• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

El_Chino

Showing that it is improved from the 360 version doesn't prove that it's not a downgrade for the PC.

Congratulations you just showed a comparison gif of the 360 version to the redux version when the person you quoted was referring to both pc versions.
I believe the only downgrade in the PC version is the volumetric lighting? I mean, they stated they wanted to make the game run better on all pcs so maybe that was victim?

Kssio_Aug

Haha I haven't tried it as I was hoping to finish the games in order

I hope it is a problem only with 2033. What would most certainly be a bug, and would make me hope for a patch soon! I will be pissed if it is a performance problem though... I mean, Im pretty sure that DF did not stated that at all.

El_Chino

I hope it is a problem only with 2033. What would most certainly be a bug, and would make me hope for a patch soon! I will be pissed if it is a performance problem though... I mean, Im pretty sure that DF did not stated that at all.
I'll let you know if the loading has been fixed after it has been reinstalled.
They've patched the lighting back in for the PC version. At least some of it.
So what's the problem again?

seph1roth

If there's someone with a GTX 770 i will appreciate all kind of comments about the performance with this GPU.

Which settings? VHQ-HQ?

Here at eurofag we must wait till August 29. T_T (I prefer not doing that VPN thing)

Not everywhere. But this is still commendable and worth praising.
There is no such a thing as too demanding on PC, graphical presets are there for a reason.

Indeed, very nice to see some of it patched.

Now I can only hope all the other missing volume lights in the game get patched in (and there are a TON missing).
If there's someone with a GTX 770 i will appreciate all kind of comments about the performance with this GPU.

Which settings? VHQ-HQ?

Here at eurofag we must wait till August 29. T_T (I prefer not doing that VPN thing)

*EuroGAF

VPN'is not too hard. Just download the trial version of Spotflux, it is togglable and lasts 3 days. It does not mess with your PC at all.

RoKKeR

That is the 360 version compared to redux, not exactly accurate.

Congratulations you just showed a comparison gif of the 360 version to the redux version when the person you quoted was referring to both pc versions.
Ah damn, not allowed to be a smartass on GAF anymore!? Bummer! I'm fully aware he was referencing the PC version, but nonetheless...

I've said it before, but it's clear this collection is geared towards giving console players the proper Metro games that they missed out on last gen. On PC it's a different story, hence the discount and not as many tangible upgrades. (they already looked good to begin with) It's clear that 2033 has lost some things in it's transition to the LL engine (volumetric lighting) but this sum of it's parts as many have stated in this thread absolutely outdoes the original. Calling it a downgrade is simply disingenuous.

That is all.

I will now continue waiting for my XBL credit to show up from Amazon. Argh.

What was particular about the stealth system in LL that differed from original 2033?

In Metro 2033 you never really knew if enemies could see you or not so there were times when you assumed you were hidden when in fact you were not, alerting all the enemies in the area. In Last Light they created a system that was very cut and dry; you are hidden, you are not hidden. I've heard complaints that they "dumbed it down" but I'm totally okay with it. It makes the game far less frustrating to play.

Ah damn, not allowed to be a smartass on GAF anymore!? Bummer! I'm fully aware he was referencing the PC version but nonetheless...

I've said it before, but it's clear this collection is geared towards giving console players the proper Metro games that they missed out on last gen. On PC it's a different story, hence the discount and not as many tangible upgrades. (they already looked good to begin with) It's clear that 2033 has lost some things in it's transition to the LL engine (volumetric lighting) but this sum of it's parts as many have stated in this thread absolutely outdoes the original. Calling it a downgrade is simply disingenuous.

That is all.

I will now continue waiting for my XBL credit to show up from Amazon. Argh.
PC users should not be content with having the game just look "x" better in certain areas. The volumetric lighting can (as shown by the recent patch), and IMO, should be re-added for all instances where it is missing.

This is the PC we are talking about here. No reaons why it needs fake billboard lighting for performance reasons. That is why we have graphical presets.

GavinUK86

It looks fantastic maxed out on PC. I think it's impressing me more than vanilla 2033 did back in 2010.

cukbui.png

RoKKeR

PC users should not be content with having the game just look "x" better in certain areas. The volumetric lighting can (as shown by the recent patch), and IMO, should be re-added for all instances where it is missing.

This is the PC we are talking about here. No reaons why it needs fake billboard lighting for performance reasons. That is why we have graphical presets.

Right, fully aware and fully agree. I'm trying to say that it's clear that things were lost in the transition to the LL engine. (LL in general had fewer volumetric lights) The patch obviously shows that it's either in there or has the ability to be patched in without much trouble, so it's up to 4A on that one.

