• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EVERY time people think character A is really B in MGS trailers, and they are always wrong.

Skull Face is just a new character. Some sort of zombie dude experiment or whatever. Probably a Patriot prototype they made to transfer their minds into new bodies, or get immortality, but it didn't work out well (so they go the AI route instead). The clay head they showed in the tech presentation at GDC was for a character who is over 100 years old. I don't think it's the old man from the trailer. Those weird soldiers that jump around also look like zombies.

DrBo42

Am I the only one trying to decipher that poster. Kojima said that there is hidden information seems like we make get some news 6/14 but I just maybe speculating. Here is whats on the poster

ACC: 320451
ACQ TM: OD:23:46:21V
TEST:TWTXKE1.3
EVENT 00342
MACH 5.00
RUN 223
RERUN 0
SECTOR:6.14
D8:35:21:77

Reminds me of when we get final discs at work or at least a release candidate.

Edit: Maybe some sort of verifier test.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All this Metal Gear excitement has me wanting to dive back in and replay MGS2-4 + PW for platinum trophies. But that's suicidal.

The only platinum that puts up a halfway decent fight is MGS2 due to the VR missions.

But it's worth it because the VR/Alternative missions are excellent and require you to actually learn how to play MGS2 in a non-shitty fashion.

Peace Walker can be hard, but due to tedium, not genuine challenge. MGS3 is fun to get, and I never got it but I assume MGS4 would be fun in it's own way as well.

Izick

Guys and gals, you're thinking too literally. Skull Face can be Kaz in Snake's mind without actually being a separate, physical entity called Skull Face. We still have no idea what is and isn't real.

Not like there were a set amount of rules before, but when Kojima had Snake in a coma, all the rules went out the window. We've already seen certain enemies that look like strange, perverted versions of past adversaries and allies in certain trailers. Who's to say Skull Face isn't something Snake has cooked up in his mind? Maybe defeating him (Kaz) will somehow give Snake some kind of inner peace for his past.

Like I said, nothing in stone obviously, but still stuff I thought I'd share.

EVERY time people think character A is really B in MGS trailers, and they are always wrong.

Skull Face is just a new character. Some sort of zombie dude experiment or whatever. Probably a Patriot prototype they made to transfer their minds into new bodies, or get immortality, but it didn't work out well (so they go the AI route instead). The clay head they showed in the tech presentation at GDC was for a character who is over 100 years old. I don't think it's the old man from the trailer. Those weird soldiers that jump around also look like zombies.

I'm not saying it literally has to be Kaz, but all those connections I listed to the Howard novels are a little too eerily close, right down to the actual names and pseudonyms of characters.

pa22word

Oh my, Peace Walker is way too wordy, even by MGS standards. It's like playing a visual novel.

It's not fun so I'll just read a summary.

What the fuck? That game is 20/30 hours long and there's less than an hour of cutscenes total. It's easily the most meaty game in the entire series on a story to gameplay ratio by a very significant margin.

I'd hate to see you play MGS4 with its 30+ min long cutscenes...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What the fuck? That game is 20/30 hours long and there's less than an hour of cutscenes total. It's easily the most meaty game in the entire series on a story to gameplay ratio by a very significant margin.

Dog Tags and extra missions in MGS2 trump Peace Walker and all of it's side missions and base building.

Also the gameplay itself isn't very good. It's built around the PSP so the areas are super small and it's mind numbingly easy, some boss difficulty spikes aside.

Izick

Yeah this is pretty amazing. Highly probable that they were influenced by this. What's stuck in BB's head?

It's funny how you word that. It's supposed to be some kind of shrapnel, but the resemblance to some sort of horn (like a devil's horn) is what I get from it. I'm guessing it's there to convey just how Snake feels about himself at that point, and it might even be a visual cue for how we can tell this Snake apart from the other side Snake, or "John."

That most likely is Code Talker.

220px-Trail_of_tears_sign.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The Trail of Tears is a name given to the forced relocation and movement of Native American nations from southeastern parts of the United States following the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The removal included many members of the Cherokee, Muscogee (Creek), Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw nations, among others in the United States, from their homelands to Indian Territory in eastern sections of the present-day state of Oklahoma. The phrase originated from a description of the removal of the Choctaw Nation in 1831.

