• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date nearing announcement

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
i1SnHwwpi7ZPN.gif
BPgdwN0.gif

Can I board the Hype Gear as well? Pretty please!

Well there is Destination Playstation in between too. So either Late January, Late February or Mid-March we'll be getting new trailer + release date announcement.

it was at Destination Playstation that the release of MGS4 got leaked last time before Kojipro officially announced it.

I still remember the thread that a Gaffer created just to let us know that his brother was at this event and he snuck out of the conference room to the bathroom just to call him (or text him) that the release date was just been given, oh the memories, they hype, good times were had.

CloudNein

Is there actually anything out there stating it'll be releasing on PC day of?

It reminds me of a FFXV situation. This is a system seller game. It wouldn't be wise to release it on PC until well after it comes out on consoles. Need to pull at peoples' patience and get them to get the console version because they can't hang out the PC wait.

I don't even have a PS4 yet - I'm waiting for the inevitable MGSV PS4 bundle [I did the same thing with MGS4].

The only problem with this, is the release date. I am also getting Batman Arkham Knight and that releases June 2nd. If MGSV releases after that date, I won't have the PS4 to play Batman Arkham Knight!

So MGSV simply has to release prior to Batman Arkham Knight or else ....*gulp*.... I'll have to wait to play Batman Arkham Knight.

Oh the horror!

RK9039

Is there actually anything out there stating it'll be releasing on PC day of?

It reminds me of a FFXV situation. This is a system seller game. It wouldn't be wise to release it on PC until well after it comes out on consoles. Need to pull at peoples' patience and get them to get the console version because they can't hang out the PC wait.

No, chances are the PC version will come later. I hope it comes out on the same day but it probably won't.

I have a PS4 and PS3 but I'm only going to buy the PC version. I can wait for the best version so it's okay.

Verendus

Banned
I don't even have a PS4 yet - I'm waiting for the inevitable MGSV PS4 bundle [I did the same thing with MGS4].

The only problem with this, is the release date. I am also getting Batman Arkham Knight and that releases June 2nd. If MGSV releases after that date, I won't have the PS4 to play Batman Arkham Knight!

So MGSV simply has to release prior to Batman Arkham Knight or else ....*gulp*.... I'll have to wait to play Batman Arkham Knight.

Oh the horror!
Why not just buy the Batman PS4 bundle in that case? If you're going to buy both games anyway, isn't it the same thing? Since you obviously love Bruce Wayne as much as MGS.

Skullface

No, chances are the PC version will come later. I hope it comes out on the same day but it probably won't.

I have a PS4 and PS3 but I'm only going to buy the PC version. I can wait for the best version so it's okay.

You say that now, but when everyone starts harping about how fantastic this game is, and you have a 9 month wait ahead of you... I see you breaking while weak moment in a Target walking past passed the display.

UnrealEck

I'll be waiting for the PC release. Hopefully it's the same date and we don't get screwed from some sort of deal or intentions of milking double dippers
logo-studio-rockstar_north.gif
. Surely the game won't take much extra time to finish on PC.

Batzi

Banned

Oh the horror!

Where does your loyalty lie? Which game is more important to you? Careful with what you write next, cause I'll keep an eye on you.

Oh the horror!

Where does your loyalty lie? Which game is more important to you? Careful with what you write next, cause I'll keep an eye on you.

You done fucked up now, Junior.

Why not just buy the Batman PS4 bundle in that case? If you're going to buy both games anyway, isn't it the same thing? Since you obviously love Bruce Wayne as much as MGS.

Because I obsessively collect everything Metal Gear and I don't want to have to buy another PS4 just for the bundle set.

RK9039

You say that now, but when everyone starts harping about how fantastic this game is, and you have a 9 month wait ahead of you... I see you breaking while weak moment in a Target walking past passed the display.

Maybe, but there are quite a few great games coming around the same time as well so waiting won't be that hard.

Oh, I'm a Metal Gear fan first and foremost!

If I had to never play another Batman game again just to play MGSV once - it would be a permanent goodbye to Batman!

Spaghetti

absolutely no chance of the wait, if there even is a wait, being this long

tpp getting updated occasionally on steamdb gives me hope for a day and date release.

Skullface

absolutely no chance of the wait, if there even is a wait, being this long

tpp getting updated occasionally on steamdb gives me hope for a day and date release.

I say 9 months because that's how long the wait was for Ground Zeroes. Not to mention that it's the commonplace for PC ports of console games. Look at GTAV for instance.

RK9039

I say 9 months because that's how long the wait was for Ground Zeroes. Not to mention that it's the commonplace for PC ports of console games. Look at GTAV for instance.

Not always, Dark Souls 2 was like less than two months. GTAV wasn't even announced for PC when the console versions came out, MGSV on the other hand was always hinted at since 2012/2013 (actually even before the GZ reveal) until it was official during Gamescom last year.

JayEH

I guarantee everyone in this thread will at least triple dip so there's no need to argue when the PC version comes out.

GrayChild

If they are doing bugtesting now, it should be close to being done yes?

The usual AAA studio development process:

Development > Alpha testing > Release > Day 1 performance patch > Beta testing > QA> > Patch (usually 3-6 months after release date).

KojiPro:

Development > Testing > Kojima playing the game hundreds of times > Multiple changes to the finished game > More extensive tests > Release

So not yet.

Spaghetti

ehhh, ground zeroes isn't really setting the rule on this. tpp was in the steam database before gz was, and we know gz was kind of, well, a rushed out product for konami to start getting some revenue in from their investment. the decision to have mgsv on pc was probably already made before the decision to sell gz separately came about.

ground zeroes was already going to be on four platforms at the march launch and was diverting resources from tpp, so i'm not surprised it took so long to come to pc, especially considering that version wasn't even announced until late august. actually, if we take it from that gamescom announcement until the release, it only took gz around four months to come out, and even then i'm pretty sure that was strategically timed to not interfere in tpp development/the tgs showing and to hit a release window for the winter steam sale.

gtav is a weird case in of itself too, and not really applicable.

tariniel

I always find announcements of announcements amusing. That said I really hope the PC version launches alongside the console versions, if we have to wait a long time like GTA V I'm going lose my god damned mind. I don't want to have to buy a PS4.

Skullface

Wow, is this right? The translation in Yong's video suggested that bug testing is finished, that Kojima played the game from start to finish, and that he's mostly requesting fine tuning. Plox.

Throwing my hat in the "November" pile.

Hey! Read my post! Watch Yong's video! Change your stance!

...No more Grey Fox?

Top Bottom