• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGO Update! Up Now... Plus Downloadable Expansion pack 1

Wurm

Banned
I dont really understand the waves of "I'm boycotting this!!". Is boycotting the new magazine rack? Or are you people that dont really play MGO currently and so werent really interested in extra maps anyway? If youre enjoying playing a game, then theres no reason to stop playing it.

Sure the Konami ID rigmarole was tedious on first signing up, and they should definitely stop scrimping on Update/Patch download servers, but I've found at the core of it a very addictive online game that they've also seen fit to balance and listen to criticisms over in the latest FREE update. If you dont want the new maps, fair enough. I've didnt buy the 2nd map-pack for Halo 3 because I realised I just didnt play the game online enough to justify it.

MGO was intended to be sold separately way back when, but we got the main chunk of it for free. Then people forget we also got a whole new mode, Team Sneaking, the other week for free as well.

Although I will be annoyed if the Expansion price is a typical case of Euro = GBP, though. How much is the update in GBP?

Jag22

Banned
Wurm said:
I

MGO was intended to be sold separately way back when, but we got the main chunk of it for free. Then people forget we also got a whole new mode, Team Sneaking, the other week for free as well.

Most games include multiplayer along with single player for free. Lets not forget to mention most games include about a dozen maps, multiple characters and multiple gametypes as well.

panda21

when is the MGO segway expansion coming thats what i want to know

edit:
noticed how it says 'to keep off the cold' or something in the tutorial about johnny/meryl's balaclavas...

does that mean theyre doing a shadow moses level? i mean seems pretty obvious they will but man that would be soooo sweet...

SumGamer

Metalmurphy said:
Erm, no, they're charging for an expantion pack, that brings a new mode, as well as 3 maps, 2 skills and 2 characters.

You get 2 skills for free with 1.10.
They are charging for
- 2 character you cant choose on your free will.
- 3 maps you will not get to play coz nobody gets it.

Shito

And female characters and a new mode that lets you earn points in order to change the appearance of your player.
Can we move on from this "they're only charging for nothing!" argument? We're turning in circles since the first annoucement there.
So, did anyone manage to access the reward shop before it was locked down? Do we know what's in there?

panda21

do we even know if they are charging to play as a female or is it just part of the update? you can play as a girl with people who didnt buy the expansion

you've always been able to delete your character and start over for free if you really didnt like the way they look as far as i know.. or do you have to pay to delete them?!

wish they would hurry up and put the server back up already!

panda21

think theyre back up at 8pm but i'm not sure i trust their BST times, everyone always gets that wrong for some reason!

SumGamer

Shito said:
So, did anyone manage to access the reward shop before it was locked down? Do we know what's in there?

I did. I don't see anything new in there though, by 'new' I mean those weren't available when you first create your character. Meaning that at this stage you can only buy stuff that's availableon the first day. I think there are some new helmet like the berret though. Can't remember the price but I think they range aroun 500 RP.

Shito

Now if there ain't any cool *new* gear to buy, the survival mode kinda sucks and is quite pointless for now.
Well, at least it makes this whole "can't buy the expansion / can't play the new mode yet" thing way less painful.

itxaka

Defeatist
Shito said:
Concerning this IP blocking thing: you do understand it only concerns the MGO shop, right, and not the access to the game itself?
Because, yeah, it's an half-assed patch that's really lame, but for it to deserve such a huge reaction from everyone...?

I haven´t be able to even enter the shop since yesterday nigth. The ip random banning it doesn´t even help to get load of their servers. It´s like the beta all over again ¬_¬

LAMBO

Well i really like MGO, but i hate buying DLC.

But thankfully Konami never sends me by Konmai ID confirmation email so i can't even access the store, and will never be suckered into buying DLC from them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SumGamer said:
You get 2 skills for free with 1.10.
They are charging for
- 2 character you cant choose on your free will.
- 3 maps you will not get to play coz nobody gets it.
+ Access to the Survival Lobbies

Shito said:
And female characters and a new mode that lets you earn points in order to change the appearance of your player.
Can we move on from this "they're only charging for nothing!" argument? We're turning in circles since the first annoucement there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12018351&postcount=3543

SumGamer said:
I did. I don't see anything new in there though, by 'new' I mean those weren't available when you first create your character. Meaning that at this stage you can only buy stuff that's availableon the first day. I think there are some new helmet like the berret though. Can't remember the price but I think they range aroun 500 RP.
More like 10,000 for the crappy colors, 50,000 for the red one.

kairu

what the hell? last night I tried buying it and it kept giving me an error. Today on my credit card there are 3 charges for $11.99 but I still dont have the update. WTF! Is there a customer service number?

