• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Reviews

SyjYpUp.png

Mental Illness

I think the best way to put it is that in don't want to be derided for dying

I want to be rewarded for progressing

Naughty Dog games do this so well. They hardly ever make you feel like you're going to lose progress when you die. I never feel like a game mechanic is fucking me over in a Naughty Dog game

Last edited:
Nothing…It is awesome! Also most who criticized it had never played the original Return of Samus.

The original was a Gameboy title and was a product of that. I have a lot of memories of getting lost in the repetitive environments back in the day. SR did a good job of fleshing out the world of SR-388 but the combat was lackluster.

I didn't like the over-reliance on the parry mechanic, to me it hurt the game and made the combat feel repetitive. Hopefully Dread offers a little more freedom in how you fight enemies.

It turned enemy encounters into a waiting game that always ends in a parry/one-volley kill. Boss fights were me just standing in front of them waiting/baiting for an attack, parry, watch mini-cutscene, repeat. Even basic enemies all required you use the parry to get by them quickly. It was a bit forced in my opinion. The Diggernaut was probably my favorite boss because it actually required the use of other abilities like the spider ball, bombs and some precise jumping.

carlosrox

Banned
I always wonder if people can actually articulate what it would take to pass Super Metroid in their minds so that the game can't just sit on a pedestal forever.

Honestly I really think it's the music and sound design. It's the one thing that is clearly above all other games in the series.

Every sound and music track in the game is perfection.

People should never sleep on amazing sound design in games. It can be crucial.

For me it's really the one thing I feel is next to impossible to surpass, especially since those sounds and music are only possible with the SNES sound chip and we all know how damn amazing that thing was. SNES audio design is godly.

Prime games came very close with the music though since the same composer was there and clearly still going for a very similar sound.

I was surprised to learn that the same composer was involved with Samus Returns. I loved Samus Returns music, don't get me wrong, but again, it still just doesn't hit the same tone that Super or Prime did. Those games were a lot more melodic. Stuff like Brinstar or Crateria in particular are really hard to get these days. Modern game music seems content with more low key compositions.

Belthazar

Wasn't Samus Returns like an 85 or something? I hated that one. I guess this will be another case where my opinion doesn't match with the consensus... As it looks like it was designed in a very similar manner to SR.

Honestly I really think it's the music and sound design. It's the one thing that is clearly above all other games in the series.

Every sound and music track in the game is perfection.

People should never sleep on amazing sound design in games. It can be crucial.

For me it's really the one thing I feel is next to impossible to surpass, especially since those sounds and music are only possible with the SNES sound chip and we all know how damn amazing that thing was. SNES audio design is godly.

Prime games came very close with the music though since the same composer was there and clearly still going for a very similar sound.

I was surprised to learn that the same composer was involved with Samus Returns. I loved Samus Returns music, don't get me wrong, but again, it still just doesn't hit the same tone that Super or Prime did. Those games were a lot more melodic. Stuff like Brinstar or Crateria in particular are really hard to get these days. Modern game music seems content with more low key compositions.

I don't really remember much about Metroid 1 because I only only played it at ToysRus/friends

But loved everything about Prime 1

I was 25 when I ran through Prime. That last boss was fucking insane

Last edited:

tommib

Right. I didn't play Samus Returns but I've always thought that Mercury Steam is a good studio that gets dog piled for whatever reason. I only played Castlevania LOS but I thought that was a great game. I guess what I'm getting at is, they usually work with IPs that aren't their own but seem to always do a quality job, I know fans are torn over certain things they've released but it's not like their games are ugly or filled with jank.
Dare I say it’s because they’re Spanish and not Japanese? The exoticism disappears with them being south European for some people.

Dr Bass

I always wonder if people can actually articulate what it would take to pass Super Metroid in their minds so that the game can't just sit on a pedestal forever. I don't think it should be considered that impossible to beat a SNES game. What is SNES still better in, story and level design? Because it's not better in combat gameplay or graphics. Sounds like this has better boss fights too.
Why can't a SNES game be better in gameplay? The gameplay and controls in Super Metroid are complete perfection. So is the structure of the game, the soundtrack, and pretty much everything about it. That's why it's hard to "beat". Just because it was made in 1994 doesn't mean it can easily be beaten, just like The Godfather was made in the 70s but there aren't really "better movies" out there. Should that movie not "sit on a pedestal forever" because of it's age if it's not actually "surpassed" by something?

