• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

drspeedy

Hmmm... I'm a massive Metroid fan- heck, 2 is my second favorite, and I have a pre-order for both the special edition (got in for the soundtrack, and will buy my first amiibo for that awesome lil squishy) and regular, but now I wonder if I should just cancel the special version, it sounds like they're not going to be rare or "special "in any particular way.

Anyone else getting slightly less hyped after the reviews dropped? From E3 forward it sound like this was going to be a complete return to form but now... maybe only slightly above average and not the 2D Samus we were looking for?

[/s]

Hmmm... I'm a massive Metroid fan- heck, 2 is my second favorite, and I have a pre-order for both the special edition (got in for the soundtrack, and will buy my first amiibo for that awesome lil squishy) but now I wonder if I should just cancel the special version, it sounds like they're not going to be rare or "special "in any particular way.

Anyone else getting slightly less hyped after the reviews dropped? From E3 forward it sound like this was going to be a complete return to form but now... maybe only slightly above average and not the 2D Samus we were looking for?

Are we reading the same reviews?

88 on Metacritic is only "slightly above average"? What are you even talking about?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I haven't played the game, but I have seen a few videos, recently watched a full playthrough of AM2R, and used to love Metroid 2's atmosphere back in the day. Never got far, but always had a good, scary time with it as a kid.

With all that said, everything I could sense might be wrong about this remake from watching videos, this Eurogamer review validates. From the aiming+counter mechanics that interrupt the flow of combat, to Samus's weird ninja acrobatics and 'gangly' demeanor to the gaudily colorful aesthetics. All of that you could see in the trailers, so I can't say I'm surprised, but I see I wasn't completely crazy for thinking something was off about the game.

Honestly, to me the game looks like Other M if you removed the Adam mechanic, stupid plot and first person segments. I guess Sakamoto/Nintendo/MercurySteam thought that people like the remaining core gameplay from Other M, but I honestly never saw it, and I don't even remember people praising that part of Other M back then. Samus is not a ninja. In my book, while she could obviously run and do screw attacks, she was always a heavily armored beast of a bounty hunter. Nothing really suggested agility, speed or femininity about her. But Other M and the 3DS remake crush that aspect of the character. A shame if you ask me, but I'll live. Not the biggest Metroid fan out there by any means. I'm hoping Metroid Prime 4 will get it right like MP1 did back in the 2000s.

diaspora

Hmmm... I'm a massive Metroid fan- heck, 2 is my second favorite, and I have a pre-order for both the special edition (got in for the soundtrack, and will buy my first amiibo for that awesome lil squishy) but now I wonder if I should just cancel the special version, it sounds like they're not going to be rare or "special "in any particular way.

Metroid: Samus Returns is ranked in the top 2.2% of games scored on OpenCritic

I knew mercury steam had it in them with the right guidance.
The LoS trio may have been inconsistent as all hell but the nuggets of quality within those titles are often understated.

Is this also a win for sakamoto as well? (I forget his involvement here) After the whole "never touch the series again!" angle some adopted, this could be a one two punch of crow serving.

Ridley327

I haven't played the game, but I have seen a few videos, recently watched a full playthrough of AM2R, and used to love Metroid 2's atmosphere back in the day. Never got far, but always had a good, scary time with it as a kid.

With all that said, everything I could sense might be wrong about this remake from watching videos, this Eurogamer review validates. From the aiming+counter mechanics that interrupt the flow of combat, to Samus's weird ninja acrobatics and 'gangly' demeanor to the gaudily colorful aesthetics. All of that you could see in the trailers, so I can't say I'm surprised, but I see I wasn't completely crazy for thinking something was off about the game.

