• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Golnei

Thinking of the final areas in particular, one thing that exacerbates the limited enemy variety is the way the encounters are paced - you end up fighting the same enemies in the same density to some extent throughout each area of the game. The monotony it creates could easily be broken up by varying things in simple ways - keeping the passages between the baby Metroid's egg hatching and the surface devoid of enemies would have created a tangible difference, for example - a dip between the climaxes of the Queen's defeat and the final departure; instead of dropping you right back into the same gameplay loop of clearing rooms of the same enemies which you were doing right beforehand.

The way they handled the
larval metroid sequence
before the Queen did work well in that regard, but the unwillingness to considerably vary the pace of standard gameplay shows in the way that common enemy formations were pushed up until the moment it started.

That also kind of carried over into the sound design - the reuse of a common cavern theme when you get off the elevator into the rooms before Area 8 proper undercuts some of the gravity of the situation, and would be better-suited to silence. Similarly, if they didn't want to include the droning track that originally played before confronting the Queen, cutting out the background music when
she roars upon the last newly-hatched Metroid's defeat
would produce a similar effect.

RRockman

Banned
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a badass when running through a room with icebeam and melee counter without stopping even once?

Glix

Yo this game is LEGIT. I tried to resist, as I dont' even use my 3ds anymore. Additionally I didn't really trust MS with the franchise.

Wow, I was wrong. Please please remake all the 2d metroids like this.

Although going from 3ds to switch would be shitty because the 3d effect is superb in this game.

Toxi

Banned
why would you use the ice beam? it does less damage and puts obstacles in your way.
Ice beam into missile or melee counter kills basically every non-robot enemy instantly. It's also easier to just run and jump past enemies when you can freeze them.

Missiles in general are incredibly useful for lowering your time.

Golnei

Actually - there would have been one place they could have inserted that track and had it fit perfectly: the elevator cutscene to Area 8. It'd really help in setting the tone, especially if the transitory caverns before the Metroid Nest theme starts were completely silent.

The biggest problem is probably the fact you have to use the touch buttons on the right to switch between shot/missile types. Can you map those to physical buttons?

If you have the Steam client, you can add Citra as a shortcut, then bind a button to the exact area on the touchpad you want clicked through Steam's controller configuration.

RRockman

Banned
If you shoot with ice you and kill in one hit from a punch

That's it. With Just a few precise shots and a little melee, almost nothing can touch you. I remember reading in a review that the melee counter slows down traversal but now I know that reviewer wasn't using the ice beam effectively.

TheMoon

That's it. With Just a few precise shots and a little melee, almost nothing can touch you. I remember reading in a review that the melee counter slows down traversal but now I know that reviewer wasn't using the ice beam effectively.

Was that the one on Retronauts by Jeremy Parish? That one wasn't a review, it was impressions based on progress up to Area 3. Very telling and ultimately misleading/not representative of the game.

Darktalon

Somehow, despite what Nintendo believes, I have room in my heart for both this and AM2R. The people on reddit are doing God's work, they have updated AM2R quite a bit.

Struct09

Just finished last night with 100% collection and I really loved the game. My only nitpick is that the enemy variety could have been better, but overall I'm glad we got a good classic-style Metroid game on the DS family of systems. Can't wait for Prime 4!!

clemenx

Banned
Lmao I feel stupid right now.

I'm pretty sure I just killed the last Zeta Metroid and I just realized I could hook them when they're on the roof :'( I spent sooo many more missiles than necessary in the previous ones without doing that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The queen is dead and my reward is the baby metroid...which I named Albert.

So Albert and I went back and got the remaining items and I successfully for the first time 100% a Metroid game.

Albert after seeing Samus' airship got all excited and was like "sweet I call shot gun" but the little derp got ahead of himself and got captured by metal Barney with wings.

After a gruelling though fight against Barney, seriously fuck this boss fight to hell, I had finished Metroid: Samus Return.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game but I feel that they went a tad bit too far in making enemies dish out a lot of damage to Samus and while the counter attack was cool I feel that what Samus really needed was a dodge attack so she could use the thruster on her back to allow her to dodge on coming attacks it would also make boss attacks easier to dodge.

Either way I will eventually move on to Super Metroid, though the ending will make me sad as I know what will happen to little Albert.

I also plan to replay the Prime series to prepare for Prime 4.

Well, I just had the fight with the
Diggernaut
. The thing killed me a whole bunch (it does a lot of damage!) but I finally managed to prevail. I was really glad that I was able to fight it since they kept teasing me with it for a while.

All in all it was a really good fight... probably the biggest highlight of the game so far.

