• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive devs sneak in a message to Konami

tzRvfpN.jpg

KJP = KoJima Productions

Wakanda KJP Forever

#fuckkonami

Last edited:
That's excellent. Also impressive that people figured it out so quickly.

The game's plot itself is actually also about the whole Konami vs. Kojima business. (Your character screaming out "Bosss!" when separated from your leader is operating on at least two narrative levels, etc.) I'm still surprised they got away with that, though I haven't finished the game yet so maybe Konami execs are ultimately the good guys.

xviper

anyone who curses konami and says that they ruined Metal Gear is just jumping on the hate wagon and has no idea what's going on

guys please understand that Metal Gear Survive is NOT METAL GEAR SOLID 6, konami has yet to prove themselves, do you remember the awful Resident evil game that was umbrella corps ?? it got 38 from Metacritic, it was a spin-off, just like Metal Gear Survive, it meant nothing, then less than a year we got the masterpiece, the true revival of the series that was loved all around the world from true fans, that was Resident evil 7 and it wasn't made by Shenji mikami

so please don't jump on the hate wagon and assume that Metal Gear series is dead because of a spin-off, if MGS 6 turns out to be as awful as the spin-off then you can say the series is dead, but until then, Konami will keep us waiting

so please don't jump on the hate wagon and assume that Metal Gear series is dead because of a spin-off, if MGS 6 turns out to be as awful as the spin-off then you can say the series is dead, but until then, Konami will keep us waiting
No one is saying the series is dead because of a spin-off. It's dead because the creator and director of ALL mainline Metal Gear games was unceremoniously dumped from the company. The Mikami comparison holds no weight considering he only directed 2 out of 7 games.
Why would anyone even want a MGS6 without Kojima? The entire story has been told. It's over.
Trust me, coming from a Silent Hill fan, you don't want Konami shitting out mediocre sequels after the main developerment team left.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
anyone who curses konami and says that they ruined Metal Gear is just jumping on the hate wagon and has no idea what's going on

guys please understand that Metal Gear Survive is NOT METAL GEAR SOLID 6, konami has yet to prove themselves, do you remember the awful Resident evil game that was umbrella corps ?? it got 38 from Metacritic, it was a spin-off, just like Metal Gear Survive, it meant nothing, then less than a year we got the masterpiece, the true revival of the series that was loved all around the world from true fans, that was Resident evil 7 and it wasn't made by Shenji mikami

You lost me at this point

Last edited:

xviper

No one is saying the series is dead because of a spin-off. It's dead because the creator and director of ALL mainline Metal Gear games was unceremoniously dumped from the company. The Mikami comparison holds no weight considering he only directed 2 out of 7 games.
Why would anyone even want a MGS6 without Kojima? The entire story has been told. It's over.
Trust me, coming from a Silent Hill fan, you don't want Konami shitting out mediocre sequels after the main developerment team left.
MGS is my favorite series of all time but the praise kojima gets is far too much, why do you think Konami can't make a good mainline MGS game without kojima ? it's not like he succeeded with MGS 5 as much as the first 4 games, he fucked up by turning the game into an open world, if he made it like the previous games maybe the budget wouldn't be so big and he could have finished it, what happened to MGS 5 was Kojima's fault, not konami, the only fuck up i blame konami for is the cancellation of Silent hills

i know that the story of the series had ended with 4, and honestly i thought MGS 5 was unnecessary even before it came out, but why would you stop making money ?? MGS will continue, with or without Kojima

Breakage

Wait aren't the people who made Survive the ones who didn't follow Kojima when he left Konami? ie the people who decided to stay with Konami despite the fallout. Why would they be taking a shot at the company that currently employs them?

