• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGO Update! Up Now... Plus Downloadable Expansion pack 1

GodofWine

Will this allow you to change your characters clothes / color etc ?? or just make a second one...

All I ask is the ability to change what color I wear based on the map Im on...how tactical is it running around in a black ninja suit on the sand colored map? Konami!!!!!!

With the upcoming titles that support so much more online (SOCOM, R2, KZ2), I see this one being left out.

The maps should be free this round...don't hack the community in half this fast.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
kairu said:
is it $12? I've heard $10 as well. WTF is going on!
There are 2 versions.

Gene for $11.99 - comes with everything

Gene Plus for $14.99 - comes with everything + a character slot

The community is still pretty active. Depending on the time you play there are 1000 to 2000 players online and you always find a good game.
There's basically no one using a headset, though. The voice chat quality is pretty horrible, too, so most people use the preset codec snippets, which works very well actually.

hulot

slaughterking said:
The community is still pretty active. Depending on the time you play there are 1000 to 2000 players online and you always find a good game.
There's basically no one using a headset, though. The voice chat quality is pretty horrible, too, so most people use the preset codec snippets, which works very well actually.

I was worried it was just my headset. Good (?) to know it's a widespread issue. Servers still down? Hopefully they'll be back up when I get home.

SumGamer

slaughterking said:

I think the problem is the total connection speed meaning that if someone in the room is lagged, you wont be chatting very clearly. Otherwise the quality is actually pristine.

kairu

Thanks Nozdeuce,
I updated the post about it on my site and credited you. So whos gonna buy this update? I think I probably will.

Because its not from PSN is there any way to back this up, or are you screwed if you change hard drives?

test_account

XP-39C²
I earlier said (in this thread: click here) that i would get this expansion pack at day one, but it seems i wont be able to do that after all since the Metal Gear Online store where you buy the expansion pack is too busy to log into for me, atleast at the moment :(

kairu

Teknoman said:
Wait so the reward shop is for everyone then, not just expansion owners?

Nope, I think reward shop is just for expansion. Because you earn the points for it from survival mode, which is also expansion only.

LowParry

bran said:
Trying to recoup MGS4 development costs?

Being little bitches.

^^ both

Yes. Creating your own online component vs already implemented component makes up for that money. How sweet it is.

Indeed said:
pa.131910.1.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-2ts6.html

Oh wow, sweet cover art. Can I download a large version of that anywhere?

Zeppu

not out yet in eu?

edit: just noticed that this is not in the ps store but in the mgo shop :/
is there anyway to aquire the update if I live in one of the countries where the mgo shop is not available?

Corrupt

Ok, I've downloaded the update, but the MGO shop is currently under maintanence :( Any impressions from people who's purchased the map pack?

Edit: And how long have you been able to customise your character's appearance after creating it? I never noticed that option in Personal Data until now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kairu said:
Nope, I think reward shop is just for expansion. Because you earn the points for it from survival mode, which is also expansion only.
Reward shop is for everybody, but you can only earn new points by playing Survival Mode. Every character created before today automatically gets 500 points.

josephdebono said:
not out yet in eu?

edit: just noticed that this is not in the ps store but in the mgo shop :/
is there anyway to aquire the update if I live in one of the countries where the mgo shop is not available?
No, the update with the locked gene expansion is free for everybody, but you need to purchase it from the MGO shop for Konami to add your Game ID to the allow Gene expansion use list.

-xBerserker- said:
For the extra character slot can you keep your same online name and stats? Or will it be a different one?
No, each character is unique. That means unique name, unique stats, unique friends/clan, and unique reward points. DLC bought from the MGO shop is available to all character slots.

Corrupt said:
Ok, I've downloaded the update, but the MGO shop is currently under maintanence :( Any impressions from people who's purchased the map pack?

Edit: And how long have you been able to customise your character's appearance after creating it? I never noticed that option in Personal Data until now.
Hardly anybody has been able to purchase the pack. Last night I only saw one person who was able to successfully purchase the pack and create a room using them out of the 550 people in the lobby. Right now there's 0 Gene map room and around ~1700 people online.

The character customization has been there since launch, but it only allowed you to equip/unequip accessorize you chose when you originally created your character.

sakuragi

Banned
CcrooK said:
Yes. Creating your own online component vs already implemented component makes up for that money. How sweet it is.

I think its got something to do with Sony getting a certain percentage on anything bought via the PSN store. Selling it on Konami's website = maximum profit - server maintenance costs.

I guess Konami gets a free pass from Sony for MGS4 being exclusive.

panda21

Killthee said:
The character customization has been there since launch, but you could equip/unequip accessories until today.

wait you mean you can change your accessories now? for free or as part of the reward shop thing? it was always there but didnt actually let you do anything

Killthee

panda21 said:
wait you mean you can change your accessories now? for free or as part of the reward shop thing? it was always there but didnt actually let you do anything
You could always equip/unequip the accessories you got for your character (for free), the problem was that you couldn't change them because the only stuff available to you was the stuff you chose when you created your character.

Fixed my original post.

darkvir

awesome stuff, will pick up this gene expansion tonight~! can't wait for raiden/vamp to be thrown into the mix with new game modes. 15 vs 1~!!!

itxaka

Defeatist
ummm.

So gene gives you 2 new unique characters/female character but you cannot use them because you need an extra slot only available separated or buying gene plus?

