• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

teokrazia

Song spoiler after Mission 11

Ow, Kojima likes "Gloria"!
As Italian I'm pleased, even if I would have preferred the Tozzi version. :p

MAX PAYMENT

I think I'm halfway through the game. I'm on mission 23, I just unlocked access to building a FOB.

I'm AMAZED how little story there is. It seems like a private military and stealth simulator with MGS easter eggs thrown in.

Did all the trailers show every cutscene?
I feel fooled by the cinematic intros to ground zeroes and this game.

Stuff doesn't add up. I wonder if this game went through development hell, but still turned out great due to the open world and gameplay.

MOST of the missions I've played so far feel like the kind of objectives that could be user made if there was a mission editor. No cutscene, infiltrate an area (again) and eliminate these 2 dudes.

Why does big boss hardly speak? A few times it added weight to what he said, but what the hell was the point in getting Sutherland and making such a big deal about him? I do think he did better than hayter would have, but I'd prefer a vocal crappy hayter to a non vocal sutherland.

As a sort of direct sequel to my favorite MGS game, snake eater, things just don't add up. It didn't end up being a "what was intended" for MGS3 type of game.

Hell, it could've been what MGS4 intended, I think, if they had 2 factions on the map that fight each other. I think the AI is good enough that if they had groups of soldiers fighting each other it would be pretty cool.

I just hate that what we got isn't a MGS game. Sure it's absolutely fun as hell, but I just cannot believe that this game is the final product kojima intended on delivering.

Nameless

You just have to bring a buddy on a mission to bond, right? Or is there something else to do?

Maybe I'm just imagining this but it felt like DD leveled faster when I'd pet him after making discoveries, and Quiet leveled faster the more commands she was given/people she shot. *shrugs*

In any event, Side-ops are an easy way to level fast. Especially with Quiet given the amount of hell she's able to unleash on small-to-medium sized outposts immediately.

seph1roth

I have a question...but fIrst let me say something about the MGS saga, 7 years ago i played my first MGS game, it was MGS4, i bought it because of the shitty start of the PS3, without games that i like.

I bought it, and played it, ENJOYED IT LIKE HELL, at that moment it was one of my favourite games of all time...later, i bought the entire saga, played the other games and of course, enjoyed them like a boss, specially MGS3, wich is my favourite.

But i grew up, found new games to play, new "oldish" sagas to discover like Half Life, and currently MGS saga is a mid range saga for me, 7 years ago the story of MGS caught me, nowadays i think the abusive cinematics and the story of the saga are garbage because of Kojima, his abuse of fanservice, ridiculous plot twists, bullshit narrative and directing, etc, hate it.

I grew up, not only in age but mentally too, now i prefer a good gameplay without cinematics, everything playable, with good interactive narrative and scripts, like Portal series for example.

But i have to say something about the MGS saga, the gameplay part of the entire saga is awesome, specially MGS4 (destroyed by the amount of cinematics). I don't know nothing about MGS V story, and even i don't care about it, but i have the entire saga, even with all the garbage things, i must say that i have affection to MGS.

MGS V was not on my "buy list", but everyone says that this MGS is THE BEST in terms of gameplay, campaign, level design, and length BY FAR of the entire series, and even in videogames, as one of the most ambitious games of all time.

If this is true, i want to try it...this opinions are incredible for me, when i buy a game, i know i'm buying it because the game is good in gameplay, level design, and campaign...everything else is secondary for me.

Knowing that, do you recommend me MGS V?

GAF, I am in panic mode right now because of:

(started after the early 20's missions)

The disease on Mother Base is spreading, people are dying and are in the quaranteen zone. Lost a lot of levels. Is this shit scripted or will I lose more when I continue to do Side Ops ? I panicked and did 2 missions and I rescued the guy who told me the location from'Code Talker'

Can I continue doing Side-Ops or should I do the next mission ASAP?

grimmiq

no, because
not liking kids is different from being okay with them dying. i don't like kids but i wouldn't want one to die.

I went through 3 stages with this..

1:
I need to help the children, they're in a fucked up situation.
2:
I got them out of there, then they snuck out and went all the way back, can't watch them 24/7
3:
Fuck those kids, next time I see them I'm shooting them even though I'll get mission failed

About using Quiet in the field:
I'm not seeing any option to tell her to scout ahead or anything. There's one option to talk to her that does nothing and there's another option to kill a target, that's it. Also, she'll pick a sniping point and stay there no matter what so if I move out of her range she's absolutely useless because she doesn't follow me. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, I also can't make her stop humming over the radio. Right now DD is far more useful.

grimmiq

I'm not seeing any option to tell her to scout ahead or anything. There's one option to talk to her that does nothing and there's another option to kill a target, that's it. Also, she'll pick a sniping point and stay there no matter what so if I move out of her range she's absolutely useless because she doesn't follow me. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, I also can't make her stop humming over the radio. Right now DD is far more useful.