ChoctawCoders.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Choctaws in training in World War I for coded radio and telephone transmissions.

The Choctaws were the most famous group of Native Americans in both the Trail of Tears, and in the World Wars for code Talking.

If we were to assume that Code Talker was born sometime around the Trail of Tears, he's well over a hundred years old. He's likely a member of the Choctaws, that was a Code Talker in the World Wars, but still denied his true Homeland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker

EDIT: Also, if you just look at the clay head and the in-game model of Code Talker, they look pretty similar.

kojima1_25164.nphd.jpg

468px-Code.jpg

MGS3 is fun to get, and I never got it but I assume MGS4 would be fun in it's own way as well.

MGS4's Platinum is fine if you're a normal person who can be patient and just do a playthrough here and there over a few months. I got that sucker in about a week, though, and it just about killed me. It takes eight playthroughs, and if you get lucky you'll be able to skip all the cutscenes for seven of those. There's one Trophy that requires you to see all the flashbacks, which are those snippets of the old games you get by hammering the X button when you see the prompt during a cutscene, and I ended up having to watch every cutscene three or four times and just hammer that X button like a madman because I was missing one flashback out of over 200.

Gawd, I still have nightmares. Still, the only parts of it that are actually difficult are certain bits of the Big Boss Emblem run (non-lethal bike chase on Extreme with no continues, for example), and the rest of it can actually be pretty fun. One run through requires you to have a game clear time of over 35 hours, so I just explored the entire game, listened to every Codec conversation, downloaded all the podcasts and listened to them on the in-game iPod. It was great.

Izick

All of this stuff just reminds me how much I love Metal Gear...I mean what a fantastic series. It's one of the few that I've joyfully stuck with over the years and it really hasn't let me down. It's one of the few I'm willing (and interested) to research, because I know that the hints and subtle stuff are always there, given how intelligent Kojima is with this stuff.

Just fantastic.

All of this stuff just reminds me how much I love Metal Gear...I mean what a fantastic series. It's one of the few that I've joyfully stuck with over the years and it really hasn't let me down. It's one of the few I'm willing (and interested) to research, because I know that the hints and subtle stuff are always there, given how intelligent Kojima is with this stuff.

Just fantastic.

You and I both. I was 8 when MGS1 came out. I've stuck with the series ever since. Growing up, as I grew to understand more of the series' underlying themes, it only gets better.

If this doesn't show how much I love MGS, I'm not sure what else will:

164278_10151617856491285_1408094149_n.jpg

1c12fbfcb75611e2904e22000a1f928e_7.jpg

Larger version

I´m gonna post this here because i can´t make topics yet :/

"For this project we were using the PC to build the Fox Engine to create our game," Kojima explained in an interview at E3 today. "We're using the current-generation as a [guideline]. While we were developing on current-gen, next-gen came long. We're really trying to reach the peak of the current generation right now — 360, PS3 — and then see how much we can take it up for the next-generation."

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's E3 presentation was "more tuned to current generation," Kojima said, in terms of the game's models and textures.

"Once we start going into development for next-generation we're definitely looking for something better than [what] we have shown today," he said. Kojima added that the developer is aiming for a 60 frames per second refresh rate and a higher resolution for the game's Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4425442/next-gen-metal-gear-solid-5-smartphone-tablet-kojima

Izick

Batzi vindicated?

image.php

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587746

-----------------------

You and I both. I was 8 when MGS1 came out. I've stuck with the series ever since. Growing up, as I grew to understand more of the series' underlying themes, it only gets better.

If this doesn't show how much I love MGS, I'm not sure what else will:

164278_10151617856491285_1408094149_n.jpg

901081_10151632942931285_1520473332_o.jpg

EDIT: Shit, sorry for the big ass picture.

Big-Boss-Salute.jpg

I want to shake your hand. You are an awesome, awesome person my friend.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I watched the trailer a few times... looks like huge improvements to animation and gameplay, but the dialog and narration was pure gibberish for me. I have no idea what the fuck is going on. Hopefully we can skip cutscenes.