I really don´t get it. I´ll probably buy it thougth, don´t want to leave alone while others keep playing new maps :_(

Killthee

itxaka said:
ummm.

So gene gives you 2 new unique characters/female character but you cannot use them because you need an extra slot only available separated or buying gene plus?

I really don´t get it. I´ll probably buy it thougth, don´t want to leave alone while others keep playing new maps :_(
The 2 unique characters are randomly selected in game or you can use them in training mode. Kinda like Snake and MK in sneaking mode.

kairu

I wish for games like this they'd just let you install it entirely on the hard drive. Its a pain having to launch MGS4, then MGO. It was much more direct when doing the beta.

BeeDog

kairu said:
I wish for games like this they'd just let you install it entirely on the hard drive. Its a pain having to launch MGS4, then MGO. It was much more direct when doing the beta.

Indeed, that's my biggest request; add a switch to the MGS4 options that let you boot directly into MGO, without having to wait through the whole bootup part with several loading screens.

test_account

XP-39C²
kairu said:
BeeDog said:
Indeed, that's my biggest request; add a switch to the MGS4 options that let you boot directly into MGO, without having to wait through the whole bootup part with several loading screens.
I agree with this as well. I wish there were any way to launch Metal Gear Online directly without having to launch Metal Gear Solid 4 first (and without having bought the Metal Gear Online standalone game of course). I think its ok to launch Metal Gear Online through Metal Gear Solid 4's main menu though since i usually play MGO for some time when i first start to play it, but still i would prefer to launch MGO directly without having to go through Metal Gear Solid 4's main menu :)

panda21

i think when johnny's stamina runs out/almost runs out, he shits?!

then leaves little yellow smell clouds behind

i assume you can still knock him out normally

virtuos vista is pretty much identical to that bit in the game.

the girls are pretty cool, mine looks ace

johnny seems to have one of the girl voices

Killthee

I got lucky :D

V.V.

VirtuousVista_2.jpg

VirtuousVista_1.jpg

VirtuousVista.jpg

VirtuousVista_4.jpg

VirtuousVista_3.jpg

Johnny can see all traps in a stage, he is a "Trap Otaku". When Johnny gets close to a trap he can disable it via his arm computer by pressing triangle. The trap will disable and become a item that can be picked up by anybody. Johnny does not have a salute, he does a victory pose instead. Johnny cannot use SOP or do CQC. He has access to the XM8 Compact Assault Rifle and the M82A2 Sniper. Johnny freaks out if he causes Friendly Fire.

C.C.

CoppertownConflict.jpg

CoppertownConflict_1.jpg

CoppertownConflict_2.jpg

CoppertownConflict_3.jpg

CoppertownConflict_4.jpg

CoppertownConflict_5.jpg

CoppertownConflict_6.jpg

Meryl has (mastered?) the pistol skill, CQC, and the new wakeup skill, she is a "Fiery Leader". She can wakeup a knocked out teammate with one tap and boost nearby teammates spirits to help them recover Psyche. Meryl has access to the D.E. (L.B.) Primary Hand Gun.

T.T.

TombofTubes.jpg

TombofTubes_1.jpg

TombofTubes_2.jpg

TombofTubes_3.jpg

The last shot is a shot of camo on while playing dead in the water.

Unique characters are a common server setting. If you enable them you have to choose a unique character for red and one for blue. Only Johnny and Meryl are currently available.

I just want Raikov back so I can spend entire rounds running around grabbing people's crotch and then running away without kill them.

panda21

just played team sneaking on coppertown (AWESOME map)

i was on the team defending the duck thing (no stealth camo), sneaking person knocked me out then knifed me.

then instead of just lying there dead watching everyone else, something kind of like the thing where the frog unit die happened, i turned stealth but with weird firey stuff, all my voice things turned to ?????? and made 'uhhhhhhhh' sounds.

couldnt use my weapons etc any more, could switch cameras as usual with L2, R2. from my team mates cam i could see me with the crazy flames, don't know if they could actually see me though. i could see their name hovering over the sneaking person so i ran around them to try and show my team mate where they were, don't think sneaking person could see me.

what the hell?! is this new since the patch? i could swear this never happened before!

Killthee

panda21 said:
just played team sneaking on coppertown (AWESOME map)

i was on the team defending the duck thing (no stealth camo), sneaking person knocked me out then knifed me.

then instead of just lying there dead watching everyone else, something kind of like the thing where the frog unit die happened, i turned stealth but with weird firey stuff, all my voice things turned to ?????? and made 'uhhhhhhhh' sounds.

couldnt use my weapons etc any more, could switch cameras as usual with L2, R2. from my team mates cam i could see me with the crazy flames, don't know if they could actually see me though. i could see their name hovering over the sneaking person so i ran around them to try and show my team mate where they were, don't think sneaking person could see me.

what the hell?! is this new since the patch? i could swear this never happened before!
Been there since launch, it's an option when creating a server, it's called Ghost Pranks. It's off by default.

Uhm, maybe its just my imagination, but is it possible the update deactivated the ENVG for TSNE missions? I could swear I have not seen one single ENVG today.
Would be totally awesome, if true. :O

Been there since launch, it's an option when creating a server, it's called Ghost Pranks. It's off by default.
Its fucking annoying, too. D:<

Oh my god, is Coppertown an update of Brown Town from the original MGO? If so I can't fucking WAIT to back into it. And if not, I still can't wait.

Top Bottom