• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light Preview (Sequel to Metro 2033) [2012, Multiplayer, Screenshots]

The M.O.B

CVG

THQ calls Metro 2033 its "flawed masterpiece". The moody FPS arrived from Eastern Europe early last year, depicting the post-apocalyptic Russia described in Dmitry Glukhovsky's book of the same name, with stealth, action and survival horror elements bundled together in a cinematic and mostly unique take on the Fallout mould.

But as the publisher will tell you first, it wasn't perfect; namely the weapons didn't feel very satisfying, the AI needed schooling and it spent about 2 quid and a packet of pork scratchings marketing the thing. THQ intends to fix all three bullet points.

LAST ONE OUT...

Based on a totally original story penned by developer 4A Games (and not the Metro 2034 book as originally presumed), Last Light takes place 20 years in the future where survivors of a apocalyptic nuclear event still dwell in the relative safety of the Moscow metro system, while poisonous air and all kinds of mutant nasties rule the surface.

The sequel is being built on three "guiding principles", we're told; one, not to mess with the atmospheric, survival horror feel of the original; two, to sort out the above complaints aimed at AI and cardboard guns, and three; to keep advancing the competitive technology of 2033, with a proper PC version and console editions that look just as good.

And while we're on the subject of the latter, the sequel looks bloody good; our first glimpse of the game comes via a camera pan across a battered Russia. We can see iconic Moscow rooftops stretch far into the horizon, and the draw distance is only matched by the immense detail on the battered buildings and splintered trees in the foreground.

If Bethesda made Fallout 4 for hi-end PCs, this is what it would look like.

"Much has changed," a Russian man tells us via booming god voice. "Sometimes we glimpse the sun... but war still rages in Metro... secrets long buried by our fathers." The camera pans down before eventually merging into the first-person view of a Ranger - and it's a distinctly Metro viewpoint.

Our character extends his hands to grip a ladder, and viscerally descends down into the underground tunnels, with puddle water splashing across his gas mask visor.

THQ says the developer in Ukraine is desperate to maintain the atmospheric, mixed gameplay from the original game, and as our man adjusts to the pitch black surroundings it's soon clear it's got the stealth elements in place.

Two armed men enter the tunnel space our demo player is occupying, and he quickly darts behind cover. Without making a sound our man trails the pair along their patrol route, violently slitting the throat of one and ironsight-blasting the other.

Like the original, Last Light looks to consistently offer stealth as an option; our demo shows the player unscrewing light bulbs and shooting out lamps to cloud the surroundings in darkness.

In one set piece our man stabs and shoots through the darkness to tackle a group of guards like Batman with a Kalashnikov. But it's not all hide and seek; navigating the makeshift buildings in the Metro tunnels, the player soon discovers a hulking mini-gun and promptly unloads the beast on a group of blokes who turned up to see what the earlier stabbing noises were all about.

This also offers a chance to show off some of the sequel's combat improvements, with dynamic destruction top of the bill (wood splinters and collapses to expose targets), more detailed hit animations and - although we of course didn't get our hands on the mouse and keyboard - guns look beefier and more satisfying to handle.

EASTERN PROMISES

But despite the publisher's promises that it won't abandon the original Metro's Eastern routes, there's a big Western whiff about the scenes we were shown in our early preview.

One set piece saw our player character and loud Russian accomplice attempt to escape an enemy compound by walking straight through a hall of hundreds of dressed-up soldiers, completely unaware of our presence.

There's some kind of Nazi rally going on, and our mate's idea of a sneaky exit is to fire his gun into the air and use the resulting carnage to leg it straight out the front door.

In a very Call of Duty-esque scene our demo player initiates a visceral scramble through animated scenery, ducking under objects and darting around corners as gunfire ricochets all around. A brave jump results in a painful stumble, and we then have to watch as our Comrade kung-fu kicks a couple of guards, before dragging us out the front door in an intense last stand.

Another scene has the pair engaged in a mad mine cart chase, with neighbouring riders taking pot-shots from the parallel track.

Like the earlier scene it's an incredibly cinematic action sequence, with almost 90% of the objects on screen exploding in some fashion, and the odd scripted sequence resulting in a spectacular slow-motion crash or close call - the kind you see every 2 minutes in Modern Warfare.

The cinematic influences shouldn't be taken as a downer (not in this demo at least); Last Light looks both more intense and spectacular than the original, and earlier sections of our preview were determined to shine a spotlight on the other elements of Metro, such as stealth and atmosphere - with survival horror kept for later - that 4A Games is determined to keep.

The mine cart chase also cumulates in a shootout through a speeding train, GoldenEye-style, and we're again shown that the weapons have been given some work - including a rather beefy shotgun that appears to blast holes clean through most scenery.

So it's looking promising. Last Light is planned for 2012 when, even if it is the "flawed masterpiece" of the year, it's well worth FPS fans keeping on their watch list.
Nirolak said:
metro_ll_ss_5enmm.jpg

metro_ll_ss_2ync4.jpg

metro_ll_ss_6iu7f.jpg

metro_ll_ss_7tuf0.jpg

Sounds good so far, I didn't have any problems with the first game besides enemies being bullet sponges. (Ranger mode was great though)

Was not a huge fan of the first, but saw the potential. The second seems to have gone in the wrong direction of that potential.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
no mention of gunplay changes. So far looks more of the same. The first game had a cart shootout too.