Big-Boss-Salute.jpg

I want to shake your hand. You are an awesome, awesome person my friend.

Much appreciated. I love this series to death, imperfections and all.

I watched the trailer a few times... looks like huge improvements to animation and gameplay, but the dialog and narration was pure gibberish for me. I have no idea what the fuck is going on. Hopefully we can skip cutscenes.

You want to skip the best part of what MGS... MGS? It's all about the story and cutscenes. Gameplay, in my mind, has always been the bonus. When I get excited for an MGS game, I tend to be hyped for the story/cutscenes more so than the gameplay.

I'd hate to see you play MGS4 with its 30+ min long cutscenes...
I've finished MGS4. It had long as fuck cutscenes but I don't really mind. What I do mind is that Peace Walker's story and background are told as mission briefing files and it's fucking tedious to go through. Also, the hand-drawn cutscenes are boring.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Much appreciated. I love this series to death, imperfections and all.

You want to skip the best part of what MGS... MGS? It's all about the story and cutscenes. Gameplay, in my mind, has always been the bonus. When I get excited for an MGS game, I tend to be hyped for the story/cutscenes more so than the gameplay.

I'm not gonna rip on the game(s) too much in here. I realize a lot of people really enjoy, revel in, the convoluted narrative. To each his own and all that...

I'm just very happy to see the animation finally make its way into the current century.

Well it was already established that Troy Baker was VA for Ocelot but still, more direct and confirm words never hurt...

o3sgUNh.png

I suppose it's alright that Patrick Zimmerman isn't doing Ocelots voice, although Ocelot does seem old enough for Zimmerman to do it. Ocelot was 19 in '64, so that makes him 39 in TPP. Yeah, Zimmerman should be voicing Ocelot for sure. Though, from what I heard in the trailer, Troy did pull off a good Ocelot voice, as if his voice is transitioning into what Zimmerman sounds like.

I suppose it's alright that Patrick Zimmerman isn't doing Ocelots voice, although Ocelot does seem old enough for Zimmerman to do it. Ocelot was 19 in '64, so that makes him 39 in TPP. Yeah, Zimmerman should be voicing Ocelot for sure. Though, from what I heard in the trailer, Troy did pull off a good Ocelot voice, as if his voice is transitioning into what Zimmerman sounds like.

Yes Troy's voice does seem like a voice transitioning into Zimmerman's voice so no problem there lol

Still
Hayter not there
.....lol

hatchx

Banned
Is this game really coming to PS3 and 360? If so, why?

If it doesn't come out by June, 2014, I bet those versions get cancelled.

Not to sound like a prick or anything and I am impressed with MGS enthusiasm and everything but Challenger >>>> Charger and more muscle in terms of that :p

None taken. I also love the Challenger. It's more of a pony car, though. It's built off the same frame of the Charger so they're quite similar in many ways.

And yes, the kicking to the side of Hayter is a massive disappointment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've finished MGS4. It had long as fuck cutscenes but what I don't really minnd. What I do mind is that Peace Walker's story and background are told as mission briefing files and it's fucking tedious to go through. Also, the hand-drawn cutscenes are boring.

I actually liked Peace Walker's comic cutscenes, and ironically would describe the gameplay as tedious and boring :lol

I didn't like Peace Walker much though. I'd probably rank it lower than MGS4, as at least MGS4's first two chapters played well. For most of Peace Walker I was bored and wanted it over.

MGSV looks like the right direction for the series. Open world should suit the stealth mechanics well, and unlike Peace Walker they wont need to water the mechanics down for shit hardware.

makeshiftnh

Neo Member

They won't get cancelled. They've barely started next-gen development. They're essentially trying to max out the current-gen capabilities first.

DrBo42

No chance in hell. They've already gone through the trouble of making it look the way it does on current gen. Not everyone is going to transition immediately. Guaranteed bank if they push it on every sku.

MGS4 MAY have long cutscenes and everything but for a linear game you sure did have a lot of choice and options to approach your destination/target.

And besides, it did a good fanservice by tying up all loose ends and giving everything a proper closure IMO

A tattoo on your cock.

That's not a bad idea. I should have REX's rail gun tattooed on my dick. My balls can have the radome tattooed on them.

