• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroidvania Community Game-Along: You are already lost

Hell yeah!, I'm in. I'd like to play Cave Story. Any recommendations about which version to get? I'd like to get the 3DS version, but I hear it's rare now.

3ds version is $10,00 on eshop, not sure what youre talking about?

Btw, does anyone know what cavestory 3D is? Its not just a version of Cave Story, I know that, but Im confused as to what it actually is

Jigorath

Banned
Thanks, that's awesome! When I tried to load the thread on Chrome I got a danger: Malware ahead alert though?? Have no idea why, everything else on GAF loads fine for me. Does this thread load for anyone else?

Got a malware warning as well.

I am now playing Knytt Underground on Vita, to get all the trophies, it is a quite charming game with a big emphasis on exploration, although at the same time, it is one of those games people love or hate.

zBwPjUD.jpg

Yepp, I'm all set.

I still have a boxed copy of this for my Sega CD. Great game. Though, it's a Faxanadu clone, god damn it! :p

What game is that?

Popful Mail for the Sega CD. The game was localized by Working Designs.

Popful Mail. An excellent (and expensive) game.

I think I remember paying like $10.00 for this one from a Hollywood Video outlet way back in the late 90`s when they were trying to unload a lot of old 16bit games to make room for the Playstation and Saturn games. It goes for a sickly amount now on EBay.

Ocaso

3ds version is $10,00 on eshop, not sure what youre talking about?

Btw, does anyone know what cavestory 3D is? Its not just a version of Cave Story, I know that, but Im confused as to what it actually is

Cave Story 3D is a full on polygonal remake of Cave Story released for the 3DS. It's also one of the console's most underrated gems and the only way to own a Cave Story cartridge. People unfairly derided it at launch for lacking the same visual charm the original pixels had, but that was never the point of the port. It was to create a 3D remake that retained the spirit of the original, and in that they succeeded. Check it out if you have the chance.

As long as we're on the subject of Cave Story, these threads always disappoint me somewhat because half the games recommended lack the appeal that comes from proper implementation of the Metroid formula, and what I personally feel distinguishes these so called "Metroidvanias". I hate the term and it's responsible for so many disparate titles being conflated. The thread title says it: you should be lost in this type of game. You don't get lost in Cave Story because it's not really that type of game, even as it shares some of its elements. I personally think we should call them pathfinding games as it makes the distinction clearer.

Some freeware PC recommendations from me include Lyle in Cube Sector and An Untitled Story. You will get lost in those games. Enjoy it!

Faustek

Popful Mail for the Sega CD. The game was localized by Working Designs.

I think I remember paying like $10.00 for this one from a Hollywood Video outlet way back in the late 90`s when they were trying to unload a lot of old 16bit games to make room for the Playstation and Saturn games. It goes for a sickly amount now on EBay.

Heh, I paid zero for it first time. Got it as a present from my father but this time around in had to fork over $110 for it on eBay.

Said it before and will say it again.

Never ever sell your collections.

Costs to much in both time and money to replace :/

Enk

makes good threads.
Do it for MetroidvaniaMay! ;)

I could try. Don't have as much free time as I use to these days, and also there's been a barrage of side scrolling adventure games coming out in recent years to sort through (a lot of them not so good).

Maedhros

Man, Treasure Adventure Game was amazing! I can't recommend it enough! The lore is pretty interesting and the themes were well delivered.

Anything else?

XaosWolf

Well I've already played most of the ones I've heard of...
Maybe Shantae? Last I did on that was order a copy on eBay which never arrived.

I'd love to get stuck into La-Mulana, but Kirby and the like will push that aside sharpish. =P

EDIT: Cave Story just came out on the 3DS eShop in the EU. Does playing that again count at all?
Also just realised that Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night on the GBA is blatantly a Metroidvania. I'm currently playing that.

.J.

Banned
Any interest in expanding this to 3-D games? There are a lot out there, and having an opportunity to analyze those in direct contrast to their 2-D ancestors might be interesting.

