• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metriod (Prime) Franschise contradicts Nintendo's Hardware Philosophy. Would Benefits Greatly with Powerful console..

Of course this is not alwalys the case with all Nintendo software and also to say nintendo console aren't powerful..
However, even with the Switch, Nintendo hardware have a foundation in using "mature" or withered technoolgy.

cheap and well understood in a radical new fashion to make a new product. In doing so you do not risk having failures in the hardware that can doom a product’s launch and quickly mitigate any issue given the deep understanding of the hardware and previous documented solutions.

While other franschise like Zelda, Mario and Pokemon (Fire Emblem should be mentioned too) tend to adapt more to Nintendo hardwares, Metrioid always seems like it struggles. Sure we could argue that the story and timeline cant seem to progress but it seems like there are many other franshise with far less story that have adapted by beneftting with more performing hardware.

Metriod Prime really brought the franchise back to life by adding first person, Metroid: Samus Returns showed that a tradtional platformer was still desired and Other M, though it flaws, seemed like a stepping stone in trying prgoress the story and to bridge those former perpective together by blending "over the shoulder" third person gameplay.

Do you think the Metriod franshise is gimped becasue of Nintendo hardware unlike other games or is there something else?

dirthead

Banned
Nintendo's current "philosophy" sucks cock. They haven't really made any interesting games since the Gamecube because of this.

I don't care what the shills say. You need competitive hardware if you want to keep upping the ante. Games like Metroid are 90% atmosphere. You need to keep improving visual quality to take atmosphere to the next step.

In short, fuck Nintendo and their lame mobile horse shit.

TUROK

No, I just think the demographic who loves Metroid games is smaller than the demographics that love all the other Nintendo games. Just seems like they get lost in the shuffle, comparatively.

Smasher89

I remember the prime hunters cutscenes looked really well on the old ds screens compared to everything else, so I guess iäI can join your opinion that way.
That said i think that studio dont get any trust from nintendo anymore which is sad, as it were one if not the best implemented games for online on a nintendo platform. Leagues above splatoon and smash ultimate.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo's current "philosophy" sucks cock. They haven't really made any interesting games since the Gamecube because of this.
They released, among other things, the best game ever made, Super Mario Galaxy 2, after the GameCube.
Games like Metroid are 90% atmosphere.
No, Metroid games are very much rooted in their gameplay, as can easily be seen in how Metroid clones work. Metroid clones (or "Metroidvanias") do not copy setting and atmosphere, but structure and mechanics. If the defining feature of Metroid was its atmosphere, then we would not call Ori or Guacamelee "Metroidvania", we would call Alien Isolation Metroid-like instead.

You need to keep improving visual quality to take atmosphere to the next step.
Actually, this is also wrong. Atmosphere depends on so many factors, and does not hinge on technological advancements nearly as much as you are saying. Zelda Majora's Mask is one of the most tense experiences I know, due to the combination of artstyle, setting and music. It's also a 19 year olf game that was released on a hardware that was already showing its age at the time. The Switch is perfectly capable of supporting a Metroid game that delivers a captivating atmosphere; if Metroid Prime 4 struggles to convey its intended atmosphere, this is solely on Retro, not on the Switch.

daninthemix

I don't care what the shills say. You need competitive hardware if you want to keep upping the ante. Games like Metroid are 90% atmosphere. You need to keep improving visual quality to take atmosphere to the next step.

You may not be wrong, but history has shown that there isn't room for 3 identical (or similar) competitors. Most people will choose one box to have under the TV.

The market just isn't big enough, so Nintendo chose to differentiate and it has paid off.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I love Nintendo but the last bit of kit they did that impressed me was the Cube.

I really wouldn’t mind Now if they had a handheld device but also released games on the other two platforms.

As a hardware developer they are like Kinect on steroids. And as a hardware software developer they are still living in the AOL dial up days.

But as a game developer they are still incredible.

I just wish they wasn’t held back so much by stupid hardware decisions...