In your iDroid there, go right one tab over, should be an option to scout/attack.

sonto340

The disease on Mother Base is spreading, people are dying and are in the quaranteen zone. Lost a lot of levels. Is this shit scripted or will I lose more when I continue to do Side Ops ? I panicked and did 2 missions and I rescued the guy who told me the location from'Code Talker'

You either need to solve the 'puzzle'
of what's causing the disease and quarantine everyone that fits the bill
or finish the next few story missions literally right this second.

Chariot

Ho into the idroid. There is a buddy menu in the mission tab.

Nameless

iDroid --> Missions--> Buddy support.

From there you can command her to scout or attack from available vantage points.

AHA-Lambda

MAJOR SPOILER answer to the puzzle

Quarantine everyone that speaks Kikongo

seph1roth

Yes. Absolutely. It's different from other MGS games in storytelling. It's extremely gameplay-oriented.

There are less cinematics than other MGS games then? hate the constant interrupting of MGS4 because of cinematics.

The Mother Base system is similar to Peace Walker or is something different?

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah. This game is 99% good gameplay and 1% story.

I think Kojima took to heart what a lot of the Metal Gear nonsayera were saying (lol interactive movie, "cinematic", non-games...etc), which is why he made MGS5 the way it is now.

I wish he ignored them, they will never be satisfied with Metal Gear anyway. The Phantom Pain so far is my favorite Metal Gear, but I still miss the crazy cutscenes, codec conversations every minute, and the easter eggs found in the codecs (especially like the ones found in 3).

Kaz and ocelot: Aw shit boss this guy did some really evil stuff that effects you, your gonna one hear this!!So I put it on a tape for you, instead of telling you right now!

Ludens

Banned
dwswoG6.jpg

So I tried the method in the video, confident it doesn't work....and it worked. Really?
Really you can kill fucktons of enemies, with them shooting you, even losing a chopper, but all that don't count as kills and alarm triggered? Really?
With my method max I can get was completing the mission by 17 minutes with no kills, no alarms, no checkpoint loaded, no reflex...BUT you can complete the mission in around 7 minutes by basically killing the whole camp and this grant you a better score?

I still think the score system is seariously borked, no way kills you do by using the machinegun don't register as true kills just because you are in the chopper, same for the alerts.

Woodchipper

There are less cinematics than other MGS games then? hate the constant interrupting of MGS4 because of cinematics.

The Mother Base system is similar to Peace Walker or is something different?
After a while playing MGSV you're craving for a cutscene because of the often intense gameplay. At least I am. So far it's easily the most difficult MGS, and I'm not even half through the main story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you don't build anything there, nobody will invade (*knock on wood*) but until Kojima productions/Konami adequately explains WHAT you lose if someone invades (just the F.O.B./security team and stuff on the F.O.B.?) so people would stop being paranoid, I can't blame people for this totally forced upon them "OPTIONAL" mode they don't want being paranoid.

You can 100% definitely lose staff from your single player. I've been invaded while offline a few times and when I connect I have R+D or Support or Intel levels lower from the staff that got killed or extracted (mostly killed).

It shows you exactly what happens in text form and lists all the injuries. My security team are all E rank since I put any useful on stuff that cntributes directly to single player, yet I have Bs and As killed so they're coming from my other teams.

I only have a command deck on FOB.

I'm 100% sure can lose resources too (including that oh so needed fuel), just that a command deck has no room for containers, which an invader could fulton out.
This is what I'm afraid of, in terms of losing high level staff. The help message says that if someone invades and reaches the core, they capture the platform and associated staff - which I assume is randomly chosen from people in that section who are not under direct contract.

I imagine late in the game A++/S rank soldiers are common, but it still sounds like a pain. Especially when you can just lose stuff even if you are never online.

seph1roth

After a while playing MGSV you're craving for a cutscene because of the often intense gameplay. At least I am. So far it's easily the most difficult MGS, and I'm not even half through the main story.

Ok, everything i read is awesome...easy way to be my favourite MGS thanks to this changes, thx Kojima. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom