• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V ships 5 million copies

I hope Konami's shareholders look at this, take as example, in the near future, when the company starts to underperform with it's current direction, and force a management shake up.

Is it just me, or is the word "Vocal" completely ruined now because of
the amount of times Code Talker says it in the tapes? I loved the game, but I swear, if I hear someone say "Vocal Cord Parasites" one more time...

The
Vocal Cord
Minority

A lot more underwhelming than I expected. I hope this game pulls in better numbers over the holiday season. It's almost guaranteed to do better than MGS4 but 5m shipped seems a bit low for such a huge game on every platform imaginable.

Aren't PC sales really damn impressing?
I mean, the platform was abandoned by the franchise for quite some time, and it didn't had a draconian DRM so people could freely pirate it.
Selling almost 1/5 out of 5 platforms is pretty damn good for PC, considering all that, isn't it?

Vagrant

These are really great sales. Especially considering the lack marketing to casual players (IE non-trade show focused stuff). Combine them with GZ, which would obviously be included with the budget since any budget would have to include development of Fox Engine, and I'm sure the game made bank. Even without the shitty micro-transactions. But I get why people may want to root against or downplay these sales because it doesn't appeal to what they want in an MGS game, Konami's garbage practices, or the unacceptable microtransaction shit.

Also, for the people saying the mission structure means this isn't a MGS game, last I checked Peace Walker, VR missions, Subsistence, and Ghost Babel all had parts with similar mission structure, complete with overly repetitive missions. Maybe a lot of people never played them or enjoyed them, favoring the story focused main campaigns, but they were there and before Ubisoft. This stuff just takes a more prominent and integrated role in MGSV.

PensOwl said:
Half that thread is people getting baited by that guy who said shooting guards in the crotch will result in more female soldiers. MGS2 and 3 absolutely have more easter eggs
MGS 2 & 3 are kings for easter eggs, but I'd say there's at least as many gameplay easter eggs in this one as MGS4. Probably more actually. MGS4 and PW were pretty barren for them.

Alo0oy

Banned
Published by a japanese company not named Nintendo (because Nintendo has 37 games that shipped more than 10M, it's an exception).

Final Fantasy 7 total shipment was 9.81 million units as December 2006 (of course many years after the original run the game was re-released digitally ).
To my best knowledge no Pro Evolution Soccer game has ever shipped more than 10 million units.

Only Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo 5 accomplished this feat.

If published, then UC3 is most likely at 10+ million based on extrapolated calculations, The Last of Us is likely sitting at 15 million or something like that, it was at 8 million right after its PS4 launch (August 2014) & before it started getting bundled with every PS4. Your GT & FF argument is just semantics, FF7 & a couple of GT games selling 200k units less than 10 million units is not an argument.

There aren't that many western published games that sell 10+ million either, GTA, CoD, FIFA, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead, Halo, Minecraft and?

EDIT: There's Destiny & Diablo as well I guess.

These are really great sales. Especially considering the lack marketing to casual players (IE non-trade show focused stuff). Combine them with GZ, which would obviously be included with the budget since any budget would have to include development of Fox Engine, and I'm sure the game made bank. Even without the shitty micro-transactions. But I get why people may want to root against or downplay these sales because it doesn't appeal to what they want in an MGS game, Konami's garbage practices, or the unacceptable microtransaction shit.

Also, for the people saying the mission structure means this isn't a MGS game, last I checked Peace Walker, VR missions, Subsistence, and Ghost Babel all had parts with similar mission structure, complete with overly repetitive missions. Maybe a lot of people never played them or enjoyed them, favoring the story focused main campaigns, but they were there and before Ubisoft. This stuff just takes a more prominent and integrated role in MGSV.

MGS 2 & 3 are kings for easter eggs, but I'd say there's at least as many gameplay easter eggs in this one as MGS4. Probably more actually. MGS4 and PW were pretty barren for them.

Lol no. MGS4 has a shit ton of them.
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4_secrets

kswiston

PC version is most likely heading for at least 2-3M LTD based on full priced sales, and eventual sales of similar AAA games. I expect the game to sell very well on Steam when it eventually hits $10 or less during sales in another year or two.

Vagrant

So you are going on wiki bullet points? Just so you know, the MGS2 section is missing easter eggs, the MGS4 section too. But I'll concede the point on MGS4 vs. MGS2 and 3. Arguing this further is going to devolve into semantics and scouring easter egg sources.

That said, the spirit of my point, is that MGSV has a similar amount of easter eggs as past games. And I think I could come up with 82 bullet points for MGSV easter eggs if that's your metric.

So you are going on wiki bullet points? Just so you know, the MGS2 section is missing easter eggs, the MGS4 section too. But I'll concede the point on MGS4 vs. MGS2 and 3. Arguing this further is going to devolve into semantics and scouring easter egg sources.

That said, the spirit of my point, is that MGSV has a similar amount of easter eggs as past games. And I think I could come up with 82 bullet points for MGSV easter eggs if that's your metric.