Wait aren't the people who made Survive the ones who didn't follow Kojima when he left Konami? ie the people who decided to stay with Konami despite the fallout. Why would they be taking a shot at the company that currently employs them?
Could be that they just weren't in a financial position to leave. Sometimes people rebel and support in spirit, if not by presence. Regardless of whether MGS Survive is decent or not, this is a pretty cool testament of the devotion to Kojima from the remaining staff at Konami.
Also, without Kojima, MGS(as we know it) is a different game. Might as well call it something else. That's not to say that it'll be a BAD game, but tonally it's not a Metal Gear Game. At least not with that particular brand of creative insanity meets political awareness. Even MGS: Revengeance was overseen in some capacity by Kojima. It's his baby, from beginning to end.

Kojima really is a genius, I think. It takes a creative force to pull of what he has done. You can't just plug-n-replace that.

Last edited:

Ridcully

This will probably get somebody fired, the way Konami's run. Doesn't even need to be true.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Even if you take the political side out of it, the game is still mediocre garbage. And it goes to show Konami has no fucking idea how to keep the series relevant since kojima left.

The hate wagon is totally justified. Even certain devs of this game evidentally believe so.

Swizzle

Gold Member

I guess that after it managed to ruin Silent Hill and crap on its legacy with the remasters and mishandled the last portion of MGS V development cycle and decided to go ahead with Survive instead of focusing on MGS VI or something else... yes, well... it must be the hate wagon... or not :).

Just_one

Gonna be trashed for asking this but am i the only one who thinks kojima is overrated? MGS games arent that special also...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Gonna be trashed for asking this but am i the only one who thinks kojima is overrated? MGS games arent that special also...
Yeah you're one of a kind and also where's the dislike button.

Last edited:

shinkai

Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to any popular individual or franchise nothing wrong with that. I have friends who dislike Final Fantasy all together even though they play RPGs. I like Kojima and enjoy his games, but that doesn't mean you have to like them as well and that's okay. His hype levels can get a bit ridiculous, but I feel like he usually pulls it off with the games he releases except for MGS4, weakest in the series for me.

Don't see anyone doubting it as coincidence.... But I'm pretty sure there's a reason why it has to be intentional. I'd have to check cuz I just noticed, but IIRC Komodo Dragon is already the full Diamond Dogs name.

Every other name on that list is a possible actual MGS V soldier name except Komododragon. There was a Komodo Dragon (the 1st or 2nd Mother Base Lost Soldier/Puppet you rescue). Maybe there could be a [adjective] Dragon. Glacier Dragon, Death Dragon.... I'm not sure why they didn't use an animal that starts with a K instead of shoehorning in Komododragon but maybe there wasn't one? I forget... Kangaroo? Had to have been one... Kitten? Anyhow, Komodo Dragon was one but [adjective] Komododragon was not. Either way, Hungry Komododragon is a change they would have intentionally had to make (and break from the MGS V naming system) to make KJP fit.

Anyhow, I put waaaay too much time into my Mother Base management in both MGS V and PW lol so just thought I'd pipe in with that detail o.0

//edit// actually... it may not be a new secret message from the MG Survive devs per se

I just notice all those soldiers are actually the Wandering Mother Base Soldiers...

Komodo Dragon, Jackal, Parrot, Falcon, etc... In that order: Wandering Mother Base Soldiers 01, Wandering Mother Base Soldiers 02, etc...

Their initials spelling KJP FOREVER was in MGS V.

So to list them in their natural order in a reference to PW/MGS V, you'd be making a KJP FOREVER reference regardless.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
That's amazing.

Droxcy

Always loved Kojima and still do. MGO2 and MGS4 I had some solid memories with those games. Shame what happened but think he's better off now.

Funny, makes me wonder how someone would ever see this. I guess if they were looking for it but yeah..
How the hell does someone even notice something like this?
Mentioned it above but it's not new... It's been there since MGS V.

So, it could be just coincidence because any reference to the Wandering Puppets (in their correct order) would make the same KJP FOREVER reference again.

It could have been purposeful ... but any 'legitimately story-based reason' to reference those soldiers would have made the same reference.