L0st Id3ntity said:
Multiplayer derp.
What. Really? Why. WHY. Please no multiplayer. Please focus on polishing the singleplayer more this time. Enjoyed 2033 even though a lot of the mechanics irritated me, was hoping they could improve the formula and continue the story rather than try their hand at MP as well. Hoping that I'm being stupid and it doesn't detract from the SP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People are seriously surprised at MP being added?

How many core targeted, singleplayer only retail games has THQ released or announced recently?

The only one I can think of is Metro 2033, and before that, Darksiders, the sequel to which is getting multiplayer as well.

Nirolak said:

How many core targeted, singleplayer only retail games has THQ released or announced recently?

The only one I can think of is Metro 2033, and before that, Darksiders, the sequel to which is getting multiplayer as well.

Both Saints Row 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon both lack competitive multiplayer with the focus being on single player/co-op.

Dabanton

Will this have co-op? surely a game like this would have been cooler with that.

Imagining sneaking round those tunnels as a team do you go stealthy or guns blazing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speedymanic said:
Both Saints Row 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon both lack competitive multiplayer with the focus being on single player/co-op.
While that's true, they still have multiplayer.

What I mean is that I haven't seen THQ greenlighting any major budget projects without multiplayer.

They seem fairly open as to what the multiplayer is, but they definitely seem to want multiplayer.

and three; to keep advancing the competitive technology of 2033, with a proper PC version and console editions that look just as good.

does not compute. if the console versions "look just as good" then the PC version is gimped.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PR said:
It is the year 2034. – the game’s ‘internal name’ is Metro 2034, so rumours can now be destroyed.

Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within.

Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above.

But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever.

As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour…

*A gripping, story-driven first person shooter, Metro: Last Light is the hugely anticipated sequel to 2010’s critically acclaimed cult classic Metro 2033
*Experience thrilling combat with an exotic arsenal of hand-made weaponry against deadly foes – both human and mutant – and use stealth to launch attacks under the cover of darkness
*Explore the post-apocalyptic world of the Moscow Metro, one of the most immersive, atmospheric game worlds ever created
*Fight for every bullet and every last breath in a claustrophobic blend of survival horror and FPS gameplay
*Next generation technology boasting stunning lighting and physics sets a new graphical benchmark on both console and PC
*Wage post-apocalyptic warfare online, as Last Light delivers an intense multiplayer experience amongst the dark Russian ruins

Also, teaser trailer: http://www.xg247.co.uk/?p=12598

MrBelmontvedere said:
does not compute. if the console versions "look just as good" then the PC version is gimped.

Or it bought the PC version a higher rendering res, smoother framerate, higher res texture library, and the ability to run on most available hardware.

Really, what is acceptable for the PC master race? When it doesn't run smoothly on the latest and greatest PC?

iceatcs

Wow, it also coming on PS3 which it is quite surprise. They should combo Metro 2033 in blu-ray as well if there isn't too much work to port.

Nirolak said:

they're adding multiplayer to DARKSIDERS?

I remember when it was first announced back in 2006, Metro 2033 was a PS3 /PC title. So it's nice to see the sequel showing up on Sony's console.

Zero interest in MP and didn't really like the first too much but I'm willing to give this a shot if it's not so incredibly boring (enemy variety please!) and the outdoor areas are beefed up graphically.

Those screens are just gorgeous. The first one looked really impressive on the PC but the console version was alright. Still I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Will buy when it hits £5, like the last game did a few weeks after release.

Please fix:

- character models
- monster designs
- boring story
- remove the narration
- add more gunfights
- remove all stealth

Multiplayer is a good start.

Zomba13

Yay :D
Loved Metro 2033.

Do not care about MP one bit. I have a feeling they'll try and make it a CoD clone and it'll just end up crap with no one playing it after the first week.

Dennis

Banned
By the way, I am pissed that they released the Ranger mode in the first game after I already finished it. That was some bullshit!

Dyno

I really wanted to like 2033 but didn't finish it and not for the reasons they mentioned.

While it looked good enough it didn't run all that great on the 360. It was a poor port and I found their use of a controller to be very complicated. There were some brutal difficulty spikes and a really bad save system.

I'm pretty sure they can fix these problems though.

bengraven

Want more exploration. Metro 2033 the Book was one of the best environments and atmospheres and just ripe for gaming. The game got the atmosphere right, but missed the exploration.

Dennis

Banned
Fighting the human enemies have given me some of the most intense fights in any game ever but fighting the monsters was a chore.

Grisby

Dyno said:
I really wanted to like 2033 but didn't finish it and not for the reasons they mentioned.

While it looked good enough it didn't run all that great on the 360. It was a poor port and I found their use of a controller to be very complicated. There were some brutal difficulty spikes and a really bad save system.

I'm pretty sure they can fix these problems though.

The save system wasn't that great and the difficulty sucked at parts, but other then that the 360 version ran just fine.

Looked great in a lot of areas too, outside of well, being outside.

I look forward to this one. It'd be nice if they made the gunplay a little bit better as well as fix some of the difficulty issues.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, I can't help but groan when MP is introduced into a sequel when the first was such a good single player experience. This shit is getting old.

Top Bottom