• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Federation Force can be "saved"

It's a spin-off. Get over yourselves.

If they had come out and said "hey this is metroid prime 4!" then yeah, tantrums abound. But here? The hate doesn't quite match up.

The thing is, after 6 years of waiting, people only get this spin off. Theres no problem with spin offs. Theres a problem with dead series being back 6 years later with a spin off. Its like coming like to someone's birthday with a chewing gum as a gift.

Honestly, nothing about this game as is appeals to me in any way shape or form.

Any changes would have to be all encompassing and fundamental, and additions so massive as to be an entirely new focys just to not be dragged down by the current games dead weight, and if they were going to go in either way that far, they may as well just make a new, different game.

I mean I'm sure some people will love, but it's not for me, and never will be. The fact it could have been a Metroid game I would have wanted to play is really just an annoying side issue.

As an artist, I find this games cheap fisher price art style to be unacceptable.

The Metroid Prime series has always had good art design with weird alien environments and creatures designs.

Compare this:

ajones.gif

latest

To this:

metroid-prime-federation-force.jpg

Before any of you say it's for kids, I know me and my friends loved all that creepy cool looking style much better than this badly designed mess. Even today, I know kids love games like Dead Space and Halo because it looked cool. This game just looks lame.

So what? So the game is going to be bad because it's going for a slightly different artstyle (it still looks like Metroid). Where have I heard that before?

images

Best game in the series BTW.

We'll get another "traditional" metroid.

I get disappointment, but the hate's just totally out of control, and honestly, pretty hilarious.

Really. When is it coming then?

Because until I get the answer to that, I'll keep being angry that they wasted a very talented developer and the metroid franchise on this spinoff that for all intents and purposes, seems crap.

They teased this for months if not years before, which together with the general reaction to other M, should have been an obvious disaster waiting to happen. They reap what they sow.

Broritos

Ehh? Zelda got a great new title in ALBW, 3 well made remakes and one competent spin off. Coming is a questionable spin off, TP HD and ofcourse Zelda U/NX. Metroids last title was bad and the upcoming title isn't what fans wan't (and very likely to be bad).
I see no reason for Zelda fans to complain.

I'm talking about new console entries. I'm not saying Zelda fans should complain about the delay of Zelda U.

My point being is every Nintendo console game on average gets one or two games from an established series. Compare it to Smash Bros then where the only difference is that Smash got a 3DS version which is essentially the same game anyway on Wii U, and that series only gets one entry per gen.

There were two zelda games on wii as well. Plus spinoffs. Zelda is basically a biyearly franchise at worst. This is the first metroid in 5 years (probably 6 by the time it launches). And 8 (9) since the last game that fans didn't widely pan. It's not the same. You could at least have said F-zero or something if you wanted an example of a similar series on hiatus.

I'm not saying Zelda is on a hiatus, that's the point. Zelda games by nature take a long time to develop but people never worry about Nintendo ignoring the series. It doesn't matter how many people didn't like Other M. That is the last Metroid game and it counts and that was five years ago. Being worried about a Metroid hiatus is ridiculous since the series is meeting Nintendo's standard quota on how many console entries of a series are made per gen. The existence of Federation Force proves that they are not ignoring the series.

Zelda has also gotten two mainline Wii titles, along with multiple DS spin offs, a Wii spinoff, 3DS mainline game, two 3DS remakes, spinoff on Wii-U, and another spinoff coming out later this month. Not to mention a mainline Wii-U game coming out next year.

Metroid has only had two titles released in the past 10 years. Not counting the Re-Release of the Prime Trilogy. I'd think people are in the right to complain about Metroid not getting many games.

Edit: Whoops forgot Prime Hunters. Still though...

Complain if you want but I think it's ridiculous that people are thinking Metroid has been put in the backburner like F-Zero or something.

Lunar15

Because until I get the answer to that, I'll keep being angry that they wasted a very talented developer and the metroid franchise on this spinoff that for all intents and purposes, seems crap.

They teased this for months if not years before, which together with the general reaction to other M, should have been an obvious disaster waiting to happen. They reap what they sow.

Literally step back and listen to how immature this sounds.

Jesus Christ. It's a video game.

So what? So the game is going to be bad because it's going for a slightly different artstyle (it still looks like Metroid). Where have I heard that before?

images

Sure, Metroid can be stylized and still have a good art style. It's just the style they chose for this that makes it look bad. There are many types of cartoon styles, this just looks kind of bad and cheap. Besides, Nintendo has a lot of franchises that have that cutsey cartoon aesthetic anyway, why add another one?

