• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 - Game delayed, development completely restarted, Retro Studios now working on it

ZeroGravity

While it's appreciated that they're being upfront about this, I cannot believe how terribly they've mismanaged one of their most anticipated games.

The Shepard

Retro should have been on it in the first place imo, hopefully we get the Trilogy in the mean time. I honestly think it's more likely now.

Kyle8497

What? They weren't originally getting tips on making a Prime from Retro and now they decide to after starting from scratch?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, fuck. I don't know why you wouldn't include Retro from the beginning. We were never gonna see MP4 this year, but at this rate it's going to be 2021 minimum. Huge shame, but at least it's in proper hands now rather than rushing out something half-baked.

Last edited:

Ivellios

This is actually great news, even If comes 3-4 years later i actually trust Retro Studios to make this game excellent

Deft Beck

Bandai Namco Singapore must have really not been up to snuff.

I'm happy that Retro is getting another chance. Rumors said that their projects were not doing so well and that they were on the verge of shutting down. Maybe this will be their swan song.

Inviusx

Interesting announcement. Now I'm hoping one day we get to see what state the cancelled version was in.

Raph64

I clearly wasn’t expecting this kind of news to happen without warning.

I mean I’m glad they got Retro back at helm, but we still don’t know what they’ve been doing prior to the development update.

And honestly, how can Nintendo misnage one of their most anticipated releases ?

Last edited:

Shifty

200w.gif

I guess if you think about it, this is Nintendo giving the fans what they've been asking for this whole time.

On the other hand, my confidence in this game's development cycle just crashed through the floor. We're gonna be waiting a while.

Raph64

Welp, here’s to another 3-4 years of patience at least.

At least the game is back in good hands now.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey Nintendo

Here is an idea:

How about you stupid fucks put the original trilogy on the Switch in full 1080p/60fps. Fans have been requesting an upgrade for a while it's now time to deliver.

Give someone (like me) who has abandoned Nintendo a good reason to come back.

The first Metroid Prime is one of my all time best gaming experiences ever and IMO was the best title on the gamecube.

Last edited:

Raph64

Hey Nintendo

Here is an idea:

How about you stupid fucks put the original trilogy on the Switch in full 1080p/60fps. Fans have been requesting an upgrade for a while it's now time to deliver.

The first Metroid Prime is one of my all time best gaming experiences ever and IMO was the best title on the gamecube.

This.

Not re-releasing those games while waiting for MP4 would definitely be a no-brainer for Ninty.

Maguro

Hey Nintendo

Here is an idea:

But please with pro controller support. The only reason why i haven't played part 3 is because it's switch only.

iconmaster

Banned
Hahahaha wow.

Nintendo’s straightforwardness on this is very refreshing, but it’s time to forget this game exists for a while.

Maybe port Samus Returns to Switch in the meantime, Nintendo?

This is why you
A. don't announce games with nothing but a logo
B. don't get excited over game logo announcements
This. Development had only barely started when the game was first announced, and now this happens.

My biggest question is: What has Retro been up to these last few years and is that even going to result in an actual game we can play?

DonF

I was so hyped with the video title. Amazing. I love Nintendo and Japanese business culture. This will most likely impact their share value, but in the long run it's going to be better.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I'm like, totally angry at this, but at the same time, totally not? I hate that I've got even LONGER to wait, but my boys at Retro are now working on it, meaning that it likely will hit all the right notes.

A wise man once uttered a rushed game is forever bad, but a delayed game... You know the rest.

So, it breaks my heart. It really does. But at the same time...…… fuck yes.

Raph64

This. Development had only barely started when the game was first announced, and now this happens.

My biggest question is: What has Retro been up to these last few years and is that even going to result in an actual game we can play?

Yeah like I hope we’ll get to know what game have they been making before handling back MP4 development.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is my surprised face:
giphy.gif

Nintendo (Sakamoto specifically) has held a grudge against Retro for a while now, probably because they did a Metroid series more popular than Nintendo's own efforts. It should've been in Retro's hands from the start.

Maybe Nintendo realizes they've been treating the franchise like shit? One can hope.

CuNi

A part of me is sad because I had this game very high on the list of games that would make me buy a switch this year and also I have been looking forward to having a MP game to play again after such a long time.
But I think overall I am more happy than sad, as Retro has proven to deliver on quality and gameplay fun, and they also nailed the feeling of exploring ancient ruins and being alone perfectly in the first 2 Prime games.
I guess knowing we can expect a better product made by a studio that already has delivered the last few times is better than just hearing development restarted and that being it.

Bamco not delivering? SHOCKER! :messenger_smirking:

Now give us Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch as an apology, with proper pro ontroller support and multiple control options including classic (Gamecube), twinstick,. and even gyro.

