• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

GHG

Gold Member
This game is forcing my hand to upgrade. It'd better be good, thats all I have to say.

randomwab

Doomslayer said:
I just hope they don't future proof themselves right out of the present.

GFW <3

Get ready to drop $7000 on a rig to play this at a half decent framerate.

<3 John Davison

adelante

Some interesting bits from that new DigitalFoundry article that was posted:

Digital Foundry: Does PC hardware offer up any additional bonuses in Metro 2033 aside from higher frame-rates and resolutions?

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes and no. When you have more performance on the table, you can either do nothing as you say, and as most direct console ports do, or you add the features. Because our platforms got equal attention, we took the second route.

Naturally most of the features are graphics related, but not all. The internal PhysX tick-rate was doubled on PC resulting in more precise collision detection and joint behavior. We "render" almost twice the number of sounds (all with wave-tracing) compared to consoles. That's just a few examples, so that you can see that not only graphics gets a boost. On the graphics side, here's a partial list:

• Most of the textures are 2048^2 (consoles use 1024^2).
  • The shadow-map resolution is up to 9.43 Mpix.
  • The shadow filtering is much, much better.
  • The parallax mapping is enabled on all surfaces, some with occlusion-mapping (optional).
  • We've utilised a lot of "true" volumetric stuff, which is very important in dusty environments.
  • From DX10 upwards we use correct "local motion blur", sometimes called "object blur".
  • The light-material response is nearly "physically-correct" on the PC on higher quality presets.
  • The ambient occlusion is greatly improved (especially on higher-quality presets).
  • Sub-surface scattering makes a lot of difference on human faces, hands, etc.
  • The geometric detail is somewhat better, because of different LOD selection, not even counting DX11 tessellation.
  • We are considering enabling global illumination (as an option) which really enhances the lighting model. However, that comes with some performance hit, because of literally tens of thousands of secondary light sources.

Acosta

Nice, I have almost covered the Optimum specs (just miss the 4GB and I don't have a SSD, but my HDD is fast).

We may have a new Prince, fellow masters! Love to see games with high specs target.

Most of the textures are 2048^2 (consoles use 1024^2).
The shadow-map resolution is up to 9.43 Mpix.
The shadow filtering is much, much better.
The parallax mapping is enabled on all surfaces, some with occlusion-mapping (optional).
We've utilised a lot of "true" volumetric stuff, which is very important in dusty environments.
From DX10 upwards we use correct "local motion blur", sometimes called "object blur".
The light-material response is nearly "physically-correct" on the PC on higher quality presets.
The ambient occlusion is greatly improved (especially on higher-quality presets).
Sub-surface scattering makes a lot of difference on human faces, hands, etc.
The geometric detail is somewhat better, because of different LOD selection, not even counting DX11 tessellation.
We are considering enabling global illumination (as an option) which really enhances the lighting model. However, that comes with some performance hit, because of literally tens of thousands of secondary light sources.
16a8iop.gif

Hope they enable global illumination!

squicken

those specs

I looking forward to seeing the screenshot mode stuff that runs at 2fps, where it closely approximates reality.

Salacious Crumb

GHG said:
Wont be enough, think you'll need to tri-fire.

Remember this is a TWIMTBP title. It'll probably be purposely gimped on ATi cards to make the new GTX400 cards look better.

It'll be quad-fire 5970s or bust for this game.

Doomslayer said:
Remember this is a TWIMTBP title. It'll probably be purposely gimped on ATi cards to make the new GTX400 cards look better.

It'll be quad-fire 5970s or bust for this game.

Does this actually happen? Generally I've foudn that TWIMTBP title's don't necessarily bench that much better on NVidia cards.

vocab

TheRagnCajun said:
Does this actually happen? Generally I've foudn that TWIMTBP title's don't necessarily bench that much better on NVidia cards.

The only game where that was true was Crysis. Took a while for ATI cards to run that game well. Every game with Physx though runs fine on ATI cards.