I'm not sure if this was brought up (I'm sure it has been), but since the GZ trailer, I'm thinking there are no more infinite pockets since we can see Big Boss' gun slung on his side at all times. Same with the binocs. Looks like all the equipment is physically on his person now. Also, no exclamation point when he was spotted by that guard he CQC'd!

Izick

Really have to give it up to Batzi. Unless Kojima is lying, he was right all along.

image.php

That trailer was NOT running on next-gen consoles. That was either PS3 or something close to it. This means that Kojima Productions did a VERY good job and that the FOX Engine rocks!

What makes you say that?

How do you know that?

the graphics look exactly the same as the first trailer shown back at PAX and that trailer back then was running on a PC that had roughly the same specs as a PS3 and that's what Kojima said, I'm not making this up. That's NOT next-gen which is why it is FUCKING impressive.

I still don't get how you think that. Couldn't it just be that the versions look very close or something?

You might have to source that statement.

As far as I know its been running on a high end PC at every showing.

the same specs as a PS3 makes me very doubtful about your statement, you would have to struggle to create a PC that weak.

unless graphically both the PS3 and PS4 look the same, that was NOT next-gen bro. Go back and watch Ground Zeroes trailer and listen what Kojima had to say about the specs. Please watch the GZ trailer and see for yourself then watch Kojima's interview with Geoff at PAX and listen to what he said.

I kinda agree. It looks really good, but when you really look closely the horses dont look that great. Their tales don't look that great either. You see low poly count in places, but the lighting hides most of it. I'm still not sure if that trailer was current or next gen. I think that is a testament to how good the Fox engine really is. Cant wait to see the PS4 version! Day one!!

it looks like the Ground Zeroes' trailer and that was running on a PC with PS3 specs. So I say that was the PS3/360 version.

Translation error?

I can promise you what is being shown is impossible on current generation hardware.

There is almost no aliasing, the lighting, the texture quality, real shadows, and its running in 1080p. This looks like a PC game.

And I even took these images off of youtube and uploaded them to imgur which will impact the image quality.

Yep

No translation error bro. Kojima said it on multiple occasions. If other developers were lazy to develop good looking games and take advantage of the PS3 it doesn't mean Kojima is willing to do the same..we both know how Kojima works and how much of a perfectionist he is.

Most likely on a current-gen console or a PC locked at current-gen specs. That trailer looks like the Ground Zeroes trailer which was confirmed to be running on a PC with roughly the same specs as a PS3. People don't want to believe that for some fucking reason.

Wait, is this guy saying the red band trailer wasn't next-gen, but current gen

please say yes so I can laugh at the disillusions

It's easy not to. MGSV looks leagues ahead of what was capable on the 360/PS3, for the reasons Grief already pointed out some posts back.

So because he is a perfectionist he is able to get 1080p, real shadows, gorgeous textures, and an open world?

Highly doubtful.

In fact, that was the first time that we have heard that it wasn't running on a high-end PC. Every single time MGSV has been shown Kojima has come out and said its been running on a high-end PC, even at that PAX event. That's why I believe that to be some type of translation error.

http://www.gamesradar.com/metal-gea...ark-above-your-head-first-details-and-images/

WRONG!

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news...-gen-spec-hardware-official-screens-released/

Watch Geoff's interview with Kojima on GTTV. Please don't read random articles that mislead you. Many of the recent articles published on the internet claimed that Kiefer was voicing SOLID Snake. Pick a reliable source and I am telling you that Kojima said it himself in interviews!

Thank you. This trailer is absolutely FANTASTIC given the fact it is running on current-gen. The FOX Engine is indeed amazing. Excellent job Kojima!

No chance. I've seen a couple of these new MGS trailers now. 2 looked next gen, 1 looked current gen. This one looked next gen. Must be running on a higher spec PC, or something closer to the equivalent of a PS4/XO. No way it's a PS3 spec'd variant. Textures, level of AA and AF etc.

so basically you just don't want to believe it then..fine.

Can you please tell me which one looked current-gen? Because in my opinion they all looked the same.

