• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Rated For PS5 and Xbox Series, Runs at 4K/60 FPS With Ray-Tracing

VFXVeteran

Banned
These guys are #1 in graphics tech. Never thought I'd see a game that requires a RT GPU. Their entire pipeline is built around RT lighting/shading. No longer an addon to a hybrid renderer. Once one sees what RT lighting does everything else looks fake. This is the kind of quality that I look for in games.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I'm more hyped for this patch than for any new game.
I hope they fixed the game breaking bug, where Damir won't help you up the ledge in the Caspian Border level - that's where I'm stuck.
The official solution from 4A was to just start over the chapter. I was so frustrated that I stopped playing the game since I put like 10h in exploration and didn't want to start over.
Now over a year later I'd love to continue and if that's not possible, start the whole game over again with 60fps.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Edition was on sale for $20 on PS Store. Checked my Series X and the regular-only game was $30. Bought it for PS. Now patiently waiting for Friday to arrive.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I have a weird relationship with these games. I finished Exodus, but I found a lot of it to be rather tedious. Yet here I am, looking forward to this release. I guess I am hoping that the mouse + keyboard will improve the experience in comparison to the PS4 controller I played it on. Still, I find a lot of the "on the rails" type missions to be sort of boring. Like those sections where you push a cart down a tunnel, and the like. Maybe I should have spent more time embracing the open world. I do recall one awesome moment where a winged creature was banging on the hood of my car, that felt tense and immediate. It felt like I had more agency in that moment than I typically do in the game, but I can' remember why.

dcmk7

Banned
I think it's pretty cool seeing this game have raytracing on the XSS. Impressive to see a $300 console have that feature when $300 video cards alone don't offer it.
The studio optimised the hell out of it. Did a really great job, MS should seriously consider buying them as they have a lot of talent and knowledge. Especially when comes to raytracing and optimisation.

It what's makes their prediction about the XSS being problematic for them in the future more troublesome. But let's see.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How bad? The PC version was incredible.
The new version has some problems.
-Broken HDR which is washed out. A bit fixed with -deependark command. SDR totally fixed with this at least
-Broken resolution selection. Game can start in wrong res even if it says other res is selected
-ghosting with dlss and hdr., But this was fixed in last hotfix
-Mouse not working in menus after loading the game
-gasmask changing gamma

Some are nitpicks. My worst one was the washed out image but thankfully dev shared -deependark command which kinda helps the game.
But day one with enhanced I was very disappointed

FunkMiller

Well, I just picked up the PS4 version cheap on PSN, so looking forward to playing this for the first time with the free upgrade.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is this specifically for HDR or SDR as well? The washed-out image and the fix.
In original release only hdr was washed out. Sdr was fine.
In enhanced edition, both modes were terribly washed out. HDR even more so.
The fix helps BOTH. Brings SDR black levels to absolute 0 but hdr not exactly... still much better than before.
Generally steam forums are very helpful. People have maaaaaaaaaaany issues with this release. It was rushed and I think devs can't afford oleds to check proper black levels

Last edited:
GI pass ll be there at quarter resolution.
So we actually(SS owners) probably gonna get a very very noisy IQ that will render game unplayable for many people
Saw gameplay footage. Looked to me like the game was running with effects that were missing from the X1X version. It also ran at 60fps something else missing from the X1X version. It did all of this at $300. It was more than playable and I haven't found a cheaper device that could run the game better. To call it unplayable is drastic, hyperbolic, silliness.

elliot5

It is not a question of believe or not... it was what the dev said.
unknown.png

That is really impressive.

1080p TAA reconstructed to 1440p and checkeboarded to 4k.
The result is really great and unique.

But I'm more impressed how Alex Bathallia put it even over his PC lovers parts.

Welcome to next-gen gamers.
?

You posted this Sony page on Returnal before claiming it says "Dynamic 4K" but it definitely just says 4K on the page. Not sure why they would have changed it to remove the dynamic.
Everything you need to know about PS5 sci-fi shooter Returnal US (playstation.com)

if the end result is reconstructed 4K, then whatever. Native 4K is nice, but in most cases it won't be native in this day and age. Forza Horizon 5 may end up using dynamic resolution despite FH4 running Native 4K and the devs just calling it 4K/30 for FH5. I don't expect devs to market their games as 1548p games instead of 4K if it's being upscaled/reconstructed. As long as the image quality is good in the end (which Alex calls similar perception to Native 4K given the distance from a TV), then it's whatever.

ethomaz

Banned
unknown.png

?

You posted this Sony page on Returnal before claiming it says "Dynamic 4K" but it definitely just says 4K on the page. Not sure why they would have changed it to remove the dynamic.
Everything you need to know about PS5 sci-fi shooter Returnal US (playstation.com)

if the end result is reconstructed 4K, then whatever. Native 4K is nice, but in most cases it won't be native in this day and age. Forza Horizon 5 may end up using dynamic resolution despite FH4 running Native 4K and the devs just calling it 4K/30 for FH5. I don't expect devs to market their games as 1548p games instead of 4K if it's being upscaled/reconstructed. As long as the image quality is good in the end (which Alex calls similar perception to Native 4K given the distance from a TV), then it's whatever.
You know why... because this page had "dynamic 4k" wrote before when the thread discussion opened.
I have not ideia why they changed it... it is false marketing now or in simple terms a lie.

The original text.

78926_6_ps5s-returnal-may-hit-4k-60fps-with-ray-tracing-on_full.jpg

You can see the original text here too: https://web.archive.org/web/2021042...n/everything-you-need-to-know-about-returnal/

Last edited:
Top Bottom