I hope triple-core processors like the Athlon 440 are optimized. Otherwise my build will meet the recommended requirements just fine. I am very curious what kind of IQ is enough for the optimum requirements.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What the fuck, those screenshots on the previous page are godly.

Told myself I might upgrade during the mid-year semester break... I think I'll have to now. :lol

Wow at those requirements. I barely meet the minimum.

I really want to see a video with the game running everything at max settings. Make it happen THQ!

Lasthope106 said:
Wow at those requirements. I barely meet the minimum.

I really want to see a video with the game running everything at max settings. Make it happen THQ!
Well, it's youtube quality and I don't know if these are the max settings (probably not) but the first five minutes from GamePro are from the PC version and look very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MuLbLLM1tk

Still not keen of the explosions and fire effects in this game (lighter not included, wow). The explosions look downright ugly to me.

No_Style

chandoog said:
Wow.

Reading the Eurogamer stuff i'm pretty excited for this game on my 360.

That article really drew my attention towards Metro 2033. As impressive as the PC version is, the fact that there's another developer out there who is actually delivering/pushing the graphics envelope on 360 is pleasing to hear. The smack talk against GG was amusing as well.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a Core i7 and a DX11 card then there's a pretty good chance you have 8GB+ of memory.

I bought my computer 3 years ago with 4GB and that's now about the norm for new PCs so 8+ really isn't that much for high-end gaming nowadays.

Having said that my PC just scrapes into the recommended specs so I think I might go 360 on this.

Zenith

Banned
what the fuck, another piece of content ripped from a game to resell as pre-order DLC for some shitty retail store that doesn't even exist in my country.

Truant said:
This is from the STALKER guys who left ship after THQ ordered them to streamline the game, right?

Should be out Q5 20212.

This is from the STALKER guys?! Day one how did I not know about this game.

squinters

astigmatic
Welp, I got an i7 (not overclocked, though I don't know if that will be that much of a problem), 6 gigs of ram, and am planning to buy a 5850 in a couple of months (I don't wanna pay over $300 for the new Nvidia's).

Those screenshots look unbelievably amazing, can't wait to see how it looks in person.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Not a big fan of the creature designs but the atmosphere and premise look great.
Same. Hopefully my 5770 won't limit me much. I also have my measly 4gb of RAM I just installed yesterday. Time for an upgrade! :lol

Truant

BruceLeeRoy said:
Not a big fan of the creature designs but the atmosphere and premise look great.

I agree. They aren't bad, I just wish they went for something a little more subtle. The creatures in STALKER are menacing, especially the ones that make the camera zoom straight into their horrible disfigured faces with the horrible sound effects.

Wag

slamskank said:
Despite Optimum being a joke, I'm within those specs minus the ram (6GB) and the gpu (2x GTX 260 cr216). This game looks amazing, can't wait to try a demo. I'm not buying it until there is a sale though, learned my lesson from buying wings of prey off steam for $45, when it's 50% off now.
Pack-ins with the Fermi...Watch....

Wow. I thought this game was junk but these trailers are really starting to get to me. Certainly not the most unique idea I've ever heard, but the bits of gameplay from the trailers have me intrigued.

Fredescu

Wow, love the look of those recommended and optimum specs. If it's a good game, this will be one of those games you'll replay every time you upgrade.

D4Danger said:
Having said that my PC just scrapes into the recommended specs so I think I might go 360 on this.
Purely for performance reasons? I'm sure a machine scraping into the recommended specs will still run it much better than the 360.

bee

optimum will be for 3D vision + physx, although the 8gb+ is intriguing (will it have a 64bit executable?), another game i cant wait to play in 3D

Digital Foundry: Does PC hardware offer up any additional bonuses in Metro 2033 aside from higher frame-rates and resolutions?

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes and no. When you have more performance on the table, you can either do nothing as you say, and as most direct console ports do, or you add the features. Because our platforms got equal attention, we took the second route.

