• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” explained Shishkovtsov. “We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Shishkovtsov was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689/wii_u_has_a_horrible_slow_cpu_says_metro_last_light_dev.html

Edit:

A DICE designer has also commented:

dicewiiuf1qdg.png

Majmun

WiiU having trouble with Ps360 ports?

I wonder how they'll port nextgen PS and Xbox games to the WiiU then...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think we need some kind of Wii U developer impressions megathread where people can go nuts praising/mocking the system.

On second thought maybe not...

ASIS

So Wii U is below current gen? On par? Above?

The Wii U seems such a compact system in some areas, but ultimately fails in others.

Chaplain

He also forgot to mention that THQ is going bankrupt, and probably can't afford to make another version of the game.

andthebeatgoeson

Can't say I'm surprised. The only real hope for the Wii U in terms of 3rd parties is good to stellar sales of 3rd party games. EA, Ubisoft and Activision have to act as the life preserver for them. If they do well, others will be enticed to jump on board to not lose sales. A lot of devs will dismiss it and won't even look to see if something is possible.

I'm not really looking forward to 3rd party games unless they seem interested and want to try different things. Hell, I don't even buy them until a year later (still holding out on Max Payne 3 for $10 steam sale).

Probably, I'll only buy COD, ZombieU and Aliens for the 1st 6 months. Maybe Assassin's Creed 3.

That's not possible, Nintendo Wii U CPU although it has low clock speed is has awesome binary shit, eDRAM magic cache weed that makes it an awesome CPU.

At least that's what GAF told me!!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty crazy how different developers can have such opposite impressions of the system's power. I'd have to guess it comes from their specific engine approaches. CPU-heavy games already in development for other machines vs games not yet set on a roadmap that can adapt to the system's strengths.

But yeah Nintendo's gonna have a rough fuckin time with multiplats when it looks like you have to make your game in a fundamentally different way to get any power out of the thing.

how early we talking, cause even early dev kits weren't final specs

but i guess even final is still slow

[runs and hides from Anti-Ninty GAF]

Sounds more like allocation of resources and potential return. In that case, PS3 wins for a game like this, at least for the next two years.

Yeah, he says the proc is slow, but based on what he's saying they didn't have the resources to do it anyways, and maybe this is their way of excusing themselves from the platform.

In any case, doesn't really matter.

So Wii U is below current gen? On par? Above?

The Wii U seems such a compact system in some areas, but ultimately fails in others.

Below current gen in online functionality and social features, above gen on innovation and console features (turn your TV on with your gamepad, tablet controller, etc.,), and graphics are a mixed bag.

Some hardware components are better than the current gen, while other components lag behind.

Chiggs

To be fair, the original Metro ran like crap on powerful hardware so maybe these guys aren't the best source for analysis. Still, the overall negativity is disconcerting.

Conor 419

Banned
In fairness, there is no way around this. Nondo made a FUCKING STUPID decision with the CPU.

(Nondo to Nintendo = Capcpom to Capcom)

Top Bottom