• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Max Xeno Reborn - Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Celebrating 30 Years of 'Metal Max'!

Post-Apocalyptic Open World in 'Metal Max Xeno: Reborn' Coming to is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Steam in 2022!

Humanity is on the brink of extinction and the last remaining survivors look to push back against the machines.
Half a century ago of war against the mother computer NOA has reduced even Asia's largest metropolis, Tokyo (named TOKIO), to rubble.
Explore this desolate wasteland and battle your way through onslaughts of enemies. Salvage, modify and hit back using tanks, weaponry and faithful battle dog, Pochi, to reclaim a future for the human race!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

So, is this trailer cut to make a turn based/ish (with some real time elements like say, Valkyria Chronicles or something) JRPG look like an action game to fool more people into buying it or does it really play like it seems to here (optionally or not)? The game seems cool either way, just dunno 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

CamHostage

Reminds me of Metal Saga a bit. Hopefully it’s good.

Yep, same series. It goes all the way back to Japanese NES games.

There's going to be more. Kadokawa have a planned Xeno sequel called Wild West (same platforms as Xeno Reborn, with a Japanese release coming this year,) and a new reboot also planned called I think Code Zero right now. The original Metal Max Xeno is still on PSN (for PS4 as well as Vita) if anybody really wanted to check that out too, but I don't know if there's any reason to play both Xeno and Xeno Reborn, if the new game is totally different or just a new coat of paint. (Seems mostly a visual overhaul and engine modernization.)

There's also a spin-off game to check out called Metal Dogs (a kind of top-down shooter.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

I had no idea the doggo game was from the same franchise.

It might technically be "loosely connected", since it's not actually published by franchise owner Kadokawa? (It's made under license, somehow? Japanese license holders can some times be much more generous with allowing titles outside of legal rigmarole of franchising than other brand holder; other times, they're blockheaded bastards who let you do nothing with even dormant brands.) But it is by the same 24Frames studio that developed Metal Max Xeno Reborn (along with Cattle Call,) and Metal Dogs is recognized on the Metal Max 30th Anniversary Website alongside the other franchise projects. And your combat dog is still named "Pochi". So I'd call it canon. With cannons.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Awesome!!!!

Ehhh.

Can anyone tell me... What is this? 😅

Heh, it's a post-apocalypse open-world JRPG with both realtime and turnbased combat. Also has tanks and doggos.

You can sort of get a better picture in this gameplay clip (which also gives an idea of performance on Switch,) though I assume this is very beginning-of-the-game gameplay and so there are a lot of interrupt menu toggles and not a lot of gameplay in here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom