• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

BadWolf

I finished it.

Wow.

-snip-

That's like reading my own thoughts after finishing the game for the first time lol.

The Paz sequence really was well done. I was genuinely glad to see her there because she left such an impression on me in GZ. It was not only an excellent way of showing Venom's own phantom pain but her tapes also highlighted the difference between MSF and Diamond Dogs. How different everyone was back then, especially Miller, with them holding parties, concerts and in general acting more like a family. This is in direct contrast of DD, which is built on revenge.

What Kojima did with the ending is just brilliant, such a unique way of showing Big Boss's fall as a character. To me this was a lot more unique, memorable and thought provoking than all the obvious 'bad guy' stuff people expected. The ending left me thinking both about the game itself and the series as a whole, did not expect everything the flow and connect so well in the end.

I didn't think much of Miller after Peace Walker, he was cool but that was about it, but after MGSV he is one of my fave characters. His VA did an incredible job. Loved seeing characters like him, Huey, Mantis etc. in a whole new light after this game. Skull Face is also worth mentioning, an excellent villain. Very impressive how they were able to come up with a brand new character that factors so well into the series as a whole. Both his GZ and TPP tapes were really well done. Quiet is probably one of my fave female characters period, such a badass and the way her relationship was handled with Venom was just so memorable.

And agreed on Episode 51, there is a video of what it may have been on youtube (it was included in the special edition blu-ray). It gives a possibility of what happened with Eli but I'm glad that it isn't in the main game.

Also, I've mentioned this before but you probably scrolled by due to spoilers, but go back and listen to The Man Who Sold the World after now having finished the game, them lyrics.

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYEK_yvIWas[/quote]

Also worth mentioning how perfect of a name The Phantom Pain is for the game. The theme has been integrated so damn well into the characters and story.

just 68% completion, sometimes i can just ride on my horse and pick flowers and never get tired of it. :)

Yeah, the simple stuff feels so good in this game.

myco666

Okay, that seems doable.

I've only got Wicked Butterfly and Guilty Butterfly, I'm guessing neither of those are any use?

Also, is it possible to swap buddies mid-mission?

I assume Wicked Butterfly is fine also for 29. Sinful Butterfly rips the
Skulls apart real fast on Extreme. 3-4 shots and one is down.
So it might be overkill for normal version.

Hi guys I have a problem on the PC version.

Since an update, when I load my save, I just got an infinite loading screen. Does it mean that my save is definitively gone or there is some way to save it (no pun intended).

Thanks !

Batzi

Banned
Finally, the ending. I did end up calling the twist, down to actually who it was in the helicopter, which is pretty funny. With that said, it was executed spectacularly well, and ties the modern series to the MSX games better than any before it. The idea of Venom being used as a decoy in Outer Heaven while the real Big Boss builds Zanzibar Land is brilliant, since it retroactively explains why you fight Big Boss twice in the early games, as well as how Big Boss could be working with Foxhound and running Outer Heaven simultaneously. Additionally, it established Big Boss as a villain in the perfect way, in that he was a man pulling strings from the shadows as a means to achieve his vision and change the world, not caring who gets hurt. This establishes him as a villain better than any sequence of him shooting kids or some shit could every have, simply because it's believable and impacts on characters we already know, like Miller and Venom. Speaking of Miller, the justification of his breakup with Big Boss is so much more elegant than I expected, and I thought it really helped to sort of tie the series together.
I really felt the same way regarding the ending.

The flashback is what actually happened. Keep playing to find out more. Everytime you do a Wandering MB Soldier SideOp go check on Paz as you can give a new photo to her.
whattttt the, is Kojima is playing with me right now...? I will keep playing, as instructed. only now, I'm watching this game closely, Kojima.
iLtREACCRfjDA.gif

So this game had taken a nosedive for me from mission 32 onwards . Is it really just
the same missions repeated for the rest of the game ? Or do any more unique missions appear?

JJP12

So this game had taken a nosedive for me from mission 32 onwards . Is it really just
the same missions repeated for the rest of the game ? Or do any more unique missions appear?
Nah. You don't need to do any repeat missions. Just listen to the tapes, do some side ops and the new missions will become available.

BadWolf

Chapter 2 is the post game scenario and it does have its own story missions and tapes.

The harder versions of previous missions are entirely optional, you don't have to do them.

To progress the story:
- Listen to yellow tapes
- Do yellow story missions and yellow side ops
- If the above are done then do some regular side ops to unlock more yellow story missions

Gui_PT

I finished it.

Wow.

I would say over 90% of people knew that twist was coming.
It was so painfully obvious that it lost any impact it could've had. A real shame.

