• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

iMax

Can't seem to progress much on PS4. Keep hitting "Game Installing Data" screens every time a checkpoint hits. Only way to bypass is by rebooting the game.

Marvel

could never
Man!

Do staff on Mother Base notice/react if you're dirty? And also is the dirt/blood dynamic, like Bloodborne?

They haven't reacted to me yet, I only had a little blood on me and I wasn't out in the field long to get stinky. But I know they do if you leave it too long.

Blood/dirt seems dynamic to me depending on what you do and how often you're shot (I'm bad so I got sprayed a little when I GALLOPED at some soldiers by mistake instead of hiding on D-Horse lol)

Gaz_RB

tumblr_mlpb4wV0TU1rcka0bo1_400.gif

Ludens

Banned
Can't seem to progress much on PS4. Keep hitting "Game Installing Data" screens every time a checkpoint hits. Only way to bypass is by rebooting the game.

Is this a known bug? It seems very strange, to me. Are you into first part of the game? I know PS4 titles install some files to be "ready to boot", but meanwhile they keep installing data when you play. Did you try to leave your bluray one for a while in the dashboard, just to see if all data will install?

SomTervo

Probably best rebooting and leaving the console for 10-15 minutes.

Remember if you press the Options button and look at 'Information' (I think that's the right thing) it will tell you exactly how much of the game has been installed.

They haven't reacted to me yet, I only had a little blood on me and I wasn't out in the field long to get stinky. But I know they do if you leave it too long.

Blood/dirt seems dynamic to me depending on what you do and how often you're shot (I'm bad so I got sprayed a little when I GALLOPED at some soldiers by mistake instead of hiding on D-Horse lol)

Bonafide badass.

Except for the galloping thing. Get your shit together, Marvel-man!

Shari

I didnt know you guys wanted impressions in here, I'm 5 hours in:

GMP ain't a problem after a short (very short) while, resources is where is at.

Fulton is the shit.

Prologue is the most MG-Style part of the first few hours, with plenty of cutscenes and such, afterwards there's a fuckton of gameplay coming along as the story begins to unfold.

Walking through MB is awesome, but u don't have any reason to go there except to rest.

Air drops are super useful to avoid having to back to helicopter when u run out of ammo/fulton.

There are more developpments options I can count. Just in the weapons/items sections I got a notification circle that says 99 (unseen).

Personalization of MB, buddys, snake, helicopter.

Didn't see yet the combat deployment part of the game but im fultoning every living thing in anticipation.

I will answer any gameplay question if you guys have any, no story stuff.

Ricky_R

Man!

Do staff on Mother Base notice/react if you're dirty? And also is the dirt/blood dynamic, like Bloodborne?

There was a video showing soldiers being bothered by the smell. It wa spart of a cut-scene though, I think. Not sure if NPCs react to BB's odor while roaming mother base.

Would be cool to know if enemies react to the smell as well when you get too close in combat.

El Jaffe

Has anyone who pre-ordered the Collector's Edition from Best Buy actually had it ship yet? I'm debating canceling it and just picking up the standard edition at the store when it comes out because Id rather not have to wait an extra week or two for it to arrive at my house.

Shari

Man!

No reactions, have been there half covered in blood, they are always so happy to see you and morale is raised when you stop in front of them so they can salute you. Boosting morale helps them being perform better on the task given.

Edit: It kinda bothers me I cant salute back.

They also gather up around LZ when you're going to depart and they salute you until you're gone.

They're so nice.

iMax

Is this a known bug? It seems very strange, to me. Are you into first part of the game? I know PS4 titles install some files to be "ready to boot", but meanwhile they keep installing data when you play. Did you try to leave your bluray one for a while in the dashboard, just to see if all data will install?

Happened once when I died in the hospital scene; force quit fixed it. Then again at the end of the level.

Probably best rebooting and leaving the console for 10-15 minutes.

Remember if you press the Options button and look at 'Information' (I think that's the right thing) it will tell you exactly how much of the game has been installed.

Yeah, the full amount is listed (around 26GB IIRC) there, and under Data Management. I don't know if that's actually the amount that's been installed, or rather just the amount of space allotted for installation.

SomTervo

Fulton is the shit.