So basically I just threw away $36 for an update I didnt even get. Thanks Konami, real smart not using PSN.

What should my course of action be? I tried emailing every email I could find but still haven't found any phone numbers.

Killthee

News Bot said:
...And we're only given 510 RP?

Die, Konami.
500 free points for characters created between launch and 7/16 (and 10 free points daily I believe).

Points can also be earned when playing Survival Mode in the Survival Lobby (requires Gene Expansion purchase, Lobby is only open on weekends from 18:00 - 22:00 [PDT], due to the shop troubles Survival Matches have been canceled for this weekend).

Survival Lobby Info:

Rewards:
Participation: 30 Points
1 win: 50 Points
2 wins: 150 Points
3 wins: 200 Points
4 wins: 250 Points
5 wins: 500 Points

The rules are:
12 Players
FF On
Unique Char Off
Enemy Nametags On
Silent Mode Off
Auto Teams Off
Team Switch Positions On
Ghost Pranks Off
TK Kick Off

Survival is not a new rule, it's just a gameplay mode. You play all the other rules (TDM, Res, Cap, Base, Sne, TSNE) and the last team standing wins. Time limit for all rules is 5 minutes with 2 rounds and 20 tickets for TDM/Extra time off for Cap.

Instead of making a room you make a team. Up to 5 other players can join your team. You then compete against another team. There's also a Survival Match List in the Survival Lobby that list all the currently engaged teams in Survival Matches.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Killthee said:
500 free points for characters created between launch and 7/16 (and 10 free points daily I believe).

Points can also be earned when playing Survival Mode in the Survival Lobby (requires Gene Expansion purchase, Lobby is only open on weekends from 18:00 - 22:00 [PDT], due to the shop troubles Survival Matches have been canceled for this weekend).

Survival Lobby Info:

Rewards:
Participation: 30 Points
1 win: 50 Points
2 wins: 150 Points
3 wins: 200 Points
4 wins: 250 Points
5 wins: 500 Points

The rules are:
12 Players
FF On
Unique Char Off
Enemy Nametags On
Silent Mode Off
Auto Teams Off
Team Switch Positions On
Ghost Pranks Off
TK Kick Off

Survival is not a new rule, it's just a gameplay mode. You play all the other rules (TDM, Res, Cap, Base, Sne, TSNE) and the last team standing wins. Time limit for all rules is 5 minutes with 2 rounds and 20 tickets for TDM/Extra time off for Cap.

Instead of making a room you make a team. Up to 5 other players can join your team. You then compete against another team. There's also a Survival Match List in the Survival Lobby that list all the currently engaged teams in Survival Matches.

Wow, that actually sounds pretty cool...

Shito said:

And by "change the appearance of your character" you do mean change the appearance of your character with the same shit that you used to create them in the first place... right? Cause that's what that weak shit is.

NeoUltima

Couldn't they just find a way to stick the expansion pack on the store? Ugh... Can't even get into their crappy store, and even if I do manage to buy it, nobody will be playing the new maps cause they can't get into the store either. Ugh...stupid Konami :(

spwolf

NeoUltima said:
Couldn't they just find a way to stick the expansion pack on the store? Ugh... Can't even get into their crappy store, and even if I do manage to buy it, nobody will be playing the new maps cause they can't get into the store either. Ugh...stupid Konami :(

its funny, everything that Kojima Productions does is nearly perfect... everything that Konami did for this game is fucked up.

Killthee

NeoUltima said:
I doubt the PS Store is setup to work with the system Konami is using with MGO DLC. When you buy DLC off the MGO Shop you're not buying/downloading the content like you would in the PS Store, you're buying the addition of your Game ID into the "DLC member" list the server keeps. Using this method Konami can charge multiple times for DLC if characters on the same system use different Game ID's and they probably don't have to share revenue with Sony.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Killthee said:
I doubt the PS Store is setup to work with the system Konami is using with MGO DLC. When you buy DLC off the MGO Shop you're not buying/downloading the content like you would in the PS Store, you're buying the addition of your Game ID into the "DLC member" list the server keeps. Using this method Konami can charge multiple times for DLC if characters on the same system use different Game ID's and they probably don't have to share revenue with Sony.

