• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Info Dump.

The Giant

Banned
I figured since most people are still angry about this game. It's most likely they haven't read or seen anything else about the game besides the announcement trailer from the Digital Event.

I tried to find all info that has been released so far about the game.

Treehouse Live Day 1 Hands on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wx5now2XJo

Treehouse Live Day 3 Hands on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBu5haRZ9A8

All info I could find from interviews etc

- use the second stick on the New 3DS to look around
- game also runs on the regular 3DS
- Blast Ball could serve as a replacement for a traditional tutorial
- concept for the game has been floating around for 10 years now
- single player mode
- no four against four player matches
- co-op four player mode where you fight as a team against space pirates
- three major planets
- roughly 10 different missions on each planet
- areas for you to look around and explore
- no visor scanning
- a mission involves Metroids
- Samus will make an appearance
- move around in mechs that are outfitted before each mission
- choose to be more of a “healer” by equipping repair capsules
- arm yourself with super missiles
- game is overseen by Nintendo’s Yoshihito Ikebata and Ryuichi Nakada
- 4-player co-op first-person shooter set in the Metroid Prime universe
- local and online muliplayer
- requires 4-player squads to complete different kinds of missions
- missions have different objectives (for example; trying to capture certain kinds of creatures)
- missions start with briefings
- select different kinds of items and weapons to take into combat with you
- this includes Repair Capsules to Shield Generators to Missiles to Slow Beams
- music done in-house at NLG, along with Kenji Yamamoto.

Tanabe: Personally, I don’t feel like I am creating anything that is a side-story. Until now, we’ve never had a game focusing on the Federation Force fighting against the space pirates. So the main idea here is that I sort of wanted to change that focus a little bit and see it from a different view from the same universe. So as I briefly mentioned earlier, once you play the game you’ll be able to feel that Metroid Prime universe. So it’s kind of... at this point it’s a little difficult I’m sure for both sides to get that idea ...for players who haven’t touched the game, it’s really difficult to imagine that feeling you get when you touch the game. So it’s a kind of an unfortunate situation at this time, but it’s something I definitely look forward to having the users touch it and play and experience the awesomeness of it.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Blast Ball
- includes Blast Ball, which is a 3-on-3 sci-fi sport mode
- shoot a ball into the opponent’s goal to score
- gain a competitive edge by collecting and using a variety of individual power-ups, such as barriers
- match ends when a team scores three goals
- send the Blast Ball game for free to other Nintendo 3DS owners via Nintendo 3DS Download Play
- being hit with the ball will damage your suit
- take too much damage and you'll have to wait to respawn
- Movement is mapped to the Circle Pad, 'B' jumps and 'A' fires your cannon, either in rapid bursts or a charged shot
- holding down 'R' allows you to strafe with the Circle Pad or fine-tune your aim with the gyroscope
- holding 'L' locks onto the ball
- while locked on to the ball, your mech's lateral movement is much slower
- C-stick on the New 3DS demo units wasn't used in the demo

Thanks! Count me as one of those who was gradually won over by the game during the Treehouse sessions. Sounding good and I'm looking forward to it.

Is this a 2015 or 2016 game? I'm finding conflicting info.

Edit: Nevermind, 2016 confirmed.

georly

Honestly, watching the videos, it looks like a really solid game. Unfortunately, the upgrade/persistence mechanics of just finding weapons/boosts and equipping them into slots doesn't appeal to me as much as something like a monster hunter style progression. Not saying this game needs to be metroid monster hunter, but I am saying a metroid monster hunter would have been more appealing.

I'm not dismissing the game yet, but I won't preorder or anything. I will wait for reviews and maybe a sale.

Edit:
I guess I'm not a fan of mission based games. Peace walker, luigi's mansion dark moon, etc. I'd prefer one long narrative with checkpoints over something broken up into missions, replaying the same environments with different enemy/object placement. It's gaming padding, to me.

Weetrick

I'm curious how it controls on a regular 3DS (no c-stick) since most people haven't upgraded. Hope there is a demo.

Kouichi

A lot of that info sounds great and appeals to my interests. The visuals need some work, but overall I like what I'm seeing. I expect Next Level will deliver another solid game.

Weird ass game to greenlight

Poor timing for sure

I do love Co-Op games but i feel like this would have been better received as a WiiU eshop title

FPS on 3DS can be tolerable but not ideal. This might be hit with kids i guess?

ChaosXVI

So...is this pretty much confirming once and for all that Nintendo considers Metroid and Metroid Prime to be two separate universes? Because I know Other M completely fucked up by having a ton of inconsistencies with the Prime games, but I'd still prefer the previous timeline of all the Prime games taking place between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2.

Otherwise, what we have is Metroid 1, and then two branches from it, one being Prime, Hunters, Echoes, Corruption, Federation Force; and the other being Metroid II, Super Metroid, Other M, and Fusion.