RealGassy

Banned
No, Metroid games are very much rooted in their gameplay, as can easily be seen in how Metroid clones work. Metroid clones (or "Metroidvanias") do not copy setting and atmosphere, but structure and mechanics. If the defining feature of Metroid was its atmosphere, then we would not call Ori or Guacamelee "Metroidvania", we would call Alien Isolation Metroid-like instead.
Atmosphere is a very crucial component of a Metroid game. Always have been.
"Metroidvania" as a term consists of two parts Metroid and Castlevania.
And as a term it has a fairly specific meaning regarding to what kind of game it refers to.

Not every Metroid game is a "Metroidvania" for example.
Just like not every Castlevania game is a "Metroidvania".

You'll also notice that great many (but not all) indie "Metroidvanias" try to recreate that atmospheric mood.
Hollow Knight, Knytt Stories, Dead cells, etc.

Exploring a world is much more engaging when it's mysterious and atmospheric.

To answer the OP, I don't think it's a hardware issue. Whatever the last few Metroid games sold are simply not considered good enough for Nintendo.
So they just haven't really bothered too much.
Also it appears that the big N themselves have no clue how to create a Metroid game (that they are happy with), so they have again passed the torch to a third party.

Come to think of it, last Metroid game created by Nintendo was Zero Mission in 2004.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Atmosphere is a very crucial component of a Metroid game.
I never said it was not, but it is not "90%", Metroid is also very much defined by its gameplay.

Not every Metroid game is a "Metroidvania" for example.
What Metroid games are not Metroidvania? Clearly, all mainline games (Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Samus Returns, Metroid Prime 1-3, Metroid Other M) are all Metroidvanias. Only the three spin-offs (Prime Hunters, Prime Federation Force, Prime Pinball) are not, and of those, Hunter still arguably is a cross-genre game where one part is Metroidvania.

PocoJoe

Banned

Indeed.

Nintendo sells slow ass hardware with premium price, because they are greedy bastards.

"No room for 3 similar consoles" could be true, but it doesnt mean that switch should be fucking slow low quality hybrid with slow ram, slow cpu and slow gpu.

It is slow because it were cheaper than making some custom hardware

Almost every game could benefit from better specs, even botw could be much cooler game with high res + better details + world.

Tegra x1 is slow and slower than some 2016 mobilephone SoCs, 2019 models would wipe the floor with it.

It is just too slow because so many games cant even run at 720p, which ruins the experience on handheld mode.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

In short, fuck Nintendo and their e
great shitpost m8 8 outa 8

Last edited:

Romulus

I think Nintendo has a great current strategy, it's just not what I personally want these days. For me, 95% of the games just look awful.

RealGassy

Banned
What Metroid games are not Metroidvania? Clearly, all mainline games (Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Samus Returns, Metroid Prime 1-3, Metroid Other M) are all Metroidvanias. Only the three spin-offs (Prime Hunters, Prime Federation Force, Prime Pinball) are not, and of those, Hunter still arguably is a cross-genre game where one part is Metroidvania.
I'll concede that point, since I haven't played any of the mainline Prime games.

I did play Metroid Prime Hunters, and that surely isn't Metroidvania.
I also suspect that Other M is more of an action game than a Metroidvania, which is why - from what I understand - it is not particularly well liked.

Last edited:

Shifty

Nice job cherry-picking two of the Metroids that specifically are not Prime games as visual examples for this point, not to mention misspelling the name of the franchise :goog_rofl:

I think you're so off-base that you set a course for the local tesco and somehow landed on the moon.

The Prime aesthetic, particularly 1 & 2, is a poster boy for making the most of limited hardware. Not only did the games run at 60FPS, but they also made a point of leaning on shader effects for surfaces (metal, ice, water, etc, etc) and screen-space post-processing effects (visor fog, heat haze, and so on) a full console generation before those techniques would
become commonplace. Those games are absolutely gorgeous for their time and run like butter.