Haha I know, I'm just saying that MGS2 ~ MGS4 has a similar quantity of Easter Eggs.

But I strongly disagree on MGSV having as much.

Shadoken

If published, then UC3 is most likely at 10+ million based on extrapolated calculations, The Last of Us is likely sitting at 15 million or something like that, it was at 8 million right after its PS4 launch (August 2014) & before it started getting bundled with every PS4. Your GT & FF argument is just semantics, FF7 & a couple of GT games selling 200k units less than 10 million units is not an argument.

There aren't that many western published games that sell 10+ million either, GTA, CoD, FIFA, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead, Halo, Minecraft and?

Sonic 1. I guess maybe SF2 if you count both SNES and Genesis. But yea I suspect there are more that are close but not quite there like Pacman,Tekken3. Also Nintendo have like so many 10m+ sellers its probably more than all the other Japanese devs. Mario,Pokemon,Smash,Nintendogs,Wii.

Edit - Also dont forget some games in the west cross 10m only after counting sales of every SKU like GOTY Editions. If you start counting sales of titles like say MH4 AND MH4U then more titles pop up as well. But yea I agree that its just semantics , not really an arguement if your title is slightly away from that mark and another just barely manages to cross it.

kswiston

Sonic 1. I guess maybe SF2 if you count both SNES and Genesis. But yea I suspect there are more that are close but not quite there like Pacman,Tekken3. Also Nintendo have like so many 10m+ sellers its probably more than all the other Japanese devs. Mario,Pokemon,Smash,Nintendogs,Wii.

Edit - Also dont forget some games in the west cross 10m only after counting sales of every SKU like GOTY Editions. If you start counting sales of titles like say MH4 AND MH4U then more titles pop up as well. But yea I agree that its just semantics , not really an arguement if your title is slightly away from that mark and another just barely manages to cross it.

Does any version of Monster Hunter cross the 10M mark, even if you throw in the G versions? A single Monster Hunter game has most certainly not crossed the 10M mark before, even if you go ahead and throw in ports. The series does over 80% of its business in Japan.

As for western games, many titles have crossed 10M shipped besides those that have been listed. Even Watch Dogs hit 10M shipped.

Celine

I responded to Longdi post that implied that MGS5 not selling 10 million units means Japanese style games lost appeal when in reality the historical occurence of japanese games selling more than 10 million is pretty rare (excluding Nintendo of course).
No sematics at all.
Also please don't pull sales data out of thin air.

No 10 million is disappointment... Globally and the number of platforms it is available, guess Japanese style games don't appeal as much now.

Good catch, I forgot that one.
The various iteration of SF2 on SNES shipped more than 10M indeed if my memory is right.
Of course they were more than just GOTY editions (new fighters, different gameplay).

sörine

Banned
Does any version of Monster Hunter cross the 10M mark, even if you throw in the G versions? A single Monster Hunter game has most certainly not crossed the 10M mark before, even if you go ahead and throw in ports. The series does over 80% of its business in Japan.
MH3 is over 10m if you add up all 5 versions across all 5 consoles. 4.8m PSP + 2.6m 3DS + 1.9m Wii + the PS3/Wii U versions (400-500k+ each) + any budget reprints of all 5 games.

MH4 is getting close too. 4.1m + 3.9m G/U + budget reprints. If it gets more ports like 3 did over the years it'll probably pass 10m too. It's also growing in the west, 4U did about a third of it's sales in the west so far and it's still selling here.

Wagram

5 million is kind of disappointing considering the budget (including development and marketing costs). If a profit has been made by now it's still not very much. I find it interesting that it didn't sell more considering the overall hype for the product and it being on multiple consoles (MGS4 did so much on PS3 alone). If anything these sales will likely be used as ammunition by Konami to state that it makes sense to exit the console market and focus on mobile. Then again the amount that Kojima accomplished with that budget is laughable at best considering what other devs are doing with far less.

Pachinko

More than it deserves really. Game is a mixture of half baked ideas filled with cut and paste environments.

Was Kojima too ambitious ? did Konami make him snip away the more interesting ideas to make way for crap like FOB ? We'll never really know I guess.

I'm just super bitter towards Konami in general these days , I'd rather see them go bankrupt like THQ then persist making gambling machines.

---- and for the record ----
If all 5 million copies sold that = approximately 300 million $ in revenue but , once you give sony/ms their royalty cut of each sale as well as giving retailers a cut of each copy sold and minus the cost of printing physical copies , the actual profit is closer to 200 million $. The rumored cost of MGSV I've seen toted around was close to 90 million dollars so that means Konami will have made roughly 2 dollars for every dollar invested in the title. Putting that a different way , they made enough to pay for the game and have enough left over to make another one but there's no profit beyond that. If MGS4 ended up at 6 million copies , it actually made a bit more cash and as I recall it was less than half the budget of MGS5 which means Konami made enough money off of it to create 4-5 new games instead of just one. This is a high risk / low reward industry these days and every publisher is pining after the 10 million + title to make back that same level of profit. It's why Konami is going the pathetic and cowardly safe route of only making gambling products in the future - they cost next to nothing to make and the profitability is super high , in other words it's a fantastic safe investment.

