• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Taxman

GameInformer: 9.75
Samus’ last 2D adventure was in 2004 with the GBA release Metroid: Zero Mission, which was a remake of the original Metroid. Despite the lengthy hiatus between 2D entries, I was initially disappointed to hear that MercurySteam’s Metroid project was another remake. However, Samus Returns has enough unique content that it feels like a worthy sequel. MercurySteam’s first outing with the franchise is also different enough from the recent fan remake AM2R, so fans shouldn’t hesitate to pick up this rare gem. This might be Samus’ first 2D adventure in more than a dozen years, but it’s a great reminder of why we fell in love with the franchise in the first place.

Hopefully the positive reception will lead to incredible sales, and incredible sales will lead to Nintendo enlisting MercuryStream for another, hopefully original take on 2.5D Metroid. I Dread to think of what they can do with a unique story and scenario.

I hate the hardware, but man it delivered on the software front.

Get yourself any of the new systems (2DS XL/3DS/3DS XL) and you will change your mind. I have one of the black friday models and love it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What? I suppose flipping through the air, wall jumping, and speed boosting didn't tip you off that Samus is pretty agile and quick in most of the games. It's really only Prime where she's more of a tank.

That's the thing I have a hard time putting into words: yes, she does have all the moves you mention, I'm well aware of that. But most of it, to me, looked more like the result of her technology being upgraded and allowing her to perform feats only a machine/robot could achieve. Even Fusion still retained some of that feel.

By contrast, Other M/3DS Samus Returns Samus feels like she is this super ninja from the get-go. She feels like the suit is just cosmetics. Part of the feel comes from how she physically looks (much leaner than in previous incarnations), and part of it comes from how she runs and how quickly she moves about. Also, the finishing moves. I'm sure many would find this to be a nitpick, and that's fine. More power to you if you like/don't mind this particular take on Samus. I don't. It feels like somebody else in the suit.

I do agree that Prime leaned in on the heaviness though. But that's less of a problem because, to me, she was always more of a heavy character than an acrobat. Yes, even with the spring jump and all.

If I had to invent a comparable situation, it would be as if Nintendo started to give Mario a bit too much firepower: yes, he has the fire flower and the starman and the hammer bros. suit. He's used power ups and weapons before. Does that make him a gunslinger/ranged attacker? No. He's a jumping fat plumber who runs somewhat fat and can gain some magic powers for a bit, that's it.

That's kinda how this Samus feels to me. I think I don't like the idea that you're in this very hostile, lonely, creepy environment, yet you're acting all cool, pulling off QTE finishers and counters and running like Naruto is your tight-fitting suit. Past Samus felt more methodical, deliberate and to-the-point. Like a bounty hunter.

88 Metacritic but one negative review and that's all you need to be out on the game? Come on now.

So? I'm not saying other reviewers are wrong to like it. People will like what they like. I'm saying this particular review resonated with my impressions. The fact that it's Eurogamer is the cherry on top, as I usually find their content pretty good.

Is this the highest rated game that Mercury Steam has ever developed? Nintendo elevating another studio. Hopefully, this is the start of future projects for both.

Also, I can't believe we are merely days away from a new (sorta) 2D Metroid that is a return to the classics. With Super Metroid one of my all-time favorites I am getting super hyped.

So... the next 2D Metroid to be a remake of Super Metroid? Holy shit if so.

No, enough with the remakes. Metroid 1 & 2 needed them because of how old and archaic they are. We don't need remakes of any of the other games, especially Super.

Just move on and make Metroid 5 already. It's hard to believe that they haven't continued the series' storyline since 2002.

Nintenleo

I think people really do forget just how much quality software the 3DS has gotten over its lifetime.

Exactly, I think that the astonishing number of good games is only held back by the hardware itself. The screens don't really do justice to the wonderful titles published on the system. But man, there's a lot of good shit to play on it (without even considering DS titles and Virtual Console).

Toxi

Banned
What? I suppose flipping through the air, wall jumping, and speed boosting didn't tip you off that Samus is pretty agile and quick in most of the games. It's really only Prime where she's more of a tank.
And Metroid. And Metroid 2. You're pretty damn slow in those games.

GeekyDad

Took me 30 minutes to get that powerup, but it felt amazing when I found the solution (it was also kinda logical ad that point, but still...). Reminded me of the first time I discovered the speed jump in Super Metroid.

Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. There have been complaints that the new radar system makes it too easy to find things, but when the game challenges you to be resourceful or think outside the box, then there's criticism about that as well. I don't know...it just seems like those kinds of riddling moments are what these games are all about.