You mentioned above you had a special dislike of "Metroid purists" but I am wondering what you mean by that? To make a better Metroid game than SM you would probably need to have something bigger in scope, with more intricate level design, that can actually be deciphered and figured out, while not getting mentally lost. Maybe a larger number of upgrades that don't end up feeling like gimmicks (hard to do) and visuals/atmosphere that raise the bar for the genre. It can be done, but Nintendo doesn't seem to care to do it.

So yeah, Super Metroid hasn't been surpassed yet in the category because no game has a better design/gameplay/atmosphere. It's one of my favorite genres and games like Hollow Knight, or the Ori games simply don't measure up for so many reasons that I don't want to get into. I was hoping Dread would be "better" but I'll be happy with just a good entry.

tommib

God, I love the gymnastics video game players will go through to not have an ounce of objectivity.
I’ve heard this man, IRL. “Metroid will never be the same until it’s picked up by a Japanese dev”. It’s fucked but it’s what it is.

Why can't a SNES game be better in gameplay? The gameplay and controls in Super Metroid are complete perfection.
I personally don't think it's better at all in the combat-gameplay, which is what I said. Adding a parry, and 360 aiming are both nearly objective improvements. In terms of actual gameplay, and control, I don't think Super Metroid is the best compared to newer entries. In my mind, it would have to win in other categories (level design, sound design, story, use of abilities in the environment, secrets, etc.). I also don't think SM is better in terms of graphics.

You mentioned above you had a special dislike of "Metroid purists" but I am wondering what you mean by that?
I mean that Metroid purists (and by complete coincidence, Symphony of the Night purists) have conducted themselves online many times in nasty ways that make me angry.

A lot of these people acted like the only valid Castlevania game is a SOTN style game, despite Castlevania being around for a lot longer than that and Lords of Shadow modeling many aspects of its design off of Super Castlevania. Previous games by Mercury Steam both in Castlevania and Metroid have been trashed by these people.

Similar sentiments were expressed by Metroid "fans" when they went out of their way to trash Other M far past anything it deserved. The game was a passion project by the creator of Metroid himself - was the best looking game on Wii by far graphically with high budget CG cutscenes as well, great gameplay with a fun dodge addition and free aiming in first person. The story is not the best, but that's really the only substantial flaw in my opinion. Similar reaction to Federation Force, which is actually one of the best portable system FPS games ever made at the time (tied with maybe Killzone Mercenary). Had great gyro control, co-op puzzle elements, and was fun. Made by Next Level Games that always put out quality stuff. Rather than support Samus Returns returning to the 2D they were demanding, many advocated ignoring the game in favor of a fan made game instead, further marginalizing the original creator working on his own series on 3DS in favor of someone who is stealing the IP instead.

Rather than broaden their perspective enough to allow the series to evolve and try new things, they seek to trash anything that doesn't nearly 1:1 line up with old games. Even if the original creator is literally involved himself in making the new games, they will act like they know best what the series needs and what makes a "real" Metroid. Rather than treat Sakimoto like a creative artist that wants to create new things, they treat him like someone indebted to them to just perpetually create carbon copies of something he's already done for their consumption. It's arrogant, entitled, closed-minded, and has nearly ruined Metroid for decades. It's probably the most toxic fanbase out there, surpassing even Final Fantasy fans.
Hopefully they wont trash Dread since it seems to stick extremely close to the previous formula, with some smart improvements in combat and from what I hear, great boss fights.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
SotN unfortunately created a toxic divide between Metroid fans and "Metroidvania Elitists". Have a feeling they will hate Dread now but will claim they loved it when MP4 or the next Metroid comes out.

Federation Force I'll only play if it's ported to Switch because I just can't stand the 3DS controls on it to save my life. And once the Switch came out I just can't go back. : /

Dr Bass

I personally don't think it's better at all in the combat gameplay, which what I said. Adding a parry, and 360 aiming are both nearly objective improvements. In terms of actual gameplay, and control, I don't think Super Metroid is the best compared to newer entries. In my mind, it would have to win in other categories (level design, sound design, story, use of abilities in the environment, secrets, etc.). I also don't think it's better in terms of graphics.