About an hour in so far. Is it me, or are the animations for the giant rat things really fucking janky? For some reason, I also don't find the game much of a looker. Yet.

Watevaman

Damn it, they got my hopes up with 2033 being available but still being 12.50. Now I'm home from class and it's actually 25 again. Looks like I'm waiting for the winter sales.

Just popped Redux into my PS4 and besides the intro video to 2033 looking a little stuttery and teary the game looks and plays great. I had to turn the sensitivity all the way up and aiming could still be a little quicker but it's still miles better than the 2033 on my 360 HDD, which I just deleted as I will never play that version again. 60 frames or bust!

My order has been paid for and now waiting for euro release day. PS4 version looks like very high settings, impressive at 1080p locked 60fps.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
Re: Xbox One issue with loading getting stuck at 99%

As far as I have been able to gather, it's only for people who have the retail disc version of Metro Redux and who downloaded the patch today.

For some, reinstalling the disc fixes it. For most others it doesn't, which is weird because there's no apparent logic behind it when a reinstall works for one and not for the other. Nobody would reinstall it unless they ran into the issue, so everyone has at least started it up once. Nothing in the patch *should* have caused anything like this either.

That said, we're looking into it and are trying to pinpoint the cause. I know it sucks, but I hope you can be be patient as everyone involved on our end is in Europe on European time (00:12 AM CEST as of now), so it might take a bit of time.

If you ran into PC issues, reporting it on the Steam Community Hub in the Technical Support sub-forums will also help a lot. We have people looking at the info users are sharing there in order to speed up the fixing process as best we can.

Metro Redux on PC is messed up for me. It crashes every time the intro video ends. After checking out the Metro Redux forum/community on Steam, the problem seems to be common.

El_Chino

Re: Xbox One issue with loading getting stuck at 99%

As far as I have been able to gather, it's only for people who have the retail disc version of Metro Redux and who downloaded the patch today.

For some, reinstalling the disc fixes it. For most others it doesn't, which is weird because there's no apparent logic behind it when a reinstall works for one and not for the other. Nobody would reinstall it unless they ran into the issue, so everyone has at least started it up once. Nothing in the patch *should* have caused anything like this either.

That said, we're looking into it and are trying to pinpoint the cause. I know it sucks, but I hope you can be be patient as everyone involved on our end is in Europe on European time (00:12 AM CEST as of now), so it might take a bit of time.

If you ran into PC issues, reporting it on the Steam Community Hub in the Technical Support sub-forums will also help a lot. We have people looking at the info users are sharing there in order to speed up the fixing process as best we can.
Thanks! Re-installing worked for me, just hope it works for others as well.

Going to be picking it up on my Xbone after work. Can't wait to play through 2033 again... Loved it to death on PC. The updated visuals will be a nice treat.

Think I'll stream too.

The Chef

I was going to hold out on buying anything until Destiny...but was debating on getting Last Light right now on PSN....what say you Gaf. Worth it for the next few weeks or worth skipping? (I know it may be a little early to tell)
And no, i've never played Metro before.

For the guy asking how Redux performs on the 770...

Getting 60FPS consistently with everything turned up -SSAA. Also have a 2600K(stock)and 8GB RAM.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, I just tried the Xone Redux version here! Digital download!
Played just the intro (
till the mc and his partners get attacked by a horde of demons
)... and well, I have to say that I'm definitely surprised!!

Maybe I'm talking shit, but I did notice that Ryse and Destiny beta were both running sub FULL HD right from the start... if I'm not mistaken both these games were set to 900p. But the 912p of Redux does not look to me at all a sub HD version, I'd say the image is pretty damn sharp, more then I expected it to be! Also by the little I played, the gameplay felt incredibly smooth and stable! That said, I highly recommend the Xone version! Ah, and about the visuals, they're amazing!

Completely worth it!! Good job there 4A!!
Till the part I played I had no problems with the loading screens. Maybe its because its the digital version, or maybe because I did not reached the part where the problem is happnening. But I hope that the developers quickly fix any kind of issue the consoles versions may be having, specially serious issues like those about the loading times reported already.

RoKKeR

I was going to hold out on buying anything until Destiny...but was debating on getting Last Light right now on PSN....what say you Gaf. Worth it for the next few weeks or worth skipping? (I know it may be a little early to tell)
And no, i've never played Metro before.

The way 4A designed the package/pricing is so that you could try out 2033 for a reasonable price and if you enjoyed it, grab the sequel whenever it's convenient.

I'd personally recommend at least giving 2033 a shot, but then again I'm a bit biased.

