• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Password "Engage Ridley Mother F*cker" Breaking 3DS NES Metroid

fernoca

Jinfash said:
How does Nintendo intend to update the ROMs into the complete versions? I vaguely remember the process being somewhat automatic, if so this amusing discovery might not last long enough to yield any worthwhile results.

Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong.
You need to redownload them, when they're officially released. So basically, the same way. Go to your downloads list and redownload. (at least at the moment, more details later :p)

Maybe that's part of the reason this password crashes the game, or maybe Nintendo "fixed" that that way, since the password in the end does nothing. :p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wario64 said:
At least 3DS would be the best selling console on NPD

I know you're sorta kidding, but yeah once a system is crack hardware sales do tend to go up. -.-

If it does end up allowing an exploit, I am betting Nintendo is going to be really reactionary this time.

They had to move on from the DS because third parties were complaining about piracy. Letting it come in here would really kind of fuck them.

I imagine Sony is going to be just as reactionary.

KuGsj.gif

that would suck if homebrew hacks were only possible for Ambassadors because of this code
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Ydahs

For anyone with the game, does this work with slight variations of the code? Still wondering how it can be a buffer overflow if the buffer is meant to accept that many characters.

Also shows a slight flaw in the emulation, considering it didn't work exactly as the original (or the emulator probably has error control).

When "Engage Ridley" is put into Metroid, it breaks the game. When Samus Engaged Ridley in Metroid: Other M, it broke the entire series. Eerie.

M3d10n

Clipper said:
Seriously, people that think that crashing the system=buffer overflow exploit are fools. You need to inject code as well to successfully perform a buffer overflow. Crashing the system is not enough. Metroid would need to have a save file in order for it to be exploitable, or at least allow arbitrarily long passwords, which it doesn't.
It has a save file: all VC games save the full game state when you exit them. However, everything the 3DS writes to the SD card is encrypted using a key that is unique to each unit, so you cannot load tampered save files.

Ydahs said:
Also shows a slight flaw in the emulation, considering it didn't work exactly as the original (or the emulator probably has error control).
If anyone read Ars' article on BSNES, they should know that accurate emulation uses lots, lots of resources. In the actual hardware it seems that password causes the game to read data from outside the NES ROM limits, resulting in garbage. In the 3DS emulator, it seems to hit a place in RAM that belongs to the emulator itself, triggering a crash.

Clipper

I will stake my reputation as an actual homebrew developer on the Wii to say this:

This is not an exploit and will not become an exploit. There's no code injection. There's no way to get it to run unsigned code. This will likely not even be patched.

M3d10n said:
It has a save file: all VC games save the full game state when you exit them. However, everything the 3DS writes to the SD card is encrypted using a key that is unique to each unit, so you cannot load tampered save files.
Yeah, I thought of that one while I wrote my post. There's also the fact that the state save is not seen by the code running Metroid at all. It has nothing to do with the password entry screen and certainly doesn't allow you to increase the size of the password.

KScorp

So, it's specifically "Engage ridley mother fucker"? There's absolutely no way this crash is unique to this password, but that's hilarious anyway.

That can't be the only password that does that, right?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Heavy said:
What would 3DS homebrew allow? Just to play region-exclusive games? how many of them are there that are good... doesn't seem worth it.

You're kidding right? Dude this could be awesome, we always get the shaft in North-America when it comes to Eastern games.

Randomizer said:
Don't you mean rock? Early adapters redeemed!

Next thing you know, nobody updates their 3DS and waits for the custom firmware.

AzureJericho said:
Please God, tell me this is an elaborate hoax. That passcode is the stuff of legends. Years from now people will be singing its praises when they remember how they "broke open" the 3DS:

"Hey how did you homebrew your 3DS?"

"Just ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER"

Oh Shit, Senran Kagura seems so close now.

Thank You Based Ridley Muhfucka!!!!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
fernoca said:
You need to redownload them, when they're officially released. So basically, the same way. Go to your downloads list and redownload. (at least at the moment, more details later :p)

Maybe that's part of the reason this password crashes the game, or maybe Nintendo "fixed" that that way, since the password in the end does nothing. :p
Ah, I kinda figured "automatic updates" were almost too good to be true lol.

As always, thanks. You're too good to me~

Smiles and Cries said:
KuGsj.gif

that would suck if homebrew hacks were only possible for Ambassadors because of this code
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Clipper's confirmed that it ain't on the cards, but god damn would it be funny. The only potentially region-free 3DS's being for Ambasadors! Now that would be a reward worth celebrating.

