• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

first impression of the game:

1. The intro is fucking fantastic.

2. This is the best looking open world game and it's running at 60 FPS. Textures looks amazing (hugely improved over Ground Zeroes), the draw distance is great, the lighting is gorgeous , animation is top notch, and characters models are finely detailed. Really impressed by how good the game looks.

3. Atmosphere is great and the music really is on point.

4. Gameplay is intense and you really feel like a ninja, the open areas really keeps you on the edge of your seat .

I have only completed the intro and progressing in the first mission, still didn't see mother base stuff. This game is delivering all I have wanted from a next gen MGS game so far.

HNNNNFFFF I NEED THIS GAME

Arun1910

Intro is amazing, I suggest making sure no one interrupts that beauty. If you have kids, send them to bed early, I don't care if its 3pm. You owe it to yourself.

Shari

Only disappointment so far

To be fair with this, I think it's much better than usual openings for the franchise.

The only real disappointment there is to be had with this game is that we knew so much about it before playing, pretty much like every game on the franchise and MGS4 being the biggest offender.

Intro is amazing, I suggest making sure no one interrupts that beauty. If you have kids, send them to bed early, I don't care if its 3pm. You owe it to yourself.

Agreed.

The only real disappointment there is to be had with this game is that we knew so much about it before playing, pretty much like every game on the franchise and MGS4 being the biggest offender.

They really did show off a lot from the game. It all looks great but I wish now I had tried to avoid watching all the gameplay/trailers that I did. Just to go in a bit more fresh.

Talax

The controls are so much better than GZ, especially cqc stuff. Map is easier to use.

And that fucking intro was orgasmic Kojima stuff.

Loving it so far!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol Kojima pls

2015-08-2719_22_02-on17ats.png

Gurish

first impression of the game:

1. The intro is fucking fantastic.

2. This is the best looking open world game and it's running at 60 FPS. Textures looks amazing (hugely improved over Ground Zeroes), the draw distance is great, the lighting is gorgeous , animation is top notch, and characters models are finely detailed. Really impressed by how good the game looks.

3. Atmosphere is great and the music really is on point.

4. Gameplay is intense and you really feel like a ninja, the open areas really keeps you on the edge of your seat .

I have only completed the intro and progressing in the first mission, still didn't see mother base stuff. This game is delivering all I have wanted from a next gen MGS game so far.
About 2, Do you really believe it looks better than Batman? No way man!

Great impressions, keep them up, can't wait, till I'll get my hands on it, hopefully soon enough (on a tight gaming budget here ;))

Welp my CE preorder from best buy was changed to back ordered, so I cancelled it. Maybe now I can find it early somewhere...lol yeah right.

Anyone in the Austin TX area find it early, you let me know.

Sn4ke_911

About 2, Do you really believe it looks better than Batman? No way man!

Great impressions, keep them up, can't wait, till I'll get my hands on it, hopefully soon enough (on a tight gaming budget here ;))

If you consider everything AK doesn't look that good, no day & night cycle, no weather system, not 60fps etc. it's always night and always raining, i wasn't really that impressed with Arkham Knight, sure it looks good but overall if you think about it MGSV looks better imo.

Gurish

If you consider everything AK doesn't look that good, no day & night cycle, no weather system etc. it's always night and always raining, i wasn't really that impressed with Arkham Knight, sure it looks good but overall if you think about it MGSV looks better imo.
Yea it's pretty limited but it looks amazing, I guess because it is easier with only one setting (night and rain) but hey, it's Batman, it's not their fault.

Batman's model is so incredible it looks better than almost all linear games, I watch some screens i took almost every day because it looks so good.

Sn4ke_911

Yea it's pretty limited but it looks amazing, I guess because it is easier with only one setting (night and rain) but hey, it's Batman, it's not their fault.

Batman's model is so incredible it looks better than almost all linear games, I watch some screens i took almost every day because it looks so good.

Yes i agree, Batman's model looks amazing but when he talks to someone he acts like a robot, like the facial expressions are really bad.

Raxious

Those Dutchies who ordered from AllYourGames, I just got an email that my order has been shipped so I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow :D

Popsickles

Ahhh yeah The Game Collection has shipped my copy today. Dare I get excited for a delivery tomorrow or Saturday. Knowing my luck it will not get to me till Tuesday(Monday is bank holiday)

If you consider everything AK doesn't look that good, no day & night cycle, no weather system, not 60fps etc. it's always night and always raining, i wasn't really that impressed with Arkham Knight, sure it looks good but overall if you think about it MGSV looks better imo.

This. Dont get me wrong, batman looks great because of the wet shadders and rain, but it doesn't have day and night cycle and all of the graphics features mgs v have and it isnt running at 60 fps like mgs v. Also, mgs v has better facial animation and better textures.

JawzPause

The research development and motherbase stuff is so overwhelming, not in a bad way ofcourse but i just feel like there's so much to do in this game

This really is the perfect gif for how I'm feeling right now.

Ughhhhh. Oh well I still have lots of prisoners to extract in GZ hopefully that keeps me busy until Tuesday.

That was me last night, just pounding Ground Zeroes for a while until I caught everyone.

Most places I know of up here are saying they're getting it tomorrow, but with GZ save transfers seemingly disabled until launch, there's still time!

kubus

Those Dutchies who ordered from AllYourGames, I just got an email that my order has been shipped so I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow :D
Aaaahh :(
I don't have a reply yet to my email... And no shipment confirmation yet either.

My heart can't take this!

edit: Order status is "In de wacht" now. It was something else before, something like "Wachten op verzending" or something. I hope this is a good thing ;~;.
edit2: Order status is now "Sent"!! YEAAAA!! Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, when the boyfriend has work! Bwahahahaha. Thanks again for the tip!

Gurish

Yes i agree, Batman's model looks amazing but when he talks to someone he acts like a robot, like the facial expressions are really bad.
Yea I agree, but hey open world, most of them suck in that area, The Witcher 3 is even worse, have to admit MGS5 seems to be much better with facial animations, can't argue with that.

Senoculum

The research development and motherbase stuff is so overwhelming, not in a bad way ofcourse but i just feel like there's so much to do in this game

I was pretty overwhelmed by GTAV - never beat it. Poured hours in the multiplayer, and I still couldn't memorize the map. Same with Skyrim.

I'm of the belief that this game is much more streamlined. It's hard enough as it is to keep playing these huge and huge games, but the fact that this game has a clear beginning, middle, and end says it all. It's "open" but I feel like it will be rewarding. I'm of the mind that it's more like an RPG - where 20 hours in and there's a tutorial on how to do something new. I'm sure it won't be any more difficult than MGS3 or 4. And those games had complex camos, secrets, and alternate cutscenes.

Top Bottom