The Chef

The way 4A designed the package/pricing is so that you could try out 2033 for relatively small price and if you enjoyed it, grab the sequel whenever it's convenient.

I'd personally recommend at least giving 2033 a shot, but then again I'm a bit biased.

I have a feeling that this little break before Destiny and other games hit in the fall this will be my only chance to try it out. If I were to play just one would you still recommend 2033 or should I go for Last Light?

Joco

Is this having a limited run? I went in to GameStop today to pick up a copy for my PS4 and the manager told me that me and one other person were the only preorders for the store and the store was only sent the two copies for the preorders and nothing else. I know Metro isn't very "mainstream" but I was surprised they didn't have any extra copies.

Is this having a limited run? I went in to GameStop today to pick up a copy for my PS4 and the manager told me that me and one other person were the only preorders for the store and the store was only sent the two copies for the preorders and nothing else. I know Metro isn't very "mainstream" but I was surprised they didn't have any extra copies.

It seems like it might, my brother works at Target and he was going to buy a PS4 copy and they said they only got enough for pre-orders and no extras for PS4 or XB1,

RoKKeR

I have a feeling that this little break before Destiny and other games hit in the fall this will be my only chance to try it out. If I were to play just one would you still recommend 2033 or should I go for Last Light?

I'd say definitely start with 2033. I prefer the story and atmosphere in 2033 to Last Light, and the updated graphics and gameplay should go a long way to make it very enjoyable. (as reviewers and posters in this thread alike have stated)

I'd say definitely start with 2033. I prefer the story and atmosphere in 2033 to Last Light, and the updated graphics and gameplay should go a long way to make it very enjoyable. (as reviewers and posters in this thread alike have stated)

I agree. 2033 had horrible stealth mechanics and enemy A.I. hopefully, this redux fixed those problems. I'm gonna play the Redux tonight after the Boss Lady goes to bed. I'm looking forward to replaying these games. I loved them the first time through, and imagine I'll love it even more with these refinements.

Did someone post how to add some of the missing effect back in to the PC version? I thought I read that somewhere, couldn't remember if it was here or somewhere else on the internet.

FLAguy954

Runs a lot better than the original for me: i7 4770k, 32 GB RAM, GTX Titan. 3440x1440 res.

However, I'm disappointed at the lack of AA options, only has 0.5 SSAA (makes the IQ blurry) and 2xSSAA (incredibly demanding).,

Why don't you force AA through Nvidia Inspector? I'm forcing Ultra SMAA and 2xEQ AA through RadeonPro (i5 4670K @ 4.5 for CPU Physx, 8 GB ram, R9 270, etc). Even though I haven't run across a physx instance yet, I'm sure it'll run pretty smoothly on the CPU this time for me (ala Borderlands 2).

misho8723

Banned
Playing right now M2033 original on Ranger Hardcore and i'm in that "famous" level titled
Biomass
- it is a fucking nightmare, just like i remembering it when i played this game for the first time.. tried maybe 20x but still no success.. so i went to see on YT, how this level looks in Redux and if they changed something in it to make it a "little" bit less frustrating.. and thank god, it looks like that did change things - but right now i must to get past this fucking level

lmbotiva

anyone who payed last light on PC and for some reason got it on ps4 how close are the 2 versions? and please only those who know answer, i already have the game on PC but since i have to pay to upgrade i rather get the ps4 version because the console is on my room so i can play while on bed

Z_Y

Anything different in buying the digital bundle vs separate on PSN?

Was just going to buy 2033 for now and LL later...but just saw they are bundled digitally too.

Why don't you force AA through Nvidia Inspector? I'm forcing Ultra SMAA and 2xEQ AA through RadeonPro (i5 4670K @ 4.5 for CPU Physx, 8 GB ram, R9 270, etc). Even though I haven't run across a physx instance yet, I'm sure it'll run pretty smoothly on the CPU this time for me (ala Borderlands 2).

Forcing hardware AA will not work in the 4a engine.

Deadbeat

Banned
Playing right now M2033 original on Ranger Hardcore and i'm in that "famous" level titled
Biomass
- it is a fucking nightmare, just like i remembering it when i played this game for the first time.. tried maybe 20x but still no success.. so i went to see on YT, how this level looks in Redux and if they changed something in it to make it a "little" bit less frustrating.. and thank god, it looks like that did change things - but right now i must to get past this fucking level
I beat that level going revolver only in the original. You have to run ahead as soon as you get off the elevator and shoot the first generators. Then run and focus on the second. Then start spamming anything on the ground. Then after most have been delt with rush to the third set of ones and colonel whatever should have survived.

Top Bottom