I mean that Metroid purists (and by complete coincidence, Symphony of the Night purists) have conducted themselves online many times in nasty ways that make me angry.

A lot of these people acted like the only valid Castlevania game is a SOTN style game, despite Castlevania being around for a lot longer than that and Lords of Shadow modeling many aspects of its design off of Super Castlevania. Previous games by Mercury Steam both in Castlevania and Metroid have been trashed by these people.

Similar sentiments expressed by Metroid "fans" when they went out of their way to trash Other M far past anything it deserved. The game was a passion project by the creator of Metroid himself - was the best looking game on Wii by far graphically with high budget CG cutscenes as well, great gameplay with a fun dodge addition and free aiming in first person. The story is not the best, but that's really the only substantial flaw in my opinion. Similar reaction to Federation Force, which is actually one of the best portable system FPS games ever made at the time (tied with maybe Killzone Mercenary). Had great gyro control, co-op puzzle elements, and was fun. Made by Next Level Games that always put out quality stuff.

Rather than broaden their perspective enough to allow the series to evolve and try new things, they seek to trash anything that doesn't nearly 1:1 line up with old games. Even if the original creator is literally involved himself in making the new games, they will act like they know best what the series needs and what makes a "real" Metroid. Rather than treat Sakimoto like a creative artist that wants to create new things, they treat him like some indebted to them to just perpetually create carbon copies of something he's already done for their consumption. It's arrogant, closed-minded, and has nearly ruined Metroid for decades. It's probably the most toxic fanbase out there, surpassing even Final Fantasy fans.
Hopefully they wont trash Dread since it seems to stick extremely close to the previous formula, with some smart improvements in combat and from what I hear, great boss fights.

Gotcha. Ok a couple notes from my perspective. I don't think the 360 aiming is an "objective" improvement personally. That's one problem I had with Samus Returns. The issue is it actually slows down combat IMO because it requires a new level of precision that feels clunky to aim (IMO). The shoulder buttons being able to aim in diagonals, while being able to aim straight up with both buttons pressed is sheer perfection for a 2D shooter IMO. You can basically cover that same 360 degrees with enough precision but you're able to do it all instantly, while ALSO running and jumping because your thumb can be on the action buttons and not the aiming stick. It's simple faster and more engaging I think to engage in combat that way. From the small bits of Dread I've seen it looks like the 360 aiming is back, so I am not actually looking forward to that bit.

I hear what you mean about "purists" but I didn't realize that was such a thing online. I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow 1, and I really wanted Other M to succeed. I actually think that style of Metroid game would be awesome with some more care and less "the baby" (ugh, the one thing that really annoyed me in that game, was the bizarre story and voice overs). I loved the 3D view and feeling of exploration. I also thought Returnal laid the groundwork really well for what a modern day Metroid could be if it that style of control/gameplay was centered more around exploration and not the rogue-like setup.

So I guess I don't fall into your purist bucket, but I get what you mean. That a certain game can only be one thing. I definitely do not agree with that viewpoint and really believe in the idea "you can't go home again". People wanting the same thing are actually wanting the same feeling they got from that original game. It just won't happen because part of that feeling was a result of playing something fresh and unexpected. That's actually one reason I was so excited for Other M, and I did have some fun with it.

I think one of the strengths of Castlevania and Metroid is that they CAN be so many things. And yes Castlevania started out as a pure action game. Totally wouldn't mind seeing that again.

Anyway, don't need anyone to agree with me and I don't think you're wrong either. Not that you need to care what I think. :messenger_beaming:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lol, it's not going to affect your enjoyment. It's an arbitrary numerical value some person, somewhere has pulled out of their hat to indicate how many enjoyment points out of 100 they would assign to playing the game.

I think it's time for a different approach, especially if you're not a fan of the genre

I just like the Metacritic Must Play Seal.

I would assign about 5 tiers:

Unplayable
Could get better
This is actually pretty fun
Really fucking good
Essential

Numerical values are only useful for aggregation purposes

Also, a lot of games fluctuate between the game itself

Last edited:

Jeeves

I always wonder if people can actually articulate what it would take to pass Super Metroid in their minds so that the game can't just sit on a pedestal forever. I don't think it should be considered that impossible to beat a SNES game. What is SNES still better in, story and level design? Because it's not better in combat gameplay or graphics. Sounds like this has better boss fights too.
I'll preface by saying that while I don't think Super is severely overrated, I don't think it's unassailable either and personally I go back and forth on whether I prefer it or Fusion.