Honestly, to me the game looks like Other M if you removed the Adam mechanic, stupid plot and first person segments. I guess Sakamoto/Nintendo/MercurySteam thought that people like the remaining core gameplay from Other M, but I honestly never saw it, and I don't even remember people praising that part of Other M back then. Samus is not a ninja. In my book, while she could obviously run and do screw attacks, she was always a heavily armored beast of a bounty hunter. Nothing really suggested agility, speed or femininity about her. But Other M and the 3DS remake crush that aspect of the character. A shame if you ask me, but I'll live. Not the biggest Metroid fan out there by any means. I'm hoping Metroid Prime 4 will get it right like MP1 did back in the 2000s.

A "heavily armored beast" has not described Samus since Super Metroid. We're talking about a character that can wall jump, use a grappling hook for momentum to propel her very far and has a special run attack that literally makes her fly.

...what?

The average score is exactly in line with the other 2d metroids. Given that reviews got harsher since the GBA era, it's doing well.

CronoShot

What? I suppose flipping through the air, wall jumping, and speed boosting didn't tip you off that Samus is pretty agile and quick in most of the games. It's really only Prime where she's more of a tank.

Neiteio

The EZA review makes this look pretty much perfect. Overrides any and all concerns raised by the Eurogamer review. Ben Moore loved just about everything, and seeing the video examples of what he's talking about is good assurance this will be great.

Marcel

Congratulations to MercurySteam to mostly sticking the landing...but that doesn't mean I'm going to reward them financially after they killed Castlevania.

88 Metacritic but one negative review and that's all you need to be out on the game? Come on now.

Congratulations to MercurySteam to mostly sticking the landing...but that doesn't mean I'm going to reward them financially after they killed Castlevania.

They only did what Konami told them to do

88 Metacritic but one negative review and that's all you need to be out on the game? Come on now.
Looks to me like he was looking for that one review to support his preconceived notions. I'm sure like the original this won't be for everyone because it does have a weird progression system and obvious repetition (kill 40 Metroids that are largely similar) to its structure, but yeah.

That doesn't seem like MercurySteam's fault. Plus if Metroid can make a come back, so can Castlevania (and Konami at that).

I've been avoiding footage and details in general since I was sold on reveal. But I'm really hoping the atmosphere and music is just as dank and miserable as the OG.

Maiar_m

The EZA review makes this look pretty much perfect. Overrides any and all concerns raised by the Eurogamer review. Ben Moore loved just about everything, and seeing the video examples of what he's talking about is good assurance this will be great.

Yeah it seems like personal preference but it does show too in the EA video: if you dig the counter attack and don't find it detrimental to the game's rhythm then you're set, but it does clearly stop you in your tracks and if you're not enjoying that, and purists may be on that side of the fence, then I can see it be an unwelcome addition.

Uh, surely this would make it clear it wasn't the fault of the people at MS, but the people overheard giving them a bad direction?

Interesting to see Parish (for one) on the outside looking in, as his is one of the only bylines I look for where Metroid is concerned.

Not reading further for now as I want to go in fresh, but I like that we look to be in for a Metroid game that is competent yet still divisive (as one built on the structure of Metroid II was bound to be). Yes, we all want the series to hit the heights of SM again, but I like that each of the 2D games sets its own priorities and distinguishes itself in play style and flow, as much as I prefer the SM direction over the Fusion direction, if you know what I mean. It will be nice to have a game to argue about again on the level of design philosophy and vision, on a shared agreement that it does what it sets out to do, without the foibles of execution or confused priorities that peppered Other M and held it back from being the game it could have been.

Garlador

I'm pretty sure someone else shares more blame for them than that...
UnknownPitifulChupacabra.gif

Honestly, reading the reviews it sounds like MercurySteam didn't just mostly stick the landing... they've full-on knocked it out of the park.
latest

Servbot24

Banned

They shall know the wrath of your Gamer Justice as you dangle them like puppets from your strings

GeekyDad

Was just watching GameXplain's video review (which, by the way, in my opinion shows way too much of stuff that doesn't seem to be the early game), and though they "Loved" it, one of their complaints seemed kind of ridiculous. Complained that there was a segment with spikes that they couldn't figure out how to get through, and it was frustrating that it wasn't more clear. Kinda seems like one of the main reasons you buy a Metroid game.

