• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime is Awesome in 2D! - Prime 2D Game & Watch (Fan Project)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metroid Prime has been converted to 2D by fans at Team SCU. Prime 2D is a demo showcasing what Metroid Prime would be like in 2D, but they did a lot more than just change the dimensions, as there are a number of other changes made, and they're pretty cool!

Fredrik

Makes me sad that this might get erased by Nintendo. Nintendo should hire them, give them money and let them finish it. It would probably be the best Metroid game we’ll get to see this decade.

Knightime_X

Make a game to bait big company attention
becomes popular
Rename and resprite to dodge legal stuff
???????????
profit

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

Metroid Prime has been converted to 2D by fans at Team SCU. Prime 2D is a demo showcasing what Metroid Prime would be like in 2D, but they did a lot more than just change the dimensions, as there are a number of other changes made, and they're pretty cool!

This looks absolutely GORGEOUS. I wish Samus Returns had gone with this style. :)

Videospel

Actually, people that work on those types of projects expect two things:

1. Company that owns the rights hires them to make it official (rarely happens at all)
2. Company threatens to sue them, which they already expect. Then they proceed to rename the project, change the assets and use this to promote this new project. They already got people's attention (including the media's), so the chances of getting a publisher and investment for this new project increases.

Number 2 happened with that Mother 4 project which they renamed it "Oddity".
I think it's very rare to have plans like that. I think they genuinely think they'll get away with it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
don't watch the video.. just play the game it looks fucking good.

dear lord nintendo just make a new 2d metroid game FFS

LastBattle

Actually, people that work on those types of projects expect two things:

1. Company that owns the rights hires them to make it official (rarely happens at all)
2. Company threatens to sue them, which they already expect. Then they proceed to rename the project, change the assets and use this to promote this new project. They already got people's attention (including the media's), so the chances of getting a publisher and investment for this new project increases.

Number 2 happened with that Mother 4 project which they renamed it "Oddity".
I’m sure they must have been aware of the potential outcome of their project being scrapped. You are probably right in that it could be calculated risk/strategy for the developer to build reputation.

Spukc

Ok i 100% it

JKyW5Fw.png
M018vOE.png
c8jeGDM.png
uT1ijVF.jpg
LmNaWVX.png
y2cxpUz.jpg
NBc4Ged.jpg
tAmvRRJ.png
DTl5eXm.png

all the info you need to 100% it

sub 20min 100% speedrun.

Thanks IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo for this thread i had way way too much fun with it.. Solid 3 hours of exploring. It legit felt as good as a game made by nintendo.

All info to 100% in quote made some maps! glhf SPOILERS

Last edited:

Spukc

This game looks fantastic. What is Nintendo's problem?? Hire these people, let them finish their work and release this thang!

So frustrating
agreed

just to the same shit they did with cadence

Cadence-Of-Hyrule---Crypt-Of-The-Necrodancer

if your own dev team is too fucking incompetent to make a good looking 2d metroid game (looking at you samus returns)
then let other devs make the game.

Sega did it with sonic mania... There is a market that wants this shit.

Kuranghi

I only played most of the official 2D metroids (ZM, AM2R, SM & Fusion) last year, I'm super ready for more excellent 2D Metroids.

I tried og Metroid but metroid couldn't crawl so I couldn't get by the first part, Metroid 2 on GB was rouuuuugh for me, just constantly getting assaulted from offscreen by metroids:

face fail GIF by Missing Link

Jokes aside, I did give og Metroid more of a chance but I found the music a bit grating and it felt like it wasn't giving me anything I didnt get from ZM. I'll play it when I'm hooked up to the VR-NET when I'm 80 or something like that:

"These damn kids and their monster truck rallies filled with licensed characters! I just want pixels!"

agreed

just to the same shit they did with cadence

Cadence-Of-Hyrule---Crypt-Of-The-Necrodancer

if your own dev team is too fucking incompetent to make a good looking 2d metroid game (looking at you samus returns)
then let other devs make the game.

Sega did it with sonic mania... There is a market that wants this shit.
I think Nintendo has a rule about their big IP's that they have to have a new way to play in order to have a reason to develop a new game. A graphic upgrade isn't enough.

It's got to have waggle controls, 3D, maybe VR or augmented reality. Open world is probably how they're going with prime 4.

But heck, Metroid has ALWAYS kinda been open world...

jaysius

Banned
These game project makers should learn, to not put out earl work, to wait until they have the entire thing completed, because Nintendo will always shut these things down.

Also GameXplain is the AIDS of youtube.

Spukc

These game project makers should learn, to not put out earl work, to wait until they have the entire thing completed, because Nintendo will always shut these things down.

Also GameXplain is the AIDS of youtube.
pretty sure plenty people know GE is sheit..
the game is good

MiguelItUp

That looks amazing! I know people loved the Prime series, but I just couldn't get into it. Which is strange considering how much I've always loved FPS games. Well, and Metroid. I think it's just because Metroid's jump to FPS felt like such a broad change. I really loved Metroid's classic style.

Kuranghi

I'm gonna skip this until the official controller support is in there, anyone know where I can register to get updates for this? I could watch this thread but I don't know if anyone is going to come back here.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It seems the project has now been shut down. This information was shared over on the project's Discord by 'Troid92' and then reposted on the Metroid subreddit. While no names are mentioned, a "certain games-related company" has informed the team to stop their work immediately.

The demo has also been taken down, along with the MP3 soundtrack - and there's now a dialogue between the two parties taking place. In the same message to fans, it's noted how the decision to release the demo was the "right choice" for the team and SCU has no regrets about it. Here it is in full:

Top Bottom