• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light getting PS4 port, SDK possible, DLC details, standalone multi, more

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From AJ_Wings:

AJ_Wings said:
Since I can't create threads yet, there is a video interview by Ukrainian tech website itcchannel with 4A's Andrew Prokhorov the creative director for Metro: Last Light basically confirming the possible release of an SDK, 5 separate DLCs with different characters & stories from the main game and the release of the multiplayer version as a standalone down the line.

Here is the link from the Metro:LL forums where one of the members translated and highlighted the most important news from the interview. He also states that a PS4 version is confirmed:

http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=4704

Here is the link to the interview(Ukrainian):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPJHPLhB1Y
LLForums said:
- 4A games want to release an SDK and they plan to eventually, most likely paired with multiplayer.

- MLL multiplayer will be released as a separate project, something along the lines of a Xbox Arcade game. ETA: At least half a year after MLL release.

- Confirmed five DLC, story missions from the point of view of other characters. These are not cut content, work on these began after the game was finished.

- Season pass is a possibility.

- PS4 version. Will probably come with M2033.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I've had LL preordered since last E3. Can't wait. Will double dip for PS4 version if it includes the original which I've never played.

AJ_Wings

Thanks Nirolak.

Do any gaffer here understand Ukrainian? This information were all translated snippets by one of the members of their fan-turned-official forums. Just to be extra sure.

Xater

PS4 version? Nice! Gonna skip the PS3 one then. I was worried about it's performance on that console anyway. Metro 2033 on 360 wasn't a great experience either.

gtj1092

Um thought they didn't have money to do a port? Are they still under THQ?

Good news though. So many games. I was hoping to wait a year before moving to next gen but don't know how long I can hold out if most games are getting some next gen treatment.

amar212

To cancel PS3 preorder or not to cancel????

DAMN YOU NEOGAF!

Great for 2033, my NoBox friends will celebrate this today!

Xater

Um thought they didn't have money to do a port? Are they still under THQ?

Good news though. So many games. I was hoping to wait a year before moving to next gen but don't know how long I can hold out if most games are getting some next gen treatment.

There is not THQ anymore. They ar enow with Deep Silver. X86 architecture probably also means that porting it to the PS4 is not that difficult with a PC version in place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This will probably be one of the better games to test launch (I assume) ports between console and PC. Last Light looks incredibly gorgeous.

Wow, another game that is going to be cross gen? I guess The Last of Us really will be my last game this gen. Anything after that and GTA5 we can basically assume will come to ps4/nextbox as well.

ReaperXL7

Always.wanted to play the 2033, and had allot of interest in last light so this is likely a buy for me.

Keep them PS4 announcements coming, hopefully Skyrim Legendary edition will get a PS4 release.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From memory Metro 2033 performance on ATI/AMD cards was always surprisingly shit compared to equally beefy nVidia cards. So it's no surprise to see people with AMD cards lamenting its performance. The advanced DOF was an insane performance killer, too. Turn it off and watch the framerate skyrocket.

Last Light doesn't look much different, as I'm pretty sure it's making use of PhysX, and will be bundled with nVidia cards. May or may not mean much relative to the PS4's AMD architecture.

PS4 version? Nice! Gonna skip the PS3 one then. I was worried about it's performance on that console anyway. Metro 2033 on 360 wasn't a great experience either.

I had the same fears as well. I was going to gage the reaction of people who'd played it on ps3 before deciding whether to purchase, but now i'll get the ps4 version. If 2033 comes with it as well that's a huge bonus.

From memory Metro 2033 performance on ATI/AMD cards was always surprisingly shit compared to equally beefy nVidia cards. So it's no surprise to see people with AMD cards lamenting its performance. The advanced DOF was an insane performance killer, too. Turn it off and watch the framerate skyrocket.

Last Light doesn't look much different, as I'm pretty sure it's making use of PhysX, and will be bundled with nVidia cards. May or may not mean much relative to the PS4's AMD architecture.

Now that you mentioned PhysX there's a chance the advanced PhysX effects or at least some of them will not appear in the PS4 version. Depends on how crazy they went with them (in the first game they barely existed at all).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Now that you mentioned PhysX there's a chance the advanced PhysX effects or at least some of them will not appear in the PS4 version. Depends on how crazy they went with them (in the first game they barely existed at all).

Well, they did announce both PhysX and APEX for PS4, but yeah, especially this early (I'm assuming this is a launch title?) I don't know how much they will actually get running.

NVIDIA PR said:
NVIDIA Announces PhysX and APEX Support for Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation®4

SANTA CLARA, Calif.-March 7, 2013-NVIDIA today announced support for the Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation®4 with the popular NVIDIA® PhysX® and NVIDIA® APEX® software development kits (SDKs).

Game designers use PhysX and APEX technologies for collision detection and simulation of rigid bodies, clothing, fluids, particle systems and more across a wide range of platforms, including desktop PCs, game consoles, and mobile and handheld devices.

NVIDIA PhysX technology is the world's most pervasive physics solution for designing real-time, real-world effects into interactive entertainment titles. The PhysX development environment gives developers unprecedented control over the look of their final in-game interactivity.

Taking PhysX technology content creation to the next level, NVIDIA APEX technology lets artists create intricate physics-enabled environments. They can expand the quantity and visual quality of destructible objects; make smoke and other particle-based fluids integral to game play; and create life-like clothing that interacts with the character's body to achieve more realism in their games.

"Great physics technology is essential for delivering a better gaming experience and multiplatform support is critical for developers," said Mike Skolones, product manager for the PhysX at NVIDIA. "With PhysX and APEX support for PlayStation®4, customers can look forward to better games."

NVIDIA PhysX and APEX technologies are designed to run on a variety of CPU architectures and can be accelerated by any CUDA® architecture-enabled NVIDIA GPU, GeForce 8-series or higher.

Well, they did announce both PhysX and APEX for PS4, but yeah, especially this early (I'm assuming this is a launch title?) I don't know how much they will actually get running.

They didn't say the PS4 runs PhysX "accelerated" though (= in the GPU) which is the key difference. The text you quoted in fact ends mentioning you need nvidia CUDA compatible hardware for acceleration, which the PS4 lacks.

Top Bottom