• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Reviews

Bragr

Banned
88 on Metacritic.
88 on Open Critic.

VGC - 100
"With a near-perfect balance of nods to the past and fresh ideas, Metroid Dread brings cinematic flair, fast-paced action and a surprising story to the side-scrolling classic. This is the comeback fans have been waiting for."

GameInformer - 90
"Despite a few hiccups in this timeworn pattern, Metroid Dread is a white knuckle thrill ride that you shouldn't fear."

IGN - 9
"A surprise sequel after nearly 20 years, Metroid Dread brings back the legendary exploration and progression and merges it with excellent modern combat and some of the best boss fights ever."

Destructoid - 85
"Metroid Dread doesn't take a lot of big swings, but it rarely bats a foul ball. "

GameSpot - 8
"My first playthrough of Metroid Dread took nine hours, and I still had plenty of secrets remaining to uncover. My second playthrough clocked in around four hours, largely due to the fact I knew exactly where to go and had a solid grasp of each of the boss battles. While Dread definitely does have a few demanding fights, overall it's not as trying as Samus Returns. That said, you can go back through and play on hard mode after finishing the game, and this difficulty level significantly ups the challenge.

More than anything else, Metroid Dread feels like going back to a place of comfort after a long time away. Though the gameplay is refined and new features have been added to the mix, Dread sticks closely to the formula of its predecessors. In the end, for longtime fans like myself, that's probably for the best. There's nothing to dread here. We're home again."

VG24/7 - 80
"There are original ideas here - but they’re better considered as evolutions of what came before rather than anything groundbreaking. There’s stumbles here and there with the difficulty and progression signposting, but all of that feels very Metroid. Dread is no Super Metroid, but that game is a stone-cold all-timer. Putting that game aside, Dread is up to the series standard, and is well worth a look."

Digitally Downloaded - 70
"I left Metroid Dread feeling quite conflicted about it. On the one hand, I do think it is fundamentally well designed, and the main gameplay element - the robot stalkers - are woven into the Metroid formula beautifully. On the other hand, that Metroid formula is getting long in the tooth and Dread doesn't do nearly enough to revitalise it. Dread is fine. It's not just nearly memorable enough for a game that fans have been waiting so many years for now."

GamesRader+ - 70
"Frustrating boss battles and cumbersome controls distract from an otherwise fun and isolating adventure."

Last edited:
Dread sticks closely to the formula of its predecessors. In the end, for longtime fans like myself, that's probably for the best. There's nothing to dread here. We're home again."
What a cringe quote. I have a special dislike of Metroid purists.

Glad the game is reviewing well so far though. I'm psyched. Happy that Mercury Steam is getting a much deserved win.

Mr Branding

Gotta say one thing, I know people like to shit on Mercury Steam for their few hiccups but I greatly enjoyed Castlevania LoS and Mirror of Fate, and knowing that they are the developer behind this made me curios to say the least. Not going to jump on full price since I don't usually with these kind of games but will definitely grab it on sale.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Good reviews. This is a full priced titled though, correct? Any news of length? Many 2D Metroids can be easily beaten in 4-6 hours.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendolife 10/10

Metroid Dread is a triumphant return for both Samus Aran and developer MercurySteam. This is a super-slick, hugely entertaining and exquisitely designed entry in the Metroid franchise that plays better than anything we've seen from the series so far. With a bunch of fantastic new abilities, super tense and enjoyable stealth sections, plenty of great big boss fights and a story that fans will definitely enjoy, we can't really see how this one could have been any better. Best Metroid game ever? This could be the one.

Last edited:
I haven't really seen anything that would warrant a 10 in the previews. But I'm still psyched that people seem to be enjoying it. The gameplay in Samus Returns felt great to me, so I think that'll be the highlight for me. I could never go back to no parry, and no 360 aiming.

Bodomism

Banned
Looks in line with Samus Returns,not looking good.

SyjYpUp.png

Last edited:
I trust fan sites more than others really, they already have people interested in those games so they have to click bait less.

I reckon the opposite. They have to justify being a 1 platform reviewer by consistently inflating scores of the big titles

Similar to how IGN 64 always inflated

Last edited:
This will be the best selling Metroid game of all time and it’s a Mercury Steam joint lmao

MP4 will be

The hype for that game is at unprecedented levels

Dread is nothing more than the appetiser before the main

There's a reason it's taking a billion years to come out. Nintendo knows how important it is

Last edited:

TexMex

Got my preorder in the mail. A lot of these reviews compare it favorably to Super and I just can’t be insanely skeptical that it’s on that level. Would love to be wrong.

Got my preorder in the mail. A lot of these reviews compare it favorably to Super and I just can’t be insanely skeptical that it’s on that level. Would love to be wrong.
I always wonder if people can actually articulate what it would take to pass Super Metroid in their minds so that the game can't just sit on a pedestal forever. I don't think it should be considered that impossible to beat a SNES game. What is SNES still better in, story and level design? Because it's not better in combat gameplay or graphics. Sounds like this has better boss fights too.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Looks like it's getting some pretty good scores. The negative scores seem to be focused on "frustration" with controls which is a weird thing. I can't imagine this game controls any different than Samus Returns or other 2D Metroids and if anything it looks like it'd be even more fluid with 60fps as well.

Excited to jump in! Now if only I can find an OLED too :(

I always wonder if people can actually articulate what it would take to pass Super Metroid in their minds so that the game can't just sit on a pedestal forever. I don't think it should be considered that impossible to beat a SNES game. What is SNES still better in, story and level design? Because it's not better in combat gameplay or graphics. Sounds like this has better boss fights too.

Also, nostalgia factor is real, but virtually impossible to quantity

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't really trust Metroid Reviews after the Samus returns 85 metascore.
But I guess it seems good enough to give it a try once some used copies show up

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Rather be dread than red!

looking forward to playing this one when I get back from my vacation.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I don't own a switch but want to buy one for Dread ... and DQ11S. Not sure if I want to buy a Lite or try my best to hunt down the OLED model. ATM I'm leaning towards the Lite but I'm worried about it accommodating my grown ass man hands.

Any grown ass men with man hands here with a Lite? I need your help.

Bragr

Banned
I don't own a switch but want to buy one for Dread ... and DQ11S. Not sure if I want to buy a Lite or try my best to hunt down the OLED model. ATM I'm leaning towards the Lite but I'm worried about it accommodating my grown ass man hands.

Any grown ass men with man hands here with a Lite? I need your help.
It's not too bad but you really should go with a Switch with a dock, it's a lot better to play on TV, and the joystick drift shit will kill your lite, instead of being replaceable on the other models.

Marty-McFly

Banned
88 after 50 reviews :messenger_sunglasses:

I'd say it's the best game on Switch with BOTW and one of the greatest 2D games ever but I'm satisfied with the scores. I figured more haters would show up and the couple that have are obscure nobodies.

This game should easily sell the most in Metroid history and then some.

Fbh

I'd rate it a 7 or an 8 personally. The gameplay improvements were pretty huge, in terms of aiming and the parry.

To me it was a solid 7.
Not bad but nothing too great either, a game that wouldn't have made much of a buzz if it didn't have Metroid in the name.

Wouldn't personally put it on the same pedestal as Symphony of the Night, Ori and the Will of Wisps or Hollow Knight as the Metascore would suggest

Last edited:
Top Bottom