Naturally most of the features are graphics related, but not all. The internal PhysX tick-rate was doubled on PC resulting in more precise collision detection and joint behavior. We "render" almost twice the number of sounds (all with wave-tracing) compared to consoles. That's just a few examples, so that you can see that not only graphics gets a boost. On the graphics side, here's a partial list:
Most of the textures are 2048^2 (consoles use 1024^2).
The shadow-map resolution is up to 9.43 Mpix.
The shadow filtering is much, much better.
The parallax mapping is enabled on all surfaces, some with occlusion-mapping (optional).
We've utilised a lot of "true" volumetric stuff, which is very important in dusty environments.
From DX10 upwards we use correct "local motion blur", sometimes called "object blur".
The light-material response is nearly "physically-correct" on the PC on higher quality presets.
The ambient occlusion is greatly improved (especially on higher-quality presets).
Sub-surface scattering makes a lot of difference on human faces, hands, etc.
The geometric detail is somewhat better, because of different LOD selection, not even counting DX11 tessellation.
We are considering enabling global illumination (as an option) which really enhances the lighting model. However, that comes with some performance hit, because of literally tens of thousands of secondary light sources.

Oh boy, sounds delicious. Looks like this game will keep on giving through several hardware upgrades, just as I like it.

FLEABttn said:
If they say optimal performance comes from 8 gigs+, it has to. 32 bit has a 2 gig limit.

You can get 32 bit executables to use 4GB of RAM on 64 bit machines, Quake Wars and AVP are two examples of games that do this.

D4Danger said:
If you have a Core i7 and a DX11 card then there's a pretty good chance you have 8GB+ of memory.

I bought my computer 3 years ago with 4GB and that's now about the norm for new PCs so 8+ really isn't that much for high-end gaming nowadays.

There's very little chance that the 360 version will have the graphics and performance of a PC that barely meets the minimum requirements nevermind the recommended. If you are hitting recommended I guarantee you that you'll get better graphics/performance out of the PC version. I can't think of a single game where Xenos has matched an 8800 class GPU, and I wouldn't expect that to change. It sure as shit isn't matching up to a GTX 260 no matter how optimised it is. Don't get me wrong, this is probably going to be the best looking 360 game on the market but if you've got much better hardware on the PC side (and your average high end GPU is at least 5x faster, as commented in that interview) through brute force if nothing else.

FLEABttn

Banned
brain_stew said:
You can get 32 bit executables to use 4GB of RAM on 64 bit machines, Quake Wars and AVP are two examples of games that do this.

I wonder how/why. Most other games hit 2 gigs in an OS and crash out. Speaking from experience, at least, with a 64 bit OS.

FLEABttn said:
I wonder how/why. Most other games hit 2 gigs in an OS and crash out. Speaking from experience, at least, with a 64 bit OS.

It has to be specifically coded for but is not a massive undertaking like writing a whole new 64 bit executable may be. I forget what its called, sorry.

Edit:

Digital Foundry: You describe 4A as a complete game development framework for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Does this mean you're looking to license it to other developers?

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes, we're investigating this scenario. Please wait to hear more about it.

Yes please!!

x3sphere

Judging from the requirements it looks like this will be the first game aside from Crysis that really stresses my 5970. So pumped for this one.

Az987

all good things
Maklershed said:
FYI - The 360 version (w/ avatar gas mask) dropped to $49.99 on Amazon today.

lol, i came here to post that!

Im tempted to pre-order but I think I should wait til I get my 20$ credit for Bad Company 2

brain_stew said:

This is not true. The most you can do is allow a 32 bit executable to access 3GB of ram by using /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag when building it or using Editbin.exe to modify it after the fact.

Please note this is generally a terrible fucking idea for most applications. Games are probably OK because you're generally not multi-tasking while gaming. That's when you run into huge issues because the kernel's memory is gang-raped and it ends up caching out too much to the hard drive. Huge bottleneck when that happens.

Top Bottom