• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

2013-06-1223_01_37-tw2larm.png

Good job Kojima. You truly deserve them.

She's a bad character because she shows her cleavage?

Sniper Wolf is as good as a Kojima character can get. Her backstory is great, her dialogue is memorable and she has her own fucking pack of wolves.

I just read back lol...

Olga, Meryl and The Boss and also throw Naomi in there...

I thought we were talking about female characters in MGS lol

Sniper Wolf, EVA both are badass :D

ZaCH3000

My personal game of the show. I mean damn, the stealth looks incredibly deep. Open world integration with stealth? That sounds like a job only Kojima can pull off.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
nvm, watched the trailer again.

Is Ocelot really Baker? he sounds so different...

Wow this man can really play EVERYTHING.

OK, stick with me here, guys, this is my best shot at putting what we know so far into chronological order:

Ground Zeroes
- Kaz hears reports of Paz being picked up in the Caribbean Sea and held by Cipher at Camp Omega. Chico has been missing for a week, they presume he's suffered the same fate. This is an elaborate ruse by Cipher (and his agent Skullface) to lure Big Boss out of Mother Base and leave it unprotected.

- Big Boss, the dope, falls for it, and moseys on out for a doomed one-man sneaking mission, in the vein of the Tanker chapter and the Virtuous Mission. As he climbs the cliffs south of Camp Omega, Skullface's men fly out north over his head (in the direction of Mother Base, in other words)

- Skullface's men have removed the XOF logos from their uniforms and helicopter. They're posing as a UN inspection team that Kaz mentions is coming to inspect Mother Base

- Big Boss finds Chico in his cage - this is where the 'strangling' scene from the newest trailer takes place. Looking at it closely, I don't really know if it's strangling, though. Big Boss has his hands crossed and he's holding Chico up by the shoulders, which is a weird way to strangle someone unless you have them pressed against a wall, y'know? He might just be trying to shake Chico awake

- Whatever it is, Chico lives at least a little while longer. He comes with Big Boss as they look for Paz, who they find chained up (this scene is also in the new trailer) at about 1:44

- The 'operation' scene. Now, this is a bit of guesswork, but I think this scene takes place on the helicopter as Big Boss, Chico and Paz are all being extracted back to Mother Base. The reason being that there's a fourth person in the scene, digging around in Paz's guts while BB and Chico hold her down. If he's working with Big Boss he's obviously not at Camp Omega, and BB didn't bring anyone else with him. I'm guessing that they're all on the chopper when they start hearing a beeping noise, and they track it to Paz's stomach (like the goon in The Dark Knight with a cellphone bomb implanted in his stomach, remember?)

- I think that explains this screenshot:
snaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

I always thought that was Big Boss flying away from Mother Base after its destruction, but that would require some other event to happen after all that to blow BB's arm off and send him into a coma. Now imagine that it actually happens on the way to Mother Base, and BB's just been holding Paz down, he's splattered with her blood, looking horrified, and he pulls the chopper's door open only to see Mother Base already on fire as they arrive.

- They land, Big Boss dashes out to try and save all his dudes, only to find all of Skullface's men and Skullface himself. I think this scene is in the new trailer, too, at about 6:47. Skullface makes a big show of disembarking from his chopper, gloating, and Big Boss catches a surprise attack, loses the arm, drops into a nine year coma. Kaz presumably finds him and drags him onto the one remaining chopper to escape, or something equally dramatic.

- Gorgeous opening credits sequence scored with 'Sins of the Father', late title card, begin...

The Phantom Pain
- Big Boss phases in and out of consciousness for a while, hears muffled voices, sees that bald doctor, etc

- Things start exploding, BB falls out of his bed, sees his hook hand for the first time, and then 'Ishmael' appears to save him. Ishmael is, according to various theories, either a representation of BB's own will to survive, or a hallucination caused by young Psycho Mantis (the blonde kid in the gasmask and strait jacket) to either lead Big Boss to safety or even worse harm

- Hallucinations galore as Big Boss drags his wasted body out of the hospital. Fiery Volgin, fiery horse, fiery whale, etc etc

- At some point Big Boss and Ishmael get into an ambulance, but this flips over (slow motion shot in the original Phantom Pain trailer)

- Ocelot shows up on a horse to save the day. Big Boss rides pillion, using a shotgun to shoot at the fiery horse chasing them (if it is indeed a hallucination, I wonder what Ocelot makes of BB shooting at nothing :p)

- After they escape, BB goes through some kind of undefined recovery period in which he gets swole once more, grows a sick ponytail, and has a new robot hand fitted. He might also start up his Diamond Dogs private army at this point, but perhaps that only happens once he rescues Kaz

