuff as well. That game was pretty much all I played in 2002. I was completely hooked on it, and I loved every minute of it. It was a game I could always come back to as the years went on, and I played that game almost every way possible.

I remember being so jealous of Substance back in the day. I think it was the main reason that got me to buy an Xbox. I loved that too. Ironically I actually liked my Xbox way more than my PS2, and I found it almost solely due to MGS.

In fact, MGS is the reason I'm here posting on a gaming forum. I had gamed through the NES on, but I never had a major passion and love for the whole industry like I did after playing MGS2. I was completely entranced by the medium, and have been following it very closely ever since. MGS2 basically was what games could be to me.

There's just something about this series...I'm not trying to rag on other people's tastes, but I just don't usually like modern Japanese games in comparison to Western games. I've tried getting into JRPG's and shoot-em-ups, but they're just not for me. There's obviously a lot of exceptions, but over the years I've come to enjoy Wester games more. With that said, MGS just transcends all of that for me. It never feels like a Japanese or a Western game. It feels like its own entity. It's the only series I will buy hardware for, it's the only series I'll do a lot of research for (MGS 2 was my first game in the series, and I hate when people say there are plot holes, because I was a newbie and took the time to do the research and I found that pretty much most of it can be explained), it's the only series that I really know I must have on day one no matter what happens. I just love it.

Seeing this trailer has made me so happy, because it has rekindled that spark I haven't had since MGS4. While I really love MGS4, like any game it had its flaws. This seems to be the best of both worlds, and everything (besides some voice acting, but that's taste and tradition) seems like an improvement by leaps and bounds. Everyone is excited again, and Kojima seems to have a game of the show on his hands.

In short, it's good to be a Metal Gear fan, and I'm glad we're all enjoying how great MGSV is shaping up to be.

Took the words from my heart.

This looks like a "real" MGS game to me, and as a die hard fan... these are good times.

foxtrot3d

Banned
No that was cheesy and felt like Kojima was out of ideas. The whole game was a mess just like MGS 2.

MGS V looks like the most serious and focused since MGS 1.

You're saying MGS3 wasn't serious and focused? Also MGS2 was great and I applaud Kojima for what he attempted to do with that game.

So like after this game is done will the MGS series as we know it be finished? Kojima really wants to move on to new IP's and after telling this story there doesnt seem much left to tell. I mean if the game doesnt take us all the way to the start of MG1 then perhaps another team could do a remake of MG1 but that seems unlikely. I don't think Kojima is very much a fan of remakes he prefers doing new things.

So do you think the MGS series will continue without Kojima? And if it does will it be all new characters, a reboot, what?

Toparaman

Banned
So like after this game is done will the MGS series as we know it be finished? Kojima really wants to move on to new IP's and after telling this story there doesnt seem much left to tell.

Times when Kojima has wanted to move on to other IPs:
After the original Metal Gear for the MSX.
After MGS2.
After MGS3.
After MGS4.

He's been wanting to move on for over 25 years. The only reason the series continued after the original Metal Gear was because Kojima was disgusted by the unauthorized sequel Snake's Revenge, and wanted to make a proper sequel.

Gun Animal

You're saying MGS3 wasn't serious and focused? Also MGS2 was great and I applaud Kojima for what he attempted to do with that game.

So like after this game is done will the MGS series as we know it be finished? Kojima really wants to move on to new IP's and after telling this story there doesnt seem much left to tell. I mean if the game doesnt take us all the way to the start of MG1 then perhaps another team could do a remake of MG1 but that seems unlikely. I don't think Kojima is very much a fan of remakes he prefers doing new things.

So do you think the MGS series will continue without Kojima? And if it does will it be all new characters, a reboot, what?

MGS4 was set in 2014. Non-prequel MGS games are usually set 5~8 years ahead of the current year, so if MGSV comes out this year and the next numbered game is released five years from now then that next game would be set in at least 2023~2026. Woah, dude. That's enough time for whole new conflicts to spring up, and for just about everyone in the series to be either dead or retired! They could come up with a whole new plot with new characters without necessarily starting a new canon/universe. It would be like a soft reboot!

Shit, when is Rising set? I wasn't paying quite enough attention to that game to remember, as much as I loved it.

Times when Kojima has wanted to move on to other IPs:
After the original Metal Gear for the MSX.
After MGS2.
After MGS3.
After MGS4.

He's been wanting to move on for over 25 years. The only reason the series continued after the original Metal Gear was because Kojima was disgusted by the unauthorized sequel Snake's Revenge, and wanted to make a proper sequel.

So basically the only planned sequels in the series are MGS2 and MGSV? Very interesting...

iamvin22

Industry Verified
so once metal gear legacy and MGSV is out how should they be played in order or are we still sticking with "after MGS4 take the story for face value"?

So what is going on with the flaming dude? Volgin?

I'm going with what it seems; Mantis causing hallucinations. The subtext reads "those who don't exist." So it seems likely.

Anyone knows the name of the song that plays in the first 2 minutes? Not Sins of Father that plays later on.

It's either the beginning of Sins of the Father or another song on the soundtrack.

Tookay

No.

It will never be finished.

Kojima will never be free.

They did not create this engine to only make one MGS game out of it.

It'll be the base for much, much more Metal Gear.

televator

So... are we gonna see Boss and Solidous meet face to face? I can only imagine what it would be like to abruptly meet a younger clone of yourself...

Top Bottom