• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light - Ranger Survival Guide video series

Bi50N

UPDATE: Third and final chapter released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMI0fiJqY4

This one looks at your inventory - mask, watch, charger - resource management and... guns :)

New trailer next week too!

OP:

We just released the first in a series of three Metro: Last Light gameplay videos, entitled the 'Ranger Survival Guide'. Lots of new footage...

Part I: The World of Metro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwJXgb3G508

Part II: Enemy Danger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4WSE4za6VE

Part III: Weapons and Inventory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMI0fiJqY4

We used one of the in-game characters for the voice over (you'll meet him in the Sparta armoury right at the start of the game). Actor's name is Boris Kiezsky if anyone's interested... We're releasing the other episodes over the next two weeks, so I'll update the OP as and when...

Also, a new preview emerged from our 1st hands-on event that I hope might encourage any of the Metro fence sitters to take another look...

http://www.pcgamesn.com/hands-metro-last-light

"The world is so well-realized, the art and sound so evocative, that it’s hard to remember that I’m just playing a game. That it’s not my ragged breathing and hesitant footfall I’m hearing. Last Light imprisoned me so effectively in another place and time that it was impossible to remain detached, to treat it as just a series of scenarios to be won..."

Alpende

Looks good. I really liked Metro 2033 and I'll definitely pick this one up at some point. I already look forward to NOT meeting those spiders and scorpions.

Looking great. I should have a steam review copy of this in the near future from what I'm told. Highly anticipating this. Metro 2033 was a surprise hit for me in all the right ways.

Hey Bi5on,
Any confirmation on which AA modes the PC version will have and how in depth the Visual setting options will be?

In the first game we could basically only go through presets, aa, af, vsync, dx11 DOF, and Phsyx.

Will they now be broken into stuff like Texture quality, post processing, model detail, etc?

"Ghost" was the creepiest level of the first game, can't wait to see more of the shadows and hallucinations.
idNZ2SCNs3zPV.jpg

One thing that annoyed me in the first game is, why aren't there any melee stealth kills? Or did I just not know how to perform them?

AJ_Wings

"Ghost" was the creepiest level of the first game, can't wait to see more of the shadows and hallucinations.
idNZ2SCNs3zPV.jpg

One thing that annoyed me in the first game is, why aren't there any melee stealth kills? Or did I just not know how to perform them?

If you mean first person melee stealth kills ala Dishonored, Nope. In Last Light however, you have the choice of non-lethal and lethal first-person stealth takedowns.

Bi50N

A few answers:

@messofanego

We've revamped the control scheme. In 2033 all weapons, primary and secondary, had to be actively selected and carried. The only way you could melee was by selecting the knife (or using a weapon with a secondary melee like the auto shotgun)

Now you have access to a knife melee at all times (classic right stick click). And if you sneak up close to enemies it becomes a context sensitive execution, while 'X' becomes a context sensitive non lethal melee

Secondaries (grenades, throwing knives) are also instantly deployable now. Playtests showed that they just weren't being used under the old scheme, although I admit I miss the sight of Artyom's left hand holding a fan of knives... You can't spam secondaries though - the action is typcially Metro (ie slow and considered) as you pass your gun to your left hand, reach for your thrown weapon and despatch it...

re: subs for NPC's when playing in Russian. It doesn't work. We tried!

re: 720p - hmm, we capture in 1080 but these kind of assets get processed by Deep Silver's video department. I'll see if we can get a 1080 version, but it might come later (or not at all...)

re: PC settings... we're still working on final options. I don't have specific answers yet

@ kurdel - A 660ti should be fine... I have a single 580 in my PC at home, very decent performance

Bi50N

How does one get to play the Ranger mode at launch?

Is it included in the base game or what?

It'll be included in the first production run. A pre-order would guarantee it. When that first run sells out, it'll be available as DLC.

A few answers:

@messofanego

We've revamped the control scheme. In 2033 all weapons, primary and secondary, had to be actively selected and carried. The only way you could melee was by selecting the knife (or using a weapon with a secondary melee like the auto shotgun)

Now you have access to a knife melee at all times (classic right stick click). And if you sneak up close to enemies it becomes a context sensitive execution, while 'X' becomes a context sensitive non lethal melee

Secondaries (grenades, throwing knives) are also instantly deployable now. Playtests showed that they just weren't being used under the old scheme, although I admit I miss the sight of Artyom's left hand holding a fan of knives... You can't spam secondaries though - the action is typcially Metro (ie slow and considered) as you pass your gun to your left hand, reach for your thrown weapon and despatch it...

re: subs for NPC's when playing in Russian. It doesn't work. We tried!

re: 720p - hmm, we capture in 1080 but these kind of assets get processed by Deep Silver's video department. I'll see if we can get a 1080 version, but it might come later (or not at all...)

re: PC settings... we're still working on final options. I don't have specific answers yet

@ kurdel - A 660ti should be fine... I have a single 580 in my PC at home, very decent performance

Thanks for the answers.

Can you elaborate on why subs for NPCs couldn't work? Is it a technical thing?

"Only then. Do you stand a chance. To survive this. Hellhole."

I love this quote from Khan:

"It appears that the devastation we brought upon ourselves was complete. Heaven, Hell and Purgatory were atomized as well. So when a soul leaves the body it has nowhere to go, and must remain here, in the Metro. A harsh, but not undeserved atonement for our sins, wouldn't you agree?"

Man's hubris come to haunt them in the future.

wicko

I was tricked - I thought this was going to be about ranger difficulty.

Really hoping the Ranger mode is the same as Ranger Easy - felt that difficulty hit all the right spots. Bit misleading considering it isn't exactly easy, but also not stupidly hard.

I bought the first game a few days ago for $5. Definitely going to buy this one. I can't believe the original flew under my radar when it was released.

Apocryphon

2033 was incredible. So much atmosphere.

Last Light is one of my most highly anticipated games this year - can't wait!

feel

Video got me very hyped!

Time to install 2033, have it on Steam but only played the xbox version back when it came out.

edit- Proper stealth kills now? Cool, I remember having to awkwardly toss knives at the backs of people from point blank on the first one.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I love this quote from Khan:

"It appears that the devastation we brought upon ourselves was complete. Heaven, Hell and Purgatory were atomized as well. So when a soul leaves the body it has nowhere to go, and must remain here, in the Metro. A harsh, but not undeserved atonement for our sins, wouldn't you agree?"

Man's hubris come to haunt them in the future.

Was wondering what characters made it into the sequel. Wasn't sure if it was going to just be a new protagonist and new supporting characters.

We just released the first in a series of three Metro: Last Light gameplay videos, entitled the 'Ranger Survival Guide'. Lots of new footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwJXgb3G508
Kind of dissapointing to see so few post in the thread. Games looking good a bit watered down for mass market consumption... still really good stuff.

Why is the game 720P only? Gives the impression of focusing too much on consoles when the thick part of sales for 2033 was on PC.

Again thanks for the video link.

iavi

This game has been on my radar since debut, and I'm glad to see it shaping up to be fantastic. Hearing that it'll actually be optimized this time around for the PC is good too.

sunnz

Except from having to get the air filter every 10 seconds, I loved the outdoors part quite a lot so happy to see that is becoming more common.

Can't wait, really enjoying 2033 ( BSOD stops me :() and really looking forward to this.

This year, so good for gamers but bad for the wallet.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
quick question

I had just started on Metro 2033, should I try the normal difficult or go for ranger mode ?

Normal difficulty. Metro 2033 is a great game but has some unpolished quirks, so its better that you learn the mechanics and the few unbalanced issues in a more forgiving setting. The story bifurcates with some player path choices so a second play through won't be tedious as far as narrative is concerned.

I think I read about it in a previous preview, but I can't find the article. So I was wondering, is military grade ammo still going to be used as currency in Last Light?

Hypron

Normal difficulty. Metro 2033 is a great game but has some unpolished quirks, so its better that you learn the mechanics and the few unbalanced issues in a more forgiving setting. The story bifurcates with some player path choices so a second play through won't be tedious as far as narrative is concerned.

I'm pretty partial to ranger mode. You die quicker but enemies die quicker as well. It's fair, and it really adds to the game. A bit like Crysis' delta difficulty.

It'll be included in the first production run. A pre-order would guarantee it. When that first run sells out, it'll be available as DLC.

How much is the dlc going to cost, I adore this game and series but I just... why make a game difficulty mode dlc or pre-order bonus???? Man, not like this.jpeg

edit: great gifs Messofanego!

Ah nice detail.. :)

There are loads of nice details like that in Metro 2033. Your gas mask cracks when you're damaged. How you check your watch to see how much time is left before you need to switch filters for your gas mask. Having to charge a pneumatic pump for your flashlight, because it gets dimmer as time goes on.

There's going to be a lot of wiping in Metro Last Light :p
ipdr7pxhxZY1Z.gif

feel

I wonder if in some outside areas you can now breathe without the mask? I'd like to explore some (just some, not all) of these beautiful areas in the surface without hurry. :)

hhhhnnnnng those gifs

Top Bottom