Well, I just had the fight with the
Diggernaut
. The thing killed me a whole bunch (it does a lot of damage!) but I finally managed to prevail. I was really glad that I was able to fight it since they kept teasing me with it for a while.

All in all it was a really good fight... probably the biggest highlight of the game so far.

That's the best fight in the game, for sure.

RRockman

Banned
Was that the one on Retronauts by Jeremy Parish? That one wasn't a review, it was impressions based on progress up to Area 3. Very telling and ultimately misleading/not representative of the game.

Yeah that was it. The game analysis. I honestly thought it was a review with the way he said it "doesn't rank with the series best" or some such. I guess it was good bait. :/

Queen Metroid strategy:

Apparently you can halt her heat ray attack by using the Power Bomb+Spider Ball combo from the wall. This can be used to end her green orb attack pattern pretty much immediately instead of having to wait for it to end.

TheMoon

The queen is dead and my reward is the baby metroid...which I named Albert.

So Albert and I went back and got the remaining items and I successfully for the first time 100% a Metroid game.

Albert after seeing Samus' airship got all excited and was like "sweet I call shot gun" but the little derp got ahead of himself and got captured by metal Barney with wings.

After a gruelling though fight against Barney, seriously fuck this boss fight to hell, I had finished Metroid: Samus Return.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game but I feel that they went a tad bit too far in making enemies dish out a lot of damage to Samus and while the counter attack was cool I feel that what Samus really needed was a dodge attack so she could use the thruster on her back to allow her to dodge on coming attacks it would also make boss attacks easier to dodge.

Either way I will eventually move on to Super Metroid, though the ending will make me sad as I know what will happen to little Albert.

I also plan to replay the Prime series to prepare for Prime 4.

We're less than three weeks after release. Please use spoiler tags...

Queen Metroid strategy:

Apparently you can halt her heat ray attack by using the Power Bomb+Spider Ball combo from the wall. This can be used to end her green orb attack pattern pretty much immediately instead of having to wait for it to end.

WTF

Yeah that was it. The game analysis. I honestly thought it was a review with the way he said it "doesn't rank with the series best" or some such. I guess it was good bait. :/

He clarified that in the comments but the article is also tagged with "review" but then again he also says "But the fact of the matter is, I haven't finished Metroid: Samus Returns, [...]" in the opening. And it dropped among the actual reviews. It's very unfortunate.

Queen Metroid strategy:

Wow, the more you know. I wonder how many other shortcuts there are out there.

Speedruns will be pretty interesting for this game I think.

TheMoon

Wow, the more you know. I wonder how many other shortcuts there are out there.

Speedruns will be pretty interesting for this game I think.

I also found out by casually reading the guide that you can melee counter some attacks from another boss:
(the very last one).
Though the guide wrongly claims you have to use a counter to end the fight which is not true.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I love that the % indicator exists, although I'm not sure if it appears at the final savepoint or not.

HYDE

Banned
Lmao I feel stupid right now.

I'm pretty sure I just killed the last Zeta Metroid and I just realized I could hook them when they're on the roof :'( I spent sooo many more missiles than necessary in the previous ones without doing that.

What? Beat the game and never did this. Neat!

khaaan

What? Beat the game and never did this. Neat!

The only thing that has really given me trouble so far :(
I tried it out on a hunch because in the area before you encounter your first one there's a progress blocking wall with the same visual indicator. I don't even know if I could have beaten it without knowing that.

One more time through, 3:12:33 with 100%. Dunno if I'm ready to move onto something else yet though.

Regarding that Queen strategy, I had actually only witnessed it on a stream when I posted it earlier, but having just fought her again today I can confirm that's completely legit.

DeathPeak

I just beat the Queen. I really wish I had known that strategy, but at least I got the job done! Currently going through and getting all the stuff I'm missing. This may have become my second favorite Metroid.

Finally beat it after a lot of sighting and repeated attempts. I really didn't enjoy most of the boss fights in this, but it was nice to play another Metroid title again. The scan pulse was a welcome addition to the series and much nicer than the x-ray scope, though I still feel it's a solution to problem that shouldn't have been there to begin with. Zelda games got around the inconspicuous bombable wall problem by simply changing the graphic of the tile to have a little crack, and I don't know why 2D Metroid never followed suit. Having played AM2R not too long ago, I knew what I was getting into. This one still felt a lot nicer to control and had a nicer flow, though that's to be expected from a commercial product. I heard this one may not be as faithful to the original, but I haven't played that, so I don't really care either way.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Does filling out the map count for 100%. Cause I may have screwed myself out of it in hard mode.

Surfside

Banned
Just finished area 4. At first i thought "What just one metroid in this area?", but that wasn't zone 4 somehow. The real area started afterwards with 3 metroids to collect.