If I had to nail down the secret sauce that makes Super distinct from the other games, I'd point to the audiovisual experience. The art style is beautiful, walking a fine line between gritty and cartoony. It's detailed but still leaves enough for your imagination to fill in. Looking at the scenery gives your brain a lot to chew on.

The audio like carlosrox carlosrox was saying is doing a lot of heavy lifting as well. The sound effects are nice and chunky and make all of your actions satisfying. The enemies sound alien and fearsome. The music compositions are great to listen to even in isolation from the game.

Speedrunning aside, most players are spending a lot of time in the game world traversing familiar areas and searching diligently for secrets or the path forward. It's important to have the right tone and atmosphere to accompany the player during the game's ample "downtime" so that they savor spending that time rather than grow bored. It's all subjective but I think Super arguably provides the best audiovisual experience in the series.

So I guess I don't fall into your purist bucket, but I get what you mean. That a certain game can only be one thing. I definitely do not agree with that viewpoint and really believe in the idea "you can't go home again". People wanting the same thing are actually wanting the same feeling they got from that original game
I think that's a very insightful point sir, and great reply!

Bragr

Banned
Why can't a SNES game be better in gameplay? The gameplay and controls in Super Metroid are complete perfection. So is the structure of the game, the soundtrack, and pretty much everything about it. That's why it's hard to "beat". Just because it was made in 1994 doesn't mean it can easily be beaten, just like The Godfather was made in the 70s but there aren't really "better movies" out there. Should that movie not "sit on a pedestal forever" because of it's age if it's not actually "surpassed" by something?

You mentioned above you had a special dislike of "Metroid purists" but I am wondering what you mean by that? To make a better Metroid game than SM you would probably need to have something bigger in scope, with more intricate level design, that can actually be deciphered and figured out, while not getting mentally lost. Maybe a larger number of upgrades that don't end up feeling like gimmicks (hard to do) and visuals/atmosphere that raise the bar for the genre. It can be done, but Nintendo doesn't seem to care to do it.

So yeah, Super Metroid hasn't been surpassed yet in the category because no game has a better design/gameplay/atmosphere. It's one of my favorite genres and games like Hollow Knight, or the Ori games simply don't measure up for so many reasons that I don't want to get into. I was hoping Dread would be "better" but I'll be happy with just a good entry.
Huh? Super Metroid got some confusing levels, some frustrating save points and old-school shooting where you can't shoot in proper 360 but only some directions. It's certainly dated in some areas.

Dr Bass

Huh? Super Metroid got some confusing levels, some frustrating save points and old-school shooting where you can't shoot in proper 360 but only some directions. It's certainly dated in some areas.
I explained why the shooting works incredibly well IMO. How are you not able to cover a 360 degree shooting area with the controls? You have every necessary angle covered.

Don't agree about the save points and if you think the levels are "confusing," I'm not sure what to tell you ...

Bragr

Banned
I explained why the shooting works incredibly well IMO. How are you not able to cover a 360 degree shooting area with the controls? You have every necessary angle covered.

Don't agree about the save points and if you think the levels are "confusing," I'm not sure what to tell you ...
What you can tell me is that you are clouded by nostalgia. You have to line up to find the shot, they weren't able to do proper 360 controls back them, and it shows, especially with Dread where it feels so much better to aim.

Unironically love this commercial and the music in it.

SPACE HANTA, SAM SARAN!

BABY METROIDO!

SUPER FAMICOM SOFTO!!

There is something so delicious about Japanese pronouncing English.

Edit: Whoa I just found this. Cool!

Why is everything pronounced in Japanese, then the main subject said in Japenesey English?

Super Hanto Softo

Supaaa Meturoid

Why not just be all Japanese?

Always baffles me

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Yeah Japanese definitely think it's cool when they speak English and I love how they pronounce stuff. The love is mutual!

So what's going on with the OT for this game? Shouldn't it be up by now?

Top Bottom