(It would also give me an excuse to start clearing my backlog.)

apricot

EDIT: Cave Story just came out on the 3DS eShop in the EU. Does playing that again count at all?
Also just realised that Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night on the GBA is blatantly a Metroidvania. I'm currently playing that.

You're more than welcome to replay Cave Story! And I heard that Spyro game was a Metroidvania... How neat!

Any interest in expanding this to 3-D games? There are a lot out there, and having an opportunity to analyze those in direct contrast to their 2-D ancestors might be interesting.

(It would also give me an excuse to start clearing my backlog.)

You're welcome to do 3D games if they fit the other criteria of "Metroidvania" titles! I'm certainly no expert, but I imagine there must be some 3D Metroidvania titles out there.

Also I want to reiterate that the titles mentioned in the OP are just a *few* suggestions, so don't take that to be a definitive list

Maedhros

Finished An Untitled Story. A pretty good, overall, metroidvania game. Lots of secrets, good adventure, some great boss fights. The graphics style and music is somewhat bad for me, but I could deal with it.

Rizzi

I've been playing Cave Story on my 3DS lately.
Never played it before, so it's good to see why everyone seems to love it.

apricot

Finished An Untitled Story. A pretty good, overall, metroidvania game. Lots of secrets, good adventure, some great boss fights. The graphics style and music is somewhat bad for me, but I could deal with it.

Awesome! I've never heard of that one, actually.

I've been trying to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but I just don't know if this genre is for me. That or I'm too interested in Monster Hunter right now >_> either way it isn't holding my attention...

There is a dedicated category for Metroidvanias on Steam now.

You Have to Win the Game, Full Bore, Lunnye Devitsy, Wake, The Cave, Bad Bots, A Valley Without Wind 2, VVVVVV and Wonderboy in Monster World are missing, but you can help them get on there by tagging them.
GOG kind of has one too.

I was thinking of starting a Metroidvania wiki on Wikia but is there anything like that already? It would be nice to have a reference for all the games of that genre in one place.

genjiZERO

Was thinking about picking up Cave Story, but what version should I get? I'd prefer to play it on my 3DS, but I don't want the 3DS version (because I think the original looks better) unless it actually plays better.

Dr. Buni

Was thinking about picking up Cave Story, but what version should I get? I'd prefer to play it on my 3DS, but I don't want the 3DS version (because I think the original looks better) unless it actually plays better.
They say the original version has better controls. I only played it, so I can't tell you for sure. But yeah, it definitely looks better than the 3DS ~~remake~~

0xCA2

I recently finished Zero Mission. I think I like it as much, if not more, than Super Metroid. Maybe I'm imagining things, but I also feel like it was a harder game.

So play the PC version? Any idea about the DSi version?

There are two versions on the 3DS: the 3D remake (I do not recommend) and then a version that is similar to the DSi version but has widescreen support.

I would suggest either the 2D 3DS eShop version or the PC version. The PC version (Cave Story+) has support for the original music and sprites. :) Or you could even just play the original freeware version!

I didn't realize this was Metroidvania! I have it in my Steam library :O
It's very similar to Wonder Boy in Monster World and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. There's no maps, but there's a lot of exploration, backtracking, etc. The dungeons are pretty labyrinthine and it's easy to get lost, especially the last one. It's one of my favorite indie (doujin) games. A lot of people think it's hard, but with the exception of the last dungeon, I didn't think it was difficult at all and I was playing with a keyboard and I suck at using a keyboard when playing games.

Novocaine

The last one I played was Strider. I enjoyed it but I don't think I'll ever go back to it.

So I have a few on my radar that I'm interested in trying, can anyone convince me on one over the others?

Knytt Underground
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Outland

And for a recommendation there is a Metroidvania game for PC called Hero Core. It's not very long and it's not overly hard, but it was fun. It's also free so there's no reason to not check it out.

4zVLryu.jpg

Top Bottom