Prologue is the most MG-Style part of the first few hours, with plenty of cutscenes and such, afterwards there's a fuckton of gameplay coming along as the story begins to unfold.

Walking through MB is awesome, but u don't have any reason to go there except to rest.

Air drops are super useful to avoid having to back to helicopter when u run out of ammo/fulton.

There are more developpments options I can count. Just in the weapons/items sections I got a notification circle that says 99 (unseen).

Didn't see yet the combat deployment part of the game but im fultoning every living thing in anticipation.

No reactions, have been there half covered in blood, they are always so happy to see you and morale is raised when you stop in front of them so they can salute you. Boosting morale helps them being perform better on the task given.

Edit: It kinda bothers me I cant salute back.

They also gather up around LZ when you're going to depart and they salute you until you're gone.

They're so nice.

There was a video showing soldiers being bothered by the smell. It wa spart of a cut-scene though, I think. Not sure if NPCs react to BB's odor while roaming mother base.

Would be cool to know if enemies react to the smell as well when you get too close in combat.

Awesome, thanks for all the impressions/info!

Isn't there quite an incentive to explore Mother Base for diamonds though? I remember in the MB gameplay video they showed loads of diamonds scattered across it.

Also – just a hunch, no spoilers here – but I am so certain that, like in XCOM, later in the game Mother Base will be attacked and it will become a level.

Chariot

Fulton is the shit.

2XGUzFA.gif

Neff

So, what, at least 6 people ITT have The Phantom Pain now, in hand?

Post goddamn impressions!!!

Taking a desperately-needed pitstop for food after a 6-hour binge (I was hungry hours ago but I couldn't stop playing), so while I stuff my face with pasta before heading back in, here's my summary of the 3% I've sampled of The Phantom Pain so far:

- Story wise, it does and doesn't feel like a Kojima title, in all the right ways, and I say that as a fan. The mandatory, loquacious exposition has been trimmed significantly during both cutscenes and missions, and it's surprisingly light on plot up front. But read between the lines and you can still see the thinking of the man who gave us Metal Gear/Snatcher/Policenauts. Plenty of playful back-and-forth between a great storyteller and the player.

- Peace Walker is still fresh in my head after finishing it this week, and it's fair to say that TPP's structure and ability-building follows it closely. But the actual gameplay stuff is light years ahead, not only of Peace Walker, but anything in the MGS series. It's a game you already know very well, but expanded on *significantly*. For a series as old as Metal Gear, to see it as fresh and new as it's presented here is wonderful. And by god, it's fun.

- Fox engine means business. I'm playing on PS4 and I've done the cliche'd thing where I wiggle the stick around to see if I'm still controlling realtime graphics (during the
escape from the hospital
), because it looks that good.

- There is so. Much. To. Do. It's mind-boggling. And awesome. It's MASSIVE.

See you in Afghanistan.

Shari

Isn't there quite an incentive to explore Mother Base for diamonds though? I remember in the MB gameplay video they showed loads of diamonds scattered across it.

Also – just a hunch, no spoilers here – but I am so certain that, like in XCOM, later in the game Mother Base will be attacked and it will become a level.

Didn't check anything in there because, at least at the first level where Im at, the place is veery small and it doesn't seem to contain anything at all. Progression is going to be so nice in there.

Also I wouldnt bother looking specifically for diamonds, I've found 3 just by doing missions and they work 100k GMP each, waaay too much money for the moment.

The blocking points for me atm are teams level (not enough R&D or not enough Support team) or resources (metal, fire, etc). GMP is really easy to come by and you dont burn too much as a fulton extraction is only 300 GMP.

Marvel

could never
Make sure you are free and uninterupted for some time as you may not pause, like my dong the intro is long and incredible.

holy shit I just accidentally entered the spoiler thread, thank god they were just talking about spraying queit with a water gun and nothing important.

seriously though, it would be cool if spoiler threads could be marked red somehow.

Is anyone having the 'installing game data' thing that the timer isn't moving after you retry a section? I would ask in the other thread but spoilers

Shari

@Shari, is stealth more fun now? Because i found stealth in GZ like trial and error than tactics

Is not better per se, you have so many more tools at your disposal that you should be able to find your way through the levels according how u want to play.

Its not easy so if u want no alerts u need planification and binoculars :)

Top Bottom