• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics next week

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks to TotalMackerel

I just heard on the playstation podcast that they're going to release Metal Slug Anthology on PS4. I'm assuming this is the PS2 version. Is this old news? It's the first I"m hearing of it. Super excited!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/30/playstation-blogcast-episode-213-beards-among-us/

They talk about it at about the 9 minute mark.

The anthology contains:

Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 6

hawk2025

I recall having some trouble with the Wii port, so it would be good to know if this one is better.

Easy buy if so!

Slermy

I think this also came out for the Wii. I seem to remember both versions having issues, but I don't remember what they were.

EDIT:
Shmups Forums said:
The PS2 version has horrible input lag, particularly on the first game. It is unplayable.

The Wii version controls like shit, and doesn't have the hitflashes, meaning that you'll have no idea whether or not you're actually damaging bosses.

The PSP version has lotsa loading and tons of slowdown. Blech!

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26609&sid=974b6cfe7a8a2f73837686e7afe0c593&start=30

Schnauzer

Is it just me or is there PS2 classic output rather lackluster?

Good game. I hope they don't charge as much for this.

Kolx

Why are they so slow at adding titles? isn't the whole remastering process automated? or is it because of trouble getting licenses?

Zubz

Banned
I threw so much time into the Wii Version. I'd consider a re-buy if I didn't just get the best ones (Minus 6) on Steam via the SNK Bundle.

If you don't have any Metal Slug games, and own a PS4, definitely check these out! Especially if you have someone to play locally with.

Why are they so slow at adding titles? isn't the whole remastering process automated? or is it because of trouble getting licenses?

They need to add trophies and check that the games actually work. Also it isn't wise to just dump a ton of them at the same time considering PS4 has so many games releasing anyway that it would just make some of the smaller games get buried.

And it isn't super slow really. I dunno how it is in other regions but EU has a decent selection considering the classics were added just 7 months ago or so.

I remember this anthology having pretty severe input lag for most of the games.

Can't even fathom how badly it's going to play now.

RedBoot

At this point, it might be due to lack of participation from third-parties. Sony has released the large majority of their first-party titles already (minus stuff like Ratchet, Sly, and J&D that likely won't be coming).

This'll be SNK's second title after KOF2000, and Rockstar's got a lot of their stuff on there already. Outside of a few other games (Psychonauts, the upcoming Indigo Prophecy), that's about it. Gotta get Capcom or Square on board.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love these targeted content strikes. Put Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, and Tekken 5 on the list for the entire tekken series on PS4(since 1-3 are in t5)

Then put megaman x collection on there, and Sega Classics Collectio(and Sonic Mega Collection)

After that? Street Fighter Anthology and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

Naked Lunch

Input lag on top of input lag very likely. Not a good combo.
The PS2 version was pretty awful.

PS3 neogeo station is the best non original neo geo versions ive played.

Peltz

It will probably look/play like shit. 480i collection up rendered to 1080p probably won't be pretty.

Here's hoping for more SNK bundles like the Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury Anthologies, I'd love to see all the PS2 KOF games get released eventually.

would love to get this but yeah, heard nothing but horror stories about the input lag

as far as the psp, i thought the bad loading was only due to when it was running from a UMD.... which, the digital versions mitigated

stuminus3

The PS2 version is the best version right? Otherwise, I could just download the PSP version.
Never played the PS2 version, but the PSP version is really good on a Vita. All of the complaints about loading and stuttering in the original reviews don't apply anymore because it was the UMD disks that caused all that. I presume it's the same playing on an actual PSP via memory stick.

DasRaven

I hope this means that a full PS4 release of Samurai Shodown 2 is coming. Otherwise, the SamSho Anthology should be in this place.

StereoVsn

would love to get this but yeah, heard nothing but horror stories about the input lag

as far as the psp, i thought the bad loading was only due to when it was running from a UMD.... which, the digital versions mitigated

Ooh, good tip. Wishlisted the PSP/Vita version on PSN. Any idea if it's compatible with PSTV?

Shit.

2fb2b90f-3793-4d66-b8d1-1723a9cdb993_zpsi0bqfyzt.jpg

G0523

Whoa! This is amazing news! I wonder if it will pave the way of future collections coming to the PS4. The PS2 version was easily the best version to play of the three since it didn't have long load times and you could play with a more standardized controller. The Wii version allowed you to play with the GameCube controller but not the Classic Controller since SNK "didn't know about it" before the launch of the Wii. The GCN controller is fine but the PS2 controller is the best one you want to use for the anthology.

Plus, considering that the PS2 version still goes for pretty absurd amounts of money, $15 is a damn good deal for these 7 games.

Recall

There is already Metal Slug 3 on PS4, don't honestly need anymore.

The SNK anthology collections were in general big let downs, the King of Fighters one had severe audio issues. Missing sound bites and tracks.

Top Bottom