I'm one of the people who liked WW art direction in the first place, I thought it was a nice break from the realism that they were going for and the way they executed it looked incredibly well done. From what I've see from this game does not.

Toxi

Banned

images

I think it's less that it's a different art style and more that the art style is just plain not very good.

The Metroid Prime trilogy are some of the most beautiful games Nintendo has ever released in terms of detail and creativity. It's one of the reasons the games look so good on Dolphin with higher resolution. Retro's artists poured their heart and soul into every wall texture, every minor detail.

Federation Force feels like it's missing that level of care in its visuals. It doesn't just feel colorful, it feels basic, in a way that a game like Wind Waker or Kirby's Epic Yarn does not. Even the enemies from the Prime trilogy like the Hoppers feel uninspired.

I'm not saying Zelda is on a hiatus, that's the point. Zelda games by nature take a long time to develop but people never worry about Nintendo ignoring the series. It doesn't matter how many people didn't like Other M. That is the last Metroid game and it counts and that was five years ago. Being worried about a Metroid hiatus is ridiculous since the series is meeting Nintendo's standard quota on how many console entries of a series are made per gen. The existence of Federation Force proves that they are not ignoring the series.

It does matter that the last game was widely disliked, and then they make something where it that should have been obvious that there would be an immense backlash.

Since the year other M launched (2010), we've had Triforce heroes, Majoras Mask 3d, Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time 3D and four swords anniversary edition.

If you can't spot the difference between that release schedule and Metroids, I don't know what to tell you. I'd bet serious money that if NONE of those games had come out, and then Nintendo announced hyrule warriors as the only new title in the zelda franchise that they're admitting is in development, you'd have gotten a similar reaction from that fanbase too. And this is considering that Hyrule warriors is a much better game in keeping with the spirit of the series and just in general being a very zeldaesque game from top to bottom. Which Federation force sure isn't.

Literally step back and listen to how immature this sounds.
No. We're talking about what amounts to essentially toys. If I don't like a direction something is taking, there's no benefit to me shutting up on that subject. I have to put up with that on things of actual importance in my job. If I'm ranting about something on the internet there's no point pretending anything else other than what I actually think. I don't care if you think it sounds immature.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Some people are ok by the idea of getting this game instead of a game 99% of the fans would have had like.

It will surelly be full priced, yet I've played a iOS game that was almost identical to what we've seen. F2P too.

I can't believe the principal interested will bite to this poor game at full price.

Every 1 wanted the next Metroid. I don't think Nintendo can do ok this time.

k_hop

What is even Metroid about this game other than being an established sci-fi IP they could tack on for brand recognition

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Some people are ok by the idea of getting this game instead of a game 99% of the fans would have had like.
That's not the way this works.

What is even Metroid about this game other than being an established sci-fi IP they could tack on for brand recognition

From what I can tell it controls pretty much like Metroid Prime

Toxi

Banned
The controls are actually based on Metroid Prime's... Which seems like a really odd decision for an action-packed multiplayer FPS.

Lunar15

From what we can tell, the UI elements and the way combat works is similar to the prime games, as well as the fact that it's taking cues from series lore.

That's generally how spinoffs work.

Let me put it like this. You know what sucks? Loving a game like Paper Mario: TTYD and dealing with disappointing sequels and then watching it eventually get relegated to a cameo in the M&L series. Will there ever be another Paper Mario game like TTYD? Probably not, I'm never gonna get that again. But am I flipping out and cursing Nintendo, Reggie, and Miyamoto for putting a paper mario cameo in M&L, despite the fact that I don't even like that series? No. Heck, that game might even be good!

Disappointment is one thing, vitriol and snap judgements are another.

Garlador

Not without authorization.
Swing and a hit.

I think you're missing a major point here, as many others are too.
I don't think I am. Metroid fans want a proper Metroid game after a long wait and the disaster that was Other M. Federation Force isn't the game they wanted and there is no official announcement of a proper one to fill the void. That's the point, and I simply disagree that Federation Force is the problem; it's just a symptom (and could very well be good in its own right despite this).