Nothing like a poorly-worded thread with a poorly-thought-out point to bring out the Nintendo Sux antifanboys for some bitching about weak hardware :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like a poorly-worded thread with a poorly-thought-out point to bring out the Nintendo Sux antifanboys for some bitching about weak hardware :pie_eyeroll:

tXfDGKu.png

😂😂😂 good attempt tho

Splatoon...

I'll argue that Nintendo makes the best exclusives IMO. With games like DQ11 being able to even function on the Switch, who's to say that Metroid Prime 4 can't also look great visually?

Last edited:

zenspider

Has hardware really held game design back since the PS3/360 era?

I think the argument for performance is corollary - Metroid appeals to Western gamers; Western gamers fetishize performance.

If anything, Metroid contradicts Nintendo's IP philosophy. It's never had a broad appeal and it can't pander without sacrificing it's core - isolation, hoping against odds, corruption, etc. It's a mature game (or at least more mature) in a stable of universal appeal.
As hardware advances and projects require more resources, Metroid is always a risky proposition for a conservative company. Even Prime was "gaiden'd" to try and mitigate the risk of tarnishing IP.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we will have to wait and see what the next Metroid is like with the current hardware. they are making a Metroid now so it seems pre emptive to judge a game before it comes out.

fwiw i don't think Nintendo is held back by hardware in any realm. they don't have to lean on good hardware and shiny graphics, they tend to focus on art design over all that, which i appreciate.

show me a dozen space marine shooters on amazing great hardware, i bet they will largely be generic and ignorable and nowhere as interesting as Metroid Prime.

Chastten

Banned
Literally every game that has ever existed could benefit from better hardware.

I don't think hardware limitations are what holds Metroid back though. Even on GameCube, it didn't sell nearly as well as Nintendo's heavy hitters. It just has a more niche audience.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Today's AAA vidya gaemz contradict the philosophy of modern consoles and would benefit greatly from better hardware.

What's that, your "good enough" threshold is the only one that matters so consoles are fine (and what's your threshold, the normal or the X/Pro consoles, lol)? And if someone's "good enough" is lower than that then it's shit and if higher than that unnecessary? Right.

Your gifs are awful quality and none are from a (Prime) game.

Last edited:

data_jack

Interesting theory, but I disagree. As a matter of fact, I’d argue that some video game franchises get decidedly weaker despite having advances in graphics (Fable II or Uncharted II as an example IMO). Chasing the next greatest pixel or texture count can cause game design fall by the wayside but Nintendo seems to avoid this pitfall more often than not. I also think that Nintendo can be hilariously out of touch with what western audiences want from a franchise; I have to love their weaknesses as well as their strengths. Yet they still find ways to try new things in their games that integrate new mechanics or ideas, not graphics. And that is what keeps me coming back for better or worse.

mcjmetroid

From the man who brought you:
Fuck cloud, fuck online, and fuck Microsoft. Fuck Sony and Nintendo too, while we're at it.
Good. I'm not a big fan of rhythm games like sekiro.
I just want to point out how ignorant people are and how shitty they are at troubleshooting computers
If the game sucks, and all signs are pointing to that, it should flop.

If nothing else, I think people are going to release that Kojima is a joke and was always carried by his team at Konami.
I was trying to determine which kind of fanboy you are but from your post history it sounds like you hate everything. So... ya

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned

Ah yes. Powerful hardware is the end all, be all in gaming. It has netted us masterpieces like... *squints while checking notes*... The Order 1886 and Ryse: Son of Rome.
Oh, you forgot they existed? Don't worry, most of us did once the shallow gameplay, insipid story, and cardboard cut-outs passing for characters reared their heads after the shiny graphics lost their novelty.

I mean it's not like some of the best games ever made used their respective hardware limitations to be even better.
The Resident Evil remake originally had fully 3D rendered backgrounds but the anemic specs of the Gamecube made them an impossibility. Instead, they took high definition stills and made them pre-rendered, in the process creating one of the most stunning games the GCN ever had.