- Oh right, Kaz. Well, the best we can assume is that Kaz gets captured at some point while BB is in his coma. And, at this point in the Metal Gear universe timeline, the prime suspect for any capturing is going to be Cipher. Peace Walker mega-spoilers:
Kaz was accepting bribes from Cipher throughout the events of Peace Walker, but he cut ties with them at some point before the end, so perhaps they hold a grudge
. When BB finds him, he's short one arm, one foot and maybe an eye

- What he certainly isn't short on, though, is lust for revenge. Peace and harmony evidently isn't a big thing amongst the Diamond Dogs, and this is where all the exciting taboo-violation and mature themes of MGSV will presumably begin. Kaz takes to wearing a beret and trenchcoat

- Dem torture scenes. I'm guessing Kaz and Big Boss are looking for moles - they need to know that Cipher doesn't have any agents in their organization - and Ocelot is just happy to be involved. Dude loves torturin'. Either that or they're teaching their own people how to resist torture if they're ever captured.

Phew, that's the best I can do for now. I'm sure I've got some of it wrong, but I love theorising on Metal Gear trailers.

Izick

It's like people TRY to forget that there are men with less than average clothes in the MGS games too.

Mgs-liquid-snake.jpg

snake_torture_splash.jpg

3602704mk3.jpg

vamp_07_640w.jpg

Vampju0.png

Vulcanraven.gif

-------------------------------

103.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

big-bosses-mgs2-rosemary.jpg

Emma-Emmerich-Metal-Gear-Solid-2-Sons-of-Liberty.jpg

mgs2_137_2e3.jpg

normal_mgs219.jpg

Fortune-with_coat_Doc_lighting_color(255).png

metal-gear-solid-4-meryl-silverburgh.jpg

It's like...different people wear different types of clothes!

EDIT: Sorry. I had to put the Rosemary MGS4 image through imgur because it loaded some weird image from the host site if I didn't in its place.

OK, stick with me here, guys, this is my best shot at putting what we know so far into chronological order:

Ground Zeroes
- Kaz hears reports of Paz being picked up in the Caribbean Sea and held by Cipher at Camp Omega. Chico has been missing for a week, they presume he's suffered the same fate. This is an elaborate ruse by Cipher (and his agent Skullface) to lure Big Boss out of Mother Base and leave it unprotected.

- Big Boss, the dope, falls for it, and moseys on out for a doomed one-man sneaking mission, in the vein of the Tanker chapter and the Virtuous Mission. As he climbs the cliffs south of Camp Omega, Skullface's men fly out north over his head (in the direction of Mother Base, in other words)

- Skullface's men have removed the XOF logos from their uniforms and helicopter. They're posing as a UN inspection team that Kaz mentions is coming to inspect Mother Base

- Big Boss finds Chico in his cage - this is where the 'strangling' scene from the newest trailer takes place. Looking at it closely, I don't really know if it's strangling, though. Big Boss has his hands crossed and he's holding Chico up by the shoulders, which is a weird way to strangle someone unless you have them pressed against a wall, y'know? He might just be trying to shake Chico away

- Whatever it is, Chico lives at least a little while longer. He comes with Big Boss as they look for Paz, who they find chained up (this scene is also in the new trailer) at about 1:44

- The 'operation' scene. Now, this is a bit of guesswork, but I think this scene takes place on the helicopter as Big Boss, Chico and Paz are all being extracted back to Mother Base. The reason being that there's a fourth person in the scene, digging around in Paz's guts while BB and Chico hold her down. If he's working with Big Boss he's obviously not at Camp Omega, and BB didn't bring anyone else with him. I'm guessing that they're all on the chopper when they start hearing a beeping noise, and they track it to Paz's stomach (like the goon in The Dark Knight with a cellphone bomb implanted in his stomach, remember?)

snaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

I always thought that was Big Boss flying away from Mother Base after its destruction, but that would require some other event to happen after all that to blow BB's arm off and send him into a coma. Now imagine that it actually happens on the way to Mother Base, and BB's just been holding Paz down, he's splattered with her blood, looking horrified, and he pulls the chopper's door open only to see Mother Base already on fire as they arrive.

- They land, Big Boss dashes out to try and save all his dudes, only to find all of Skullface's men and Skullface himself. I think this scene is in the new trailer, too, at about 6:47. Skullface makes a big show of disembarking from his chopper, gloating, and Big Boss catches a surprise attack, loses the arm, drops into a nine year coma. Kaz presumably finds him and drags him onto the one remaining chopper to escape, or something equally dramatic.

- Gorgeous opening credits sequence scored with 'Sins of the Father', late title card, begin...