A spin-off can be it's own thing; completely different than any mainline series game. In Metroid's case, however, the situation is a bit more confusing than anything. The last Metroid game to be released was Other M, and I don't believe I have to go into detail when it comes to that - it just didn't work out.
I'll take it a step further. It didn't just not work; it possibly irrecoverably damaged the entire brand on a foundational level. A LOT of the things Other M retconned and established about Samus and the Metroid universe didn't go down very well, and, like many other fans, we're outright afraid that Nintendo will hunker down and stick with it and keep the unpleasant revelations and characterizations and streamlined gameplay going forward.

Federation Force is frustrating because, rather than supporting it or fixing it, it's SIDE-STEPPING it. It's a game that, due to being a spin-off, neither assuages or confirmed our fears for the future of Samus and the series. The stink of Other M lingers on, and Federation Force isn't the air freshener fans want.

For years, fans clamored and begged for a new Metroid tease, something, anything. Nintendo's response? Federation Force. It feels delusional and empty, tiding Metroid fans over until... what, exactly? Despite it's placement in the B-side category of the 3DS lineup, this is the game Nintendo (or maybe just Tanabe) feels that Metroid fans deserve.
I honestly don't think that's how it happened. Tanabe isn't part of the "Japanese" Metroid teams, and he had no hand in Other M. Looking at his resume of games, and judging by his own interviews, he simply said "I wanted to tell a story set within the Metroid universe that explores it from the Federation's perspective. This was the way I felt it was best to do so." He then kept talking about all the ideas he has for a proper Samus-driven Prime 4 game.

He later even said, and a paraphrase, "I know fans want a proper Metroid game. I know they want Samus. We KNOW."

The bottom line is I have trust and faith that a proper Metroid is coming, while many who are outraged do not. The thing is, I can understand them. If I truly believed Federation Force was all we were getting, I'd be just as disappointed (not angry though. Just disappointed).

As much as I love Nintendo, they really should just take a look at how 2015 Square Enix is handling themselves - AKA actually listening to fans and releasing the games they want to play. I'm not saying their creative side needs to back down by any means, risks are important to take, but at times Nintendo is so frustratingly inclusive.
But 2015 Square Enix is a rebound from nearly 8 straight years of "Lightning in every game!", "Oops, FF14 is totally broken!", and "All the Bravest is the game for suckers!" Square Enix. They didn't listen for an ENTIRE console generation, the longest one in history. They had to rebuild entire games from the ground up over two years to win back lost trust.

Now, they're doing better, but they also announced a LOT of games that we HOPE deliver. For the majority of them, the games aren't in our hands yet. While I have faith they'll satisfy, I simply don't know at this point. FF13 was looking great... right up until the moment I started playing the game itself.

The answer to that is in the post you originally quoted. It doesn't matter what a spinoff does or whether it's good.
Actually, it does matter. A lot of great spin-off games exist that are beloved across the industry. Persona 5 is one of the most anticipated JRPGs of next year... and that's a spin-off series.

The fact that it is a spinoff is the problem people have.
No, the problem isn't that the spin-off exists. The problem is that it exists and folks don't want a spin-off. They want a Prime 4 or Super Metroid 2, and that's not what they're getting. If Nintendo confirmed one was in the works, NOBODY, including YOU, would care about Federation Force, whether it was good or bad.

They are slapping the Metroid name on a completely unrelated product, while the real series is still dead after 5 years.
Such drama. "Dead after 5 years". From 1994-2002 there was a period of no new Metroid titles. Five years is "dead"? Geez. Uncharted 3 came out in 2011 and the new one won't be out until 2016. That's five years.

The series is only "dead" because you (and I and countless others) weren't satisfied with Other M and are worried about the future of the series. But the series is no more "dead" than a franchise like Smash Bros, which had 7 years between installments.

A series that has a reputation of being one of the most heralded Nintendo ,,hardcore" IPs, one of the few with a darker tone and more sophisticated game design like Zelda, which is also desperately needed among countless mascot platformer rehashes, minigames or other crap like Home Designer. What looks like a sequel to Nintendoland Metroid instead is just insulting however.
"Darker tone like Zelda".
I heard this same excuse a decade ago when Wind Waker's art style was revealed. "Zelda is hardcore and dark and mature! What's this kiddie crap?"

... Wind Waker turned out great and the art design has stuck around now (we're getting "kiddie" Wind Waker style for Tri-Force Heroes this month).