This one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5t45tEPWQ

Textures, resolution, level of detail, draw distance, amount of aliasing, AF etc. Just looks closer to current gen compared to this new trailer.

yea? well many scenes from that trailer were featured in the E3 trailer which you are claiming to be next-gen..that's a contradiction unless Kojima mixed current-gen and next-gen footage together.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_GwC2hyFU&t=16m12s

It's on all the platforms. Doesn't matter if it shows the same scene. Obviously the same game is going to look and/or run worse on the current gen systems compared to the next gen versions. Why would they show a current gen version of the game at the XO's conference anyway? Doesn't make sense.

They never said it was running on Xbox One. They said it was coming on X1.

That's not next-gen.

image_294703_full.jpg

This is not the GDC trailer. This is a new E3 trailer. I am almost certain this is running on a higher spec PC, or should I say, a PC that isn't down specced to that of a PS3. Or correcting myself still, the same game but at higher settings to mimic what they think the next gen versions will look like.

Like I said earlier just a few posts up, the previous trailer looks noticeably inferior to this new trailer in many ways. It's like a PC game running medium settings at 720p or less with little AA/AF versus the same game running at high settings at 1080p with higher AA/AF.

Yes. That the GDC trailer looked current gen. That this new trailer looks next gen.

I only asked if anyone knew what this new trailer was running on. My guess is a similar PC, just at higher specs (not down specced) or settings.

Kind of a big stawman there.

The scenes that I was referring to as next-gen/PC level I highlighted earlier in the thread and had nothing to do with what was shown in the Phantom Pain trailer.

In fact, almost nothing from today's trailer was from the Phantom Pain one.

We agree with you on that.

So that part was current-gen right? Cause I think it's pretty fucking impressive and if they can achieve that on a current-gen console, they can pretty much do the E3 trailer on a current-gen console because it didn't look that different to me.

ibzUcBLTIokHg3.gif

No point linking me to a small GIF, I can post GIF's of many different current gen games that look next gen in GIF form (KZ2/3, GT5/6, GOW3 etc). Well you see the GDC trailer full screen running in HD, it looks current gen. Has all the tell tell signs. Lack of AA/AF being big ones, level of detail or resolution being others. This new trailer has none of them.

You're linking the same article over and over again. They got it all wrong. There was no loss in translation. Kojima said on numerous occasions that it was running on current gen specs on a PC. NOT high-end. I've seen better looking games on high-end PC.

Berksy

I remember my friend calling me to his home to help him pass a section of his new game. It was MGS 1 starting firstt elevator :lol

Has been hooked since.

Man i don't have PS3&XBox yet (mostly a handheld gamer). I think i will buy one for this and GTAV.

I'm worried it doesn't work in the world they've created this time. We'll see.

Well to be fair, I recall watching E3 and TGS gameplay videos of MGS4 where we saw the soldiers missing the exclamation mark, but they turned out to be in the game. Crossing my fingers.

This is pre-E3, but my cousin and I came up with some mildly interesting theories when watching the GZ/TPP trailers that were released before E3. Link

Yes Troy's voice does seem like a voice transitioning into Zimmerman's voice so no problem there lol

You can hear hints of an amazing Patrick Zimmerman impression in Baker's Ocelot, but he's intentionally playing him younger and less husky. People complain about Troy Baker being in every game, but the guy's earnt it by being a spectacular voice actor.

I'm not sure if this was brought up (I'm sure it has been), but since the GZ trailer, I'm thinking there are no more infinite pockets since we can see Big Boss' gun slung on his side at all times. Same with the binocs. Looks like all the equipment is physically on his person now.

While I love the slung rifle (such a nice change from other game characters magically sticking guns to their backs), I'm hoping we'll still have an MGS3/4-style backpack system. One of the things I really disliked about Peace Walker was the weapon and item limit for missions. It just isn't Metal Gear if you can't carry a dozen crazy gadgets and a rocket launcher with you all the time.

Well the Ocelot in MGS1 is pretty old and here he is still young enough to be at Big Boss's side, although Zimmerman could've played a younger Ocelot too but giving Baker a chance for this is fine by me and he is trying to make it work.

BTW any info on any recurring VAs for MGSV?

Top Bottom