The Phantom Pain
- Big Boss phases in and out of consciousness for a while, hears muffled voices, sees that bald doctor, etc

- Things start exploding, BB falls out of his bed, sees his hook hand for the first time, and then 'Ishmael' appears to save him. Ishmael is, according to various theories, either a representation of BB's own will to survive, or a hallucination caused by young Psycho Mantis (the blonde kid in the gasmask and strait jacket) to either lead Big Boss to safety or even worse harm

- Hallucinations galore as Big Boss drags his wasted body out of the hospital. Fiery Volgin, fiery horse, fiery whale, etc etc

- At some point Big Boss and Ishmael get into an ambulance, but this flips over (slow motion shot in the original Phantom Pain trailer)

- Ocelot shows up on a horse to save the day. Big Boss rides pillion, using a shotgun to shoot at the fiery horse chasing them (if it is indeed a hallucination, I wonder what Ocelot makes of BB shooting at nothing :p)

- After they escape, BB goes through some kind of undefined recovery period in which he gets swole once more, grows a sick ponytail, and has a new robot hand fitted. He might also start up his Diamond Dogs private army at this point, but perhaps that only happens once he rescues Kaz

- Oh right, Kaz. Well, the best we can assume is that Kaz gets captured at some point while BB is in his coma. And, at this point in the Metal Gear universe timeline, the prime suspect for any capturing is going to be Cipher. Peace Walker mega-spoilers:
Kaz was accepting bribes from Cipher throughout the events of Peace Walker, but he cut ties with them at some point before the end, so perhaps they hold a grudge

- What he certainly isn't short on, though, is lust for revenge. Peace and harmony evidently isn't a big thing amongst the Diamond Dogs, and this is where all the exciting taboo-violation and mature themes of MGSV will presumably begin. Kaz takes to wearing a beret and trenchcoat

- Dem torture scenes. I'm guessing Kaz and Big Boss are looking for moles - they need to know that Cipher doesn't have any agents in their organization - and Ocelot is just happy to be involved. Dude loves torturin'. Either that or they're teaching their own people how to resist torture if they're ever captured.

Phew, that's the best I can do for now. I'm sure I've got some of it wrong, but I love theorising on Metal Gear trailers.

That seems all fairly correct and makes sense. I firmly believe that the Ground Zeros portion ends with the destruction of Mother Base.

The blood on his face part doesn't make much sense, because it looks like he's got a cut there too. Which disappears when he's firing from the helicopter and on the ground fighting with his men.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Ground Zeroes

- Big Boss finds Chico in his cage - this is where the 'strangling' scene from the newest trailer takes place. Looking at it closely, I don't really know if it's strangling, though. Big Boss has his hands crossed and he's holding Chico up by the shoulders, which is a weird way to strangle someone unless you have them pressed against a wall, y'know? He might just be trying to shake Chico away

snaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

The Phantom Pain

Dude are you me? great job, i would have done it myself but my english is too sucky lol.

olympia

The blood on his face part doesn't make much sense, because it looks like he's got a cut there too. Which disappears when he's firing from the helicopter and on the ground fighting with his men.

That cut could feasibly have happened from something that transpired at Camp Omega prior to returning to Mother Base.

The MGS subreddit also has a pretty cool ARG thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/1g6qgx/the_official_metal_gear_solid_v_arg_thread/

Afrikan

welp finally watched it....i guess only the beginning and ending part was different.

either way that was a mistake on my part...excited as fuck right now....and I'm done, going on Media Blackout.

Toparaman

Banned
the-boss-mgs3.jpg

He also made The Boss probably the single greatest female character in gaming.

Absolutely. Then there was the atrocious Beauty and the Beast unit in MGS4.

"These women are traumatized by war. They're also smoking hot with supermodel bodies. And you helped free them from their torment Snake. Say, send some of those sexy photos over when you get the chance. I need to fap." - Drebin

Liquid Snake is THE most underrated character in MGS franchise, and IIRC, Kojima also regrets killing Liquid Snake too early.
Well, at least it's good they didn't drag him out. The arc of Liquid in 1 was well executed, you shoot him down in an attack chopper, you blow up the Metal Gear he's piloting, you then beat him up on top of said Metal Gear, and then you shoot him down in a car chase. He finally gets the upper hand after all that and doesn't even die by your hand, just dumb luck. I love it. I don't think they'd do his character any favours by keeping him around, the surrogate Liquid in Ocelot was enough.

dan2026

I don't think you would be able to stay conscious while someone rummages around in your intestines.

This game is completely unbelievably!