This is the equivalent of a dormant legacy IPs being abused for shoddy smartphone games that have nothing to do with the series. And people don't try to defend these cases either, for good reason.
"Abused". Good grief.

People defend those ALL the time. People liked Pokemon Snap, even though that had nothing to do with fighting or training Pokemon. People liked Mario Kart, even though that had nothing to do with platforming, saving the princess, or fighting Bowser in his castle. People liked Four Swords, even though it's a competitive multiplayer only linear game that tosses out 90% of Zelda's formula. People like Tales of Borderlands, even though it's a story-driven adventure game instead of FPS loot shooter.

It's a bloody spin-off. And I've defended COUNTLESS spin-offs before. Heck, the game I'm playing right now, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, started off as a franchise spinning-off from traditional Mario games.

We can talk about that once a real Metroid is unveiled. They having ,,plans" means nothing and current Nintendo isn't exactly giving hope they'd invest in such a thing. Or that a mainline game would be any better, I mean Starfox is coming back with a clearly low budget gamepad tech demo.
Star Fox was ALWAYS comparatively low budget. And the original Star Fox was just a glorified tech demo. Star Fox is coming back exactly the way it original started as.

The end argument is that Federation Force isn't what you want for a Metroid game, and you have lost your faith that Nintendo will make one that appeals to you.

I understand that, and I disagree. The problem, however, is that until something is confirmed one way or the other, your hate for Federation Force is based on an assumption and opinion, neither confirmed nor denied, about the future of the series, and thus Federation Force just becomes the target for you to express your disappointment and unease.

And I get that. Trust me, I do. The same thing happened when Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts 'n Bolts (a GOOD game!) came out and Banjo-Kazooie fans rejected it and were angry with it because it wasn't the platformer they had waited years to get a true sequel to.

Shame, really. Just as Nuts 'n Bolts was worth playing, I imagine Federation Force will be as well. I've already played probably four or five Metroid games I'm sure I've enjoyed worse than I'll enjoy Federation Force.

At the very least, I'm willing to give it a fair shot and judge it on its own merits, even as I continue to ask for a "real" Metroid title.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
SMH @ all the "cancel it" comments. :/

OP, I think you are underestimating how much effort it would take to add a "Story mode", even if it were a collection of Mission Levels strung together by a flimsy plot. And that'd be the whole of it if they were to add something.

It's repulsive that people are still demanding that the game to be cancelled. Just don't buy the game if you don't like it. Saying "Things that I personally don't like should not exist" is incredibly childish, not to mention disrespectful to the developers at NLG, who are likely Metroid fans themselves and want to do right by the series (yeah, shocking)

And a mainline Metroid entry wasn't going to come any time soon even if this game didn't exist. The problems Nintendo has with the Metroid franchise run much deeper than some harmless filler spinoff game.

Broritos

It does matter that the last game was widely disliked, and then they make something where it that should have been obvious that there would be an immense backlash.

Since the year other M launched (2010), we've had Triforce heroes, Majoras Mask 3d, Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time 3D and four swords anniversary edition.

If you can't spot the difference between that release schedule and Metroids, I don't know what to tell you. I'd bet serious money that if NONE of those games had come out, and then Nintendo announced hyrule warriors as the only new title in the zelda franchise that they're admitting is in development, you'd have gotten a similar reaction from that fanbase too. And this is considering that Hyrule warriors is a much better game in keeping with the spirit of the series and just in general being a very zeldaesque game from top to bottom. Which Federation force sure isn't.

No. We're talking about what amounts to essentially toys. If I don't like a direction something is taking, there's no benefit to me shutting up on that subject. I have to put up with that on things of actual importance in my job. If I'm ranting about something on the internet there's no point pretending anything else other than what I actually think. I don't care if you think it sounds immature.

It doesn't matter that many people didn't like Other M in the context that it doesn't count and therefor the so called 'hiatus' has been going on since Prime 3.

The bold is where the problem lies. Thinking Nintendo will stop making mainline entries in favor of spin-offs because that's obviously what they're known to do.

Mokujin

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't need to be saved, I think it's somewhat a shame they slapped the name Metroid over the game but either way I'll just keep waiting till the next proper Metroid.

Hope I'm still alive by then.

It doesn't matter that many people didn't like Other M in the context that it doesn't count and therefor the so called 'hiatus' has been going on since Prime 3.

The bold is where the problem lies. Thinking Nintendo will stop making mainline entries in favor of spin-offs because that's obviously what they're known to do.

