• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

The main reason why i believe, there is more going on in the background. Nintendo properly didn't put the game on there showcase, if it would not be possible on the Wii U. Like others already say THQ hasn't got the resources anymore and needs to make the safe bets.

no, I don't believe that. I am guessing the dev had all intentions to port it to Wii U, but at the end, the final specs weren't on par with their expectations.

I don't know how well Metro 2033 ran on Xbox 360, but the PC version was extremely unoptimized. So yea this developer isn't well known for optimizations and porting etc.

Malvingt2

This console is trash.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Ein Bear

You had two other options, you never had to "dealt" with the Wii. The other two consoles were practically twins, why would you want another one?

Fucking this. I really don't understand why everyone's so adamant that we need THREE consoles to run ports on next generation. Buy a PS4 or something and sit it down next to your Wii U, sorted.

The Wii U isn't succeeding the Gamecube, a mainstream failure that justified Nintendo's concern with further pursuing the hardware race; it's succeeding a console that practically recouped whatever money or consumer confidence that Nintendo gradually lost during the course of the previous generations. And now with that momentum, they chose to release another underpowered gimmick, especially in light of Wii slow sales during the tail end of its existence?

Nintendo killed support and the Wii died off. Not too surprising.

This console is trash.

Am really annoyed it won't be able to run AI's with magic invisible lights that make them like normal people and are non-scripted whatsoever and nothing like what Metal Gear has done for years with differing states of alert/attack.

:'(

Sorry am reading into your comment and avatar. Which is possibly unfair. There is a point somewhere, am not sure what it is.
Buy a PC?

Eideka

Banned
2010's Metro 2033 was doing more than Nintendo's E3 Zelda tech demo. They know their graphical shit.

Damn right, Metro 2033 is a powerhouse on PC.

My only gripe in this regard is that it's not always consistent. Some parts look unbelievable (dat lighting 0_0) alas some other (Dead City) are just plain visually.

I don't know how well Metro 2033 ran on Xbox 360, but the PC version was extremely unoptimized. So yea this developer isn't well known for optimizations and porting etc.
It was not "extremely" unoptimized if you know what is going on in each scene. I agree they could have spent some time making sure the game did not suffer from ludicrous framerate drops on high-end rigs but when I play the game I quickly notice why it does : because it looks stunning.

I struggle to find a technically more impressive game released in 2010.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really don't understand how they could build a console that is just on par with 6 and 7 year old systems. They had to have gone out of their way to make something that weak.

Whether or not they made the right decision for a given person's interests, it seems pretty evident that the Wii U's form factor, power consumption, heat levels (and incidentally, one would assume reliability curve) played a factor. A modern Xbox Slim or super slim PS3 is still a lot bigger, generates more heat, and draws more power than a Wii U.

A lot of Wii U's overall design seems considerate of the Japanese market, or at least what people are presuming about that market.

The problem is that if we're going to play dev quote wars, other developers have gone on talking about how the design of the system is smart and efficient, no bottlenecks, etc. (These comments do not have to contradict someone complaining that the CPU is weaker than they would like.) I suppose the ultimate problem with perception, is that sophistication ! = raw power.

At this point, it seems like it'd be worthwhile to have a dev roundtable where these guys just fight it out already. For all that fanboy spin gets brought up, we've listened to a year or more of developers alternately going on about how great Wii U is, and the problems they are having with it. (This guy is hardly the first to say the CPU is a problem for him.)

Dorfdad

Gold Member
to be fair Metro 2033 sucked.. I could care less if it comes to Wii U.. I found it pretty boring... Also because you don't want to invest time in making it work just bash the system right?

How do you know thy are tellin the truth vs. others?

Vs who? Who is saying otherwise?

Come on guys is this topic really going to devolve into trying to discredit these guys by calling them liars, lazy, etc.? Maybe..just maybe the CPU is a piece of shit. But I want to know a lot more about the GPU

patapuf

He also forgot to mention that THQ is going bankrupt, and probably can't afford to make another version of the game.

nope he didn't:

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

porting to Wii U doesn't seem to be trivial.

Chiggs

Fucking this. I really don't understand why everyone's so adamant that we need THREE consoles to run ports on next generation. Buy a PS4 or something and sit it down next to your Wii U, sorted.

This is how I feel. I know I'm going to get unique games on the Wii U, which is why I'm keeping it. Devs will start to figure it out (although, Nintendo blew it in some ways).

Well, the Shin'en thread won't have a third of the posts of this thread.

Shin'en is a company that have been working with Nintendo consoles exclusively during years and they're come from a demoscene background were they are accostumed working in limited consoles trying to squeeze and optimize their code.

The bulk of developers aren't Shin'en as shows how 3rd parties worked on Wii compared to them.

Pharros

I'm pretty sure for every one Nintendo fan that attempts to defend there are 4 others who sarcastically respond or simply make an attack, it's rather frightening.

Either way, not really surprising news. Sounds like they took an early look and decided it wasn't a good idea and wouldn't run. I'm sure if they truly tried they could port it, however Metro isn't known for its performance in the first place. A port would likely be sub par at best.

As much as I can't wait to get my hands on my Wii-U when it comes out in Europe, hasn't it been generally common knowledge that the cpu in particular sucks for quite a while now? Is this really surprising people? Still think it'll slightly out perform the other two all the same.

Shin'en is a company that have been working with Nintendo consoles exclusively during years and they're come from a demoscene background were they are accostumed working in limited consoles trying to squeeze and optimize their code.

The bulk of developers aren't Shin'en as shows how 3rd parties worked on Wii compared to them.
This was a metaphor for this forum, which absorbs lurid threads like this in seconds.

*Every gaming board actually.

This is how I feel. I know I'm going to get unique games on the Wii U, which is why I'm keeping it. Devs will start to figure it out (although, Nintendo blew it in some ways).

That kind of logic seems to be settling for a "band-aid" solution to a problem. I mean it's a legitimate solution of course, but it just feels like settling for mediocrity because a company can't seem to figure out how to enter the 21st century technology wise.

Smh Nintendo.

My worst fear now is that both MS & Sony will follow Nintendo's way.

Sony should move slightly towards them imo. Just in terms of profits.

MS am more worried is going in the direction of PS3 but am hoping thats just a lot of bollocks being spouted and their going for the more conservative estimates than some users are applying to rumours.

As much as I can't wait to get my hands on my Wii-U when it comes out in Europe, hasn't it been generally common knowledge that the cpu in particular sucks for quite a while now? Is this really surprising people? Still think it'll slightly out perform the other two all the same.

yup, the same sentiment was expressed by the team porting Tekken Tag 2 to wii u

Maxrunner

Well, the good news continue it seems....i thought the console was built to acommodate ps360 ports too, but not even that it seems.....:(

Another developer that could probably benefit from the technical reprieve of the Wii U. I doubt THQ has enough money to afford this guy's grandiose ideas for PS4.

Ein Bear

That kind of logic seems to be settling for a "band-aid" solution to a problem. I mean it's a legitimate solution of course, but it just feels like settling for mediocrity because a company can't seem to figure out how to enter the 21st century technology wise.

It's hardly 'settling for mediocrity'. The Wii U is modern tech - it's just that the tech is focused on the pad stuff, rather than graphical horsepower.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Pretty crazy how different developers can have such opposite impressions of the system's power. I'd have to guess it comes from their specific engine approaches. CPU-heavy games already in development for other machines vs games not yet set on a roadmap that can adapt to the system's strengths.

But yeah Nintendo's gonna have a rough fuckin time with multiplats when it looks like you have to make your game in a fundamentally different way to get any power out of the thing.

this

Top Bottom