• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Heh just had to say "Words That Kill" is such a brilliant tagline.

Spoilers? I'm assuming spoilers.

Its been a long time since i've seen a Yahtzee review but decided to watch this. Yeah he pretty much starts out with Ground Zeroes spoilers and I closed the window because it felt like it was going that way. Will watch when I finish the game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Game is fun, an easy 7/10 for me based on mechanics and presentation. Easily the worst Metal Gear Solid game I've ever played, and I absolutely hated the "open-world". It's so pointless, I'd have easily preferred better, higher quality levels like GZ was. It had some cool infiltration missions, the Temple in Afghanistan, the OKB0 Base, the Mansion, the Oil Refinery were all very fun to infiltrate. But it's filled with so much filler, and yeah you can experiment around on repeat playthroughs if you want, and there is some merit to it, but it's still the same missions. And the Rescue the Wandering Soldier/Captured Soldier/Blow up the Tank missions get old to me after you've done it the 8th time and no amount of finely tuned mechanics can change that. It's simply repetitive in the same way Ubisoft open world games are. The music is the most understated and least impactful of all the MGS and the less we talk about the story(or lack thereof) the better. It's an unfinished over-promised and overhyped fantastic stealth game. It's absolutely worth playing, but it's not my GOTY or worthy of all it's perfect scores. 10/10 may not mean a perfect game, but it should mean a game that is a complete package. This game falls short of so many things in comparison to it's previous titles. Worth a 1 week rental easily. I DO look forward to what the mod community will do with it though.

1er tigre

The metascore is slowly decreasing as more reviews go online. Now it's 93 with 55 reviews.

( for comparison purpose the witcher 3 is 92 based on 79 critics and bloodborne is also 92 based on 100 reviews).

Ridesh

Banned
The metascore is slowly decreasing as more reviews go online. Now it's 93 with 55 reviews.

( for comparison purpose the witcher 3 is 92 based on 79 critics and bloodborne is also 92 based on 100 reviews).

Well, this game doesn't deserve a higher metascore than Bloodborne or Witcher 3.

Honestly, i'm glad someone had the balls to call MGS5 out for the stuff it does wrong.

69 may be a bit too low, but 90+? Yeah - nope.

69 is just to show as the only yellow review and get more clicks. 70 may have come unnoticed and have the same effect on "calling the game out".

Anyway, I'm prepared to be full of joy when the salt begins with the GOTYs MGSV will have.

Better late than never

Giant Bomb: 5/5

In the same vein, MGSV's narrative structure is quite unlike anything I've seen in any other big-budget game, with the possible exception of other Metal Gear Solid games. This is the series that gave us the Raiden bait-and-switch, so it shouldn't be surprising to say that there are tremendously unconventional elements in the way this game is laid out, how the story is presented, and how missions connect to one another. The game plays on your expectations and perceptions in a handful of ways; some of those moments struck me as brilliant, while others felt unearned by the story and fell a little flat for me. It's impossible to objectively say whether all this is good or bad, since the way you react to these things will entirely come down to your own personal taste and interpretation. Discovering that stuff for yourself is most of the fun, so I'll leave it there, but, just, look. The game is amazing in a lot of strange and unusual ways that most games just plain aren't.
Oh I'm not so sure about that.

Reebot

69 is just to show as the only yellow review and get more clicks. 70 may have come unnoticed and have the same effect on "calling the game out".

Anyway, I'm prepared to be full of joy when the salt begins with the GOTYs MGSV will have.

The only thing sadder than being angry over reviews is taking second hand joy in said anger.

Deserves it far more than MGS4 ever did.

synce

I think the scores might be a little different if the reviewers played the game all the way through. At first it was amazing but my opinion of the game only went down the more I played.

Honestly, i'm glad someone had the balls to call MGS5 out for the stuff it does wrong.

haven't you considered the possibility that reviewers have acknowledged mgsv's flaws yet still like the game enough to give it a very high score

I don't think it's a tough call at all to say that the narrative fails, especially with all the cut content revealed.

As a critic, your responsibility is to review what is present in the material itself. Factoring knowledge of any cut content into your review is comparing a game to a version that does not actually exist.

Nameless

Balls? He spends almost all of his review arguing with, if not pouting about the game's changes in direction, constantly harping about what the series has done in the past. The gameplay, the freedom, the customization, the innovative coalescence of systems,etc.. are either ignored or reductively dismissed without any substantive explanation. The entire Buddy System, for example, is distilled down to how Quiet is sexualized -- no mention of the layer of depth and variety it brings to the game.

Shit review. I understand being upset that you didn't get the MGS game you wanted and/or thought you were getting, but at least be fair. A lot of GAF impressions are guilty of the same unabashed saltiness.

It's called a opinion. You obviously disagree with him but nothing you quoted was wrong.

Or you could have properly contextualized the quote
Well yeah, of course it's an opinion. My opinion is that you can judge the narrative objectively. Gee, who'd have thunk it.

Or you could have just read the review.

As a critic, your responsibility is to review what is present in the material itself. Factoring knowledge of any cut content into your review is comparing a game to a version that does not actually exist.

You don't need to know about the cut content to see the writing failure.

How so?

Also, you could explain what you mean instead of a sarcastic remark no one but yourself would get.

By examining the pacing, dialogue, delivery, execution of themes, character arcs, etc. Do these themes have any sort of real payoff or are they fumbled? Does anyone grow as a character? Is the pacing of the story consistent? Are we given enough story periodically or is it sporadic? How is the line delivery? It's interesting how he doesn't mention Keifer at all in the review.

By examining the pacing, dialogue, delivery, execution of themes, character arcs, etc. Do these themes have any sort of real payoff or they fumbled? Does anyone grow as a character? Is the pacing of the story consistent? Are we given enough story periodically or is it sporadic? How is the line delivery? It's interesting how he doesn't mention Keifer at all in the review.
All of those are something that can looked at subjectively. I really don't understand what your getting at.

By examining the pacing, dialogue, delivery, execution of themes, character arcs, etc. Do these themes have any sort of real payoff or are they fumbled? Does anyone grow as a character? Is the pacing of the story consistent? Are we given enough story periodically or is it sporadic? How is the line delivery? It's interesting how he doesn't mention Keifer at all in the review.

Literally every single hypothetical question you've raised is a subjective question. With maybe the exception of "Does anyone grow as a character?" and then the next question would have to be "is that growth believable?" which is a subjective question.

Beat it 30 minutes ago.

My friend said it best, the open world in this game are literally interactive loadscreens where you get to suffer through snake sprinting between outposts.

That and the repetitive mission structure put this game well below any perfect score and I'm disappointed that another high profile games glaring flaws are seeminy over looked. Because of hype? Expectation?

Regardless, this story and presentation are shameful by MGS standards.

At the very least, kojima actually made a full game this time instead of 1/3 of one filled with movies.

Beat it 30 minutes ago.

My friend said it best, the open world in this game are literally interactive loadscreens where you get to suffer through snake sprinting between outposts.

That and the repetitive mission structure put this game well below any perfect score and I'm disappointed that another high profile games glaring flaws are seeminy over looked. Because of hype? Expectation?

At the very least, kojima actually made a full game this time instead of 1/3 of one filled with movies.

I only really think it can get repetitive if you're playing every mission the same way. Did you not expermiment with all the different options? Sometimes it's fun to just suit up in Battle Dress with a shotgun and rocket launcher, a tank for good measure, and wreck shit.

hwy_61

Banned
I only really think it can get repetitive if you're playing every mission the same way. Did you not expermiment with all the different options? Sometimes it's fun to just suit up in Battle Dress with a shotgun and rocket launcher, a tank for good measure, and wreck shit.

This is my strategy.

viHuGi

Banned
Beat it 30 minutes ago.

Cant agree on first part but we all have our opinions... i love the game, already 180h into it, no life since it came out, back to normal life today btw haha

i agree the mission structure is too repetitive, if you play the game always the same way... i played stealth all the time and loved it every single second of it but i love this kind of games, back to Chaos Theory now :)

Side ops not being rated are great in that it actually gave me a reason to kill and use the other 95% of weapons in the game like you mentioned. But, that still doesn't change the fact I'm doing the same 5 or so mission types in a village I have already emptied and cleared 4 times.

I doubt reviewers had time to touch any sideop that wasn't yellow

Top Bottom