(I would of course prefer everyone get a chance at homebrewing away the stupid region controls that plague the 3DS, hopefully one day)

fernoca

Sammy Samusu said:
Engage Ridley Mother Fucker, seriously Nintendo?
Don't know why "seriously Nintendo". Heck, if anything they were aware of this and put it so by using that password it crashed the game. :p

This amuses me much more than it probably should XD

Heavy said:
What would 3DS homebrew allow? Just to play region-exclusive games? how many of them are there that are good... doesn't seem worth it.

Yet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My bet is that it is just crashing the emulator, and doubt they will be able to make any exploit out of it.

Zomba13

Why would you do that? said:
What's funny is that I searched Google and found this thread, also started by him, also containing that word, never edited. It was on the front page for a while. I wonder why the change of heart...
Seems swears are no longer allowed in thread titles ("Your 'Fuck Yeah...' moment of the day" thread being renamed to "Your 'Awesome...' moment of the day") Wonder how long until the google overlords stop us from swearing inside the threads?

Anyway, hope this leads to homebrew/CFW. Would love to have a region free 3DS see as we're getting screwed with region stuff already (NA exclusive Layton's London Life as an example).

ampere

Clipper seems to be the only one posting in this thread with knowledge on the topic, so hold off on the freakout and read his posts.

This video is from 2009, other versions of Metroid were glitched by this code as well.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Mama Robotnik said:
Clipper's confirmed that it ain't on the cards, but god damn would it be funny. The only potentially region-free 3DS's being for Ambasadors! Now that would be a reward worth celebrating.
The most delicious tears to ever exist would be shed on the day of that news.

Azure J

Mama Robotnik said:
When "Engage Ridley" is put into Metroid, it breaks the game. When Samus Engaged Ridley in Metroid: Other M, it broke the entire series. Eerie.

God damn, I was waiting so long for something like this. :lol

Clipper said:
I will stake my reputation as an actual homebrew developer on the Wii to say this:

This is not an exploit and will not become an exploit. There's no code injection. There's no way to get it to run unsigned code. This will likely not even be patched.

Yeah, I thought of that one while I wrote my post. There's also the fact that the state save is not seen by the code running Metroid at all. It has nothing to do with the password entry screen and certainly doesn't allow you to increase the size of the password.
The Japanese Metroid actually has save files. If the save data could somehow be accessed or tampered with, perhaps it could actually lead to something, maybe. But of course, the saves are signed, so yeah.

However, Team Twiizers has an undisclosed way of signing DSiWare games (used in Sudokuhax). I wonder how easy or hard it'll be to do the same thing with the 3DS.

Sennorin

Banned
Ugh, I really hate when people are kinda looking forward to a system being exploited. Yeah, yeah, you´re just an innocent homebrew guy, but *you´re a minority*. What the majority will do with a successfully hacked system can be seen with the NDS. But I want a successful 3DS that gives me lots of high quality games, so I hope it´ll take a looong time for a real exploit becoming available. :/

M3d10n

Clipper said:
For the emulator itself to crash (not only the game being emulated), the game obviously tried to either read from or write to areas outside the buffers which hold the ROM and the NES RAM.

However, the fact that the emulator crashed outright, without any side-effect misbehavior might be a sign that 3DS software use some level of memory protection, which would halt execution if the game tried to read/write to memory marked containing code, as example.

Let's remember something here: people can run unsigned DSi-mode code on the DSi using various methods but so far nobody managed to hack the firmware itself.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dug said:
That was originally in the OP, but he took it out.

Yeah, when it was done in the past it didn't lock up the system though. People are saying if you take a SD card out, since the games are apparently saved on there it may prompt you to go to the Home page and take a long time getting there. It probably won't lead to anything, but it's interesting it crashes the system and you have to do a hard reset or maybe take the SD Card or to fix it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sennorin said:
Ugh, I really hate when people are kinda looking forward to a system being exploited. Yeah, yeah, you´re just an innocent homebrew guy, but *you´re a minority*. What the majority will do with a successfully hacked system can be seen with the NDS. But I want a successful 3DS that gives me lots of high quality games, so I hope it´ll take a looong time for a real exploit becoming available. :/

I want the system to succeed as well Sennorin, however, I also want to play games that have been blocked by the architect for reasons which I cannot bear.
I am sure there will be other region games you will be itching to play on the 3DS in the future.

Sennorin said:

Nintendo made the choice for me when they region-locked the 3DS. As a consequence I encourage and support any and all exploits and homebrew that will open up the machine. In fact, I can't wait for it to be cracked so I can import titles, saving me money if the UK prices are inflated and generally opening up an eventual wider range of software that may not be localised.

Nintendo made a stupid choice to implement region controls and if the consequence is eventually widespread hacking just to get games from other regions working, its entirely their own fault.

Top Bottom