Maybe this was also one of the reasons for going exclusive? I don't think this would be possible on a 360, unless you buy unlocks via PC of course. But besides, MS would never allow the Konami ID crap.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
NeoUltima said:
Play more! Also, apply to the main GAF clan, merger is on

News Bot

Banned
I love how all of the latest MGO news in the Online News section of the main menu ends with "We apologise for the inconvenience" or "We sincerely apologise for all ongoing inconvenience". Not a single speck of good news.

Morons.

BeeDog

News Bot said:
I love how all of the latest MGO news in the Online News section of the main menu ends with "We apologise for the inconvenience" or "We sincerely apologise for all ongoing inconvenience". Not a single speck of good news.

Morons.

:lol

BeeDog

The Faceless Master said:
is there a reason why this update is so huge?

It most likely stealth-adds the maps and the new character models. I guess the add-on you buy is just an unlocker. Might be wrong though.

Killthee

BeeDog said:
It most likely stealth-adds the maps and the new character models. I guess the add-on you buy is just an unlocker. Might be wrong though.
Correct, it includes the GENE expansion pack.

Miburou

Seems Konami doesn't want my money. Says online payment not available in my region. Tell me again why they are not using the PSN?

Miburou

Saudi Arabia. That's the region I choose when registering for that Konami/Game ID crap, so I thought I was safe.

My copy of MGS4 is North American, and my PS3 is Japanese, so I have no idea which region I'm playing against in MGO.:lol

Killthee

Miburou said:
Saudi Arabia. That's the region I choose when registering for that Konami/Game ID crap, so I thought I was safe.

My copy of MGS4 is North American, and my PS3 is Japanese, so I have no idea which region I'm playing against in MGO.:lol
From what I've heard, the region of the game decides what servers you connect to.

Dave1988

Miburou said:

Heh, I actually wrote to KONAMI complaining about the MGO shop lock out. I know that I'll get the usual "Yes, sir, we can't do anything about it. So sorry, sir" type of response or no response at all. Maybe if enough people compain about being assraped by them, they'll actually move their assess and do something about it.

Wurm

Banned
My last post on this topic was relatively positive. This is now slowly souring. After finally getting to my PS3 this weekend and hoping this had all blown over.. to receive the MGO Shop Maintenance Page after 3 DAYS is pretty mind boggling when you consider this Add-On is the first source of major direct revenue MGO would be generating for Konami.

I would like to give you my money, perhaps Konami, so you can afford a server or something to deal with internet commerce in the year 2000-and-fucking-8.

Dave1988

Wurm said:
My last post on this topic was relatively positive. This is now slowly souring. After finally getting to my PS3 this weekend and hoping this had all blown over.. to receive the MGO Shop Maintenance Page after 3 DAYS is pretty mind boggling when you consider this Add-On is the first source of major direct revenue MGO would be generating for Konami.

I would like to give you my money, perhaps Konami, so you can afford a server or something to deal with internet commerce in the year 2000-and-fucking-8.

Japanese and the Internet don't mix very well, or how MGO shows us - they don't mix at all.

kairu

FatalT said:

Yeah, I was trying to buy it the other night but got an error message during the final phase. So I went back, and tried again. Got the same error "Network Error". Tried one last time, but no success. Next day... 3 pending charges for $12. The best part is I was never even able to get the update. Thanks Konami.

Wurm

Banned
information_image_hd.gif

O_O

I just picture the MGO Broom-Cupboard department of Konami Online being the solitary workplace of one poor japanese guy flipping the fuck out.

Edit: Purchase Complete! Finally :lol

Killthee

Wurm said:
http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/hd/img/information_image_hd.gif[IMG]

O_O

I just picture the MGO Broom-Cupboard department of Konami Online being the solitary workplace of one poor japanese guy flipping the fuck out.

Edit: Purchase Complete! Finally :lol[/QUOTE]
Wow!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom