• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus reviews are out

zwiggelbig

RTX looks incredible, especially outdoors. Perhaps by the time it launches on PC I'll have an RTX card. However, my 970 is still perfectly fine for 1080p gaming...
wil newer versions of rtx cards drop this year again? since last year we got the first ones.. can imagine the second being much better already

Shai-Tan

Banned
Those reviews are in line with what I thought of the previous games. Nice atmosphere and environments, decent shooting, awkward story and dialogue that has its moments (for me the more surreal scenes)

bati

The was ONE person who by the way had no power to do so.

You really fell for that PR damage control? Sentiments like that are not what low tier workers express on their own, it's likely the pervasive mentality in the studio right now or it came as a warning to the studio from up top shortly after the backlash towards EGS move started.

You really fell for that PR damage control? Sentiments like that are not what low tier workers express on their own, it's likely the pervasive mentality in the studio right now or it came as a warning to the studio from up top shortly after the backlash towards EGS move started.
No I’m just using common sense and thinking rationally. Gonna have a blast playing the game while y’all keep crying.

Starfield

The last two games were boring, I would not expect much from this one.
I dunno what has to happen in your game to find something not "boring".

The last two games where nothing but "boring".

Edit: Just started with my 50gb download. I set the launcher to english. I swear to god Epic, if my game isn't in english I will be furious.

Last edited:
So exclusivity is only ok if it is on steam?
No its not which is why i only went to steam when the summer sales happened and we basically could rob the steam service for a penny.
but if it was up to me then steam games should be on GOG and Origin. the more the merrier. i really don't care about Exclusivity on PC.
Because its software. i understand exclusivity in hardware environments that is for me more logical due to different hardware architecture demanding more time to produce same results.

Filth

Ok so ive played the game for over an hour and so far its great. one thing that blew me away was that i am playing with a resolution of 2560x1440 and decided to turn rtx on with dlss and see if it was somwewhat playable. I expected to get 20-30 fps at most and im blown away that on high settings i am getting 100-120 fps. The game is running very smooth and looks beautiful.

thief183

No its not which is why i only went to steam when the summer sales happened and we basically could rob the steam service for a penny.
but if it was up to me then steam games should be on GOG and Origin. the more the merrier. i really don't care about Exclusivity on PC.
Because its software. i understand exclusivity in hardware environments that is for me more logical due to different hardware architecture demanding more time to produce same results.

Ok but so why I don't see anyone screaming "exclusivity" for 99% of steam games? I want to stop using it and the only way is almost stop playing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
As expected to a surprise of no one. FPS gameplay was always subpar in these games just like it always was in S.TA.L.K.E.R. and BioShock series. 4A simply can't do better.

STALKER (unmodded) had some of the best gunplay in gaming. Not sure what you were playing ;)

Playing on X1X...fuck me this is a good looking game
my son has the ps4 version so i will check it out later but this game is a looker thats for sure

Lanrutcon

STALKER (unmodded) had some of the best gunplay in gaming. Not sure what you were playing ;)

Actually, that was always the weakest part of the STALKER series. Bullet drop was extreme, damage was low, guns felt like they were firing nerf darts. Spent most of my time using shotguns because they felt ok compared to everything else. Pouring fire into bullet sponge enemies never feels good.

Some mods fixed all that. STALKER has some extremely devoted modders.

Valve saving PC gaming? That's news to me.
You don't agree that Games for Windows Live caused a eruption of bad reputation for pc games?
and that Piracy was running hammock before valve introduced the Store and market Economy with Items. what Valve did was they created a unionized place where Publishers had more trust of there product but also where customers were satisfied with additional services that the store was able to provide. People are less likely to pirate on PC, now a days. Largely due to Achievements, Workshop, Steam Multiplayer server protocols. , its just not worth the hassle of getting it for free. due to it being easier to buy and in many cases more instantaneous.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You don't agree that Games for Windows Live caused a eruption of bad reputation for pc games?
and that Piracy was running hammock before valve introduced the Store and market Economy with Items. what Valve did was they created a unionized place where Publishers had more trust of there product but also where customers were satisfied with additional services that the store was able to provide. People are less likely to pirate on PC, now a days. Largely due to Achievements, Workshop, Steam Multiplayer server protocols. , its just not worth the hassle of getting it for free. due to it being easier to buy and in many cases more instantaneous.
Very few games actually used Games for Windows Live so I’d say it’s impact wasn’t drastic. The thing that hurt PC gaming was the rise of consoles and all development being pushed to take advantage of consoles limitations.

The mid to late 90s was the time that PC gaming was its own thing.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
Picked this up for X1X, and can't wait to get home and play it! Apparently there is some sort of gamma thing going on with X1X, tho, making it hard to see in game. Anyone tried it yet?

Very few games actually used Games for Windows Live so I’d say it’s impact wasn’t drastic. The thing that hurt PC gaming was the rise of consoles and all development being pushed to take advantage of consoles limitations.

The mid to late 90s was the time that PC gaming was its own thing.

While the rise of consoles also hurt Development on PC no denying that. i still say Valve plays a big role in making sure that PC gaming has been striving due to the before mentioned Unionizing of PC players as a platform and where Publishers were given a decent protection for there products.. This is obvious because if any publishers are protective of there content it would be Japanese publishers and those have been recently having a big up rise on Steam platform.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nope, it is simply not true. Gunplay in the first Far Cry, Half-Life 2, DOOM 3 and The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB were (and still is) much better and these were 2-2.5 year old games back when the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. got released, which is in 2006.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Does Exodus have the same problem as the last two games where you're just boringly following some npc for the majority of the time?

bati

Does Exodus have the same problem as the last two games where you're just boringly following some npc for the majority of the time?

I'm interested in this too, having to wait for the big boys to open the door for you is a silly way to pace the campaign.

HotPocket69

Banned
Got my copy! Got a free compass with it too :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

No OT? :messenger_pensive:

This is gonna be a great palate cleanse after that saccharine overdose that was Kingdom Hearts 3. Havent played a shooter since FC5.

JoduanER2

Ive been playing this game for like 8-10 hours now and i want to give it a highly recommended stamp. What an awesome game. Atmospheric like no other, an experience on par with the greatests FPS campaigns.

What i like:
- The survival elements
- Detailed dialogs
- Perfect use of light sources (pitch black segments with nothing but a lighter and a flashlight to light the way)
- Gun customization (you can do a segment stealthy or kill everyone)
- Open world done right (not checklist but in service of the main story with almost no side quests)
- Awesome enviroments, they feel like real locations. Good use of weather (Sandstorms, intense rain, lightings, reminds me of Stalker in the best way)
- Good enemy variety and design (those spiders are terrifying)
- You feel like part of a group trying to survive, a bit like read dead redemption 2 without being the focus as much as that game, more lone wolf segments.

This guy summarizes a lot of what i like of this game. A few location spoilers so maybe just listen to the audio.

Last edited:
Welp, since the review thread was bumped here is my review. The game is shit. The graphics are decent I guess but everything is so static. It's like walking through a funhouse. Look! But don't touch. Physics, or lack thereof, are awful. The story is a dreadful mess. The characters are utterly forgettable, and have a stupid habit of talking over each other constantly. The gunplay is horrendous and movement is stiff and disjointed. You feel like a floating camera with a complete disconnect to the world. I was a massive fan of the first two games, and I'm not sure if it was the move to this semi open world shit or what, but this game is bullshit. I give this game a fuck this game/10.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Welp, since the review thread was bumped here is my review. The game is shit. The graphics are decent I guess but everything is so static. It's like walking through a funhouse. Look! But don't touch. Physics, or lack thereof, are awful. The story is a dreadful mess. The characters are utterly forgettable, and have a stupid habit of talking over each other constantly. The gunplay is horrendous and movement is stiff and disjointed. You feel like a floating camera with a complete disconnect to the world. I was a massive can of the first two games, and I'm not sure if it was the move to this semi open world shit or what, but this game is bullshit. I give this game a fuck this game/10.
Well that was the biggest load of toss i'd read in a while, congrats.

Starfield

Welp, since the review thread was bumped here is my review. The game is shit. The graphics are decent I guess but everything is so static. It's like walking through a funhouse. Look! But don't touch. Physics, or lack thereof, are awful. The story is a dreadful mess. The characters are utterly forgettable, and have a stupid habit of talking over each other constantly. The gunplay is horrendous and movement is stiff and disjointed. You feel like a floating camera with a complete disconnect to the world. I was a massive can of the first two games, and I'm not sure if it was the move to this semi open world shit or what, but this game is bullshit. I give this game a fuck this game/10.
Congratulations, here's your award of being the most overdramatic person of the week.

Starfield

No, he's one of the few with any sense in this thread. I don't understand how you people can praise this garbage to be honest.
By it being a decent single player shooter with enough content to justify a 50€ pricetag with an awesome setting and atmosphere arguably the best looking video game to-date (especially with RTX on) and all that without forcing you mp shit down your throat.

By it being a decent single player shooter

"Decent" is probably the maximum amount of praise I could give to its gameplay. Even that's a stretch. It has the gameplay of a PS3 era release. The game was a monotonous slog. Each area played out the same. "We are here now. Oops something happened that makes us not be able to leave here. Can you go get us out of here" Queue a bunch of moronic enemies that make little effort to avoid being shot. Yay.

with enough content to justify a 50€

Are you sure? I mean, I guess that could be entirely subjective but once you're done there isn't much incentive to come back and give it another go.

with an awesome setting and atmosphere

No. Have you played the other Metro games? Or read the books? Those were an example of great setting and atmosphere. This brand of gameplay these games peddle are best suited to railroaded experiences so that the setting and narrative are strictly controlled. I still think the move to these quasi open game areas destroyed all that. Instead they wait until you're on that dreadful train and forced to listen those uninteresting people and their inane conversations (most of the time all at the same time).

arguably the best looking video game to-date (especially with RTX on)

"Arguably" is the optimal word here. Your have to argue pretty hard. If looks decent enough but everything is so lifeless, so plasticy. There are many other games out there that are doing much more mechanically than this and still manage to look better.

and all that without forcing you mp shit down your throat.

I'm trying to figure out what this even means. Other shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield or whatever have single player and multiplayer but don't force multiplayer down your throat. You don't HAVE to play the multiplayer if you don't feel you like it eh.

Siri

Banned
Damn.... this is yet another game that I spent about two hours on, and then walked away from - not because I disliked the game, but because another new game came along and distracted me.

Also, because this was my first RTX title, I spent most of my time examining the RTX stuff instead of actually focusing on the game. LOL.

Anyway, I definitely want to return to this game. At some point. Not sure when though. (I’ve also spent only one hour on Sekiro and Monster Hunter World. LOL.)

Welp, since the review thread was bumped here is my review. The game is shit. The graphics are decent I guess but everything is so static. It's like walking through a funhouse. Look! But don't touch. Physics, or lack thereof, are awful. The story is a dreadful mess. The characters are utterly forgettable, and have a stupid habit of talking over each other constantly. The gunplay is horrendous and movement is stiff and disjointed. You feel like a floating camera with a complete disconnect to the world. I was a massive fan of the first two games, and I'm not sure if it was the move to this semi open world shit or what, but this game is bullshit. I give this game a fuck this game/10.

I have to agree, really enjoyed the first two games and was super excited to play this one. Unfortunately it was a giant suck for me. None of it came together well.

JayK47

Wrapped this up on Game Pass. I was for the most part impressed with the story, gameplay and the world. I like it way more than the first two games. It was a nice mix of linear and open world gameplay. I loved the scavenging and weapon modding. The combat was decent. It had a good ending. If I had more gaming time, I would love to play it again. The only thing I did not like about the game was the silent protagonist. Artyom talks during the loading screen, but never responds to comms or questions. Drives me nuts when game developers decide to make the protagonist silent. I never liked it.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I've had this downloaded since it appeared on Game Pass but havent fired it up yet.
Are all the weapons patchwork steam punk looking or can you find a standard m4 rifle for example?

JayK47

All weapons have a base similar to common weapons like a revolver or AK47 that you then add onto and can make some really interesting weapons. I used the revolver as my silent weapon and at some point you are able to make a silent shotgun and I switched up to that. I always kept an assult rifle for medium to long range with a scope and long barrel. At some point I was able to switch from the AK47 to a bull-pup design. You also have an air rifle that can at some point be swapped out with a crossbow. At the end, there were so many weapons to choose from that I didn't even try most of them.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This game had more polish than it's predecessors. It was good fun. Should have been in some of the goty lists. Stalker's spiritual successor(in some ways) in my opinion.

I've had this downloaded since it appeared on Game Pass but havent fired it up yet.
Are all the weapons patchwork steam punk looking or can you find a standard m4 rifle for example?

You can check this list.
https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-weapons-guide/

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m playing through this now and just made my way to the desert area. I’m blown away by how good it is. The guns feel and sound incredible. Makes the combat a joy. I also appreciate the sim elements and resource management which gives the game some nice depth. Not a perfect game but damn good compared to the majority that come out these days.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played and completed Metro Exodus back at launch. It was a great 8.5/10 overall for me and #10 out of 20 completed games for 2019. Gorgeous looking game. Great atmosphere and immersion. Good soundtrack and voice acting. Gameplay is good but clunky. A few good action set pieces as well. Great story and characters. The silent protagonist was my biggest negative.

Top Bottom