• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Password "Engage Ridley Mother F*cker" Breaking 3DS NES Metroid

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wasnt the Wii opened with a String buffer overflow?

TheNatural

My Member!
I took the old video out, because it wasn't from the 3DS version, kept the 3DS one in, if anyone dares to try it and can say if anything happens to theirs. :p

bubnbob

Banned
Green Scar said:
What the... how the fuck did people even find this out?

"Engage Ridley Mother Fucker" was an old code found in the NES metroid that makes the game wacked out and broken. So people entered it here for giggles. It crashes the 3DS.

YT this stuff, guys.

Maybe someone just really wanted to skip to Ridley

oh, I was wondering what it did to the original game too, well this explains it

AbsoluteZero said:
Um...a similar thread title got salsashark banned, just a heads up.
for the curse word?

How could they find out such a random password? Has to be an inside job lol
Edit: ahh ok, answered above!

Azure J

TheNatural said:
Apparently typing this code into the version of Metroid Nintendo gave away free in the Nintendo Ambassador program, caused the game to completely fuck up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQ7SjB_6a8&feature=player_embedded

Now people on some hacking boards are speculating that it's a buffer overflow could be used to hack the 3DS. What the hell?

Please God, tell me this is an elaborate hoax. That passcode is the stuff of legends. Years from now people will be singing its praises when they remember how they "broke open" the 3DS:

"Hey how did you homebrew your 3DS?"

"Just ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER"

I'm sad because I've entertained the thought many times that the Ambassador games would lead to a hack. I thought it'd be interesting if only first time 3DS buyers were able to hack their systems.

TheNatural

My Member!
Cobra84 said:
Crashes the real game too.

Ah okay, I didn't know if the old video was a hoax so I took it out. The 3DS one was recorded showing what happens, maybe I'll find some more in a sec.

If this crashes the entire emulator (as it seems to by the frozen scren at the bottom), couldn't it be the first possible window into running "Hello world!" homebew on the 3DS?

If such an overflow can be achieved, and this version of Metroid is only available to ambassadors, it raises the tantilising if minute possibility of only Ambassador 3DS's with Metroid being able to (possibly in the distant future) run region-free homebew.

May have been worth being an early adopter after all.

Geneijin

AzureJericho said:
Please God, tell me this is an elaborate hoax. That passcode is the stuff of legends. Years from now people will be singing its praises when they remember how they "broke open" the 3DS:

I can see the potential already.

Mama Robotnik said:
If this crashes the entire emulator (as it seems to by the frozen scren at the bottom), couldn't it be the first possible window into running "Hello world!" homebew on the 3DS?

If such an overflow can be achieved, and this version of Metroid is only available to ambassadors, that raises the tantilising if minute possibility of only Ambassador 3DS's with Metroid being able to (possibly in the distant future) run region-free homebew.
What would 3DS homebrew allow? Just to play region-exclusive games? how many of them are there that are good... doesn't seem worth it.

shuri

Banned
Is this confirmed or is this some sort of weird desperate attempt at viral marketing stuff from 'Nintendo embassadors' that are actually taking the role seriously?

Clipper

Seriously, people that think that crashing the system=buffer overflow exploit are fools. You need to inject code as well to successfully perform a buffer overflow. Crashing the system is not enough. Metroid would need to have a save file in order for it to be exploitable, or at least allow arbitrarily long passwords, which it doesn't.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
abstract alien said:
I hope it wasn't some sort of odd inside job shenanigans. Its just weird as hell...

It seems that way, who could have figured it out just like that? It seems before the roms were put out on the E-STORE someone tampered with them to give the hacking community a heads up and leaked the info in the process.

Ephemeris

AzureJericho said:

haha, my sentiments exactly.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How does Nintendo intend to update the ROMs into the complete versions? I vaguely remember the process being somewhat automatic, if so this amusing discovery might not last long enough to yield any worthwhile results.

Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong.

Clipper said:
Seriously, people that think that crashing the system=buffer overflow exploit are fools. You need to inject code as well to successfully perform a buffer overflow. Crashing the system is not enough. Metroid would need to have a save file in order for it to be exploitable.

I was just thinking out loud, and am happy to be proven wrong. In fairness I did say it was only a "minute" chance, perhaps I didn't understand how minute.

Doesn't the 3DS NES emulator use savestates? Would that count as a save file of sorts?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Heavy said:
What would 3DS homebrew allow? Just to play region-exclusive games? how many of them are there that are good... doesn't seem worth it.

Unfortunately if it gets cracked for homebrew, pirates will probably take that work and make it do you know what.

And Region free is ALWAYS a good thing.

Tagg9

Pretty sure that VC titles are launched with restricted access to CPU and memory. I don't think any legitimate hacks will come of this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
VOOK said:
Unfortunately if it gets cracked for homebrew, pirates will probably take that work and make it do you know what.

And Region free is ALWAYS a good thing.

At least 3DS would be the best selling console on NPD

Hah, it works, that's funny. Total 3DS hang as far as I can tell, other than holding the Power button. It even takes extra time to shut down if you do that.

Top Bottom