The highlight here was certainly the chase sequence with this digging robot. Took me quite a few tries, as i always forgot to use missile at the end of the course.

In this area i also got the space jump. That's the most fun to use ability, until now. I just like to jump endlessly through the air. It also was of good use against this areas main boss, which is my favorite metroid fight for now.

So yeah, next up is area 5.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just beat the game. Great experience. Fantastic game. MercurySteam more than delivered.

That ending though. I'm so in for the timeline to move forward and for the next MecurySteam Metroid game.
FUSION SWITCH

JonnyKong

Really enjoyed my first couple of hours with it. The game doesn't fuck around if you're not concentrating, I've already died quite a few times.

I'm finding the controls a little fiddly, maybe I'll get better the more I play, but at the moment I keep finding myself accidentally using the rockets instead of laser, and vice versa. My brain struggles to differentiate between the two.

Just finished the game on normal, 12 hours of play 73.3% completion.

The melee counter is basically mandatory at the beginning of the game because enemies take so many hits, but at the end of the game with the powerful beam I actually started shooting stuff a lot more again like in any other Metroid game. That and
I always used the ice beam on Metroids rather than waiting for a counter opportunity.
Never used missiles outside of bosses because putting pressure on both sides of my 2DS to use them felt awkward.
I actually don't think normal missiles do as much DPS as spamming the ice beam because of the slow firing rate? Only used supers.

Missiles having the same Tile Uncovering power as Bombs is a welcome addition!

There is much less of a "secrets everywhere" feel like in Fusion. This is partly due to the environments tiles being very indistinct. There are some bonuses hidden in blocks that don't look different from the rest, but only near the end of the game I think, but because every bonus is always shown on the minimap if you uncovered the tile, it's just a matter of looking at the map I think (I should complete at 100% to be sure).

There are still rooms that I don't know how to clear though. I had read in reviews about
the "spike" room
beforehand. If you see it, you'll probably recognise it.
When
those spikes
kept appearing near the end of the game I totally expected to get a new power-up. I'm still wondering if I missed some secret chamber (I avoided using the map-uncovering Aeiou, I mean Aeion). Guess I'll have to look at a guide!

End boss:
Metroid queen: I kept a pattern of dying at one phase, then in the next run taking zero damage from that phase, then dying at the next phase. It's a sign that once the patterns are learned, they are very easy to execute, but that slight variations and stress can make everything go south. Despite some patterns being more frustrating than others, all in all very satisfying to learn the patterns and execute it perfectly. But it was not a "spectacular" ending (in the visual sense).
Other boss: the queen was probably made less "impressive" due to this inclusion.
Not much to say about it, it was made long to give more impact to the end.

Also about a difference with the original ending:
Samus not putting the Metroid in its iconic capsule and just letting it fly in the ship, the way she acted when it emerged: it felt like the writing was a bit more "Disney". The canon now is clearly that Samus loved the Metroid larva, sorry "baby", and totally didn't take advantage of it being confused or won't give it to scientists for them to examine and clone it.
I feel like a bit of characterisation was lost in translation, but I guess it's a "Hans shot first" situation.

molnizzle

Is it necessary to play Zero Mission before this game? The only Metroid I ever played was Super Metroid when it first launched on Wii U VC.

KingBroly

Banned
Also about a difference with the original ending:
Samus not putting the Metroid in its iconic capsule and just letting it fly in the ship, the way she acted when it emerged: it felt like the writing was a bit more "Disney". The canon now is clearly that Samus loved the Metroid larva, sorry "baby", and totally didn't take advantage of it being confused or won't give it to scientists for them to examine and clone it.
I feel like a bit of characterisation was lost in translation, but I guess it's a "Hans shot first" situation.

Samus never put it in a canister in the end of Metroid 2.

Samus never put it in a canister in the end of Metroid 2.

I managed to track down why I thought it was the case:

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SRHoliwell/20150130/235329/A_Maze_of_Murderscapes_Metroid_II.php

The genocide run ends with an ascension back to the planet surface and Samus' return to the comforting shelter of a ship ten tiles wide. The game has moved in a circle, following the cycle of life and death.
Once Samus touches the glowing capsule presumably for containing the metroid, the game is over.
I read that article long ago, my main interaction with the original game, and that passage stuck into my head. Another thing that was stuck in my head was
that that capsule was using the missile image,
but I couldn't find back where I read that trivia bit.

And actually looking at the ending here[►] you can clearly see the flashing
missile at the middle of the ship that people interpreted as being the capsule to contain the Metroid, not present before, that you have to touch to end the game.
So I thought this was the common interpretation. Is it not? ^_^"

Top Bottom