• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGO Update! Up Now... Plus Downloadable Expansion pack 1

Zen

Banned
MGO is a freaking incredible multiplayer game, so no matter what I'm still going to play it. The 'boycotting' stuff is silly, but that's my opinion. I'll just wait 2 weeks to get the expansion, I suppose, but Konami is the definition of Epic Fail. At least we get to see the sometimes poorly translated apologies that sound as if whoever wrote them is on the verge of sekuppu. :lol

Wurm

Banned
Theyve just said theyve switched the hourly IP rolling blockouts have now become half-hourly ones, hence why I was able to get mine.

Wish there was a Search filter option or Server just for people with the expansion pack though..

KTallguy

Banned
Wurm said:
Theyve just said theyve switched the hourly IP rolling blockouts have now become half-hourly ones, hence why I was able to get mine.

Wish there was a Search filter option or Server just for people with the expansion pack though..

Yea, I know. They need to add this. You can only block out ones you "can't" join at the moment.

There are some servers that have "GENE EXPANSION" in their title, which is nice.

The new maps are REALLY fun. Quite complex too. I really like the forest one from the MGS4 campaign (the only recycled one), but the other two are quite excellent as well. I think the sewer one is really tricky at first. The dust storm one is great too, but I've barely played on it. There are some cool interior environments to sneak around in.

Playing TSNE on the dusty map was quite exhilarating.
I can't imagine how much thought they have to put into including light and shadow in places so that you can hide with stealth camo or as Snake, how much they have to play test to balance all of the levels in the 5-6 different modes... it's mind boggling.

KTallguy said:
Yea, I know. They need to add this. You can only block out ones you "can't" join at the moment.

There are some servers that have "GENE EXPANSION" in their title, which is nice.

The new maps are REALLY fun. Quite complex too. I really like the forest one from the MGS4 campaign (the only recycled one), but the other two are quite excellent as well. I think the sewer one is really tricky at first. The dust storm one is great too, but I've barely played on it. There are some cool interior environments to sneak around in.

Playing TSNE on the dusty map was quite exhilarating.
I can't imagine how much thought they have to put into including light and shadow in places so that you can hide with stealth camo or as Snake, how much they have to play test to balance all of the levels in the 5-6 different modes... it's mind boggling.

Yep, the new maps are totally worth it. But don't forget the new characters, Johnny is :lol .

number386

Tried to download the gene pack a few minutes ago, but I got a system unavailable message. Even that was a failure because the message was really dark, I had to look at my screen from about a distance of 6 inches to see what it said.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Zen said:
How do Johnny and Meryl work?
It's a server option like Friendly Fire, TK kick, number of players, and so on. When you enable it you have to choose a unique character for each side. They both have special abilities and little quirks (more info about abilities & pics here).

Zen said:
How do Johnny and Meryl work?

They are like captains, a certain player from each team gets one (not sure if random?) They each have their own skills, Meryl can wake up teamates quicker, she is immune to magazines (she is a chick), and has a special D.E. gun.

Johnny can see all traps set by the enemy. I think at random he will crap his pants and then he will emit a gas cloud that will knockout anyone in its path, you can run around with the fart cloud. He is also not connected to sop cause he has no nano's, so he cant link up. He too has exclusive weapons.

number386

Still cant get into the MGS store, to buy GENE. Does anyone know what the size of the MGO community is?

Everytime I play some free games, at peak only 3 servers are full the beginner one (Vamp?) Otacon and Rosemary. Dont know how many are in matchmaking but it does not seem the MGO community is that big, wonder what the bottleneck is.

Zen

Banned
MGO is a great game, but it's still really only going to keep the hardcore MGS fans playing it. I don't find that it's very pick up a play, you have to learn at it. Luckilly the learning curve isn't that high, but you have to put effort into coming to grips with it, and that probably turns off a lot of casuals.

Keep in mind that the servers are region locked, and that people choosing Automatchmaking are seperated from free battle. You usually see Match Making have almost 1 full server, with 20-30-40 peppering the other ones. I'd say at peak you might have 3500-4000 on in North America at one time. I'm sure they get a pretty decent number of unique logins throughout the day.

MGO isn't a huge community, but it's certainly big enough to sustain itself and it doesn't look like people are migrating away from it. I love the game, so I'll be playing it for a long time.

Try logging into the MGO SHOP every half an hour because they're randomly bannign alternating ranges of IP to keep the server load down. It would be nice if they let people who haven't bought the Gene pack still play on the new maps, but not give them acess to Female PMC, Survivor mode, reward points/shop, Meryl etc.

Can anyone who has the expansion comment on the amount of activity on the new maps?

MiamiWesker said:
They are like captains, a certain player from each team gets one (not sure if random?) They each have their own skills, Meryl can wake up teamates quicker, she is immune to magazines (she is a chick), and has a special D.E. gun.

Johnny can see all traps set by the enemy. I think at random he will crap his pants and then he will emit a gas cloud that will knockout anyone in its path, you can run around with the fart cloud. He is also not connected to sop cause he has no nano's, so he cant link up. He too has exclusive weapons.

Meryls not attracted by the magazines? That's a shame, I always figured that the therapy she went under to not be attracted to men might have... y'know... made her more open minded. :lol

News Bot

Banned
The shop is running smoothly for me right now, I can buy it.

...But my credit card decided to make the use of SecureCode (which I do not remember) mandatory and has temporarily locked me out from using the "I forgot it lol" option and being issued a new one.

Great luck.

Also the price for the expansion is ridiculous and they should be ashamed. Corporate whores. Why do they never take into account the fact that the dollar sucks ass and it's economic value is not universal? Now we have to pay double. What the hell?

Ephemeris

MiamiWesker said:

I caught her with some mags before :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Way to knock the PSN in your new OP. Come now, this is not a PSN issue, it's a Konami issue. They could just have used PSN services to handle all aspects of MGO service.

smik

Its is now the 31st of July and im still not able to download the Expansion pack, everything on my side is right but im still getting like many others the dreaded 809 error. And to makes things worst there is no customer support or anything in the liking to get a solid helpful solution, it figures that a games soul purpose of being online and it has no support system whatsoever.

i have tried everything

Tried Buying through PC
2 CC
Used a Different PC

smik said:
Its is now the 31st of July and im still not able to download the Expansion pack, everything on my side is right but im still getting like many others the dreaded 809 error. And to makes things worst there is no customer support or anything in the liking to get a solid helpful solution, it figures that a games soul purpose of being online and it has no support system whatsoever.

i have tried everything

Tried Buying through PC
2 CC
Used a Different PC

Hmm not really sure what to tell you because I bought it just fine despite having initial difficulty.What region are you located in?

I finally started "playing" MGO yesterday, and this definitely has to be the worst online registration concept I have ever seen. Damn. And then Konami even doesn't want to have my 12 bucks for the Gene Pack. :lol

(the game itself is great though)

smik

Hellraizer said:
I finally started "playing" MGO yesterday, and this definitely has to be the worst online registration concept I have ever seen. Damn. And then Konami even doesn't want to have my 12 bucks for the Gene Pack. :lol

(the game itself is great though)

Amen to that!

im actually trying now through PC as im typing

BeeDog

smik said:
worst thing is i dont think konami even know's that there is a problem

:lol Haven't you noticed every news update from Konami in MGO ends with "we are sorry for the inconvenience" or a variation of that sentence?

I get booted out of games all the damn time and the MGO shop doesn't accept payments via entropay. Konami really, really doesn't want my money. Goddammit it all. Goddammit all to hell. :<

Top Bottom