In fact, they sort of unnecessarily disguise it by adding adjective first (code) names that aren't really needed. But then it's punctuated with Zero in the middle. So it could have been a bit of both, and could just as easily have been a nod to the MGS V team and the same characters/reference that was created in MGS V -- not really a new statement or anything, just a reference to the MGS V reference, saying 'still KJP Forever.'

Last edited:
Mentioned it above but it's not new... It's been there since MGS V.

So, it could be just coincidence because any reference to the Wandering Puppets (in their correct order) would make the same KJP FOREVER reference again.

It could have been purposeful ... but any 'legitimately story-based reason' to reference those soldiers would have made the same reference.

In fact, they sort of unnecessarily disguise it by adding adjective first (code) names that aren't really needed. But then it's punctuated with Zero in the middle. So it could have been a bit of both, and could just as easily have been a nod to the MGS V team and the same characters/reference that was created in MGS V -- not really a new statement or anything, just a reference to the MGS V reference, saying 'still KJP Forever.'
What about the part it references the director and producer? Are those old too?

No it's definitely purposeful, same with the Zero thing and how they added new adjectives. It's disguised a bit... there's no logical reason to include the list and then misspell Komodo Dragon as Hungry Komododragon.

Just pointing out it's not a new statement per se, but a reference to an old one. So maybe the devs signed, saying for the purpose of showing they know they sort of 'betray' the team (didn't follow Koji) but they're 'still KJP Forever.'

Or maybe someone else on the team included it, and was able to sneak it past QA because they change the names very slightly, and the dev names are not signatures, but someone else on the team is saying 'still KJP Forever' and calling them cheating bastards ;p

I think the latter is much less likely though because it was a pretty obvious reference in MGS V... it wouldn't really 'sneak' in that much, anyone with notable familiarity with MGS V would immediately recognize the KJPFOREVER soldiers.

So if I had to guess, they head devs included it but disguised it just enough that maybe Konami's 'oversight' (suits) would miss it.

BANGS

Banned
Honestly, MGS4 and 5 already killed the series for me. Kojima leaving could only make it better...

cucuchu

Surprised that made it through QA

Ignoring the politics and curious because names associated with silent hill series and previous MGS games were involved, I took the plunge and actually quite enjoy the game . I am sure popular opinion will remain its garbage but I am for some reason having a lot of fun.

I kind of feel dirty for liking this game but oh well

ExpandKong

Banned

I do love the first three MGS games, but as certain members left the team after those games it became pretty clear that those first three games were great in spite of Kojima’s involvement, not because of it. Each game afterwards got considerably worse in nearly all respects (except Rising, which, it must be noted, was in development hell for years before Konami farmed it out to Platinum).

There are people who think Phantom Pain’s gameplay is phenomenal. I don’t agree, but that’s fine - there are people who praise Metroid Other M for its gameplay, and the game as a whole is still almost universally decried garbage.

People are all too willing to lay Phantom Pain’s development woes entirely at Konami’s feet. They are kidding themselves. Kojima can not properly manage a project to save his life. If you need evidence of this, just look at Death Stranding - nearly two years since its announcement, and nobody has any idea what it actually is or how it plays.

Dude’s been selling tumblers and T-shirts with his name and company logo on them. This is a crucial period for him, he needs to get a game out there to prove to people that yes, Konami fucked him over and yes, he is the genius Geoff Keighley wants us all to believe he is.

I hope he can do it, I really do. But nothing about the way Death Stranding is going inspires any confidence in my heart.

Konami - yeah, they handled that shit badly. There’s no arguing that. But they didn’t just get up one morning and decide to screw over the development team behind their biggest game in years for no reason.

As for Survive, it’s not a good game. But it’s no mystery why they made it: like Ground Zeroes before it, it’s a company trying to recoup costs on an engine and assets that took way too long to be developed.

They are the names from MGS5 so there is a chance this was an easter egg for mgs5. But could be arranged in this one on purpose.. who knows. I think its pretty cool

Top Bottom