E:
I have no idea why there is a romance between Quiet and BB
Ocelot's character is sooooooo boring
I don't understand why they turned Huey into a psycho
The game was so rushed we don't even get a conclusion to Eli's part of the story. Imagine people who didn't see the cut mission on youtube, they have no idea what happened after he left motherbase with a giant metal gear and a kid with super powers!
There are so many details that conflict with what happens in the future games(but hey we're used to seeing Kojima do that)

The gameplay for this game is amazing but the story is the worst in the series imo and I'm sad this its final game.

BadWolf

I was in complete blackout too. I called the twist as soon as I finished GZ and I never guess these things right.

Lucky me then :p

But seriously, there was a thread on another forum and many ppl didn't guess or expect a twist. I'm usually on the guessing end so it felt good to be in the opposite camp this time.

Axial

Playing around with the FOB system a bit an was wondering if there is any way to check if the person we'd like to retaliate against is actually online or not? On PC btw.

Glad to see that we ended up being on the same page with regard to the ending, lol. I'm still turning everything over in my head;
I definitely agree with you that I'm glad that the Eli subplot didn't happen after mission 46, but I'm think I'd like to have seen it. I guess my main concern is how that whole interaction would feel given the player knowing Venmo's true identity and how that affects the relationship with Eli. I will say that the context sounds cool though; the idea of a sort of lord of the flies analogue is an interesting one, and it is one subtext that I would have liked to see explored more thoroughly.

With that small exception, Have to say that I'm incredibly satisfied though; opinions will differ of course, but if you're reading this, haven't finished the game, and are worried about the ending, push through!

BadWolf

Quiet meets Quiet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwD_73oR4ME&feature=youtu.be&t=56m19s

It was funny watching her geek out about being in the game, she also talks about mo-cap and working on the scenes.

Apparently KojiPro even scanned in the soles of her feet.

Glad to see that we ended up being on the same page with regard to the ending, lol. I'm still turning everything over in my head;
I definitely agree with you that I'm glad that the Eli subplot didn't happen after mission 46, but I'm think I'd like to have seen it. I guess my main concern is how that whole interaction would feel given the player knowing Venmo's true identity and how that affects the relationship with Eli. I will say that the context sounds cool though; the idea of a sort of lord of the flies analogue is an interesting one, and it is one subtext that I would have liked to see explored more thoroughly.

With that small exception, Have to say that I'm incredibly satisfied though; opinions will differ of course, but if you're reading this, haven't finished the game, and are worried about the ending, push through!

The thing that I liked was that the way they handled Eli and the kids didn't feel like a huge threat, even during the fights with him. Venom seemed clearly more powerful and able. I liked that they didn't do the whole thing of kids being too powerful, which the Japanese definitely tend to do. So I certainly didn't want Eli to be the final threat. When the game ended, in my mind I didn't really think it was that big a deal since Ocelot mentions trying to track them so I assumed they would just take care of them. I didn't need to see Diamond Dogs beating up some kids.

Mat-triX

Question about Quiet (Late Game Spoilers):
How do I lose her? I want to get the true ending, and I heard after beating Episode 43 she leaves, yet she's still there. I have 100% bond with her and I don't have the Butterfly Emblem on. I did every side op I have available, listen to all the tapes, beaten every mission up to Episode 47 (45 and 46 are not available to me).
What do I have to do? (if possible, no spoilers)

BadWolf

How do I lose her? I want to get the true ending, and I heard after beating Episode 43 she leaves, yet she's still there. I have 100% bond with her and I don't have the Butterfly Emblem on. I did every side op I have available, listen to all the tapes, beaten every mission up to Episode 47 (45 and 46 are not available to me).

Just keep playing, you'll know when that story thread starts happening.

If you already did all side ops and missions then redo some side ops or story missions to move the story forward. Normally I don't do all side ops available so have plenty that aren't done. If story hasn't moved forward (considering I did all the yellow stuff), I just do some side ops and new story missions pop up. In your case you'll probably have to redo some.

For me doing about 3 or so side ops after finishing episode 43 triggered a new story mission.

FFP2

Is there still no fix for Ground Zeroes not updating on Xbox if you have the digital version? I've already tried reinstalling but it still won't update.

Well technically
46 is the true ending and her leaving is just side stuff. Can't say for sure since I haven't done 45 yet myself.

Renewed

Because you trivialize stealth I guess.

Literally all I have to do is get these damn animals and none show up when I leave the AO. COME ON.

Ourobolus

Banned
So 5% left. S ranked everything, did all the objectives, all side ops, all key items/blueprints. Is that last 5% just the animals? Is there a good guide to getting them all?

Renewed

After about 150+ hours of playtime, I was invaded for the first time today when I coincidentally finished my FOB and built
a nuke.
They didn't last 10 minutes and I got a bunch of rewards.

