• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Dear God No

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Im in the Phazon mines in the room with the power bomb. This invisble droid is murdering me as I cant seem to pic it up on the Thermal/Scan Visor. How do I beat it. Low on Energy, and havent saved for a while

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm sure I'm remembering correctly. There definitely is a trick. Use the purple beam's power up. it'll kill him in about 10 seconds.

If you've got it that is.

Oh and phazon mines did indeed suck.

I was just about to post that! :) Wavebuster! It homes in on it. It has been far too long since I've played... thanks for the impetus to do so again, Orin!

Mama Smurf

They were hard, it's true, but they just sucked in general. The atmosphere felt all wrong, the music wasn't as good, the level design wasn't great, I didn't feel like I was exploring...just not up to the standard of the rest of the game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
super version of the purple beam I think or something. Or at least charged up purple beam. I recall him dying in like 2 hits if done properly.

or maybe its just super missiles?

on normal difficulty, SOMETHING kills it in 2 hits I swear.

Mama Smurf said:
They were hard, it's true, but they just sucked in general. The atmosphere felt all wrong, the music wasn't as good, the level design wasn't great, I didn't feel like I was exploring...just not up to the standard of the rest of the game.

Well i think people didnt like phazon mines because of the industrial look, its not really that bad but its well, generic and compared to the other areas it just cant compete......

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I didn't like the phazon mines cuz its the one point in the game where it really did feel like an fps rather than an adventure game. And a not all that great fps either.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Like many others have said, use the super version of the wave beam. It'll eat up missles, but the shot follows him around the room automatically.

I thought it really picked up after that. They just butchered the save system in that area. There desperately needed to be a save inbetween the 2 closest save areas in there.

Mashing

Yeah that's the main issue, the save points were too far apart. Not to mention the game goes up in difficulty 10 fold during the Phazon Mines portion of the game.

it's funny you posted this because i was just at that part last night. i got killed by that guy the first time i got there and had to make way through the mines again. you have to use your power cannon and just "guess" where he is.

also, prime is an awesome game. i got the game when it first came out and completed it and i am now playing through for a second time. i forgot how immersive this game is. i hope echoes is as good (if not better) than this. retro is incredibly talented. it'd be nice if they expanded and developed more than one title at a time. it's obvious somebody down there knows what they're doing.

Vitten

If you're patient you can completely refill your energy just a few rooms before this dificult stealth guy. In the room with those flying poisonous gas thingies , just stand out of reach of the gas and keep shooting at them as they keep coming out of the walls forever... Attract the energy cells they leave behind by charging a shot and after a few minutes you should be full again.

Mama Smurf

I hear Retro are making the game as hard as it was in the European release (the hard mode in the US was the starting mode in Europe). I don't want that :( I'm not a very good gamer, I admit that, but even good gamers seem to have found some sections of the normal difficulty of Prime tough. I could never make it through that one section of the phazon mines on hard!

Luckily that was more to do with poor save points than anything else, which they can sort out, but it'd still potentially screw the game for me.

Ranger X

Don't worry man. Most games remains easy even when the develloper say such things.

Oh yeah just wanted to say that the Phazon Mines gave a good feel but it just can't beat the Pendranna Drifts design. -- this is the best Metroid zone ever.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Wave Beam + Missile Combo (Wave Buster) will wipe it out on Normal in a few seconds. Just make sure you conserve your missiles until then since it drains your ammo like a mofo. If you're on Normal, two or three well aimed Super Missiles will end the fight quickly, but if you're low on energy and aren't too sure of your manual aiming skills, go for the Wave Buster trick, as it also mostly paralyzes the bastard until it goes down.

Your reward for beating it include the Power Bombs and a lovely, lovely regenerate/save location.

Phazon Mines rocked. On Hard, it was the one part of the game that was HONESTLY challenging. So satisfying to beat!

Ramirez

I remember getting killed by this thing the first time through and not playin the game for like 2 weeks cuz I didn't wanna do all that stuff over,lol...

Phendrana>All :D

Kuroyume

Banned
The worst part in Prime was the last area before the fight with Prime where the metroids kept respawning... it made me insane. The Prime battle was incredible though...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i loved the phazon mines music. some parts did feel like generic fps but there was enough good stuff to outweigh that i thought.. esp that column with the spider ball tracks all over it.. although im just a sucker for the spider ball sound :p

Hooker

Kuroyume said:
The worst part in Prime was the last area before the fight with Prime where the metroids kept respawning... it made me insane. The Prime battle was incredible though...
Good god, those mutated metroids. I think I learned my then baby brother quite a few new curse words.

The first time I played through the game I got stuck on the very same part! I had completely forgotten about the "Wave Buster" and was going insane trying to figure out how to beat that bastard. Plus, like some ppl have already mentioned, there was no save point for agers coming up to that fight.

The second time I played through the game and got up to that bit I somehow missed getting the Wave Buster power up so I had to kill him the hard way! Grr..

Kuroyume said:

That bit was sooooooo annoying.

Also the first time I played through the game I found Metroid Prime boss incredibly hard. Took me over 6 times to beat him. Possibly close to 12. Second time through I beat him first go. Still quite challenging but no where near as bad as the first time. His second form was a bitch the first time when you had to stand in the phazon and have the right visor on to see him and use the slow arse "looking around" aiming to spot him.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mashing said:
Yeah that's the main issue, the save points were too far apart. Not to mention the game goes up in difficulty 10 fold during the Phazon Mines portion of the game.
Semjaza Azazael said:
I love the Phazon Mines. One of my favorite parts in the game, personally. It's pretty much hell on Hard though.
I thought Phazon Mines ramped the difficulty up acceptably. It wasn't like I was suddenly dying all the time when I got there. And hard mode, didn't feel all that much more difficult than the normal mode to me.

In MP2, rather than more difficulty in killing enemies and having more intelligent enemies, I want MP2 have harder puzzles and more skilled required to explore the world and reach hidden areas.

I stopped playing MP in the Phazon Mines.... I really should play it again.

Funny MP story, my dad spent 3 weeks trying to defeat Ridley, he just couldn't do it. I said I could do it (he wouldn't save it of course, he would continue to try and do it himself even if I succeeded which i respected) i did it first time. I think he was a tad annoyed. Don't u want to suck my little penis now?

andthebeatgoeson

MrPing1000 said:
I stopped playing MP in the Phazon Mines.... I really should play it again.

Funny MP story, my dad spent 3 weeks trying to defeat Ridley, he just couldn't do it. I said I could do it (he wouldn't save it of course, he would continue to try and do it himself even if I succeeded which i respected) i did it first time. I think he was a tad annoyed. Don't u want to suck my little penis now?

Eww, way to kill my morning.

Top Bottom