Banzai

Sorry Konami, 1 Million of those sales will be stored online. Scared of losing them? Why not buy some convenient Sales Insurance for only 4,99$?

Whatever, good for KojiPro

Ratrat

sörine;183644309 said:
MH3 is over 10m if you add up all 5 versions across all 5 consoles. 4.8m PSP + 2.6m 3DS + 1.9m Wii + the PS3/Wii U versions (400-500k+ each) + any budget reprints of all 5 games.

MH4 is getting close too. 4.1m + 3.9m G/U + budget reprints. If it gets more ports like 3 did over the years it'll probably pass 10m too. It's also growing in the west, 4U did about a third of it's sales in the west so far and it's still selling here.
What? Portable 3rd and 3 Tri are not the same game.
Honestly, counting G versions is also questionable.

sörine

Banned
What? Portable 3rd and 3 Tri are not the same game.
Honestly, counting G versions is also questionable.
I was responding to someone suggesting combining all versions didn't meet 10 million. They're not the same exact game no, but if you combine all versions of each "generation" of MH then 3 makes it at least.

Thirding this. Probably the only MGS game I won't bother replaying. Story is balls, open world is empty wasteland, FOB stuff is scummy whale-hunting garbage. Either Kojima's past his prime or this series is, either way it's good that it's all over now.

Still better than the trash of a game MGS4

stryke

On more platforms than ever but it doesn't seem like it's expanded much. Still early days though, a few good sales will give it a considerable tail.

im not saying your logic isn't reasonable but Uc3 sold that well (which is damn good if it's true) why wouldn't they announce individual sales numbers then?

Wagram

Do we know the budget?

North of 80 million for development alone which doesn't include marketing costs. I would estimate in the realm of $110-125m. These sales put it either very close to break even or maybe slightly over in the black. Problem is this isn't a run away success for quite the investment.

kswiston

sörine;183647252 said:
I was responding to someone suggesting combining all versions didn't meet 10 million. They're not the same exact game no, but if you combine all versions of each "generation" of MH then 3 makes it at least.

You at least showed that Monster Hunter can only be considered a "10M series" if we treat it like Street Fighter 2 and bundle together all of the sort of related versions.

Nintendo is the only Japanese company putting out 10M+ titles on consoles/handhelds these days, and even they are only pushing out a fraction of what they did last gen. 10M for MGSV would be a huge accomplishment.

That said, I don't see the game hitting that mark. Maybe 8-9M eventually. Enough to top MGS 2.

Thirding this. Probably the only MGS game I won't bother replaying. Story is balls, open world is empty wasteland, FOB stuff is scummy whale-hunting garbage. Either Kojima's past his prime or this series is, either way it's good that it's all over now.

Makes me wonder how others were playing this game. I had a blast and it`s right up there with Bloodborne for my GOTY. The gameplay is so sublime when you experiment with all of the tools given to you. The amount of fun and detail in this game is off the charts. Story is typical mgs stuff but with weird pacing. FOB is super challenging and rewarding when taking down a 3 or 4 platform base without being seen and the open world allowed for some truly awesome, unscripted scenarios to play out during my time with the game.

I might not replay the story either but that`s because I have already got platinum and have over 200hrs put into the game. That`s way more hours than I put into PW, MGS 2 or MGS4. Having fun with FOB and MGO right now and can`t wait for the patch.

It seems like most people are upset that Kojima didn`t give them the fan service they wanted. Everyone had and idea of a game they wanted where sniper wolf, gray fox, liquid and solid all meet up and have tea. Kojima made a great game, people need to get over it.

Risev1

I find it funny that people are comparing MGSV'2 5 million sales in two months to MGS4's 6 million after 4 years of release and after the game has been discounted to like 10 bucks. MGSV will probably surpass 6 millions before the end of the year.

TheBoss1

People still treating the rumored $80 million budget as fact? Smh... Why don't we treat the rumor where they made a profit of over $115 million as fact while we're at it?

Makes me wonder how others were playing this game. I had a blast and it`s right up there with Bloodborne for my GOTY. The gameplay is so sublime when you experiment with all of the tools given to you. The amount of fun and detail in this game is off the charts. Story is typical mgs stuff but with weird pacing. FOB is super challenging and rewarding when taking down a 3 or 4 platform base without being seen and the open world allowed for some truly awesome, unscripted scenarios to play out during my time with the game.

I might not replay the story either but that`s because I have already got platinum and have over 200hrs put into the game. That`s way more hours than I put into PW, MGS 2 or MGS4. Having fun with FOB and MGO right now and can`t wait for the patch.

It seems like most people are upset that Kojima didn`t give them the fan service they wanted. Everyone had and idea of a game they wanted where sniper wolf, gray fox, liquid and solid all meet up and have tea. Kojima made a great game, people need to get over it.

Post of the month so far. Keep it up.

Top Bottom