Mochilador

The current team (who was it?) did a shitty job and now they are restarting the whole project.
It would be pretty funny if this ends up as a cross-gen title like Zelda BotW.

Last edited:

JCK75

It's both disappointing and relieving at the same time, Bandai Namco as the dev just never set right with me, they don't seem properly suited to handle the franchise, I'll accept waiting longer for it knowing how much better it will be now that it's back in the proper hands of Retro.

Agree with earlier sentiments they can make this right by giving us prime trilogy on switch.

Rodolink

Holy cow! restarting development! thats a very big deal. I guess the game was going through a doomed direction like Metroid Other M. They should've gone with Retro Studios since the beginning. Don't expect the game coming soon, although I think they'll reuse assets.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Killer751 when this news drops 6 days before his posting ban ends

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Namco should stick to making light gun games instead of fps ones. I actually wouldn't mind a Metroid light gun game. I mean if pinball works I don't see why not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Makes you think, just how bad the development was going with the other team... I mean, this wasn't an easy decision to make. Nintendo are utter horse shit when it comes to supporting legacy titles like Metroid, because its NOT a number 1 game for them. So for them to do this... Wow... I hope something gets leaked. I'm guessing they saw the other team was making something more in line with Other M, that is changing far too much of the original, when all they had to do was, well, make the original again in a new location. Seriously, people go to Metroid because they want to find themselves stripped of everything, then need to find it all again. Its isolation in a lonely location, less chatter, more splatter, finding rockets in rocks and shit that doesn't make any sense. Once you bring it into the new line of gaming, where everything has to have an explanation, followed by 20 side characters and 16 hours of cutscene.... Its no longer Metroid.

Hopefully they saw this, and actually gave it some thought this time. But I do hope we see some leaks.

I also badly, badly need that Trilogy port as well. That's a far in the ocean for a decent dev team to pull off, and would make them shit loads of greenback. Do it, Nintendo. Find your balls and put something on your system that wont give me cute over load diabeetus….

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So whats comes out first now? This or ff7

Pretty sure FF7 released back in 1997. Go nuts.

---------------------

On topic. I'm happy they came out and were upfront and honest with their community. I respect that greatly. It's a step up from how Square Enix handled XV. A bad game is bad forever. They can take all the time they need. And if it's anything like what we got with Breath of the Wild being delayed it will be truly something great.

I'm adding nothing to this thread other than echoing the sentiment that this is shitty news but also good news and Nintendo should give us trilogy while we wait. Really sucks because we aren't getting anything until at least 2021.

Though I would like to say while announcing the game early seems like a bad idea in hindsight, keep in mind prior to E3 2017 everyone was losing their goddamn minds over the state of Metroid. People thought it had been completely abandoned and just the acknowledgement something was on the way was a huge relief. Also if they had kept quiet on MP4 and just shown the Samus Returns remake the vitriol would have been massive. No one is happy about a longer wait but the fanbase needed to hear that Metroid was still alive.

Last edited:

Akuza89

To be completely honest, retro should have been doing it from the beginning.

The fact that Nintendo have pulled the plug on the original version shows it must have been worse than star fox zero... because if that game can make it.... Well..

Regardless I'm happy that retro are back on board.

RPGCrazied

Ouch. Well its nice they got the original developers to work on it, this game isn't coming out until 2021 at the earliest. Lame. No excuse now not to remaster the trilogy for the switch. I fully expect that now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We’re talking about Metrod tho, which is kind of a bid deal for many people here...
Yeah, the games are available on GameCube and Wii, so if it is a big deal, you can get it right now. Nintendo probably loses two more new games through this recent development (Retro Studio's current project and the first version of Metroid Prime 4), even more old stuff will not make up for that in my eyes. If I want to play Metroid Prime 1-3 I have ample opportunities to do that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This news sucks, but hey, they are with Retro now. Hopefully this also means a Trilogy will come.

I guess now its a late 2020 title at the least.

I hugely appreciate their personal message though. They are upfront about it and sincere. A rarity in this industry.

Owari

Ouch. Well its nice they got the original developers to work on it, this game isn't coming out until 2021 at the earliest. Lame. No excuse now not to remaster the trilogy for the switch. I fully expect that now.
By the time a remaster trilogy is officially released for Switch, Switch will have GameCube emulation at full FPS. Nintendo is slipping.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
To be completely honest, retro should have been doing it from the beginning.

The fact that Nintendo have pulled the plug on the original version shows it must have been worse than star fox zero... because if that game can make it.... Well..

Regardless I'm happy that retro are back on board.
I really don't understand what went wrong. Why couldn't they just do this again instead of the garbage controls in Zero?

Top Bottom