I want one continuous Metroid universe...not two.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like no one would be angry if they just changed the artstyle. That and it wasn't the first metroid thing we've gotten in like 6 years.

It's also Metroid's 30th anniversary next year, and this game is coming out. Yeah...

They need to change the art style/improve the graphics, because right now it looks like an N64 game in screens.

The artstyle is atrocious and the game doesn't look much fun. And it definitely doesn't help that they decided to call it Metroid Prime.

Phazon

Based on the Treehouse gameplay I saw, I'm still not very convinced as a Metroid fan. I will give it a fair chance however.

I understand the idea and gameplay, but it still seems like a 'My first Metroid' that might appeal to people who are unfamiliar with the franchise.

The missions look very straightforward and simple. It will probably be very decent, but I don't expect them to use the deep boss and enemy mechanics that can be found in the other Prime games, which is a bit sad.

Yamamoto is a nice detail to hear. Looking forward to the OST.

I think there are basically two things that would change the game in something more positive for everyone:
- As I said, the mechanics don't look too deep, but I hope some other missions and enemies have enough depth
- The artstyle is probably what annoys the majority of people. Making the characters and enemies less Chibi and more cartoony would probably solve a lot. The enviroments itself were alright and I saw some nice graphical effects too.

It is what it is of course and I hope Nintendo will explain/show the game a bit better in an upcoming Nintendo Direct. I'm still baffled at how anyone at Nintendo thought it would be a great idea to reveal Federation Force like that in the Digital Event. They really need to work on their presentation and messaging.

Synless

I can promise this to Nintendo. I will not buy this game. The graphics are shit ugly, the concept is not interesting to me. This will be the first Metroid game (besides pinball) I haven't purchased. Congrats Nintendo.

rekameohs

Banned
I can promise this to Nintendo. I will not buy this game. The graphics are shit ugly, the concept is not interesting to me. This will be the first Metroid game (besides pinball) I haven't purchased. Congrats Nintendo.
Pinball's actually probably one of the best pinball games released. It's a really solid entry into its genre. Sure doesn't look like this will be the same for first person cooperative adventures, but whatever.

It's also Metroid's 30th anniversary next year, and this game is coming out. Yeah...

They need to change the art style/improve the graphics, because right now it looks like an N64 game in screens.
Watch to Treehouse footage, screens don't really do the game any justice.

I've warmed up to the idea, it looks like a Metroid Left 4 Dead. I showed the footage to a coworker who doesn't really play games or have any affinity for the Metroid franchise and he said it actually looked like a lot of fun, he was looking for reasons to buy a 3DS to play at work in downtime and said this would probably push him over the edge.

Looks completely uninspired and boring. Treehouse guys made it look slightly better than the reveal by screaming and hyping.

Long way to go before I'm convinced.

So...is this pretty much confirming once and for all that Nintendo considers Metroid and Metroid Prime to be two separate universes? Because I know Other M completely fucked up by having a ton of inconsistencies with the Prime games, but I'd still prefer the previous timeline of all the Prime games taking place between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2.

Otherwise, what we have is Metroid 1, and then two branches from it, one being Prime, Hunters, Echoes, Corruption, Federation Force; and the other being Metroid II, Super Metroid, Other M, and Fusion.

I believe Sakamoto confirmed that Prime is in its own universe.

Synless

I believe Sakamoto confirmed that Prime is in its own universe.
Fuck Sakamoto, he's just mad he had the series pulled from him. Retro set the first prime game up to be part of the main series and I will consider it that way. Not their fault Sakamoto is a jaded ass who butchered his series with his last game.

Pandy

Treehouse stuff looked fun, it has a single-player mode, and they still have at least six months to improve on what we've seen so far.

Sounds good to me.

Formless

They supposedly chose to chibify the troopers to make them easier to see given the 3ds resolution and screen size. Not a huge deal to me as long as they dont make the general mood kawaii.

Metroid Prime Pinball is amazing dude

KingBroly

Banned
Fuck Sakamoto, he's just mad he had the series pulled from him. Retro set the first prime game up to be part of the main series and I will consider it that way. Not their fault Sakamoto is a jaded ass who butchered his series with his last game.

Actually, I think he was the one to step away from the Prime games because he didn't know anything about first person games, and given its' implementation in Other M, still doesn't.

All they need to do to extinguish the controversey:
  1. Change the art style. Chibi art doesn't feel right for Metroid, especially for fans who have waited years for a new, legit game in the franchise.
  2. If it's not about Metroid or Samus, remove the Metroid Prime title.
  3. Confirm or show footage of an officially legit Metroid game.

UltraJay

You'll have two and like it just as much as us Zelda fans!

I still don't understand fully what is going on with that split timeline.

Words can't describe the ire I hold for that art style. It's fucking hideous to me and it's pervasive on this system. It's not a terrible looking game, but I don't want it.

Top Bottom