You want insane hardware? Play on PC. It will always have the best hardware.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
are there any examples of what a good hardware intensive Metroid would even play like? i mean this argument would have merit if OP listed a single game that was a hardware intensive Metroidvania that did Metroid Prime better than Nintendo. are there any at all?

that is essentially the argument here, yet there are no examples to back it up. or maybe there are and I don't know of them. would be cool to find out about a Metroidvania on PS4 I can play that does Metroid Prime but better. does it exist?

bilderberg

Every game is better on a better hardware, not just metroid.

There is not a single plus on making games on a fucking tablet.
But I just need the possibility to play games at any moment in the day. What if i'm going to the grocery store and there's a large checkout line? Perfect opportunity to kill some time and get a few zelda dungeons in. Can you imagine just standing in line? With nothing to do? Fuck that. I just can't go out without my games, man. I hate the real world.

Gamecube was my last Nintendo console because it was a beast with amazing looking games on it. I couldn't give two shits about playing games outside my house on a tiny ass 6 inch screen with awful compressed audio . No one can get immersed in a Metroid game with shitty graphics,; in a loud, brightly lit, crowded environment.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, just about everything is gimped by the Switch at this point, but that's hardly the reason for Metroid's situation. It's not like they couldn't make a Metroid game run on the Switch or something.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think the Metriod franchise is gimped because of Nintendo hardware unlike other games or is there something else?
God yes.

Splatoon...

I'll argue that Nintendo makes the best exclusives IMO. With games like DQ11 being able to even function on the Switch, who's to say that Metroid Prime 4 can't also look great visually?
History. There aren't many games on the Switch that can even run at fucking 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:

kunonabi

None of the faults with the Metroid games are tech related aside from like Metroid II. The primary issue is with the various dev teams and fanbases wanting different things out of the series and not really being able to find the right balance outside of Super Metroid.

SantaC

You may not be wrong, but history has shown that there isn't room for 3 identical (or similar) competitors. Most people will choose one box to have under the TV.

The market just isn't big enough, so Nintendo chose to differentiate and it has paid off.
But...the stadia.

Gargus

Banned
Such a bullshit post! Xbox X came out late in its life and Gears is a good game!

Well xbox one couldn't do much despite its power at launch to have any truly great games aside from a couple good ones. So they released xbox one x that was touted as the most powerful home console ever, 4k stuff, and a bunch of teraflops but yet it had no good games on it. For all its power it has a couple good games, that's it.

And I'm sure it was a good game to some considering it came out with little fanfare and aside from your post just now I'd not heard anyone mention it for weeks now. But then again I'm sure some people thought mass effect andromeda was good also.

Microsoft is like a 16 year old kid with a 10 inch dick. Yeah he can swing it all over the place but doesn't know how to please anyone with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well xbox one couldn't do much despite its power at launch to have any truly great games aside from a couple good ones. So they released xbox one x that was touted as the most powerful home console ever, 4k stuff, and a bunch of teraflops but yet it had no good games on it. For all its power it has a couple good games, that's it.

And I'm sure it was a good game to some considering it came out with little fanfare and aside from your post just now I'd not heard anyone mention it for weeks now. But then again I'm sure some people thought mass effect andromeda was good also.

Microsoft is like a 16 year old kid with a 10 inch dick. Yeah he can swing it all over the place but doesn't know how to please anyone with it.
Weird analogy.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
My plastic brings all the boys to the yard, they’re like it’s better than yours. Damn right its better than yours. I could teach you, but id have to charge.

I make console warring jingles for a living.

Jubenhimer

The answer is no. Yes, more power gives you more you can make. But nobody gives a shit how powerful your box is if you don't leverage its strengths. Metroid has typically been known for pushing the bounderies of what's possible on Nintendo hardware, and it's a reason why the series has stuck around for so long, even on under-powered systems like the Wii or 3DS, thanks to the stellar art direction the series usually has. In the end, good art, not specs are what make games look pretty. Far too much of modern game development disregards this approach.

Top Bottom