I mean, how long do we have to wait until we can say they have stopped making mainline entries? It's been 5 years, 6 by the time this is out, and they already admitted there isn't a mainline metroid in development.

Broritos

I mean, how long do we have to wait until we can say they have stopped making mainline entries? It's been 5 years, 6 by the time this is out, and they already admitted there isn't a mainline metroid in development.

Like I mentioned earlier, Nintendo's quota is one or two entries per gen. When the Wii U and 3DS successor comes out and there's still no mainline Metroid game, then I would get worried. Granted, Metroid completely skipped N64 but who knows.

Mael

Federation Force feels like it's missing that level of care in its visuals. It doesn't just feel colorful, it feels basic, in a way that a game like Wind Waker or Kirby's Epic Yarn does not. Even the enemies from the Prime trilogy like the Hoppers feel uninspired.

That's still better than the uninspired trash Other M was where nothing good was original (and even the unoriginal stuffs were hit&miss).

For an arena shooter, it's actually a good idea to go from MP:H since it was a fast paced arena shooter.

At least this one is a spinoff, if it's shit it can go right next to Zelda Crossbow training in the pile of inconsequential spinoffs.

Garlador

"... for the Wii U."

They admitted there's no Metroid game for the Wii U.
They're revealing a brand new system next year.

And 5 years (with a Metroid game coming out next year) is nothing compared to the 8 year wait between Super Metroid and Prime or the 12 year gap between StarCraft I and II.

Roo

To be fair, they said no Metroid Prime
For all we know, Metroid Other M 2 or a reboot could be in development as we speak.

greg400

Banned
Lol, trying to say this games art style is on the same level as Wind Waker is insulting to Wind Waker. This game just looks straight up bad from an artistic and technical standpoint.

To be fair, they said no Metroid Prime
For all we know, Metroid Other M 2 or a reboot could be in development as we speak.

I hope they have to realise what would happen if they announced Other M 2. It would surely be an exact repeat of what's happening right now with federation force

They only have two options that won't end up in a hatestorm really: Metroid Prime 4 or a new Super metroid type 2d game.

Z3M0G

Video has 9k likes and 80k dislikes...

This must be in serious risk of cancellation, right? I mean, there must be some sweeping change coming to this game in some form... how can they still release it without such change after this reception?

I found it fine and planned to buy it

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I continue to not understand the hate a spinoff is getting /shrug

This must be in serious risk of cancellation, right? I mean, there must be some sweeping change coming to this game in some form... how can they still release it without such change after this reception?

Yes.

It's hilarious that people think YouTube dislikes are grounds for canceling a game. That isn't how businesses work.

Red Devil

There's nothing that can "save" Metroid FF it is what it is, what needs to be done is go back in time and announce a Metroid Prime 4 or a Super Metroid 4 alongside Metroid FF and no-one would give a shit what Metroid FF is.

And those games probably don't exist right now and might take years to be released if they ever exist, so yeah.

Perhaps, but people are so out of their mind that probably think that magically a "proper" Metroid game will be released early next year if this one is cancelled.

Toxi

Banned

LOL you don't cancel a game you already have a playable demo of just because of negative reception.

Malus

I do wonder if fan response will change anything about the game. I doubt it though. It was just a bad decision from a PR standpoint to announce a Metroid spinoff when we don't have any details on a future mainline entry.

Nothing about this game appeals to me personally. Even just from a conceptual standpoint. 3DS multiplayer FPS based on Metroid gameplay. None of that sounds right together lol, and the actual execution is just so uninspired looking. People keep saying, "Well it's a spinoff" but this is being made by Next Level and I was hoping for something more interesting than this. Even the name is blah.

Z3M0G

I didn't even realize how fast this thread is moving when I previously posted... people DO care about Metroid... I don't see how Nintendo would deny this.

LOL you don't cancel a game you already have a playable demo of just because of negative reception.

Ok, fair enough... but would it justify some major changes at least?

Sometimes Nintendo's "late reveal" strategy can work against them... showing this to us 6-12 months earlier could have saved them some major $$$.

It's hilarious that people think YouTube dislikes are grounds for canceling a game. That isn't how businesses work.

With that many views, and that many dislikes vs likes, it is clear that there is a passion for this franchise... And Youtube is a major source of feedback from fans... what else is there? Like the OP said... the comments are not disabled for a reason.

Top Bottom