Alienous

Ground Zeroes

- Big Boss finds Chico in his cage - this is where the 'strangling' scene from the newest trailer takes place. Looking at it closely, I don't really know if it's strangling, though. Big Boss has his hands crossed and he's holding Chico up by the shoulders, which is a weird way to strangle someone unless you have them pressed against a wall, y'know? He might just be trying to shake Chico awake

snaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

The Phantom Pain

You're forgetting the scene where Kaz shakes a dazed Snake, then hits his hand on a helicopter interior(?) in frustration.

Also, Kaz is in a hospital bed. He and Big Boss go down, probably together, but Kaz is less injured. While Snake is out cold, he probably tries to exact revenge, and gets himself captured.

Also, Boss has the shrapnel in his head during the coma, right? It could be what puts him into it. I've heard a theory that it's the 'Peace' package that blows up in his face, taking his arm, but that would require the rearranging of both your timeline and my own.

Great point on the torture. It probably is a test of their resolve; "Would you betray us Emmerich" ... "No, uh" ... "Did you wet yourself?" ... "Uh" ... "No worries, happens to the best of us".

Alienous

No, I don't think so. A boring flashback scenario wouldn't be as impactful. Besides, I don't think that's how Kojima rolls.

That is probably the case.

Phantom Pain is the tutorial. You learn how to crawl, crouch, walk and run as Big Boss does.

So, if Ground Zeroes is the Tanker chapter, then Phantom Pain would have to be told first (to be effective as a tutorial). It could be done well; "How did I get here, what happened, my arm ... wait, Cuba".

Absolutely. Then there was the atrocious Beauty and the Beast unit in MGS4.

"These women are traumatized by war. They're also smoking hot with supermodel bodies. And you helped free them from their torment Snake. Say, send some of those sexy photos over when you get the chance. I need to fap." - Drebin

God Drebin was the worst. THE WORST!

foxtrot3d

Banned
Also don't forget that robot arm Big Boss is sporting is likely Zadornov's robotic arm from Peace Walker. In the second trailer at the post credits scene we see him light a cigar, presumably with the robotic arm. Zadornov's robotic arm had a lighter.

But I'll just say thing again:

The one thing that is puzzling me the most is the role of Kaz/Master Miller. Before Peace Walker Miller was an unimportant character, you only really "met" him in MG2 and in MGS1 he just turned out to be Liquid in disguise, as Liquid presumably killed him.

Now all of a sudden we find out he has a MAJOR role in the creation of Outer Heaven and has a close relationship with Big Boss. So the question is what the fuck happens to him especially after the events of MG1 and MG2 when BB is gone? Who really killed him and why? And why is he wearing a trench coat like he's Big Boss or something?

Snake/Big Boss needs to start sporting that trench coat now he's no longer Naked Snake he is the legend Big Boss, creator of Outer Heaven, and The Boss's successor. So there better be a fucking tench coat outfit for Snake too.

Yeah, you're right - I just watched the 'Not Your Kind of People' trailer, and he doesn't have any cuts or blood on his face when he's flying towards the destroyed Mother Base. Kaz bangs his fist against the chopper door, and both he and Big Boss look reasonably healthy. Oh well, back to the drawing board on that one, then.

EDIT - But then when does Big Boss get all covered in blood, if he escapes from Mother Base unscathed?

SkylineRKR

Good post Matrix.

But what about Chico's headphone jack being plugged into his body? And Paz has this sort of bomb in her womb (lol). Connections? Walking bombs or eavesdroppers?

Alienous

Also don't forget that robot arm Big Boss is sporting is likely Zadornov's robotic arm from Peace Walker. In the second trailer at the post credits scene we see him light a cigar, presumably with the robotic arm. Zadornov's robotic arm had a lighter.

But I'll just say thing again:

The one thing that is puzzling me the most is the role of Kaz/Master Miller. Before Peace Walker Miller was an unimportant character, you only really "met" him in MG2 and in MGS1 he just turned out to be Liquid in disguise, as Liquid presumably killed him.

Now all of a sudden we find out he has a MAJOR role in the creation of Outer Heaven and has a close relationship with Big Boss. So the question is what the fuck happens to him especially after the events of MG1 and MG2 when BB is gone? Who really killed him and why? And why is he wearing a trench coat like he's Big Boss or something?

Snake/Big Boss needs to start sporting that trench coat now he's no longer Naked Snake he is the legend Big Boss, creator of Outer Heaven, and The Boss's successor. So there better be a fucking tench coat outfit for Snake too.

Opposite arm. But, I'm sure they make them in pairs.

Also, Liquid might have killed Miller and assumed his role.
If he is Eli, he would have had an extended relationship, and perhaps a motive to kill due to Miller's relationship with Cipher

Top Bottom