john tv

Was just watching GameXplain's video review (which, by the way, in my opinions shows way too much of stuff that doesn't seem to be the early game), and though they "Loved" it, one of their complaints seemed kind of ridiculous. Complained that there was a segment with spikes that the couldn't figure out how to get through, and it was frustrating that it wasn't more clear. Kinda seems like one of the main reasons you buy a Metroid game.
If they're talking about what I think they're talking about, it's a legitimate complaint. It took me forever to figure that out, and it was mostly luck. On rare (very rare) occasions, the game does a shit job of explaining what you need to do to proceed past a new obstacle - but moooost of the time it's good.

Was just watching GameXplain's video review (which, by the way, in my opinion shows way too much of stuff that doesn't seem to be the early game), and though they "Loved" it, one of their complaints seemed kind of ridiculous. Complained that there was a segment with spikes that the couldn't figure out how to get through, and it was frustrating that it wasn't more clear. Kinda seems like one of the main reasons you buy a Metroid game.

Those spikes are no joke. It had me and 10 other reviewers collaborating for days to try and solve it. The solution obviously makes you feel dumb.

Spikes only hide missile upgrades so they aren't mandatory for completion anyway.

kyo2004

Excellent news, can't wait to play this game... The only downside for me, is waiting my preorder (Amazon) until late September with international shipping... :)

Hasn't Samus been doing jumps and flips since Super Metroid? Do you hate how she's portrayed in Smash Bros too?

On the game itself it's fantastic to hear it's doing well. Though I may have to wait a while before I can buy it myself I'll get it as soon as I'm able.

Marcel

Mercury didn't have Nintendo's help on Castlevania tho

Yeah, Nintendo basically guiding them on the right path was probably invaluable to the success of this game. MS left to their own devices gets you LoS2, complete with massive project mismanagement with the blame squarely on MS co-founder Enric Alvarez.

Was just watching GameXplain's video review (which, by the way, in my opinion shows way too much of stuff that doesn't seem to be the early game), and though they "Loved" it, one of their complaints seemed kind of ridiculous. Complained that there was a segment with spikes that they couldn't figure out how to get through, and it was frustrating that it wasn't more clear. Kinda seems like one of the main reasons you buy a Metroid game.

Took me 30 minutes to get that powerup, but it felt amazing when I found the solution (it was also kinda logical ad that point, but still...). Reminded me of the first time I discovered the speed jump in Super Metroid.

Those spikes are no joke. It had me and 10 other reviewers collaborating for days to try and solve it. The solution obviously makes you feel dumb.

Spikes only hide missile upgrades so they aren't mandatory for completion anyway.

Damn, I was alone thinking "all those other reviewers have probably found the solution after 3 seconds"

Nintenleo

3DS officially got the best lineup for a console since SNES. A great 2D Metroid is everything was left.

And what a year for Nintendo games reviews.

Saoshyant

USGamer's review

I was delighted by Metroid: Samus Returns. It hits pretty much every note you hope to see in a Metroid game, and MercurySteam's console background is evident in their flair for the dramatic— whether in their introductory cutscenes or their boss battles. Their dramatic reinvention reinvigorates the source material and strengthens the story's bridge to Super Metroid. In short: They nailed it.

5/5

Yeah, Nintendo basically guiding them on the right path was probably invaluable to the success of this game. MS left to their own devices gets you LoS2, complete with massive project mismanagement with the blame squarely on MS co-founder Enric Alvarez.

okay? sometimes guidance is the most important ingredient to make a team shine, which was the case with retro studios and now mercury steam. It's not MS's fault that konami stopped making castlevania games and didn't have igarashi produce more 2d titles.

Damn, I was alone thinking "all those other reviewers have probably found the solution after 3 seconds"

Nope! We were going around asking everyone we knew with the game if they had any idea how to solve it. No one did! lol.

We worked it out in the end thankfully.

Top Bottom