• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V ships 5 million copies

Are they happy with that? Or did it not meet "expectations"?

The simple fact they are revealing the number means they are more than happy :D

I mean, this may be the last number we get for a console game from Konami. No numbers were given for PES 2016, of course.

V Million*

Mbar.gif
Mbar.gif
Mbar.gif
Mbar.gif
Mbar.gif

JayEH

Great. I know many people were disappointed with the game (mostly the plot) but it's still a great game. Just a horrible metal gear in the end.

HardRojo

I wonder what the platform split is. I still need to finish the game, just reached Chapter 2 some days ago but I haven't had much time to play.

Head.spawn

MGS4 lifetime sales as of 2012 is 6 million for comparison.

Hard to compare since MGS4 was tied to a single console.

Whereas MGS V is on 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4/PC.

Not only that, they have to clear 6 million sold before they even break even on TPP.

Aequitas

The Execs over at Konami really are fucking stupid.
At least I can rest easy knowing that they will most likely never make this much money on a AAA title ever again.

I-hate-u

The Witcher 3 hit 6m three months after its release. So it seems to be ahead of that.

Last update on Witcher was that it hit 6 million in its first 6 weeks. Batman was at "more than 5 million" earlier this month.

Thanks. Can't help but shake the feeling the game is somewhat underperforming compared to other games of the year. Surely, it's budget and dev time far outstrips that of Witcher and Batman.

Wonder if Konami was expecting Fallout numbers for this game.

Thanks. Can't help but shake the feeling the game is somewhat underperforming compared to other games of the year. Surely, it's budget and dev time far outstrips that of Witcher and Batman.

Wonder if Konami was expecting Fallout numbers for this game.

5m copies sold translates to about $175-200m to the publisher, depending on the mix of platform and digital/store. I'd guess the upper limit on the budget is $120m for MGS5, so its still way ahead on the profit curve and it'll probably sell another 3-4m in the next 12 months as well.

The witcher 3 by comparison cost $81m to make and market. GTA5 was something like $260m, but it also has made over 2 billion in profit so far.

Top Bottom