Why are people annoyed with this? Even if they do successfully infiltrate, they're just getting some materials (while I'm capped on stuff like biological and minor metal), some staff among hundreds of S rank staff and I guess money but I'm at the 10 million cap.

Mat-triX

After about 150+ hours of playtime, I was invaded for the first time today when I coincidentally finished my FOB and built
a nuke.
They didn't last 10 minutes and I got a bunch of rewards.

Why are people annoyed with this? Even if they do successfully infiltrate, they're just getting some materials (while I'm capped on stuff like biological and minor metal), some staff among hundreds of S rank staff and I guess money but I'm at the 10 million cap.

Because the game is doing something negative to them that - they feel - is out of their control. I don't have feelings one way or another about it, but I get why people are upset about it.

and i guess it's an immersion thing too... not wanting a 'beep beep beep invasion detected' as you fly in to do Mission 28 or, you're feeling all uber, hero -like and then someone steals a shit load of your fuel. i think it's somewhat misplaced because you can just go offline while doing story missions and i think the asynchronous pvp actually does a good job of adding flavour and roleplay, not just immersion-breaking griefing/salt, to the story... but i can definitely understand the concern and it's probably fair in some ways.

Renewed

An emergency notification comes up? Looking at it more now, I see it requires PS+ on PS4 to deploy to defend.

I don't know if it'd tell me if someone is currently attacking me (since I wasn't playing at that moment) and give me the notification but then say "You need PS+, otherwise hope your defenses are good enough to take the intruder down." That'd be a bit more of a pain I think. Also if they're at a point in the game where they don't want to be losing more staff... I can think of the exact point in the game where that'd be a pain.

I was in 100% non blackout and I didn't guess the twist. I knew something was up with
Ishmael and the medic and stuff
but I didn't expect what happened to happen.

I was in 50% blackout, as in i watched the early trailers and than the lingua franca trailer, that's mostly it. And like you, Iknew kojima was going to fuck with us but did not see that ending coming AT ALL.

This is probably the most time I've put into a game since WoW or actually, maybe GTA V/Online but I'm still not sure I'd call it my GOTY.

I finally got to that mission (
) and had I not been spoiled of it I still wouldn't have been surprised
since I already suspected it from the opening with the way they integrated the avatar thing with you have to choose your face and put in your name and all that after waking up and then Eli not matching Big Boss when I and I'm sure everyone damn well know that was Little Liquid, never mind the bionic thing

Oh another patch... And uh, is there a new OT?

Fake Edit: Never mind see it, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126412

GeoGonzo

Playing around with the FOB system a bit an was wondering if there is any way to check if the person we'd like to retaliate against is actually online or not? On PC btw.
Well, there's a prompt to look at their steam profile, so you can look there to see if they're currently online. Then again Steam allows you to appear as offline if you want to, I think.

MrCow

ok i have the feeling that im done with the game...

i have seen the first ending credits of the first act i guess?! what?!
and the game just keeps dragging on - i love the gameplay but the story is barely even existant at this point and i feel that i've seen and done everything gameplay wise.

i'm at a point now where missions just seem to be the same ones that i've played before, only harder this time. this is not fun! or boring sidemissions..

should i keep on playing? i feel more like i'm forcing myself to play the game because it's metal gear and not because i'm enjoying it so much anymore - i want to know what happens but i don't want to play stupid easy missions anymore where i have to go to point a) and rescue a person or point b) and destroy this or that.

how much longer is the game at this point? maybe i can force myself to play the rest after i have probably but more than 50h into it so far.

i'm a huge fan of metal gear 1-4 .. please tell me it's worth it to continue

AniHawk

and the game just keeps dragging on - i love the gameplay but the story is barely even existant at this point and i feel that i've seen and done everything gameplay wise.

i'm at a point now where missions just seem to be the same ones that i've played before, only harder this time. this is not fun! or boring sidemissions..

should i keep on playing? i feel more like i'm forcing myself to play the game because it's metal gear and not because i'm enjoying it so much anymore - i want to know what happens but i don't want to play stupid easy missions anymore where i have to go to point a) and rescue a person or point b) and destroy this or that.

how much longer is the game at this point? maybe i can force myself to play the rest after i have probably but more than 50h into it so far.

i don't think you need to replay those older missions. just do the new ones and try out side ops (especially the yellow side ops). there isn't a lot of story left to be honest. there are about two more 'endings' depending how far you go.

You can skip repeat missions, just do yellow missions, yellow side ops, and occasionally do side ops to "pass time". Listen to yellow marked cassette tapes as well.

MrCow

You can skip repeat missions, just do yellow missions, yellow side ops, and occasionally do side ops to "pass time". Listen to yellow marked cassette tapes as well.

how much play time would
act 2
have? is the game still the same lenght as
act 1?
or even more?

Top Bottom