• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4: What in tarnation is going on? It hasn't even been a blimp on the radar since that dummy title screen at E3 2017

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Remember when posters were saying Dread would sell like 10mil copies? Sidebar, I know, but Metroid just doesn't match what the fans think it should, so no blimps should be expected.
If Dread was more than mid, it could have sold more than 3ish. Not 10, but 5ish maybe. It really lacked innovation and something fresh to grip you to it.

That's also my worry for MP4. Yes they can do the same formula and I will love it, but I'm hoping they really rethink this like BotW.

Varteras

Gold Member
First of all, the fact that you said tarnation really rustles my jimmies. To the point, it's not coming until Switch 2 and you'll be happy about it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It’s probably hard to develop a reason why Samus has, yet again, lost all her freaking powers all over the map.
Actually, it's easy. What's hard is for people on the team who probably not even worked on original Prime games (cuz a lot of veterans left the studio long time ago) to make a worthy and modern successor. I bet it's the harderst part for them to overcome during development and even pre-production. It's like for DICE making Bad Company 3 right now with just as good SP campaigns as in the first two and they only have one chance at this, but there is a "small" nuance - they don't know how to do it. No pressure at all...
im-fine-everythings-fine-dw6v3g2npvp0e7i2.gif

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: amc

RCU005

I believe the reason they released Metroid Prime Remastered is to let us have the franchise on our radars.

I don’t know how long we will have to wait, but news should definitely come soon. Maybe they’ll remaster 2 and 3 beforehand, but we will get news and trailers in the meantime.

The remaster was no coincidence. Also, the redesign of Samus should indicate that they are working on it.

We are pleased to report that the next entry in the critically acclaimed "Metroid Prime" series has completed the pre-alpha conceptual phase and will be ready to begin pre-production of development within 3 cycles

hemo memo

Gold Member
I believe the reason they released Metroid Prime Remastered is to let us have the franchise on our radars.

I don’t know how long we will have to wait, but news should definitely come soon. Maybe they’ll remaster 2 and 3 beforehand, but we will get news and trailers in the meantime.

The remaster was no coincidence. Also, the redesign of Samus should indicate that they are working on it.
Yeah I think the plan is to release the remasters of 2 and 3 before 4. So to get old players up to speed and to get new players to the series like me and to ease the wait for 4. After Prime 1 remaster I would happily buy 2 and 3 remasters day one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah I think the plan is to release the remasters of 2 and 3 before 4. So to get old players up to speed and to get new players to the series like me and to ease the wait for 4. After Prime 1 remaster I would happily buy 2 and 3 remasters day one.
I think this is a plan they developed once it was clear they had to restart development and they needed to get something out of the door to keep the IP warm (like the great Metroid Dread they outsourced to Mercury Steam) and take advantage of Retro getting a new engine and tools for the Prime series on Switch together (which they can have a practical use for with the Prime remasters: they do have to dedicate some capacity away from Prime 4 but they are helping to monetise development and they have concrete easier to define milestones as they revisit their old games and define exactly what Metroid Prime 4 is).

Maybe this year we will see MP2 and MP3 remasters, possibly MP2 might be partially outsourced (they have a good technology and content pipeline going for the remasters now) and they may do MP3 to tweak and play with motion controls (to help them polish their options for MP4). So MP4 may be releasing in 2024 on Switch and Switch 2… maybe 2025 if they feel like pushing the envelope with some form of RT which Switch 2 should make possible in docked mode at least.

Last edited:

Majukun

I mean, project has been rebooted and nintendo almost never shows a game until it's very close to completion..i would be surprised if we had news tbh

LordOfChaos

It’s probably hard to develop a reason why Samus has, yet again, lost all her freaking powers all over the map.

Games be like that

I'm wondering if we'll lose all our power and stamina in tears of the kingdom again. I think the reason I was meh on the game at the start but then really liked it by the DLC is that stamina filling up and the abilities that made climbing easy. The first few dozen hours were a bit annoying without.

RAIDEN1

Wont happen until all the Prime game are remastered.
That wasn't even an issue in 2017 after the first reveal of Prime 4, now all of a sudden it appears to be a convenient road-block...as if Nintendo fans are protesting for the Prime trilogy to be made a.s.a.p...

Woopah

That wasn't even an issue in 2017 after the first reveal of Prime 4, now all of a sudden it appears to be a convenient road-block...as if Nintendo fans are protesting for the Prime trilogy to be made a.s.a.p...
In 2017 it wasn't known that Nintendo was going to remaster the first 3. And the rumours seem to point to Prime 2 and 3 not getting the same level of upgrade as 1 got.

CuNi

I literally took that survey yesterday :messenger_tears_of_joy:
MP4 is officially announced and wasn't canceled, so why shouldn't Nintendo acknowledge it?

Development was rebooted after E3 announcement, and with how late we're already in the Switch life cycle, I'd just assumed it's not going to be a switch game anymore and most likely will be ported/upgraded to be a launch title for the next console, releasing some when in 2024 or 2025 at the latest.

I don't think anyone expected this game before late 2023 after the reboot of development was announced.

peronmls

They could have been working on the Remaster since then. I don't know that for sure though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
In 2017 it wasn't known that Nintendo was going to remaster the first 3. And the rumours seem to point to Prime 2 and 3 not getting the same level of upgrade as 1 got.
I hope so. Echoes is sick!!

Top Bottom