Anteo

That's the thing I have a hard time putting into words: yes, she does have all the moves you mention, I'm well aware of that. But most of it, to me, looked more like the result of her technology being upgraded and allowing her to perform feats only a machine/robot could achieve. Even Fusion still retained some of that feel.

By contrast, Other M/3DS Samus Returns Samus feels like she is this super ninja from the get-go. She feels like the suit is just cosmetics. Part of the feel comes from how she physically looks (much leaner than in previous incarnations), and part of it comes from how she runs and how quickly she moves about. I'm sure many would find this to be a nitpick, and that's fine. More power to you if you like/don't mind this particular take on Samus. I don't. It feels like somebody else in the suit.

I do agree that Prime leaned in on the heaviness though. But that's less of a problem because, to me, she was always more of a heavy character than an acrobat. Yes, even with the spring jump and all.

If I had to invent a comparable situation, it would be as if Nintendo started to give Mario a bit too much firepower: yes, he has the fire flower and the starman and the hammer bros. suit. He's used power ups and weapons before. Does that make him a gunslinger/ranged attacker? No. He's a jumping fat plumber who runs somewhat fat and can gain some magic powers for a bit, that's it.

So? I'm not saying other reviewers are wrong to like it. People will like what they like. I'm saying this particular review resonated with my impressions. The fact that it's Eurogamer is the cherry on top, as I usually find their content pretty good.

Well that bit started in zero mission, heck Id argue that it started in fusion as her power suit was basically a gun and a helmet and we had a weakened samus that had barely survived the X doing flips all around.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
V81M94d.gif

eXistor

You can't remake perfection.

Just scoring above Lords of Shadow.

Why the hell did people like Lords of Shadow so much?

I was just happy a new big-budget Castlevania was being made. Looking back, the game was kinda pants, but they did a few things right at least.

Ridley327

And Metroid. And Metroid 2. You're pretty damn slow in those games.

Is that by design or due to the limitations of those machines? Considering that every design cue the series has had comes straight from Super, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

KingBroly

Banned

If they remade Super, it would be worse. There's no question about that.

IMO, Sakamoto needs to make a Metroid that focuses on exploration. Not story or combat. But I get the impression he won't, because that's not what he wants to do with the series. And until he does, Metroid's not evolving past Super Metroid.

I think people really do forget just how much quality software the 3DS has gotten over its lifetime.

Give it a year or two, the 3DS is destined to become the subject of hundreds of 'top 75' lists decrying it as yet another system of 'hidden gems', the majority of which were all clearly in plain sight during its lifetime.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting to me how there is a divide on this game between those that love it and those who are disappointed. That variance is probably good and what we should realistically expect to see with more game reviews, though.

Toxi

Banned
It's interesting to me how there is a divide on this game between those that love it and those who are disappointed. That variance is probably good and what we should realistically expect to see with more game reviews, though.
I'm only really seeing that divide in 1 or 2 reviews. The vast majority of them fucking love the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any reports on how lengthy the game is?

I'm still not sold on the art style or combat but I'm pleased to see this score so well. Metroid II was my entry point to the series so getting to play a second remake/reimagining is more than welcome.

Menitta

Is that by design or due to the limitations of those machines? Considering that every design cue the series has had comes straight from Super, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

For Metroid 1 at least, it was by design. They made the levels then increased Samus's speed a bit and found out that she was too fast to maneuver in the space. Something to that effect at least.

Edit: No I'm wrong. They thought Samus moved too slow, increased her movement speed, then also made bigger levels.

john tv

Any reports on how lengthy the game is?
Took me 19 hours to 100%, but I heard someone else say they got 100% in like 13 hours. I know someone else who finished it in 7.5 hours (not going for 100%). I imagine if you know what you're doing, you can blaze through it fairly quickly (3-4 hours?).

Marcel

What is this "Nintendo is back" nonsense with regard to their software? WiiU had great games even if the system was an absolute financial dud and 3DS was always solid in that department as well.

Toxi

Banned
It's likely the design changed as the series progressed, in the same way we've long abandoned the floaty jump still present in Super Metroid.

Toxi

Banned
Looks a blind playthrough is 6-7 hours without going for 100% items, with that one looking to be 10+ hours. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid, to say the least.
That's longer than/as long as Super Metroid. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant post-Queen addition.

Galang

Banned
Damn I'm shocked it's scoring this high! I was expecting high 70s at best. I wrote the game off because of how it looks, but glad the game turned out to be amazing. Some of the posts implying 8.5 isn't high though... scary.

Top Bottom